The Great Repaint (Pic Heavy!!)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

The Great Repaint (Pic Heavy!!)

Post by Beithir Seun »

I began repainting my Wood Elves last year in order to take part in GW's Throne of Skulls event last October. I wasn't happy about turning up with my army in the state it was in, as my painting has improved a lot since I first painted them, and so I made the decision to start completely from scratch and repaint everything, starting with the stuff I'd need for a 2000 points list to take to the Throne of Skulls.

I've always fancied doing a Winter colour scheme for my Wood Elves, but when I began collecting them I went with the traditional Summer scheme and then when the current range was released, I continued in the same colours. The Throne of Skulls provided the opportunity to go back and do a better job with my figures, and paint them in a colour scheme and to a standard I was happy with.

That army consisted of 91 models, which I managed to paint from start to finish in 96 days. Those 2000 points represent less than half of all my Wood Elf models though. Originally, I totalled up that I had 128 more Wood Elves to paint - turns out that number was off by quite a bit, as I'd forgotten to include several of the models I had tucked away in boxes and drawers! For your perusal then, here is the complete list of Wood Elf models I'm aiming to get painted this year:
  • 35 old 5th Edition Archers
  • 39 Eternal Guard
  • 4 Dryads
  • 9 new Glade Guard (archers)
  • 3 Mages
  • 6 Lords/Nobles (four on foot, two mounted)
  • 2 Eagles
  • 15 Glade Riders
  • 15 old 5th Edition Glade Riders
  • Dragon
  • 16 Wardancers
  • 12 Waywatchers
  • Treeman
  • 6 Warhawk Riders
  • Orion
  • Ariel
Total - 166 models

Quite a task! Given that I've painted an average of around 130 models per year over the last three years, if I paint all the Wood Elves it will be a good year, let alone tackling any of my other projects. Nevertheless, I am going to plough ahead and attempt it. I've been busy preparing models for painting - if it ever stops raining, I'll even get to go outside and undercoat them, so that painting can commence!
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Re: The Great Repaint!

Post by hutobega »

I'm having trouble painting

9 metal Way watchers
2 metal nobles one with great weapon one way watcher kindred ( looks not use)
1 metal mage
12 Glade riders
30 Glade guard
1 plastic army standard conversion
I have less than 13 days haha.... I wont make it but good luck to you!
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Re: The Great Repaint!

Post by Beithir Seun »

That's pretty ambitious for less than two weeks hugo! I really had to force myself to sit and paint to get my list done, but it does show how productive you can be when you put your mind to it. Best of luck with your efforts!

Before I start off with the new stuff, I thought I'd just share a few pics of the stuff I painted for the Throne of Skulls, for those that haven't seen them already on my blog. Apologies for the size of the pictures! If anyone has trouble, let me know and I can reduce them...

The obligatory army shot:

SquidBoy
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: The Great Repaint (Pic Heavy!!)

Post by SquidBoy »

At first I wanted to go winter with my woodies, but then I went with standard green since my other army is highelves.. :) Your models are very neat and clean! likeing it! :thumbsup:
nice treekin :) on Q on those.. for an official GW tourney, are you allowed to bring scratch built minis? I thought that the strict rules was that all models needed to be GW models?
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Thanks SquidBoy :)
SquidBoy wrote:nice treekin :) on Q on those.. for an official GW tourney, are you allowed to bring scratch built minis? I thought that the strict rules was that all models needed to be GW models?
They're slightly more lenient now - scratch builds and conversions are allowed, provided that you only use GW parts. I couldn't find out whether the restriction on using LotR parts/models for Fantasy is still in place, so I didn't risk taking my Hobbit Eagles to the tournament...
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

So when you going to re paint them then ? :lol:

Only joking mate, they look nice :thumbsup:

What's it like playing a tournament at Warhammer World ? I'd love to go to one of their events but the price tag just puts me off, double the price of most other big events in the UK. Maybe I'll try save a bit of money and go at the end of the year if they have one then...
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

frogboy wrote:What's it like playing a tournament at Warhammer World ? I'd love to go to one of their events but the price tag just puts me off, double the price of most other big events in the UK. Maybe I'll try save a bit of money and go at the end of the year if they have one then...
To be honest, I wasn't too bothered by the price. I haven't played in any of the "proper" UK tournaments for a while now, so I can't really compare it to those prices, but I think it was worth the money overall. As you'd expect, the aesthetics were great. All the terrain is absolutely top-notch; professionally painted Citadel terrain kits, every table is a Realms of Battle board, again professionally painted - it would cost a club thousands to put tables of that quality together. Then, of course, you're playing games inside a castle (albeit a fake one) which beats a sports hall or community centre any day of the week. Every army is fully painted as a requirement, and some of the armies were drop-dead gorgeous and an absolute pleasure to play against. Then you get fed on top of that, with freshly cooked dinners rather than Tesco sandwiches :D

