Foxtale's Wood Elves (updated March 17th - Random)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

Well i think you just need to cut the top of the spear off and glue it onto the bottom instead. As for Archaon's legs, could you GS over the legs to make saddlebags or something similar so that you don't need to cut them off and you can disguise them well if you do it right...either that or cut them off and clean it up with GS. If you want the noble raised up then i reckon you're going to have to make a booster-saddle :wink:. Can't think of anything apart from that...

Storm.

PS: if the horse isn't supposed to be cracked, can't you send it back for a new one?

Edit: just wanted to say, even with all these problems, he's already looking good. Just goes to show how good at modelling you are :nod:.
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Thanks for the suggestions, Storm. I might see about saddlebags. Luckily I can sculpt a nice fur carpet to cover up any messes from the removal of the legs. Also, I have a nice set of Wild Rider legs to use.

Now onto what I've been actually painting all this time: my first unit of Dryads. These guys are made from the Ghostwood trees which I've had growing around the Bridge of Birds. Most of the wood in my army is made from this tree. These Dryads are meant to be a huge contrast to the purple and green in my army, yet still hold the theme (which I've done with green eyes and purple accessories).

Click for bigger pic

Mal: Do you want to run this ship?
Jayne: Yes
Mal: Well... you... can't.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
emrys
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by emrys »

lovely looking unit - any chance of a close up of one?
davidvc04
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by davidvc04 »

I really like the dryads. I tried the ghostwood scheme, too, but you get a lot closer to what GW shows. Mine came out looking sandier.

Well done as usual!
Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

Yes, very nice unit :nod:.
I'd quite like to see a close up of what i think is the dryad champion? The one in the first row second from the left. Also a closer look at one of the bases with water on them would be nice..
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom
Armies I play: Wood Elves, The Empire

Post by Anardakil »

Nice dryads :)
http://SybariteVI.deviantart.com/ - my art gallery, check it out :)
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Is this what you meant by a close up? Here's the Dryad Champion, who was differentiated from the others by the addition of two extra limbs, and also by using one of the back-things as a vine-like twisting arm.

*waits for slow internet to load picture*

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

Yeah, that's exactly what i meant :nod:.
I thought i saw extra arms, but i wanted to be sure, very nice.
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Okay, Archaon's Mount, Dorghar, has been green stuffed into submission and has become my Wild Rider noble's Stag (erm... read as "Horse which counts as Stag"). I had to make it looks much more like the Wild Rider horses rather than the demonic mount which it was.

I removed all the spikes and covered the chaos symbol on its flank. Then I went to it with clippers and a dremel and removed Archaon's legs. I took off all the harnesses, ropes, straps, and belts, and replaced them with things which looked more Wild Rider-esque: face armour, horns, and a fur cloak for its back. I also had to add armour to the neck, and extend the mane downwards.

The base is done like my Tree Kin's base, and will not have that stabilising pin once done. For the noble, I've changed a High Elf Spearman chest armour to give it vines, and edited the weapons slightly as well as adding more vines. The noble is not yet finished, and will have a fur cloak in future (and a head). The base also will have a spite down where the pin hits the base.

Click for pic:

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Victorianbelle
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Victorianbelle »

Truly amazing Foxtale, a pleasure as always viewing your work!

I have one question that has been burning a hole in my mind for you, and I can't wait to hear back! (BTW, Great job on the weapons posses, you gave the model a much more dynamic feel, as though it is coming alive!).
My Question for you is:

Can you post up your army list for your Wood Elf Army? I am not sure how much of everything you have (only know through forums, as well, I am not certain your normal points games) I know our norm for where I play is a standard 2000 points of a allcommers/fluffy list.

Since your models and work is completely unique, I would love to see your regualr all commers 2000 point list!!!!
-= Racka =-
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by -= Racka =- »

i think maybe the antlers need to be alot bigger, they look to flimsy for such a large animal.
KidA
Undercover Druchii

Post by KidA »

-= Racka =- wrote:i think maybe the antlers need to be alot bigger,
Seconded. I'd say they should be slightly larger and much thicker...
Kyte
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Chaos, Chaos Dwarfs, Wood elves, Beastmen, Ogre Kingdoms

Post by Kyte »

That's how a stag should look! Great work! If I was you, I'd have used dryad bits for the antlers though.

