The Last of The Wilds- Kakapo's hobby corner

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

The Last of The Wilds- Kakapo's hobby corner

Post by Kakapo42 »

Hello there.

Recently my friend took an interest in and decided to get into Warhammer, and so I took it up with them, eager for an excuse to start a Wood Elf army, which was something that had recently looked at doing.

Fast forward a few months and I purchased an army book, battalion box and some paints I needed but didn't have, and just a short while ago finished painting my first Asrai.

Here are the first results, my two test models. As something of a traditionalist when it comes to colour schemes, the colour scheme I'm using is based on that of the main GW studio army, and seeks to emulate it as closely as possible. I am certainly no 'evy metal painter or slayer-sword winner, and they're certainly nowhere near as good as some of the work I've seen in this very subforum but I like to think I didn't do that badly with them.

My appologies for the murky distinction between the two models, the photos became rather mixed up when I was uploading them.
Last edited by Kakapo42 on 03 Feb 2015, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: The Last of The Wilds- Kakapo's tale of 1 and a half gam

Post by Billthesurly »

That's a good, solid, workmanlike paintjob. I'm no Rembrandt but I would say that while you don't need to improve - if you keep going like you're going you will. I don't paint my figures because it is required or because it is expected of me. I paint because it brings my figures to life and makes them mine.

But be warned - unless you become a painter for hire you will reach a point where it becomes very difficult to part with figures you put so much of yourself into. :wink:
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
judesanchez
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by judesanchez »

Nice creation. :thumbsup:
"Silence is the ultimate weapons of power."
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Thank you both for the kind words.
But be warned - unless you become a painter for hire you will reach a point where it becomes very difficult to part with figures you put so much of yourself into.

Oh you don't need to remind me of that fate, I'm already there- I'm not sure what I would do without my trusty old Tau cadre (now with a small but growing fleet to match). I've heard of crazy cat people before, and sometimes I wonder if I might end up as a crazy miniature army person, living out their life surrounded with all manner of painted models. :p

It took longer than I anticipated (in no small part due to an unrelenting barrage of 'varsity assignments), but at long last I have finished my first Wood Elf unit- a small band of Scouts.

And some 'close-ups' (I use the term loosely because my camera cannot seem to focus on things that are actually close/zoomed in, regardless of whether or not I use the macro function) of the unit champion. I'm not sure if Scouts can actually take a unit champion, or any of the other command options (the entry in the Army Book is somewhat vague on the subject), but I modelled one up to be the leader all the same.

On a desolate expanse, a lone sentinel faces the sunset...

Don't worry, I am going to base them, I'm simply going through a shortage of basing supplies at the moment (hence why they're blu-tacked to their bases, so I can remove them, decorate the base, then glue them properly on afterwards).
Nogami
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Nogami »

Kakapo42 wrote: I'm not sure if Scouts can actually take a unit champion, or any of the other command options (the entry in the Army Book is somewhat vague on the subject), but I modelled one up to be the leader all the same.
You can, it's in the FAQ.

By the way, you've done really nice models !
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

I like the colour scheme! It's close to what I want for my own troops, if I ever get new glade guard, or repaint what I have.
GreenmanG
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves but still have a special place in my heart for W40k Orks

Post by GreenmanG »

Wow they look bloody brilliant! I've just bought the G.G, could you possibly mention a few of the paints you used for the greens and browns please? I'm feeling a bit lost with the many shades! :)
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

GreenmanG wrote:Wow they look bloody brilliant! I've just bought the G.G, could you possibly mention a few of the paints you used for the greens and browns please? I'm feeling a bit lost with the many shades! :)
Why thank you! The browns and greens are done with a mixture of new and older colours from the Citadel range, essentially the colours used in the Army book painting example, with the newer analogues to some of the colours mentioned. The brown leather is a basecoat of Doombull Brown (which I find humorously ironic), followed by a layer of Vermin Brown (leaving the shaded areas the base colour of course), and a highlight of Zamesi Dessert. Unfortunately Vermin Brown is no longer produced, but there should be an equivalent colour in the new range.

The green areas are either Elysian Green with an Ushabti Bone highlight or Warpstone Glow with a Scorpion Green highlight (alas, Scorpion Green is another old colour no longer produced). For the cloak and hood I followed the example in the Army Book, with Ushabti Bone over Elysian Green highlighting a Dark Angels Green base.

Wait, I am allowed to name the colours I used right? It's not like being a good magician where you never reveal your secrets is it? :p
GreenmanG
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves but still have a special place in my heart for W40k Orks

Post by GreenmanG »

Haha, well I think it's one thing revealing secrets, but having the skill to implement them is another!

Thank you SO much for your help :)
Beragon
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Beragon »

Great looking models! Can't go wrong with a classic color scheme. I've never considered basing and painting the model separately, so I'm looking forward to seeing your results.
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Beragon wrote:Great looking models! Can't go wrong with a classic color scheme. I've never considered basing and painting the model separately, so I'm looking forward to seeing your results.
Thank you! I got the idea of basing them separately as a solution to my first attempts at basing models, which ended somewhat disastrously (even now one of my Firewarrior teams is still covered from the ankles down in a film of flock). As this will be the first time I have attempted to base a model in nearly 9 years I am also quite interested in what the results will be, though if they're anything like my highlighting they should be much better now than they were before.
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Just a quick update while I slowly paint through my full Glade Guard unit. Just last night I decorated the first base to have been decorated by me for years, a test-base to make sure my ideas work and that I get everything right before decorating the bases of my models. My appologies that it is a bit hard to see, but my camera still refuses to focus on small zoomed in objects or small objects that are close (yes, I have tried using the macro function).

I'm not quite sure about the static grass. It's a bit hard to tell in the images, but it seems a bit flat and randomly-oriented to me, rather than the neat upwards pointing grass in the official GW images. I am not sure how to achieve this effect however, especially on a large scale (I am planning on quite grassy bases).

Any thoughts?
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Sweet Sarloc, it feels like an eternity since I last posted here!

I actually finished this unit of Glade Guard some time ago (around May-Juneish), but decided against taking any pictures of them due to the fact that they were an absolute pain to move. Eventually I finished construction of a movement tray for them, which made them much easier to move at once, but then decided that I might as well wait until I had fully based them and named the unit before documenting them. But just yesterday (well, technically this morning) I did that, and so now, without further ado, I present my first ever Glade Guard unit, and first ever Warhammer regiment, ever, Summer Lightning.

And some shots of the command group and Spite. Not too bad for my first ever standard and Spites, ever.

All in all, I think I did well for so many firsts.
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

So I just finished off painting and basing my Eternal Guard, the Defenders of the Glade of Poppies. Pictures ahoy!

Image Image Image Image Image Image

I attempted to take some detail shots of the command group, but they came out blurry. A shame too, I am quite pleased with how the banner turned out, but it's hard to see in these pictures.

EDIT: Gah! These photobucket sizes will be the death of me! :cry:
Calindor
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Calindor »

Wow, really good looking army. I have not seen it beore and I love all your models. Keep it up. What is next unit to paint?
Ellysia_Banearrow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ellysia_Banearrow »

These do look very nice, and even put mine to shame. What do you do to get the highlights of green and brown? Do you use different colors entirely or just pour some of the main color out and add white to it? This idea of highlights is something I've wanted to try but not sure how to start. That and my elves are pretty varied in colors because I don't use the same green all over. I have like 4-5 green colors total I think.
Check out my set of rules updated to 8th ed! I need more play-testing, so be sure and let me know what you guys thing!

http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24776
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Nice! I suggest using Flickr. One free Terabyte of photo space.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Wow, thank you all for the replies!
Ellysia_Banearrow wrote:These do look very nice, and even put mine to shame. What do you do to get the highlights of green and brown? Do you use different colors entirely or just pour some of the main color out and add white to it? This idea of highlights is something I've wanted to try but not sure how to start. That and my elves are pretty varied in colors because I don't use the same green all over. I have like 4-5 green colors total I think.

I use entirely different colours for my highlights. I'm still not very confident in my painting skills, so I tend to keep my colour schemes as simple as possible, using set colours where possible. For example:

Dark greens: Dark Angels green/Caliban green base, highlighted with Elysian green, with a final highlight of Ushabti bone.

Rich/medium greens (Glade Guard): Warpstone glow bas, highlighted with Scorpion green.

Light green (Glade Guard): Elysian green base, highlighted with Ushabti bone.

Light green (Eternal Guard): Warboss green base, highlighter with Nurgling green, with a final highlight of Screaming Skull.

Browns: Doombull brown base, Vermin brown/Skrag brown layer highlighted with Zamesi dessert.

If you're unsure what colours to use, take a look at the paint range you use (I use Citadel, but others sometimes use other ranges), and try and find a colour that looks at least one shade lighter than the colour you want to highlight. It might not necessarily be the same sort of colour (tanned yellows can be used to highlight light browns, oranges can highlight light reds for example). If you still can't find something (or can but want to highlight further), then whites and creams can be used to highlight nearly any colour.

