Foxtale's Wood Elves (updated March 17th - Random)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Thanks to everyone who commented. Your comments keep me painting.

Half done painting my unit of Glade Guard. All I have left to do is cloaks and tops. Cloaks are easy because they're mostly Catachan Green with some highlights. Tops are a bit more of a challenge. Oh well, here're the legs and heads.

Mal: Do you want to run this ship?
Jayne: Yes
Mal: Well... you... can't.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Dooppie
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Dooppie »

Foxtale nice collour sheme/painting :) never see people paint the under body + body and head seperately.
exploid
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by exploid »

i like them :)
Wins/Draws/Loses:
-2000- -1000- -500-
2/0/1 - 7/1/4 - 7/0/1
Lord Voldemorten
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Lord Voldemorten »

They don't give me the "wow-feeling" I got from the GG on p. 2, but they are still quite good. While the shading/highlighting looks a little drastic close-up like this, I believe it will look brilliant from a distance (as on the gaming table). How long does a single GG take to paint?
~Lord Voldemorten
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Took me two days to paint the colourtest model. Then those legs took me one day to do. The heads took a few hours.

I just can't get motivated to paint. -_-

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

More models now. Glade Guard are now done. I am one step closer to a completed 1000 pt army.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
exploid
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by exploid »

the mus head is not the greatest head i think :S but it was a good idea to use the glade riders mus head but oke......... the colour scheme looks cool :) keep up the good work :)
Wins/Draws/Loses:
-2000- -1000- -500-
2/0/1 - 7/1/4 - 7/0/1
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Thanks for the comment. I agree that the shading on the musician's head isn't the best. However, I'm still learning so once I get the other unit painted, I'll come back and touch up my mistakes on this one.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
exploid
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by exploid »

well your a better painter them me but i look forward to the next unit :)
Wins/Draws/Loses:
-2000- -1000- -500-
2/0/1 - 7/1/4 - 7/0/1
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Okay then, inspired by the new painting comp, I'm gonna be painting my noble now rather than after my dryads were done. Inspired by the massively cool scythe on the horse, I decided to take it a bit more to the extreme. The problem is that now I have a noble with heavy armour, a giant scythe and a wolf cloak. But he isn't special. So what's the solution? Putting him on a log. Anyways, the log is modelled with a core, wrapped with greenstuff. I still need to mold some details onto the log with another layer of greenstuff.

What do you think of the concept? Anything I should change?

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
exploid
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by exploid »

what can i say.........briliant :D u used cloack of a knight of the white wolf? i used one for my eagle noble i hop i stil have one :P

the shoulder pads are briliant it makes him look lot bigger and more armoured..... keep up the good work :D
Wins/Draws/Loses:
-2000- -1000- -500-
2/0/1 - 7/1/4 - 7/0/1
Yak
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Yak »

How about amking the shaft of the scythe more like the 'blade', gnarled and knotted instead of smooth and straight? Otherwise, wow...
Yak's 1st Law: Take an eagle if you have a free rare slot
Yak's 2nd Law: There are 4 reasons to take a highborn
Yak's 3rd Law: If you have a treeman and a free Lord slot, make it an Ancient
Damnation
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Damnation »

The 'finished' Glade Guard are fine, except the flesh areas. They really need more highlights to come out more. A simple highlight of Elf Flesh followed by Pallid Flesh (or Vallejo Pale Flesh) is all they need to be even better.
exploid
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by exploid »

ohw fox i forgot watch out that your greenstuf doesnt go over the edge of you base (if u put him in a unit he wont fit.....)
Wins/Draws/Loses:
-2000- -1000- -500-
2/0/1 - 7/1/4 - 7/0/1
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Yak wrote:How about amking the shaft of the scythe more like the 'blade', gnarled and knotted instead of smooth and straight? Otherwise, wow...
Eeeeeesh, how would I go about doing this?

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Dooppie
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Dooppie »

Foxtale...I like you Glade guard unit. it's realy good painted.
never seen purple in a wood elf army and this collour fits in your colour sheme...nice collour sheme :wub:
Seem that you painted a free hand thing at the glade guard champion...that is realy cool.

