The Brine Woods.

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

popisdead
Former Council Member

Re: The Brine Woods.

Post by popisdead »

Great thread, fantastic Treeman :)
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Vampire Counts, Wood Elves

Post by robtion »

@squidboy: Yes sorry photos are not my strong suit.

@Hutobega: Yep actually the best eyes I have ever done on the elf with the bow. I managed dark outline, white, blue iris, and black pupil, and they're not wonky for once.

@popisdead: Thanks, what do you think of his amigos?

Brief update of my army so far minus the still wip war dancers. The two treekin here are also wip though as need more highlighting, some extras, and basing. I am happy with the smouldering stump guy so far.
IMG_20140310_152101.jpg
IMG_20140310_152116.jpg
IMG_20140310_152210.jpg
SquidBoy
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by SquidBoy »

That bearded druid is epic! Love him.
i'm guessing that u will have problems putting those treekin base to base in a unit formation? They seem to stick out alot with arms and stuff.
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

@squidboy: Thanks, I was happy with how the little elf ears I stuck on him turned out. Yep but I have a plan for that, it involves unit fillers and ranking them up in a specific order. Should be fine I think ;)
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

2 treekin finished.
IMG_20140310_220312.jpg
IMG_20140310_220205.jpg
IMG_20140310_220156.jpg
IMG_20140310_220124.jpg
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

Wip of my forest dragon. Turns out painting the rider and the basing is going to take a bit longer than anticipated so here is a small preview.
Pretty happy with how the eyes turned out.
Pretty happy with how the eyes turned out.
Even managed the white dot for reflection :)
Even managed the white dot for reflection :)
Weirwood
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Weirwood »

Wow those are some beautiful elves and trees D: very jealous!
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

Thanks weirwood.

My forest dragon! Hope you like I'm very happy with how it turned out :nod:

Background

Magus The Sylvan Wyrm

Now almost part of the forest, the sylvan wyrm sleeps beneath a great mound of leaf litter and tangled undergrowth. Sometimes hibernating for scores of years at a time it's bones and teeth have turned to petrified wood. Much like the slugs and snails that live amongst its resting place its thick skin is covered in a toxic slime, a deterrent to those who would disturb its slumber.

When called forth to war the wyrm awakes with an insatiable hunger, its emaciated frame bristling with long barbs, noxious vapours curling from its nostrils. Its glistening hide undulates sporadically, cruel spines waiting to burst forth from beneath its surface at the first sign of danger.

On the battlefield the wrym moves with surprising agility, more akin to a great cat than a creature of rits formidable size. During and often long after the bloodshed, the wyrm continues to feed, gorging itself on its enemies carcasses before returning to its forest lair to carry on its torpor.

On the rare occurance that the wyrm is slain even then it does not truly die. Within its lair, deep in the weald, lies a great egg. Guarded by a brood of impish forest spirits, the egg will hatch upon the wyrms death, imbued with the dragons immortal soul. These diminutive but plentiful spites will then bury the hatchling deep iside its nest, using the toxic ichor that they too secrete to hunt and gather food until the dragon can fend for itself.

The Wyrm's Shadow

Bonded to the sylvan wyrm and to the surrounding forest, one chosen to ride the great dragon is as close to forest spirit as she is to elf. When chosen by the dragon an elf maiden who decides to accept this honour undergoes a transformation in the wyrms nest. Coated in the dragons toxic slime the elf will awake from a long coma as what the other elves refer to as a shadow. The symbiotic relationship formed by this transformation allows the elf to communicate with both dragon and elf, becoming the dragons only way to communicate with its elven allies.
IMG_20140318_210020.jpg
IMG_20140318_204433.jpg
IMG_20140318_204516.jpg
IMG_20140318_205943.jpg
IMG_20140317_205726.jpg
IMG_20140317_205750.jpg
greenman
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by greenman »

That's a nice looking forest dragon! It's what I imagine something that lives deep in the forest would looks like.

I like the forest spirit on it. Did that come with the model, or did you add it? Either way it's a nice touch.

The natural color scheme and the muted greens work really well. It's kind of how I'd like to paint my Warpfire dragon / forest dragon. Do you recall which colors / washes you used?
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

@Greenman: Thanks. The forest spirits are a mix of GW spites and some Malifaux voodoo dolls, and the elf/dryad lady is a well known Reaper model of course. The dragon is the jabberwocky from banebeasts.

