The wardens of the Wild Heath. Update February 3rd.

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Dogmar
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: The wardens of the Wild Heath. update may 5th. Gladeriders

Post by Dogmar »

Wow, what a nice army you have. I really like the theme, the conversions and the painting. A very good standard from a technical point of view. Especially the tattoos on the wardancers and the glowing eyes/runes caught my eye. Also the pegasi riders ar a cool conversion, never thought of other flying animals as a replacement for the warhawks really, but hell why not, even bretonnians have them, so why wouldn't the elves be able to get along with them?!

On your Orion and Ariel models again: I do to an extend agree with the little critics that were brough up, but don't let this discourage you. The paint jobs are awesome from a technical point of view, but as it has been said the models lack focus. Let me elaborate shortly: This is best explained with an experiment, close your eyes for 10 seconds, open your eyes, look at your model. What is the first thing you're intuitively looking at? This is in most cases the visual focus point of the model and imo it should be located around the head / center of a model. In any case not on the base, after all it's the model you're using in your army and the base is just decoration. To create focus you need to somehow distinguish a given part of the model from the rest. You do that by applying different colours or brighter colours than on the rest. On Orion for exampe one focus point of the model right now is the quiver because it's white... so why the quiver I ask?! Imo you should try to work on his skin tone or the horns again to push the focus away from the quiver and to the head. Same goes for Ariel, maybe brightening her hair would be a solution, the model is beautiful as it is, so is Orion - just a little thought on how to improve even more. You actually did that on most of your models by giving them glowing eyes or runes intuitively.

I hope that helped a bit.

I'm really looking forward to more of your stuff. You're a good painter.
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Re: The wardens of the Wild Heath. update may 5th. Gladeriders

Post by Baardah »

Thanks alot for a great portion of feedback. It really helps to get second opinions like that since one tend to "see oneself blind" on a model while painting it. Firstly I'll try to make better glowing eyes on Orion and I'm thinking of giving him ratios too. Good catch on the quiver. I'll darken that as you are right. It is to bright.

Ill try some of your suggestions with Ariel too

Again thanks

:D
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
TheRodge
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: The wardens of the Wild Heath. update may 5th. Gladerid

Post by TheRodge »

It was great to see the evolution of your army throughout this thread. They look pretty cool all together at the end. You definitely improved the scheme/painting throughout.

I think my favorite conversion is the plastic wizard w/ dryad head on the wild rider steed. Did you ever paint that one up?

Otherwise, I like the conversions and range swaps. Love the pegs. I have two more Morathi on Peg models on the way and will be doing a warhawk rider unit with them too. (warhawks are totally under-rated in my book)

Love the wardancers as well. Did you use a pen for the tattoos or is that all paint? I think the metal blades could use a good wash or two to give them a little more depth.

I think the basing is very effective with the purple and aqua grass. It gives me a real kind of moonlight magical feel (I'm thinking like Avatar when it's night time) However, have you tried painting black around the edges instead of brown? I think that might set off the rest of the model a little better.
"The Rodge"
Handsome Point Boy
http://www.pointhammered.com
Visit The Magnificent Bastards paint club!
http://www.youmagnificentbastards.com/
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Nice that you like it :)

The tattoos is all paint. One baseline and one highlight. I tried to give more depth to them with more layers but found that more than two just became messy.

As to my conversions I have a priciple: easy as possible but effective. Like the war hawks/ Pegasus. Basic glade rider + wings. The dryadtaur tree kin is the most extensive conversion but still only simple kit bashing/ minimal greenstuff.

The biggest evolution in my painting during this army project came with the citadel washes. They are so so awesome...

Good that you noticed the basing since the paint scheme/ basing is intended to create a nocturnal theme, where the forest is dark and moonlight and faerie light provide light source. I have a wish to go over the army and make a OSL effect from the ground up, but I have been afraid to do so yet since I'm not sure if it would mess up the whole thing.

And yes, I did get inspired by Avatar for the theme....
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

So I'm back on painting wood elves after painting dwarfs and building VC for a while. My newest addition is the eagle riding noble. I swapped out the head since the original one looks stupid. And I added a bow, quiver and spear.
Let me know what you think. I still have some stuff to finish, so it's still alittle WIP. Still have eyes and some highlight/shading on the face.

That item is a horse...
Lighteater
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: My beloved treehuggers

Re: The wardens of the Wild Heath. update sept 15th. Eagle

Post by Lighteater »

Really not finished? :wink:

Looks great, love the finish on the feathers.
Logics and tabletops are incompatible.
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Lighteater wrote:Really not finished? :wink:

Looks great, love the finish on the feathers.

Feathers are easy mode. White primer then charadon granite for the arm feathers, dheneb stone for the middle feathers, and fortress grey for the finger feathers. Tipped the finger feathers with a watered down layer of adeptus battle grey, then washed the entire wing with gryphone sepia wash. Highlighted the armfeathers with a1:1:1 mix of charadon granite, fortress grey and scorched brown. The a new wash of the entire wing with Devlan mud....

And yes, I still need some small touch ups. Like highlights on the face, doing the eyes and highlights on the spearshaft and the bow.

Edit: and I need to fix the stupid mould line on the riders hood. I thought I had scraped off enough of it, but as I applied the final glaze it appeared out of nowhere. Doesn't show as good IRL as on the picture though....

