Song of the Grove-Kin

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Grey Knights

Re: Song of the Grove-Kin

Post by Skarlock »

I agree that a whole unit of these will look awesome! I am excited at the project, and nervous at the same time! I have A LOT of GS work ahead of me! I am 80% done converting my first Wardancer unit member, and will have some pics of her up pretty soon.
"Athel Loren shall not suffer the presence of Men, nor Orcs, nor Dwarfs, nor Beastmen. If a foe takes a single step upon such sacred soil, they shall not take another." Skarloc, Mist Walker of Athel Loren

My WE thread http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13389
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

So here is the first of 10 Daemonette/Wardancer conversions for my WE army :nod:
She's definatly not perfect, but I am sure the quality of the Wardancers will improve as I get more practice at it :D
Let me know what you think.

"Athel Loren shall not suffer the presence of Men, nor Orcs, nor Dwarfs, nor Beastmen. If a foe takes a single step upon such sacred soil, they shall not take another." Skarloc, Mist Walker of Athel Loren

Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Heey, she's fabulous! Not much daemonette left ("This model is cleean!"...), I actually think it's a much woodier elf than your source of inspiration. I admire your skills with GS, I really can't tell which is which (resin and gs). One detail that breaks the illusion, unfortunately, is the massive spear-shaft. Changing that would make the model both more believable and graceful (which the body really is. And I'm really sorry to say so after she's been primed). But still, spectacular job! Oh, and nice ass... :D
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

Herald wrote:Heey, she's fabulous! Not much daemonette left ("This model is cleean!"...), I actually think it's a much woodier elf than your source of inspiration. I admire your skills with GS, I really can't tell which is which (resin and gs). One detail that breaks the illusion, unfortunately, is the massive spear-shaft. Changing that would make the model both more believable and graceful (which the body really is. And I'm really sorry to say so after she's been primed). But still, spectacular job! Oh, and nice ass... :D
I agree with your comment about the spear, and have made some changes accordingly

ImageImage

Not finished the spear yet, but I think it looks better already :nod:

Shyanekh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Shyanekh »

Definitely looks a lot better with the new spear.
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

Shyanekh wrote:Definitely looks a lot better with the new spear.
Thanks.

I am in the middle of a lot of essays at Uni right now, so it will be a while before another update :( but I do have BIG plans for the other unit members ;) 2 of which are under way!

Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Looking forward to it! :nod:
trushot
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by trushot »

The spear does look a lot better with a thinner staff. One more suggestion i may have is that I see wardancers using shorter shafted spears, being able to flip around the air and slash around their enemies. In proportion to the dancer's body, I would suggest making the shaft just a little bit shorter. But thats just my opinion.

Everything else looks great! I love the way you sculpt your models, everything comes out looking really smooth and nice. Good job :nod:
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

I am almost finished my Daemonette/Wardancer troupe and will post some pics soon.
As always, I am thinking about what to do next. And I was thinking about converting Glade Riders into Wild Riders (primarily because of a lack of $) :nod:
But I have a question.
Will the Glade riders models work for this purpose?
I am prepared to scratch build cloaks, add armour, horns, ivy etc..., but are there enough torsos without bows to create Wild Riders?
Advice and/or a pic of a glade rider sprue would be muchly appreciated.

S

Tribun
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Dogs of War, Wood Elves, Space Orks

Post by Tribun »

Here you are- Gladeriders sprue:

http://spruepics.proboards.com/index.cg ... thread=153

I like your work! :thumbsup:
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

There should be 4 torsos without arms in a GR box. And plenty more w GG. I have cut off the clothing on the torsos on my WR (wip...), no problem. Bare breasted female WRs is a treat. To me, the challenge is sculpting the hair, helmets and barding. Other projects are more pressing however, so you might get there before me. :p
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

Thank you both.
Your posts are VERY helpful :D

@ Herald,
Any chance of getting some pics of your WIP WRs?

S

Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

I don't have a camera as of now. My sister brought hers with her for christmas, but we forgot to take it out of her bag. :roll: One of these days...
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

Here are some pics of my Alter :D

Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Now that's what I call a great sword! She is fantastic. Love the enscriptions(?) on the sword and shield, and simply wish I had your skills with GS... ;)
czar05
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Woodies, O&G

Post by czar05 »

Very nice sculpting and a wicked sword :nod:

How long did it take?
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

Herald wrote:Now that's what I call a great sword! She is fantastic. Love the enscriptions(?) on the sword and shield, and simply wish I had your skills with GS... ;)
Cheers Herald,

The "inscriptions" are actually High Elf runes which I found here: http://karmaboo.deviantart.com/art/High ... s-76165636
The shield has:
"Thalui" on it, whuch means Hatred or vengeance,

and the sword has as close as I could get with GS (in order from top to bottom):
"Cynath" -Chill, Death, Silence, Lonliness.
"Oriour" - Blood, Birth.
"Lathain" - Storm, Wrath
czar05 wrote:Very nice sculpting and a wicked sword :nod:

How long did it take?
Thx,
I started work on her in march 2008, and just finished her last month (December 2009) :confused: LOL!
I wasn't working on her the whole time though :p . I would say that I put a minimum of 20 hours into her.
My mantra seems to be "Slow and steady wins the race" although I'm not sure what race i'm talking about :roll:

I am now working on my sixth of ten Wardancer conversion right now, and I have only had these models since November 2009, so I am definately getting quicker :thumbsup:

Thank you for your comments.
S

Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

War Dancer number two!!!
This one was one of the easier conversions because she uses the existing Daemonette arms. The others are proving to be more challenging :confused:
Let me know what you think :D

Finbulvetr
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Dwarfs, Wood Elves

Post by Finbulvetr »

Wow, man! Your alter noble is some serious stuff, I have to say (very cool idea to turn him into a she... :drool: )
And WD#2 is really cool too!!! I like her much better than #1, since I'm not a big fan of spears...but the jumping-dancing-blade'o'copter pose is GREAT!!! (and, yeah, she is naked :D)

Nice job, keep it up (seriously, who cares about uni :P)

Salut!
And how alive though it seems
I was there in my dreams.
Nyarlath
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Dark Elves

Post by Nyarlath »

These look AWESOME! :D
Good luck dude. Keep up the good work!
Warriors are like Lemmings!
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

Finbulvetr wrote:Wow, man! Your alter noble is some serious stuff, I have to say (very cool idea to turn him into a she... :drool: )
And WD#2 is really cool too!!! I like her much better than #1, since I'm not a big fan of spears...but the jumping-dancing-blade'o'copter pose is GREAT!!! (and, yeah, she is naked :D)
Nice job, keep it up (seriously, who cares about uni :P)
Salut!
Thanks!
I like this pose better also.
She isn't naked though, I know that it looks that way from the pic, but I have modelled GS to the sides of her breasts so that when she is painted it will look like she has a top on.

Stay tuned, there are more to come!

S

Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

Well I got distracted from completing my WDs while reading about Drycha in the army book. I don't have any cash to spare so I threw this little beauty together :D Let me know what you think.

czar05
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Woodies, O&G

Post by czar05 »

That is an amazing conversion, i love it :nod:
QuMu
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians, Dwarfs

Post by QuMu »

That's just insanely cool! Good work with the dynamic pose.. Dramatic model indeed.. would love to see it painted!

//
Wins: 39
Draws: 14
Losses: 6

My minis: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16997
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

QuMu wrote:That's just insanely cool! Good work with the dynamic pose.. Dramatic model indeed.. would love to see it painted!
//
It's almost time for me to start painting. I just have a couple more models to sculpt and then it is on! :D