Kind of complicated for the colours as I mix lots of custom colours and there are quite a few layers but I' all give it a shot. Sorry, very convoluted process :paranoid:
Primed black.
Coat of rakarth flesh mixed with some green brown and yellow.
Couple of layers of highlighting with the same colour with some white added.
Wash with nuln oil.
More highlighting with rakarth flesh mixed with white and a bit of green.
Some light purple bruising around the bumps on its back.
More highlighting on bumps with flesh/green colour.
Highlighting with nurgle rot technical paint.
Selective washing with corrosion technical paint wiping most of it off with fingers or a dry brush.
Couple of further layers of highlighting with rakarth flesh /green mix, and of nurgle rot.

Wings were agrellean earth technical paint. Wash with agrax earthshade, several layers of burgle rot, to give the crack yet slimy textured effect.
greenman
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by greenman »

Thanks for the detailed info on the paints that you used. I just looked up a couple. It looks like Rakarth Flesh is the new Dheneb Stone. I love that color as a base. I actually just used it to base some areas of the dragon I'm painting right now. It covers really well too. It helps with making that transition from a black basecoat up to something like bleached bone.

I've never used any of the new technical paints. Did you ever use the Typhus Corrosion one? Just read the description on the GW site and it sounds like it's a thicker wash with micro beads in it...
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

I use rakarth flesh in nearly every mini i paint. I love the technical paints, highly recommend them. Yes the second last step on the above paint guide for the dragon was the typhus corrosion. It's really good. Also goes well with the rust technical paint as the rust catches on the beads/grains in the corrosion. Here is my forest blood knight that I used corrosion and rust on from my VC army.

Background:

Their original purpose for entering the dark woods long forgotten, the once elite blood knights of the Spire sit silently on their mounts, their minds as still as the inky shadows that surround them.

The glossy coats of their horses now blanketed in mildew and mould, their once shining armour rusting away, corroded by the dank, lifeless air of the forest.

Gradually the weald bends them to it's purpose, dark magic burrowing through their minds as roots through soil, their physical forms twisting in a display of allegiance to their new master.
IMG_20140302_112842.jpg
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

Love that forest dragon!
When you die, can I have it?
*joke*
*please don't call the cops on me*
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

@Thanks drstrange ;) In 60 years or so it is all yours :nod:
greenman
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by greenman »

The forest blood knight looks great. Did you also use Rakarth Flesh on the horse's body too? The color works really well. I might actually use Rakarth Flesh more often.
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

@greenman: Thanks :) Yep used some rakarth flesh mixed with some other colours green, brown, yellow for the horse. I like how it turned out, hopefully can match the rest of the unit to it when I get around to it.
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

My latest mount WIP in honour of Easter which is of course just around the corner.
Attachments
WIP giant hare mount aka the Easter Bunny.
WIP giant hare mount aka the Easter Bunny.
SquidBoy
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by SquidBoy »

:D brilliant
Tenaka
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Tenaka »

Simply superb work on the Forest Dragon. I love your style - very Blanchitsu!
Ads
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ads »

Where are those treekin models from?

I love your forest dragon too. So different to what you normally see
Allendor
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Chaos Warriors & Beastmen, Bretonnians, Dark elf, Empire & Orcs & Goblins

Post by Allendor »

An elf that I like the look of. Was fun to paint.
I like the look also where did you get her?
No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck.
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the comments, it's motivating :thumbsup:

@Allendor: Reaper mini, see link ;) http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/e ... test/03166

@Ads: Scibor minis. You get a discount if you buy all 3 as seen above (though I missed out as it is a new offer).

@Tenaka: Thanks, that is high praise. I am happy with my dragon and like that he is fairly unique among WE armies.

@Squidboy: Glad you like. Unfortunately not done yet. Will post more when finished.
Malkrit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Malkrit »

Dear Magus,

I know we barely know each other and this may seem rash but..
Will you marry me? I've got this great damp hole near the swamp at the chemical factory and we could totally move into there together. There's great hunting for radio active fish and it's a safe place for little monstrosities to mutate, and I just know you'd totally love the sight!

I understand if you need some time to think about this but I urge you to seriously consider saying yes.

Yours truly,

Malkrit

P.S I make lovely cookies
Allendor
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Chaos Warriors & Beastmen, Bretonnians, Dark elf, Empire & Orcs & Goblins

Post by Allendor »

Love the dragon. Where did you get the model?
Really looks like a forest dragon should.
No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck.
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by robtion »

@Malkrit: Sorry to dissapoint but this elf is already taken. :paranoid: Appreciate the sentiment though ;)

@Allendor: Thanks, that's what I thought, has a very foresty look about it. Maybe because it is kind of a bird-dragon mix with the shape of the snout?

It is the Jabberwocky from Banebeasts (now Meirce miniatures). Let me know if you get one as I would love to see your interpretation of it, it is a far too rarely painted model :thumbsup: