The Silver Sentinels of The Amber Glade - 1500pt Army Shot

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Tenaka
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: The Silver Sentinels of The Amber Glade (Updated 14 May)

Post by Tenaka »

@Bael - thanks for the comments, coherence of the theme across the Army was always going to be tricky with the Elves rather than the Tree Spirits. I've just tried to stick to a simple scheme which can be translated to different models. Hopefull the pics below show that as a formed group the theme starts to tie in together even if on an individual model it doesn't look quite right!

Also, I don't have copyright on the theme - jump in and give it a shot (after you've done your impressive looking Nobel on Great Bear of course!), it'd be great to see somebody elses take on it.

Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Looks really really good. Those stripes in the birch bark....did you carve em before painting or is it just paint? It looks very good and natural. Really like the ornaments on the GG horn.
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Tenaka
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Tenaka »

Thanks alot Baardah - the stripes are just painted on. When I looked at the GW GG standard I saw that they had painted on the grain of the wood so I've tried to do the same with the horn and standard. It's not a patch on the GW versions but I like the effect all the same!
Forestcrab
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Forestcrab »

I like your theme alot!
The colours are beautiful and the details are really nice.
Well done.
Tenaka
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Tenaka »

Thanks alot Forestcrab - nice to get your thoughts. Just working on a scratch built Treekin - like many others on here, I just don't like the GW version. I'll post a few pics tonight after I've given him a spray.
kaiser_resiak
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Chaos warriors, wood elves

Post by kaiser_resiak »

Can't believe I haven't commented on this yet! I love the birch idea! Your painting style is really neat and you have a nice sense for detail - the freehand on the banner and on the banner bearer's helmet is very nice. I like your treeman too.
The Vengeful Asrai - my wood elves
Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Post by Kulgan86 »

Really nice work. I would love to see a ' army ' picture but you're not finished I think?
SquidBoy
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by SquidBoy »

:thumbsup: lovely attention to detail. Nice clean and consistent, I bet they look awesome together on the tabletop!
Ethiluin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ethiluin »

absolutely love the (unique?) colour scheme. and your attention to detail on your glade guard is making me think I need to revisit mine!
Frimbleglim
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Eldar

Post by Frimbleglim »

Absolutely beautiful. Amazing.
Elf-light, bat-light,
Touchwood-light and toad-light,
And the sea a shimmering gloom of grey,
And a small face smiling
In a dream's beguiling
In a world of wonders far away.
Tenaka
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: The Silver Sentinels of The Amber Glade (Updated 27 Oct)

Post by Tenaka »

Thank you so much for the very kind and generous comments and apologies for not thanking you sooner. Given the standard on this site it's particularly heartening to get some positive feedback. My summer has been really busy and only recently have I been able to spend some time painting.

As such, I've painted a few more Glade Guard to make a total of 10, I've done a trial Treekin from scratch as for whatever reason I just don't feel the GW ones, and finally I've completed the free 6" wood consistent with the theme. I'm going to keep plugging on with the Glade Guard until they are a unit of 18 and then continue with the Treekin to a total of 6. It'll be slow progress given my work commitments but I'm in no rush......

Hope you enjoy the latest pictures.

Last edited by Tenaka on 23 Jan 2012, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
Rowena
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Rowena »

WOW! This is so awesome!
I love the colpur scheme (so original!), the freehand, the treeman (his expression seems very wise to me... that kind of wisdom that comes with great age), the wood... everything. :drool: Only... why do the birch tree spirits have oak leaves? ;) (The fact that they look just perfect with them is a good reason though. :) )

How did you make the trees? The leaves on them and such?
Tenorikuma
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tenorikuma »

Wonderful and unique painting scheme, and that grove of birch trees is awesome.
The Forest Lord Daereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by The Forest Lord Daereth »

I do love the birch theme! Want to copy that... :ninja:
Always remember the first rule of military command: "They don't like it up 'em!"
Tenaka
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Tenaka »

Thanks for the very kind comments guys and feel free to copy away - it'd be great to see someone elses take on the theme.

@Rowena, I particularly like your take on the Treeman; a wise old tree indeed! To answer your very perceptive point about the wrong leaves, it was purely a matter of the wrong leaves being sent and me being too impatient with my trial Dyrad to send them back; too impatient and the fact that I really liked them of course!

As for the trees, I must confess that I didn't make them, only the base and their root bases. I ordered them from Sterling Models (a US model terrain company) who were excellent and really helpful - they were the best autumnal trees I could find on the market and I wasn't disappointed. The leaves are actually sprayed and preserved Sesame Bloom (I asked them as I want to do a couple of themed watch towers).

I hope that helps.
Last edited by Tenaka on 08 Dec 2013, 21:34, edited 3 times in total.
Rowena
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Rowena »

Thank you very much, I'm sure it will help immensely. I have just checked Sterling Models and treit trees are lovely.
And I completely understand about using the leaves that were sent to you. As I said, they look awesome on the dryads, I was just curious.

And I'm looking forward to any new models you might finish. The birch theme is simply lovely. :)
ftayl5
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ftayl5 »

These models are lovely, awesome theme.
Only thing I don't like, is the humanness of the Treeman's eyes, personally I prefer holes similar to the GW one. But an awesome sculpt and paintjob either way.
Newest treekin looks great and I love how the Glade Guard blend in with the trees so well, looks great!
Keep it up.
v3n
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by v3n »

This is a great looking army, strong theme and well painted too. I'm afraid that i'm going to have "borrow" your idea for the sterling trees, do you happen to know what size those trees are on your free wood?
Tenaka
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Tenaka »

Thanks guys, your comments are really appreciated. The trees in the free wood are 2x5" and 1x6". I've got a few more trees as I'd love to have the Army on a fully autumal display board.
Tenaka
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Tenaka »

I've finally finished my BSB - Ifandial. It took me a while to work out how I wanted him to look but given that he will sit in the block of 20 Glade Guard, I wanted his outfit to blend in and let the standard catch the eye. After alot of drawings and designs, I'm pretty pleased with the banner design. I hope you all like it despite the dodgy camera work!

sirginyu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: The Silver Sentinels of The Amber Glade (Updated 23 Jan

Post by sirginyu »

wow.simply amazing, one of the best standards I've seen so far. is it all freehand?
Moose123
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Moose123 »

Love the theme of your army. The BSB is just amazing, I really like the image on it.
But here, cleverly disguised as a bomb, is a bomb.
-Bullwinkle

If you keep saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of being a prophet.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
Rowena
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Rowena »

Wow. Just... wow.
I love this army as a whole (and have all the pictures saved in my computer to drool over them), but the BSB is just breathtaking.
Puff the Pixie Eater
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Puff the Pixie Eater »

Awesome paint, unique theme, tree-mendous treeman, just astounding harmony in color palette, and inspiring leaf motif on the cloak, helms. I will be stealing some ideas :D

The expression on your treeman is priceless. Good rootish hands. Bravo bravo! :nod:
Tenaka
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Tenaka »

Thank you very much for the kind comments; it makes it all the more worthwhile and makes me keen to keep improving. I nearly have the unit of 20 Glade Guard finished so hope to have them posted within a couple of weeks or so.

Sirginyu - It is all freehand, I'm just not as good as others with the green stuff so prefer a relatively plain surface to work off.
Puff the Pixie Eater - It'd be great to see some off my ideas or themes incorporated into others work, it'd be a great compliment so fire away.
Rowena - You need to add your painting blog onto here as you've got a really unique and purest take on the Asrai that I've not seen on here before - I think alot of people will like it.