For application, use a very fine brush and only tiny amounts of paint (just on the very tip). It might take some time to apply all of the highlights, so you may need to be patient.
godswearhats wrote:Nice! I suggest using Flickr. One free Terabyte of photo space.

Yeah, I currently use photobucket since I already have an account on it (for another hobby log), but the new size system on it has really thrown me out of kilter. I think I'm starting to zero in on the ideal ratio, so hopefully the next set of pictures won't be so enormous.
Calindor wrote:Wow, really good looking army. I have not seen it beore and I love all your models. Keep it up. What is next unit to paint?
Why thankyou. Next up are some Dryads..
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

And now my newly finished Dryads, The Scaretale. At first I did not like the Dryad models, but after experiencing them first hand they have certainly grown on me. I did find them a bit of a challenge to paint however, as I could never tell which areas to highlight (I managed to work out a system in the end though). I wasn't happy with how they turned out at first, but like the models the results have grown on me and now I am quite pleased with them, especially the Spites on the Branch Nymph and her two compatriots.

Image Image
Image Image

They also rank up rather nicely too.

Image Image

EDIT: sorry about the enormous image sizes people. I've tried a bunch of different things, including resizing them even smaller than the last set and inputting them in different formats, but nothing I do seems to make them any smaller.

SECOND EDIT: and now when I come back to check on this thread again these pictures are all the right size! Methinks some rascally Spites are playing a trick on me..
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Right then, I recently finished my unit of Glade Riders, The Zephyr Through The Leaves. Well enough to post them on here at any rate, they still need their bases marked and a movement tray, but the models themselves are painted and based. Like Dryads, I originally was not going to get any Glade Riders, as I did not find the idea of painting horses very appealing. But they were in the Battalion box, and I figure I can use them to help learn how cavalry and fast cavalry work, so here they are. The horses turned out to be much more painless than I anticipated, but even then I'm not thrilled by the results and have no burning desire to paint many more in the future (the Unicorn for my Spellsinger* excepted).

Image Image Image Image

*Yes, you read that right, Spellsinger. The hero level one, with Lore of Athel Loren, and on a Unicorn.
Last edited by Kakapo42 on 28 Jan 2015, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Wow your doing really well. My favourite is the glade gaurd , I think the highlights and that on the greens looks great. The horses are good, I'd suggest repainting the yellow one though as you said your not happy with them and that one sticks out. Fantasy army's generally look better when the units are all uniform. Just a suggestion.

:D

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Heh, don't read too much into me saying I'm not happy about them, I'm extremely self-critical and tend to notice the flaws and faults with something I did more than any of the positive points about it. I could probably win a Slayer Sword and still not think I'm a very good painter. :lol:

I'm actually quite torn about O'l yeller in the back there. It was my attempt to replicate the yellow-ish horse in the official studio Glade Rider unit example (you can see it in the Army book and on the Glade Riders page, it's in the back row closest to the camera). Unfortunately as it turns out I can't mix colours for toffee, so the end result was much brighter than intended. One minute I can't stand it, since as you say it does stick out, but the next minute I love it to bits because it's unique and adds variety. And then I worry about how the Poor Glade Rider would feel if I were to repaint it, since they do form an extremely close bond with their steeds after all. :p

I think I'll leave it for the time being, mostly because I've already glued the Glade Rider to it, but if it gets too much flack and/or said rider breaks off then I'll probably repaint it. At least it's on the edge of the back rank, so it'll almost certainly be the first one to be removed as a casualty.
Tenaka
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Tenaka »

Personally I love the Palomino (or is it a Buckskin?) horse - it gives a great 'pop' to the Riders unit, which I think looks great by the way. If you were wanting to be purist about it - darken the mane and tail to be a true Buckskin or lighten to almost white to be a Palomino. But lets be honest - we paint Wood Elves for the artistic licence to do what we want - not copy the real world!
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

I honestly have absolutely no idea what breed of horse it's supposed to be- I copied the colours from the Glade Rider example photos in the army book, using directions from May's White Dwarf (the one about the High Elf release) where possible. Unfortunately it didn't seem to cover the yellowish one in the army book example.

Like I say I think I'll keep 'ol yeller for the time being. I can always say it's a magical mystical Forrest horse. :p

Anyway, remember how I said I'm really self-critical and always see the flaws in anything I do and not the achievements? Well it's come as a shock to me but this might be the first time ever that I've actually been satisfied with a finished model. I just finished my Highborn/army general, and I'm actually quite pleased with how he turned out.

