My growing summer wood elves: new Glade riders added

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Playonwords
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

My growing summer wood elves: new Glade riders added

Post by Playonwords »

Hi guys

Heres a selection of my growing wood elf army - im doing a summer theme. Photos are a bit out of focus i know, but id appreciate any feedback

Cheers
Attachments
Not based yet i know - and command group not quite finished yet
Not based yet i know - and command group not quite finished yet
I have 8 more - but i like these the best.
I have 8 more - but i like these the best.
The grey one will be the treekin elder - and ill add 3 more when i get the time
The grey one will be the treekin elder - and ill add 3 more when i get the time
Last edited by Playonwords on 24 Aug 2015, 03:33, edited 5 times in total.
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Re: My growing summer wood elves

Post by Baardah »

REALLY neat models with a crisp, clean colourscheme. I like em alot. Specially the highlights on the GG cloaks is perfect. Keep it up. And give us more :)
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
powerclaw
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Warriors of Chaos, Wood Elves, Eldar, Space Marines

Post by powerclaw »

A really good theme and well executed with clear lines and neat highlights. The very center Glade Guard's hairline is a little thick and makes the model look weird. The tree spirits look awesome and I love the one green Dryad (I'm assuming this is the Branchwraith or Nymph). Great work.
Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right. -Isaac Asimov
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Now that's a model army! (You asked for it... :p )

As the other guys have remarked, really distinct colours and highlights. And I also agree that black lines between flesh and blonde hair does not look good. Plus the flesh is a bit flat. But these are about the only details that drag the impression down, they really are eyecandy. :nod:

I feel the need to ask you too to please enter your Treekin in the September Modelling Challenge. Competition is getting tough, but yours are truly excellent.
Playonwords
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Playonwords »

Thanks guys

Yeah my wife said the same thing about the black lines in between the hair and the face, it does look odd - im pretty sure i can paint over that with the tallarn flesh foundation paint. And i think i can put some more ogryn flesh wash to make the skin look less "flat". I just wasnt sure how much effort to put in with core troops like glade guard, theres another 22 to go!

Herald, how exactly do i enter this "September Modelling Challenge"? Bear in mind i havent modelled these treekin per se - just painted them.

Cheers
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Playonwords wrote:Herald, how exactly do i enter this "September Modelling Challenge"? Bear in mind i havent modelled these treekin per se - just painted them.
The name of the challenges are indeed a little misleading, as we run two different sorts:
-The monthly ones are really simple painting contests, but as people are welcome to show off conversions as well, and to keep the theme open, the term 'Modelling' stuck here as well. Entrying is simple: Post a picture in the Challenge thread found in the 'P&M Challenges' sub-forum in the Meadow of Arts.
-Our bi-annual challenges, on the other hand, are true modelling contests, requiring conversion or modelling work, and WIP pics as well as of the finished painted model.

Really hope we'll see you there! :)
onfire
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by onfire »

I agree that these are excellent. Especially the green dryad/branchwraith.

In terms of constructive criticism, the fletching on the glade guard quivers is kind of distracting, since it's not a real prominent part of the model, but the color stands out so much. When you base them maybe you can put some bright mushrooms or flowers on the base to blend that together a bit more.

On the whole they are awesome! Keep it up!
Playonwords
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Playonwords »

Finally finished this archer unit. Not much of an accomplishment i know, but i was proud all the same
Fnords
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Fnords »

Think your Glade Guards looks excellent!

Please don't put the rest of us struggling down, by saying it's not an accomplishment.

Keep it up
Playonwords
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Playonwords »

Thanks Fnords

I didnt mean it wasnt an accomplishment in that i dont think they look good - im certainly happy with them, and i probably cant paint much better than that. I just meant that to finish a tiny unit of 10 glade guard isnt particularly noteworthy.

Cheers
Playonwords
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Playonwords »

Just finished my Lord with great weapon - no originality in my paint scheme i know, but i just wanted to be sure it'd look ok
Attachments
DSCN2231.JPG
DSCN2226.JPG
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Love your painting. The models look really tidy and crisp. There is no Shake in usunt atraditional colorscheme AS long as it's well done like yours.