- Kyte
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

VictorianBelle wrote:Can you post up your army list for your Wood Elf Army? I am not sure how much of everything you have (only know through forums, as well, I am not certain your normal points games) I know our norm for where I play is a standard 2000 points of a allcommers/fluffy list.
Well I'm yet to play a 2000 point game with any army list. The largest I've gone to is 1500. So my 2000 point list is untested, and probably heavily magic weak. But hopefully once I get my models up and painted I can test them out. My basic 2000 point list will be this:

Level 2 Spellsinger, Calaingor's, Scroll
Noble, GW, Amber Pendant (in EG unit)
Noble, Stag, Stone of Crystal Meth (in WR unit or alone)
10 GG
10 GG, Lord's Bowman
8 Dryads (will probably increase in future)
19 EG, full command (will probably increase in future)
4 Stone Kin (Tree Kin)
6 Wild Riders, full command
3 Wind Riders
1 Treeman
1 Eagle
-------------------------
2000 points exactly.
Racka wrote:i think maybe the antlers need to be alot bigger, they look to flimsy for such a large animal.
KidA wrote:Seconded. I'd say they should be slightly larger and much thicker...
Kyte wrote:If I was you, I'd have used dryad bits for the antlers though.
Yeah, I did at one point consider making this a stag, but I thought a cool horse would be much more in theme. Yet when I was making the armour for the horse's head, I was trying to find a way to give it horns like the Wild Riders but still differentiate it. So I used some branches from a model tree, just as a joke, and ended up keeping them. They're bound to snap eventually though. Anyhow, I did consider using Dryad bits, but found them to be too big for the head.

Instead, my noble will be trying to dress his horse up like a stag, in an ironic "Horse trying to look like a stag actually does represent a stag in the game." But I imagine that if you wanted to make a stag out of Dorghar all you'd need to change from mine would be to give it fur, thicken under the chin, and use antlers from the Dryad bits. Oh, and remove the tail, as deer don't have tails.
That's how a stag should look! Great work!
Cheers, that's exactly how I envisioned GW would make them. >_> Ironically, my model which makes such a great stag isn't actually meant to be a stag!

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
- Human
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by - Human »

That's a fantastic conversion, Foxtale. You should send those pics to GW, show 'em how it's done. :sexy:
Barely breathing, Minus Human, come squeeze the world and drip it down my throat again

- Human
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Next update! Horse painted, rider converted!

Click for bigger piccies.

Rider - I tried to make him look similar to the current Wild Rider lord, with a few additions such as the changed armour. The head was the hardest to do, but in the end I settled for a little tiny tree branch, and stuck the Green Stuff worms to both sides of it. The legs are modeled so he has a more relaxed pose mounted. And the cloak and spite (on his shoulder) are done using Milliput and GS.

Horse - I think the fake antlers look better now that he's painted.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
-= Racka =-
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by -= Racka =- »

the antlers look really good with the metal of the helmet on the horse, its coming along very nicely :)
Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

Yep, looks great :nod:.
Every update fails to disappoint :wink:.
Your 2000pts list is the same as mine, but how do you feel about the lack of Lord and more focus on the actual troops?
KidA
Undercover Druchii

Post by KidA »

Drat, am I too late to suggest switching a base? That new 50 mm 'dragon' base is hideous, being twice as tall as normal bases...at least old bases are as tall as all other bases and they look infinitly better...

Also, the rod holding a model looks bad. How about pinning some extra long rods through the stag's legs, then bending them on the other side of the base?
Christian Aas
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Christian Aas »

Looking good mate! Although I still belive it would look better with bigger horns, you shouldn't be afraid that they will be to big, cause they won't. Use dryadbits as earlier stated, it's not to late! :-)
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

KidA wrote:Drat, am I too late to suggest switching a base? That new 50 mm 'dragon' base is hideous, being twice as tall as normal bases...at least old bases are as tall as all other bases and they look infinitly better...

Also, the rod holding a model looks bad. How about pinning some extra long rods through the stag's legs, then bending them on the other side of the base?
Yeah, the rod isn't actually there. I haven't glued it to the base yet, so I just used the rod to support it while photographing it.

And I don't see what's so bad about the base. I actually prefer it to the smaller ones, because it really makes the model stand out in his unit.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Storm
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Storm »

I think the base looks good...
I agree with Christian Aas, the horns on real stags are pretty large and i think the ones on your's look a bit puny if you ask me...and i know they're just decorative and it's actually a big horse, but it's just my opinion...
Apart from that, he looks awesome!
davidvc04
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by davidvc04 »

I don't know...it's very well painted, but it strikes me as odd. The antlers are too small and just look weird on a horse. But that's just me...
Victorianbelle
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Victorianbelle »

Good Work Foxy!

Unlike most of the others, I get and understand the antlers on your steed (not stag!), and they look great.

I have to say the part that I like most is the chestnut brown hue on the horse, incredible work. I am glad you chose a darker color to paint it, rather than something very bright, it makes the feel much more powerful.

Great job on the sprite on the shoulder of the Noble, for a moment at first glance, I thought "Oh, hot! He added a Mantle or a Armoured Shoulder peice to him, wait, even better, a great looking Sprite!" Well made!

The Crown and hair makes the Noble and really sets it apart from the other riders, a great new look than GW's closed helm guy.

Keep up the good work!
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

After what's seemed like an eternity painting this one model, he is finally finished. The Stag Noble who is really not on a Stag is done. Boy, it makes me so happy to say that because this is definitely the biggest project I've ever worked on for Warhammer. I wasn't sure what to put on the base, but eventually found some nice Warmaster figures to go there.

Hope it pleases, and thanks to everyone who's commented and suggested things along the way. Thanks for 10,000 thread views. :D

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art