To be honest, it wasn't much like a tournament at all. Yes, everyone wanted to win and there were prizes on offer, but the atmosphere was far more casual than any other tournament I've been to. The overall feeling is that it's just a bunch of gamers having a fun weekend, and someone just happens to win a trophy at the end of it. It didn't feel like a competitive atmosphere at all. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try, even if just once. I think they have two a year; once around February, and one in October. It'd be great if we could get some sort of Asrai.org team together and organise a meet-up!
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Sounds like a great event...

Go team Asrai :D :thumbsup:
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Vampire Counts, Wood Elves

Post by robtion »

Really nice winter elves you have there :thumbsup:

That tournament sounds fun, shame I can never participate in one as I love using alternative minis and will never have a GW only army.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Thanks robtion :)

You never know, if you buy enough figures you might eventually have enough to make up an army of GW-only models :D
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

The Great Repaint - 28/2/2014

Post by Beithir Seun »

OK, getting the Great Repaint under way!

I've spent the last couple of weeks prepping figures for the repaint - stripping some painted stuff, assembling some "new" stuff, rebasing stuff and undercoating (yes, the rain finally stopped!)

The first batch to face the brushes is this:

4 Dryads
9 current Glade Guard
1 old Glade Guard champion (who I'll probably use as a lesser character)
Highborn with GW
9 Eternal Guard
32 old plastic Archers

They've all been spray undercoated white, and as you can see I've painted all the bases (Dawnstone/Codex Grey). Next up, they'll all receive an all-over wash of Nuln Oil. It's not really necessary to wash them all over, but it saves me being neat! It's a nice easy job and doesn't require much concentration, which means it's possible for me to do it while sitting in front of the TV of an evening if I have to spend time with the other half (and it's also possible to do even if a cat decides it's going to sit on my lap while I'm painting, which I found out this afternoon...)

Once these are all washed, I'll start with the proper painting. Meanwhile, I've got 15 Glade Riders lined up and ready to undercoat next, and a bunch of minis mid-assembly which I can work on at will. I always like to have several different things on the go at different stages, so that I can avoid particular jobs if I'm not in the mood and do something easier (like paint bases or wash figures in front of the TV...)

Talking of assembling minis though, I've a quandary I need some help with so I'm calling out to all those people with a Forest Dragon model...

I'm trying to assemble my Dragon, and everything's reasonably straightforward with the exception of the right foot (pictured below). Trouble is, I just cannot work out what the correct 'angle' is for it to attach to the leg. The join isn't flush, so I can't work out how it's supposed to be positioned, and I can't work out a natural angle for the part that keeps the foot on the floor at the same level as the front foot...

So, does anyone have an example of the correct angle/position for the foot, and would someone perhaps be able to take a picture to show me how I'm supposed to attach mine?!

Wargaming93
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves for fantasy...chaos space marines for 40k

Post by Wargaming93 »

Absolutely love your winter wood elves. The colours are fantastic!

Old 5th edition elves! Wow been years since I've seen them! I recall they were my first ever warhammer models back when I was younger.
Samoht
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos Dwarfs, Beastmen, Dark Eldar

Post by Samoht »

Nice theme and great to see the repaint process. I'm doing a fair bit of the same, but I've so far been lazy and haven't done any paint stripping, just repainted over.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Wargaming93: Thanks for the comments! A lot of those 5th Ed elves were my first models as well :D

Samoht: In all honesty, I think if I could rewind a little bit, I don't think I'd have bothered stripping anything either. It's such a hassle cleaning them up! It taking me ages because I can only do two or three models at a time before I get tired of it and go do something that's more productive/less work :smirk:
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Well I really enjoy stripping and often do two models at the same time, just don't tell my wife haha (she's not reading this is she :paranoid: )

Beithir just out of intrest, what do you use to strip you models ? Seen as we're both in the UK (please don't anyone mention simple green).