Image Image Image Image

It's a bit hard to see because the photos are so dark (I'll have to see if I can find a second light floating around, one and a reflecting CD just doesn't seem to be cutting it), but that strange dark green bird at the back of him is meant to be a Kakapo, a type of rare parrot that's my favourite animal and somewhat iconic to me (as you can see by my choice of username). Being a strange nocturnal forest parrot with excellent camouflage I feel it fits well enough with the Wood Elves, and it was possible to paint an owl up as one because they have very owl-like features. I actually think I did a pretty good job at painting one, though like I say it's sadly really hard to see in the photos.

And here he is leading the troops.

Image Image

It's actually really hard to fit him into the Glade Guard, due to how I have them posed, and a bit of an awkward fit at that. He fits just fine into the Eternal Guard though.

And, what's more, now that my general and leader is finished I can finally start writing down the background I have.

Maxamaron, Wishmaster of the Meadows of Heaven

The current Wishmaster of the region of Athel Loren known as the Meadows of Heaven, Maxamaron has come to be cherished by his subjects, and his reign is considered to be the most prosperous time since the start of the Secret War, though his rule may soon be coming to an untimely end.

Early in his reign, Maxamaron was tragically injured while leading the defence against a raiding force of Druchii, when a cornered sorceress lashed out at him with an enchanted knife. While the physical damage left behind by the blade was swiftly healed after the battle, it's magical impact proved far more damaging, having channelled a portion of the concentrated distilled chill and malice of all Naggaroth directly into his being. Though the combined efforts of the greatest mages in the Meadows of Heaven managed to save him from an agonising death, they could not completely undo the damage done, and to this day Maxamaron has suffered from what has come to be known as 'the winterheart'. Each day as the seasons pass, his heart slowly grows colder and colder, and in time it will freeze over. The magics originally used to save him from the full effects of the fateful strike ensure that this will not kill him, instead his sanity will break and shatter and he will be left a gibbering, feral wreck until the end of his natural lifespan, trapped forever in the ruins of his own mind. Even now the mages and academics of the Meadows of Heaven tirelessly search for a cure before it is too late, but alas all the remedies they have thus far devised have only been able to slow the onset, not remove it entirely.

The winterheart does however prove to have one silver lining. Because of the radically changed internal balance it has caused, Maxamaron is completely unaffected by the differing seasons. Unlike many other denizens of Athel Loren, his wits are just as sharp in the icy nights of Winter as they are in the blazing noon of Summer, allowing him to effectively rule all year round. This does of course also have the effect of straining relations with the forest at times, with many of Athel Loren's spirits outside the Meadows of Heaven shying from or even outright avoiding his presence, finding him to be an anathema. This is especially true of Orion and the Wild Riders of his court, who are traditionally hot of temperament, and so the Meadows of Heaven have in recent times had little direct dealings with the King in the Woods, and has become one of the territories of Athel Loren that has little to no involvement in the Wild Hunt. In contrast however, weather from compassion or pity, Ariel has proven much more tolerant and welcoming, and the Meadows of Heaven consequently are becoming increasingly aligned to the Mage Queen of Athel Loren.

Knowing full well his time may be short, Maxamaron has taken it upon himself to strive to be the best ruler possible, for he is fully aware that before long he and his reign may live on only in memory, and that it is therefore the memories of his deeds that he will be judged by. As a result perhaps more than many other lords and nobles of the Asrai Maxamaron strives to balance compassion with just fury, and is both kind to his subjects and fair to guests in his realm, be they Elf or fortunate traveller, though his unstable equilibrium does mean that he can swiftly change mood to cold uncompromising wrath without warning. He also heeds the counsel of experts in fields he is unfamiliar with well, combining it with his own knowledge so that his decisions may be as wise and sound as possible, and remembered fondly by future generations. Thus far he has proved to be a highly capable leader in both peace and war.

Though his days as a coherent being may be numbered, Maxamaron has time and again proved worthy of the crown, ceremonial longsword and royal cloak of Wishmaster, weather on the battlefield with bow of Loren and enchanted bodkin or in court discussion with wisdom and language.

So that's my first ever Warhammer background, and my first ever fantasy background in general, as well as the first time I've really written about a character I've created (my other background work has thus far been about equipment or story pieces rather than a character bio). Ideally it's not too terrible. :D
bluebonnet78
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: wood elves, empire

Post by bluebonnet78 »

interesting bio.
I liked the glade guard minis and i like the idea of a good character slowly growing more feral or losing touch with his humanity through a wound. But I wonder though since he is becoming cold of heart and eventually he will grow insane, , isn't it impossible or pointless for him to try and become kind and compassionate towards others? maybe i'm overthinking it...

And I suffer from the same self-critical complex of not appreciating the good things in my miniatures too because i'm always comparing it to guys that have lots of ability or experience. I wonder if there is some sort of therapy for this. ;)