The Last of The Wilds- Kakapo's hobby corner

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: The Last of The Wilds- Kakapo's hobby corner

Post by Kakapo42 »

Git wrote:I've thought a bit about that too (and I don't comment much myself either). I think the answer is that most readers are much like myself. We read, often to pass time, and is a passive observer. I don't like to write comments on mobile devices, and often don't reply when I've read a post on such a device. Then I forget to reply later on my computer.
Other times I just don't know what to say ("great job" gets old quickly). I'd push a "like" button, but that function would make it even easier to not participate actively in the forum community, and we do need all the interaction we can get. I am guilty of not interacting enough, but I'll keep in mind that others also just wants to see comments as much as I do. :)
Yeah, like I say I generally try not to worry too much about a lack of comments. The first online forum I ever joined was Advanced Tau Tactica (for 40k), and one of the site rules there is "post with substance or not at all" so I fully understand not replying because one doesn't have anything really meaningful to add (indeed it's actually the main reason I myself don't comment on a lot of threads here). It just sort of reached a bit of a breaking point for me recently, or came close to it at least (having high hopes that there'd be lots of replies after posting the first update to this thread in quite a while probably didn't help either).

It's also a bit of a special circumstance as this time I really do want to get some outside opinions about something (specifically continuing with the background parts - I'd be happy to do so even if it's no longer compliant with official 'canon', but I'm not sure there would be much purpose to it if no-one's going to be interested in reading it).
Hyarion wrote:What is the light green you used on your BSB? It came out looking really good.

Why thank you! The light green on the BSB is Nurgling Green, highlighted with Screaming Skull. It's also the same colours that were used for the light green on the Eternal Guard (which turned out to be quite fitting, since the BSB was originally intended to join with the Eternal Guard unit, and they both come from the same place in the background).
Baardah wrote:As I'm not exactly a huge fan of how things have turned in the end times, I would love to read your alternative background Kakapo

That is exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for (well, I'd take "no thanks, I'm not interested in any more alternative background, just keep posting up miniatures" as well, the important thing is getting what peoples' opinions are, but positive encouragement for more background is extra good)! Looks like that's one vote for continuing writing down my background stories.
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

From the moment AoS was first talked about on Warseer, my biggest fear was never what would happen to Warhammer, but what would happen to this site. Now it seems my fears are coming to pass.

In case you haven't seen it, Naggie has announced that this site will be shutting down at the end of June next year. It seems that with the recent developments by GW, activity on here has dropped to a point where the cost of maintaining this site is no longer worth it. I suppose I can understand, but I'm very, very saddened by it.

Ever since I first found this place I've loved it. The first forum I ever joined was Advanced Tau Tactica, so to find such a similar site for Wood Elves (which I was looking to get into at the time) was amazing, and much like Warhammer Fantasy itself I only liked it more the further I got into it. It was a dream of mine to one day be one of the 'big names' on here, making all kinds of posts and content about tactics, hobby, background, even battle reports.

That took a hard hit when the 8th edition book came out. After being thoroughly disappointed by it I took to the dark art of past-hammer and continued to use the 6th edition book that came before it. It meant that my plans to talk more about tactics and post up narrative battle reports would never be, but there was still a chance. I could still post up cool content about hobby and background, indeed I already had some big plans for background stories that I would share with everyone. It might even be that I would end up revitalising the sadly neglected Grove of Tales, and get everyone thinking more about their own background.

Then the ET series happened, and almost overnight my big grand shining visions of background stories crumbled and burned, as they were irreconcilably incompatible with the ET material. But even then out of those ashes arose a new idea. I came up with an idea about how the events of the ET series might never come to pass, with some heroic feats from my own armies and characters. This eventually took on a life of its own and became a fully-fledged story arc just as big as the ET series it would overwrite, and led to some really interesting repercussions for the Warhammer World (which would of course remain more or less intact as it was). As the ET series went on and more and more people started to become disillusioned with it, I thought that I might be able to post my idea on here, as an alternative to the ET background for others to enjoy. I was still hesitant though, for I have seen that the 'cult of officialdom' can run as deep in Warhammer background as it does in rules, so I asked the question on here in a few places to try and determine the level of demand for such a thing. I didn't really get that much of a response (though the few responses I did get seemed positive enough), but as AoS happened and I saw more and more people wanting an alternative that would let them continue to play in the Warhammer World, I leaned more and more in favour of posting my alternative background anyway, to give them just that. I even thought that doing so might give people something new to talk about and even revitalise activity on the site.