I've used car windscreen wash which worked and fairy power spray which is a little expensive but good for small one off projects. Also I tryed detol but must of bought the wrong one as it didn't work, same results with asdas own brand disinfectant.

I can't wait to see your dragon, I love that model. Maybe I'll have to get my dragon out of bits box hybernation and paint him up....
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Froggy, you're a bad influence. We're gonna have to seriously think about giving you an R rating or something... :roll:
Beithir just out of intrest, what do you use to strip you models ? Seen as we're both in the UK (please don't anyone mention simple green).
I just use generic nail polish remover - I got the other half to pick me up a couple of cheap 500ml bottles from Wilkos (I think). It's bright pink and perfume-y, but it does the job and as long as you don't leave it in plain sight, no one will laugh at you.
I can't wait to see your dragon, I love that model. Maybe I'll have to get my dragon out of bits box hybernation and paint him up....
It's a great model I think - I like it a lot better than the plastic kit the High Elves got (with the exception of Rab's epic conversion) and the Dark Elf Dragon should be ashamed to show it's face in public, with how weedy and pathetic it looks. I think we should count ourselves lucky in the Dragon stakes! If only I could work out how to attach the damn foot, I'd be painting it already... <.<
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Hello again folks!

Well, it's been a while but I've finally painted some more figures!

The first few months of the year went by with very little progress - the models I showed you awaiting paint are *still* waiting to be painted, but I have painted some others instead. With the new Wood Elf release imminent, I decided to join in with A Tale of Duelling Gamers. It basically follows the well-known "Tale of Four Gamers" format, and April was the first month of the challenge so here's what I painted:
IMG_2473.JPG
IMG_2474.JPG
IMG_2476.JPG
IMG_2477.JPG
Another 30 Eternal Guard to add to those I've already painted. I've got 9 more of these to paint, and then I'll be able to field two units of 30, or one big horde of 60. With the rule changes in the new book, I'm looking forward to trying these out without having to babysit them with squishy characters...

For May's contribution, I'm hoping to pick up a couple of Treemen. At least one will be painted for the ToDG, but I'll be working on other figures at the same time. Being as I'm going to have to wait until the end of this week to actually get hold of the Treemen, I'm hoping to paint those few remaining Eternal Guard in the meantime.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Next update!

The second month of the Tale of Duelling Gamers is now well under way, and I've finally managed to get my hands one of the new Wood Elf Treeman kits for this month's purchases. I've used a mix of parts from each in order to come up with what I think is a unique model. This uses Durthu's legs and waist, the Ancient's torso and right arm, and the Treeman's left arm, right hand (including Strangleroots) and head combined with the antennae from the Ancient.
IMG_2481.JPG
IMG_2482.JPG
Painting has already begun, so I'll get some pictures up soon :D
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

New treeman is it ? So how many extra legs and torsos do you get ? Is it like the daemon prince kit, I made two out of mine with a little green stuff.

I like the pose and see you've gone for the definitely no arguments and time wasting widest part of the base at the front position, I'm not sure about the strangle roots though, I would have had them cuming out of a different part of the wood if it was me, Aight ! :D
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

frogboy wrote:New treeman is it ? So how many extra legs and torsos do you get ? Is it like the daemon prince kit, I made two out of mine with a little green stuff.
Unfortunately, they've gotten wise to that ploy. You only get one set of legs, and enough parts to make one torso. You end up up with a couple of spare heads and plenty of elbow/knee joints, but you'd have to sculpt a lot to make two Treemen out of it...
I like the pose and see you've gone for the definitely no arguments and time wasting widest part of the base at the front position, I'm not sure about the strangle roots though, I would have had them cuming out of a different part of the wood if it was me, Aight ! :D

That was the only way he'd fit on the base with the joints I'd used! :D I was a bit disappointed with the options for the hands actually - if you don't want strangleroots, you *have* to use the sword or staff-holding hands (which you wouldn't want for a normal treeman) and there's only one possible option for the left hand, which means every new Treeman is going to have a massive Wolverine claw...
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

The claw looks good I think, yours is the first one I've seen pointing down. I suppose if you really wanted to you could clip and re-position the claw fingers and create joints to bend them into a sort of fist ? But yours looks good anyway...
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

You could, if you're brave! I didn't have that kind of courage :p To be honest, the amount of poses you can make with the different knee and elbow joints (combined with three different neck and waist joints) is pretty impressive, so you can make each and every Treeman different. It's just a shame that they'll always be "equipped" in more-or-less the same way.
Fitz
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Dwarves, Wood Elves, Tyranids

Post by Fitz »

If you're not averse to nasty chemicals then Nitromors is awesome for METAL models. It's used to clean varnish off wood and the like. Debase your models and stick them in a glass coffee jar, then cover them with the evil slime and close the lid.