If I had to find something to criticize I'd like to see alittle more detail in the face of the hero. I don't think it's nescessary to paint the eyes of RnF, but details like that makes the characters stand out.

If I'd have to pick a favorite part of that model I'd say the metal tecnique you use. Looks very good. Can't decide if I like the sword or the armor best ;)

Edit: also, you should paint the one gladeguards bow more like the rest. It has too much gold compared to the others. Now I'm nitpicking. Sorry
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.

That item is a horse...
Playonwords
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Playonwords »

Thanks for that Baardah

Yeah the resolution of the photo doesnt show as much detail on the face of the lord as i actually put in - but it does actually have at least 3 layers of shading, plus the eyes were painstakingly put in - just shows ill have to take better photos! The metal technique isnt particularly special - simply some chainmail highlihght over shining gold. And the sword is asurmen blue ink over chainmail, then highlighted with chainmail again.

The one gold-bow gladeguard was my first from that lot before i had settled on a colour scheme, initially i thought gold bows wood be cool, but then regretted it. I can go back and paint over that i think.

I dalso just like to say in return i like your pianting a lot too Baardah. Your treekin for the october monthly challenge a while back were awesome - and obviously quite a few others agree. I wish i could convert models like that. As yet i havent even tried cause i think ill stuff it up badly.

Cheers
Gildesh
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: woodies and gobbos

Post by Gildesh »

verry tidy paintjob and much like your self i love this mini!!
the classic scheme suits it well and i would have painted mine in these colours but i had a winter theme army although i may get another just to paint in the greens :D
if i could make 1 comment on your moddel it would be that the red could do with more depth although it could be the photo it is a problem i have a lot lol but all in all good tidy work :thumbsup:
Playonwords
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Playonwords »

Thanks Gildesh

Btw - love your models as well - just had a long look at your winter wood elf pics. I really like the snow effects and other "extra stuff" youve done.

Cheers
Malkrit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Malkrit »

What are your colour schemes? For elves and spirits alike, because I have summer elves but I'm a bit struggling over a colour scheme.
I have a dark colour scheme from the GW site now, which is used by some other players on asrai too, but I think they are not bright enough to really be seen on the table top.
Playonwords
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Playonwords »

Well, all my stuff is undercoated black for a start. Then for the elves cloaks it's knarloc green washed with thraka green with increasing amounts of bleached bone added to highlight. The very tips are highlighted with rotting flesh. The browns for boots and other leather are scorched brown with calthan brown added successively to highlight.

For the dryads and treekin it's mostly khemri brown washed with devlan mud with dheneb stone successively added to highlight by drybrushing. These can be done really quick! The grey ones are astronomican grey washed with badab black then drybrushed with increasing amounts of skull white.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Malkrit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Malkrit »

Okay, Thanks man.
I must pick up some additional paints, but that's no point.
When my test model's finished I will post a picture to honor your great painting schemes. :p

Your models look great and I'm LOVING your colour scheme..
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Playonwords wrote:I dalso just like to say in return i like your pianting a lot too Baardah. Your treekin for the october monthly challenge a while back were awesome - and obviously quite a few others agree. I wish i could convert models like that. As yet i havent even tried cause i think ill stuff it up badly.

Cheers
Thanks youreself ;) When it comes to converting. Dont be put off. Its not alll that. It just comes to having enough bits. I come up with converting ideas mostly by looking at the bits i have and then seing what they can be used for. The Dryadtaur treekins was actually one of the easiest conversions i ever did and my best result too. All the bits came from the battalion box. I'm working on a tutorial for those, but shortly put, I just cut the legs off dryads. making shure the "barkskirts" where intact. Then they fit quite nicely on a headless elven steed. I fixed the dryad to the horse using Greenstuff wich i just ripped into barkeffects with a scalpel. Then put on the various dryadbits as I saw fit. no plan at first really. I got inspiration from the draydtaurs from World of warcraft actually. When it comes to greenstuff start off with making fur, hair or wood. its the easiest to get good. then from that work your way up to more advanced sculpting. It brings a new dimension to the hobby. Another trick I have come up with when it comes to conversions is using Greenstuff to put parts together until you get the pose you want. That way you can bend and try out different positions of arms and such until you're satisfied. Then you can use glue or just let the GS set and thats it.
Also for larger things, try to build up Greenstuff in layers. first step being just getting the approximate shape you want. the layering on until you have what you aim for. Keep posting pics though. Your models are eyecandy :)

