The wardens of the Wild Heath. Update February 3rd.

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Re: The wardens of the Wild Heath. update 14.3.2011 Gladeguard

Post by Baardah »

Thanks cyndra. I know the movementtrays are alittle daft right now. They are going to get that dark green "glowing" sand on them, it's just something I find boring and is putting off until last. Another point is that they really soak up paint those sanded areas. The nearest GW store is in the other side of my country 3000 km away so I try to save the paint for the actual models until I'm going near an outlet again. Ordering paints online is not a good idea in the winter as they are frozen when they get to my mailbox.
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Fikol
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: WE

Post by Fikol »

I'm ashaimed to say that it is the first time I see your work! excellent stuff! I do like the glow on the eyes that you do! and very beautiful conversions by the way! :) I plan to come back to my painting ... :)
Life is but a dream...
Agamemnon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Agamemnon »

I've been enjoying all your models. Nice work.
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Thanks guys :) buildt the Syl-Iriah model yesterday. Despite her limbs being rather thin, and the model looking rather small before it all came together, when her wings came on, she looks so big and imposing that she easily fills up a 50 mm base this is the heroic version that originally goes on a 20 mm base. I can't say it enough times. That model is so impressing. Kudos to raging heroes.
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Re: The wardens of the Wild Heath. update 19.3.2011 ORION

Post by Baardah »

here comes ORION!!
i Think i might go over it with some additional highlights, specially on the cape and maybe a little more badab black on the spearhead.

And i'm not quite shure what i think of the golden parts. Might charge this to a more "wooden"color

Critics and comments are most welcome as always

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Re: The wardens of the Wild Heath. update 19.3.2011 ORION

Post by Baardah »

New addition:

Ariel (Syl-Iriah, by raging heroes, heroic version). she is on a 20mm base which I have magnetized to stand on a 50mm. This is so that i can use her as a regular spellweaver in games. The 50mm base is modelled to represent a "throne of vines" ;)

Let me know what you think :)

And here is the royal family, the king and queen in the woods

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Re: The wardens of the Wild Heath. update 28.3.2011 SYL-IRIAH

Post by Baardah »

Hmm... No comments at all for the latest entries. Not shire how to interpret that....

That item is a horse...
Plexi
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos, Dwarves, Orc and Goblin, High Elf, Blood Angels

Post by Plexi »

Ok, I'll bite, lol.

Ariel looks fantastic. The only things I personally would have changed are, 1- I think the horns could have used a little blending. A little beastial brown undercoat with the bone blended down into it. The darker brown would give a nice contrast with your blues in my opinion (kinda like how you did Orions). 2- I would have made either the hair OR the skin a darker or lighter blue. Either way would have made both stand out a little better. Like I said, those are both issues that I would have changed if I had painted it. It is entirely possible that my tastes are vastly different from the majority. I think she looks awesome though.

Orion is harder to love, but that isn't entirely your fault here. I think that the Orion resculpt is horrid. I'm still using the 4th/ 5th edition sculpt and I love it, it's more crisp and less busy (although it is a bit smaller). The new one is far to busy and it's tiresome on the eyes. The end result is that with your dark tones and heavy dark lining he gets lost. This is not to say that he's painted badly, because from a technical view he looks really good. Maybe toss some autumn colors on some of vining leaves to break up some of the green and bring out the flesh tone. I dunno, maybe someone else has an idea on that one.
"In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

My game groups blog site http://thestarforge.wordpress.com/
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Aahh. Finally some feedback :)

You have pointed out exactly the same things as I'm the least satisfied with too. I have just bin bait lsot as to how to change it.

Ariel: I will try to make the horns look bait more like....well horns. Might try to make some "striae" on them.
I don't think I'll change the blue, as it was intended to have the colours similar to give her an "ethereal" look. I will consider it though and in that case i might make the hair a bit darker.

Orion: I disagree with you on the sculpt. I rate the newer one high above the old, but that's just personal taste as you say. I initially thought to use a variation of colours on the "leafy" parts, but wouldn't that just make it even more "buisy" as you call it? What do you think of making the skin tone a bit brighter?..... I don't know.

I could make one of his leafcloacks brown (schorced brown with highlights adding more and more orange into it) and still be within the colorscheme for the rest of the army. How do you think that would work?