I recommend you do this OUTSIDE the stuff is seriously unpleasant. Also get some rubber gauntlets - the kind used for drain cleaning, not basic kitchen gloves, for handling. Leave the gunk to do it's business for an hour, and give the jar a good shake up. Then take an old collander or METAL seive and stick it over your drain outdoors - then either rinse the models in the seive/collander with buckets of water or a hosepipe to get rid of the gunk. The models will be shiny and clean and if there are any stubborn bits they can be easily removed with an old tooth brush.

Do NOT use it on plastics. They will melt...!
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Here we go then, the finished product for May's portion of the Duelling Gamers challenge. Although one model seemed like a hugely underwhelming target for a whole month, in hindsight I'm glad I didn't give myself more to do. I'm not used to painting big models like this, and certainly not this "type" of figure where the colour scheme is completely undetermined. Really, the only model I have to compare to this is the Screaming Bell for my Skaven, but that was easy to paint, relatively speaking. Everyone knows how to paint metal parts, everyone knows how to paint wooden beams, everyone knows how to paint rope and chains, which is essentially all the Screaming Bell is - the colours are already "pre-set" in your head, because you know what they're supposed to look like. But what colour is a living, walking tree supposed to be?

I'll admit I went in rather rashly and began painting before I'd actually thought about *how* to paint the Treeman. I undercoated white (as usual), basecoated all over with Rakarth Flesh (as usual, for my other forest spirits, anyway), washed with Agrax Earthshade (as usual) and then....

Stuck. I had no idea where to go from there. Eventually, after plenty of trial and error, I stumbled on a scheme that I'm more-or-less happy with. In the end, I think I probably spent more time thinking about how to paint the Treeman than actually painting him.

In the end, I don't think he's turned out too bad, and I think he fits with the established colour scheme of the rest of the army (as much as is possible for a living, walking tree anyway). The only part I'm not entirely happy with is the strangleroots shooting out of his hand; they need something more doing with them to really do them justice, but I'm not confident enough to attempt the (seemingly) complicated blending I'd like to do, especially on a deadline!
IMG_2488.JPG
IMG_2499.JPG
IMG_2498.JPG
IMG_2494.JPG
IMG_2497.JPG
IMG_2496.JPG
Anyway, that's another month over and finished on time (he was actually finished a couple of days ago, so I wasn't painting right up until the deadline this time!)

One thing I have realised though, over the course of this month in particular, is that I'm completely rubbish at posting blog updates. In fact, with the ToDG going on, I've even stopped updating on other non-ToDG subjects as well, which isn't good.

I think part of the reason for that is that I really don't like posting WiP pictures. I love seeing other peoples' work in progress shots, but I'm rubbish at doing it myself - I hate the thought of posting the inevitable "here's another picture showing how little I've done in a week" updates. Why would anyone want to see that I've managed to paint another colour on a bunch of unfinished models? And so, I wait until I have a finished product to show which, as you might have guessed, takes me a while. Combine that with the fact that I tend to paint whole units at a time, rather than break them down into smaller batches (like the other ToDG participants seem to do), means that blog updates are few and far between.

All of this isn't intended as a criticism of those people who *do* post WiP updates, by the way. Like I said, I love seeing other peoples' work in progress, and seeing the evolution of models from start to finish. I just can't seem to bring myself to do it for my own blog!

But all that is (hopefully) going to change. For next month (and, if it works, the months thereafter) I'm going to get over my irrational "fear" of WiPs, and post some of my own work in progress shots in an effort to increase the number of blog updates across the month, and hopefully give readers (if there are any!) more to keep them interested!
Samoht
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos Dwarfs, Beastmen, Dark Eldar

Post by Samoht »

Beithir your new treeman is outstanding, so great to see these being painted in smarter and more Asrai ways than the initial release shots. A perfect match with the rest of your repaint and happily looks like a really nice fit for your fantastic, distinct and highly atmospheric treekin. Enviable stuff.

Lots of praise and another painting blog I'm excited to see what you do next.