That item is a horse...
Playonwords
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Playonwords »

Thanks for that Baardah

Maybe ill give it a go sometime - i dont have too many bits floating around for wood elves at the moment, but when i do, i promise ill try. Those pointers will definitely come in handy too.

And Mòrthûr, thanks for the compliments. I should say though - my instructions before were a bit brief. If you're very keen to try what i did exactly let me know ill give a more detailed guide. Its not that much more though - just some things i realised later which might also be important.

Cheers
Malkrit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Malkrit »

Would be great, I'm always eager to learn more about colour schemes and painting techniques.

A friend of mine plays dwarfs and has converted a Skaven infiltrator which is basically, a skaven in dwarven armour (heavy armour, helm, shield etc.).
It turned out to be a fantastic model, but he never used greenstuff before. :nod:
Playonwords
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Playonwords »

Ok here goes:

As stated before, all undercoats of mine are black

For the elves:
Cloaks are knarlock green, shaded with thraka green ink. Highlight with knarlock green, then knarlock green with ever increasing amounts of bleached bone. I did 3 layers of this. Finish by coating the tips with rotting flesh. All boots and leather are scorched brown, shaded with devlan mud, then highlighted with calthan brown/scorched brown, then calthan brown, then calthan brown/bleached bone. Wrist-guard things are dheneb stone, shaded with devlan mud, then highlighted with dheneb stone again. Flesh: tallarn flesh, then tallarn flesh/elf flesh, then elf flesh. Hair is either Iyanden Darksun drybrushed with bleached bone, or astronomican grey drybrushed with skull white.

For the treekin and dryads:
For brown guys its a basecoat of khemri brown, shaded with badab black ink, drybrushed over with khemri brown, then lightly drybrushed with khemri brown/dheneb stone. Some bits like dryad hair and antler type things require more careful application (i.e. NOT drybrushing). For the grey ones, its a basecoat of astronomican grey, shaded with badab black ink, drybrushed over with astronomican grey, then lightly drybrushed with skull white. Again be careful with some of the hair antlers. Leaves are dark angels green, highlighted with snot green, then lightly highlighted with scorpion green.

If you want to know colours for the spites let me know - those were done all sorts of different bright colours, but id be happy to share that info if you want.

Cheers
Playonwords
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

New additions to "My growing summer wood elves"

Post by Playonwords »

Hi all again

I'm slowly trying to add to my summer elves - it was originally going to be part of an army for my first ever tournament here in Australia (Cancon - anyone heard of it?) but ive been too slow. But ill show you what ive done nevertheless.

Firstly my treeman: the old Durthu model. I painted him ages ago (not very well i might add - bit too much white drybrushing) but have re-based him with a 50x50mm monster base - he is so tiny compared to the new treeman GW has released!, and embarrassingly smaller than my great eagle, but im not spending another $100 for the new one.
Secondly, the great eagle - didn't really know what creatively to do with it, so just tried to paint it GW style.

Anyways, hope you like
Last edited by Playonwords on 24 Aug 2015, 03:47, edited 1 time in total.
treescape
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: wood elves, Imp guard

Post by treescape »

really nice work!!

i really like the flesh on the BSB. what are your stages?
the trees are dead and dried out waiting for something wild
Playonwords
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Playonwords »

Thanks treescape

The flesh is pretty much tallarn flesh over the black undercoat, washed with ogryn flesh, then tallarn flesh again. This is highlighted with 50/50 tallarn flesh and elf flesh, then elf flesh on its own, then 50/50 elf flesh and skull white.

Cheers