That item is a horse...
Tachunka
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Space Wolves

Post by Tachunka »

I like your work, especially with the night color scheme. I love the King and Queen of the Woods. I would really like a side view of Ariel. I like the addition of color to her wings in the second photo. Creative and original is what your work is, the mark of an artist.
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Thanks alot :)

That item is a horse...
Aeroyn
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aeroyn »

I'm a big fan of the riders on wolves, lion, and unicorn. I'm just starting a Wood Elf army and I imagine them riding almost anything BUT regular horses. Oh, and I find the dryad/centaur/treemen particularly interesting. Lots of ideas here, thanks for sharing. Wish I could offer more criticism of your latest king & queen models, but I'm too new to painting myself. And right now my basing is just a bit of glue and some sand, but your bases for the larger models look great. Your units don't look like a whimsical fey circus but a truly awesome force to be feared on the tabletop battlefield.
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Thanks aeoryn. I really like my wolfriding wildriders, but if I was to doo it all again, I'd go for the gamezone wolves. They looks far better, but are expensive...

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Re: The wardens of the Wild Heath. update april 29th. dancers +

Post by Baardah »

So 2 new units finished.

First up is second unit of Dryads, 12 strong. For this unit i used grey as a basecolor

and my wardancers 7 of em who I have updated to fitthe colourscheme. originally i painted them before i had really decided on the colours. (oh how i have regretted that. the army would have been finished months ago if I would have decided on the colourscheme first)
closer
and closer

the tatoos look abit messy up close but from normal gamin distance they are pretty effective. i found the trick with these is to use a dark basecoulor and give it a single highlight with the same color mixed with white. i tried to make a third highlight but that turned out worse and more messy.

Let me know what you think

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

and some army shots. i hae divided the force into sections since there are LOTS of models. wouldnt really see muh at all if i was to shoot them all in the same picture.

First is the trees
the elves
the cavalry
the airforce

and, as Dan Heelan would say, bits and bobs

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

So i'm starting to see the unpainted 3000 points of highelves, dwarfs and skaven at the end of the tunnel now. all thats left for my woodelves is:

5 gladeriders
a mounted mage
5 more eternalguard
the free wood

That item is a horse...
Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Post by Kulgan86 »

I feel bad when looking at the quality of your models.

When I try to paint an eye I end up basecoating the model standing next to it. So all my models are basecoated in the wrong colour and all my guys are blind.
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Kulgan86 wrote:I feel bad when looking at the quality of your models.

When I try to paint an eye I end up basecoating the model standing next to it. So all my models are basecoated in the wrong colour and all my guys are blind.
Hmm, I don't actually want people feeling bad when looking at my models ;)
I don't do the eyes either. It's just on characters mainly. But the wardancers have very defined eye areas so I though I'd have a go. I tried on the gladeguard, but it's was a pain so I skipped it and let the wash do the job....

That item is a horse...
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

I kinda want to drive up north and force you to paint my army as well. :evil:

Just kidding. I am envying you your painting skills, though, so I hope I'll get a chance to play one of your armies some time. :)
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Shandrakor »

Think this is the first time I've had a look at your army, or at least the first in a long while if not. At any rate, I really like this color scheme you've used throughout and the army looks really cohesive and well done.

That Dragon Highborn has got to be my favorite model from the range though. Looks wicked! :evil:
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Thanks guys :)

Git: would definitely be cool if we could arrange a game sometime :)

That item is a horse...
Tachunka
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Space Wolves

Post by Tachunka »

What a wonderful army! You definitely have to be proud of them. I personally didn't think the tattoos looked messy.
Gildesh
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: woodies and gobbos

Post by Gildesh »

yes baardah modest as ever truly stunning and the background to your pics sets the scene perfectly
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Tachunka wrote:What a wonderful army! You definitely have to be proud of them. I personally didn't think the tattoos looked messy.
Thank you. I'm very happy with the tattoos too, but they do look better from a bit of a distance, but I guess that's the case with any detail.
Gildesh wrote:yes baardah modest as ever truly stunning and the background to your pics sets the scene perfectly
The background is from a google picture search for "fantasy night forest" lots of good pictures to use as background. I'm thinking of making a display board with this picture as a back wall.

Thanks for nacelle comments :)

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

new unit. way back in reserve..... the Gladeriders

That item is a horse...