Now about your lord/hero convertion project.
He looks very nice at this moment..nice pose, an unike weapon, good cloak. dunno about the shoulder pads...it's seems ok.
Overal----->keep the good work going :)
Neanderthal05
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Neanderthal05 »

i like everything except the musician head, and the gold you used on the GG, IMHO it would look better as a bone color, metal is very rarely used by elves and when its used its usually only on weapons.

The weapon on the lord model is brilliant, i have to make one now...

keep up the good work...

-Neanderthal05
Am I the only one who thinks an elf army should be full of elves and not trees?

Ash nazg durbatuluk
Ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatuluk
Agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.....
philleehellphia
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by philleehellphia »

Argh!!!!!! It's an assembly line for Wood Elves! Heh, good work on the Glade Guard. I really like the Gold. And the Highborn/Hero looks pretty good with that Mace Weapon.
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Thanks for all the comments! You know how much I love them. Yes there are some things I haven't done yet. For instance, I have not yet highlighted the hands, nor have I highlighted the banner, and I do need to redo the shading on the musician's head.

However, because I love you guys and your comments so much, here are some new pics of my up and coming noble. Please note that this log is my first attempt at greenstuff modelling. It was made using a plastic core, covered in a rough coat of greenstuff as above, then another coat and decorated with a bark pattern, plus a spite, two roots and a vine.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Righto, I need your help people.
My army theme has so far been to go with unit colours. So one of my GG units is purple, as you can see above. The other is going to be an orangey colour. The dryads have multicoloured spites and are a certain type of tree.

As you can see, I've already painted the stump and the spite that is on it.

But now it comes to my noble. How do I paint him? As you can see below, I have greenstuffed some gems onto his body and pauldrons. His scythe is going to be painted either the same colour as the dryads, or the same colour as the GG bows. Either way, it's blade will most likely be metal. The rest of him will have Catachan Green, with a Dark Angels Green cloth and Scorched Brown leather parts. His hair will most likely be silvery grey. His skin like the skin of my other GG.

Now for the interesting part and the part I need your help on. What colour should I paint his:
- cloak (bearskin? wolfskin?)
- gems (one on each leg, one on each pauldron)
- little banner thing on his scythe
- scythe
- front cloth (that is purple with my other GG)

I want him to unify the army while keeping his own solid colourscheme without so many colours that he is lost.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

<_< Bump. Help me please!!! :cry:

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Maeglin
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves , Dogs of War/Empire, Space Wolves, Raven Guard, Crimson Fists, Word Bearers/Night Lords

Post by Maeglin »

i know im not answering your questions an im not gonna cus im not a great painter (ok at converting tho :) ) but please don't paint the blade of the scythe metal! your painting is brilliant compared to mine but where i usually ruin my conversions is with my poor painting so got some experiance at doin stupid stuff! no offence intended :)
Follower of the Trickster God.
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Okay, thanks for that. And I don't care if you're a brilliant painter. People seem to not want to post anymore, which is annoying as hell when I need help.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
exploid
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by exploid »

fox tell me about the nobles fluf and what he's wearing then i meybe can help you
Wins/Draws/Loses:
-2000- -1000- -500-
2/0/1 - 7/1/4 - 7/0/1
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

A huge bump on this, but only because I wanted to see what you guys thought of my Eternal Guard and Wild Rider conversions before I started cutting and painting at the point of no return. I've 'aquired' a box of High Elf Spearmen to get this done, leaving me with quite a few parts to play with.

First off, the Eternal Guard:
And another angle: <Clicky>
Both of these units come from the expansion of my army which features along the Bridge of Birds. They are the guards. My Eternal Guard thus appear much more like Spearmen and use Spear and Shield more than Saerath. The parts are all Glade Guard except for the arms and shield. The arrows are yet to be trimmed off.

Now for the Wild Rider:
And another angle: <Clicky>
This unit is like the Eternal Guard in that it is less wild and more of a 'heavy' version of the Glade Riders. So he uses a shield, a heavy breastplate, spear (which will be a piece of copper piping in the actual model), and yes I know I have to get rid of the quiver.

Dunno whether to use the helmet for either of the models or not. I might mix and match the heads.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art