The wardens of the Wild Heath. Update February 3rd.

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

WilcoH
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: The wardens of the Wild Heath. update sept 20th!

Post by WilcoH »

Great stuff, really. Like the idea of the magical steeds. But the contrast between the glowing parts and the black is kinda harsh. It reminds me more like tron steeds :P maybe some more glow effect and more gradually would make it look better. Like the part beneath the fur around the neck at the 2nd picture. Awesome work though !
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

I might Try to blend the glow effect a little further out into the black areas. Either that or I have to highlight the black a bit. Thanks for feedback. :)
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Hey baardah i came across a similar issue with my steeds and i guess what i remembered was that they are steeds of isha and kurnous so they can have a magical flair
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

I love the black and turquoise look but maybe a rhinox hide (dark brown) and black mix with a less bright hawk turquoise
Tuladin
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos, Bretonnians, Orcs, Dwarves

Post by Tuladin »

Glad you were able to get the owl! I know a lot of people were looking for one. I got another too, and plan to chop it's head off too :)

I think I'd have gone with green for the glow (unless your army uses blue, I don't remember). Green is more woodsy. The black is a little much for me, maybe highlight to some brown, kind of like you'd do with black hair. But then again, I don't paint much so who am I to criticize :)
Baardah
Former Council Member

The wardens of the Wild Heath. update sept 20th!

Post by Baardah »

Chop its head of if you want Tuladin ;) it doesn't hurt as much now as I got my own. Picked it up from the post office this weekend.

Come to think of it. I gues you just didn't attach the heads in the owl you made into an eagle. Got any plans for any use of the severed owl head? I can take it off your hands if you don't use it. PM me if you wanna trade...

Yeah I can see that plain black makes it look a little bit to unloving, almost like obsidian.

It's actually green glow. Incubi darkness, cabalite green and white/cabalite mix. It's a green on the blue side of the green scale though.

I'll play around with some colors and see what I come up with...if it turns out to be too much of a hassle I'll do something else I think. It's one thing to do very intricate work in a single model. Replicating it through a whole unit (12 WR I. Total) is a whole other matter. Too intricate per model = unit never finished.

My other concern is that the steed might take too much focus. The rider is the main part of a cavalry model and it's important to remember that...
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

A little progress on the wild rider test model. There is much more I could do, but not shure if more work is nescessary as it despite all is rank and file cavalry
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419292722.155959.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419292706.260547.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419292693.439991.jpg

That item is a horse...
Tuladin
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos, Bretonnians, Orcs, Dwarves

Post by Tuladin »

I think the flash is washing out your highlights. I think this has very cool potential. Looking forward to seeing the whole unit. Kind of a wood elf "hell hound".

RE: the owl head. If you have the warhawk rider I'm looking for then it's all yours.
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Hehe. Yeah. Its just fast snaps with an iphone in terrible lighting.

Sorry man, I don't have any of the GW warhawkriders I'm afraid...

That item is a horse...
WilcoH
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by WilcoH »

Hey Baardah,

I was wondering how you make the tattoos on the wardancers and Thalandor. Do you paint them with a brush by hand? Or do you use something else?
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Hey WilcoH. I paint the tattoos on with a 00 fine detail brush. I use a very light, highly watered down paint first, just outline the tats. I keep a dry brush ready so I can soak it up if I'm not happy with the lines. Then when I'm satisfied I paint over the barely visible lines with the selected tattoo color...

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

In the process of adding more Treekin to my forces. Here is the first of 3 new ones
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422951047.603740.jpg
Also working on Durthu and two more treemen.

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Re: The wardens of the Wild Heath. Update February 3rd.

Post by Baardah »

I painted up the first of two treemen. I did this one with the traditional colorscheme of my army. Durthu will be painted a little more to stand out and the second Treeman will be winter themed I think.
Ok...…tapatalk won't let me add pictures...

That item is a horse...
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Since all the pictures are gone I've decided that I won't post In this thread anymore. I'll start a new hobby thread instead with the new stuff.

That item is a horse...
HouseofGinaz
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Bretonnia

Post by HouseofGinaz »

Very awesome and inspirational army. I love the wolf rider elves, it remind me so much of the good old Elfquest series that I read as a kid. Might steal that idea of wild rider on fenris wolves.

I'm Norwegian too btw, so if you ever want to go for a fluff friendly battle against Imperial deforestation or something just give me a call. I got up to 3000p of Empire, I live in Nord-Trøndelag but can justify the drive as a road trip which should clear it with the wife :)
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Thanks for kind words. I'd love to play, but Get ready for a loooong road trip ;) I live in Alta in Finnmark.
I read the Elf quest comics too and that's what got me into fantasy and elves in the first place. So naturally, elves and wolves was a natural thing in my army.

That item is a horse...
Hawkoon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hawkoon »

Sounds like a weekend trip :nod:
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

It's about 2500 km so yeah. Weekend trip indeed... :)

That item is a horse...