But it seems as though it will never happen. The half a year or so before the site is permanently closed down would likely not be enough time for my ambitious background to fully get off the ground, and even if it were I fear it might in fact be too little, too late. This site became a home of sorts for me, and to see it close down is to see a dream of mine die. And the death of a dream is never pleasant even at the best of times.

There's no model update this time. I have some Wood Elf models I've been working on, but University work has put that on hold for the time being, so this time it's just a sort of vent session.

And now to put on A Rose for Epona by Eluveitie and cry for a bit...
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

At long last I have finished the third Glade Guard regiment for my army, The Spirit of Spring.

Image Image Image Image Image

This unit had a troubled development. Things initially went well, but it had to be put on hold part-way through in order to cope with the enormous university workload I had towards the end of last year. Then when production resumed the water glass I use to clean my brushes with was broken in a freak accident, causing further delays while I searched for a replacement. The basing concept used to represent Spring, patches of snow (to show melting snow in a Spring thaw), was one I originally considered for the entire army, but in the end decided not to (I'm a bit of a traditionalist, and uneven snow coverage seemed - and proved - very complex to implement), leaving it for just the Spring themed Glade Guard regiment.

Still no background this time, as I'm still assessing the demand for it. What little response I've gotten so far has been positive though, and seeing more and more people being dissatisfied with official background material is leaving me leaning quite heavily towards 'yes' however...
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Good work, it's a nice unit. Students must be really hard done by if you can't afford to replace a glass after a freak accident lol :D
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

frogboy wrote:Good work, it's a nice unit. Students must be really hard done by if you can't afford to replace a glass after a freak accident lol :D
Students are indeed really hard done by (although my student days are now just behind me), but the main problem was actually trying to find the right sort of glass, which is much harder than it sounds. I was eventually able to get one of the sort that I'm fond of at a local Second-Hand store for a very reasonable price however. :)

And with that, here is the second of my two Wardancer Troupes - The Empty Spiral.

Image Image Image

This is actually the first Warhammer unit I've painted without looking at extensive reference material. The Glade Guard (and related units like the Scouts and Glade Riders) were painted using the guide in the 6th edition Wood Elf army book, while I've looked at as many studio photos as I can for the other units to reverse-engineer the studio schemes. The reference material I used for the Dark Passion Play however was no longer available, so instead I used that earlier Wardancer Troupe as reference material.

The background shortage continues unfortunately, although I'm still leaning towards 'yes'. If you do want to see more background material then please do weigh in, since the more indication of demand for it I have the better.

Finally, I have a special request to make. In order to complete a future planned conversion I require some parts I don't have - specifically the two axes the Wildwood Ranger champion has. I've tried searching for them on bits sites, but none of them seem to have those pieces in stock and I'd rather not have to buy an entire box kit that I don't really want just for two tiny components that I do. Therefore if you do have a spare set of those pieces, please let me know and I'll gladly take them off your hands for you. I don't really have much in the way of parts to trade (I imagine most Wood Elf players would already be swimming in the loose components I do have in abundance, which are mostly from the Glade Guard sprue), but I can provide cold hard cash if needbe. Feel free to PM me to discuss further details.
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

With the second Wardancer troupe finished, my Wardancers have now grown numerous enough to warrant direct representation at the court. So finishing off this latest round of painting is my first Wardancer noble, Aemiria the Queen of Muses.

Image Image Image Image

The model was actually miscast - the spear was quite badly bent. Fortunately I seem to have perfected the technique of adjusting bent resin components through hot water after identifying the key problem with previous attempts: I didn't have the water hot enough. After that and applying it to the right areas (other parts connected to the bent one also needed to be adjusted accordingly) the model was good as new, although I did feel silly after drilling out the bottom quarter of the spear (my original plan was to simply straighten it out by inserting a metal pin through the shaft, but it turned out the drillbit I was using was too large and so ended up destroying the shaft completely. I reconstructed the removed section with wire and greenstuff).
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Well it took a lot longer than I wanted it to, but here it is, the fourth and final unit of Glade Guard, Forever Autumn (yes, I am aware of the irony in naming a fantasy unit with a science fiction reference).

Image Image Image Image

This marks the last of the core units for the army, as well as the last plastic kit - everything else in the backlog is either all metal or a hybrid kit (which in this case means metal with a plastic horse). Oh and a resin model or two as well.

I'm not really sure what else to say really. I have background for this and the other units in the army, but it's not really compliant with GW fiction and I'm not sure what the current audience on here is like to begin with.

If you're around then sing out. Otherwise, enjoy some more pretty pictures.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! too many to mention!!

Post by Cernunnos »

Very nice solid stuff!! Looking forward to seeing more!
Proud owner of Ltd Wood Elves book 446

Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Post by Etheneus »

Nice work. Like the colours!