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

New model. I bought the dark elf sorceress with the intention of converting it, but I could bear myself to hack up such a beautiful model so I went for a "color scheme conversion" I feel she looks sufficiently asrai now without a single conversion. Might add a bow though... Let me know what you think

That item is a horse...
slirgy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: The wardens of the Wild Heath. update december 5t weaver

Post by slirgy »

where do i find the original thread ca you post a link or something?
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Not really shure what you mean?

That item is a horse...
Plexi
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos, Dwarves, Orc and Goblin, High Elf, Blood Angels

Post by Plexi »

I think she looks great Baardah. She is sufficiently Asrai now. Only thing I might have done is made the hair a more tannish or blond, white seems kinda DE sorceressy to me. If you can find a decent place to put a bow on her that won't make it look too cluttered it would definitely off-set that I think
"In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

My game groups blog site http://thestarforge.wordpress.com/
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

This is, my dear Baardah, your best painted model so far. I was like: :eek: when I saw her. Great, great job! :thumbsup:
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Yuri wrote:This is, my dear Baardah, your best painted model so far. I was like: :eek: when I saw her. Great, great job! :thumbsup:
Thank you Sir :)
Plexi wrote:I think she looks great Baardah. She is sufficiently Asrai now. Only thing I might have done is made the hair a more tannish or blond, white seems kinda DE sorceressy to me. If you can find a decent place to put a bow on her that won't make it look too cluttered it would definitely off-set that I think
Thank you. The white hair is kind of a theme through pout my army, so I think I'll keep that. For a bow, I was thinking of making one floating in the air in front of the open palm. So that it looks like its kept in air by the magic, while firing a magical arrow. I'll paint it with the blue OSL like the model in may army has from their eyes....

That item is a horse...
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Yuri »

No problem, Sir, I meant it seriously. :)
Now, tell me, how did you do it? I want fully tutorial for the skin! :D Please.
Yuri's little corner
slirgy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by slirgy »

Baardah wrote:Not really shure what you mean?
i thought there might be another post as this is an update
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

@ slirgy: nah, all my wood elves is in this post. I doo have some storm of magic stuff in this thread though. Painted to go with my wood elves mainly...
@yuri: breakdown of the skin

1: white primer
2: bronzed flesh in two thin base coats. So thin layers that the white primer shines through on the raised areas
3: 3:1 bronzed flesh- skull white. Leaving the base coat visible in the deepest recesses
4: wash with 1:1 water and ogryn flesh wash
5: highlighting with approximately 2:1 bronzed flesh and skull white
6: second highlight with 1:1 bronzed flesh - skull white
7: picking up only the highest parts with a 2:1 skull white - bronzed flesh
8: wash the face with 1:1:2 Baal red wash, purple wash and water. Gives the face life!
9: eyes. Iceblue highlighted with 1:1 iceblue and white before a was of 1:1 asurmen blue and water.

I test out all layers against the previous one on my nail. Makes you able to adjust the mix to the perfect gradient of the color.

Green is orkhide shade layered with mixing in skull white in 5 layers. Washed with green wash
Grey is adeptus battlegrey layered with mixing in fortress grey in 5 layers. Final highlight with pure fortress grey. Washed with badab black

Hair is pure skull white
Wash with asurmen blue and thraka green
Highlight with skull white again

Hope this helps.

I can't recommend using a nail or something, to test out each layer against the previous, enough! A little tip I picked up from the point hammered podcast.

That item is a horse...
Cato
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Cato »

Really nice, i think i might get the same model now :)
Tenaka
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Tenaka »

I have to agree with Yuri, this is your best model thus far (although I think your owl conversion will be something really special). It is a great model and I've wondering how to convert it into a Spellsinger myself. I have a few ideas but you've shown that in truth, it looks the part without any tinkering. Great job.
Puff the Pixie Eater
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Puff the Pixie Eater »

I think you approach, while much different than mine, is unique and valid. I think you have put an extraordinary effort into your work. I am a big fan of conversions,and you have done some good work here. I will not bother to try helping you improve, as your enjoyment in challenging yourself is proof that you are constantly better at this than I could be.

I am thinking how I would not want to enter a forrest with that many dangerous animals working in harmony :D

Bravo!
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Re: The wardens of the Wild Heath. update february 15th, Owl

Post by Baardah »

Owl and Beastweaver

That item is a horse...
Forestcrab
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Forestcrab »

Both, the weaver and the owl looks great.
I like the way you assembled the models on the base. It's like mini-diorama rather than "a wizard riding an owl".
The owl is fantastic sculpt. Really impressive work.
The weavers hair is my favourite part of her.
There is just two little things, first the green "leaves" on the tree. I think it "pops" out a bit too much.
Second thing is the overall greyness. Maybe you could put some brown wash over the tree? Or even the owl?
I don't know...
But overall really good work.

-Forestcrab

P.S. Once more: The Owl is Awesome!
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Thanks. I'm quite happy with it myself. It's by far the most extensive conversion I ever did.
I aggree that the clump foliage might be to thick in some spots though. I might have to "trim the hedge" a bit

That item is a horse...
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Yuri »

Forestcrab wrote: There is just two little things, first the green "leaves" on the tree. I think it "pops" out a bit too much.
Second thing is the overall greyness. Maybe you could put some brown wash over the tree? Or even the owl?
In my opinion this is necessary and those popping out "leaves" aren't big deal. I like it a lot! :thumbsup:
Yuri's little corner
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom
Armies I play: Wood Elves, The Empire

Post by Anardakil »

Looks great :) i really like the owl.
http://SybariteVI.deviantart.com/ - my art gallery, check it out :)