Song of the Grove-Kin

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

lune
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: woodies, building up gobbo and demon tzeentch

Re: Song of the Grove-Kin

Post by lune »

Skarlock wrote:...and not just a focus on results.
I don't mean that your must have completed a full model to get comments on. My fault, sorry :o
I just mean that it will be a lot easier to give a good advice that will fit for the result you're desiring when watching at a mini that already got not a single, but 2 or 3 (even if 'minor') changes already so that people get an idea of the end result. If you want more input after each step try out describing what you have in mind for the mini and where your current problem is - I'm pretty sure this will leave you with more helpful comments
:nod:
Skarlock wrote:Thanks again Lune for letting me know how things work on this Forum
I'm not the voice of this forum, it's just my limited point of view - if that covers partially members here that share the same point it's more of a coincedence than actually the summed up consensus :smirk: And as Conar already said: your conversion on the hair is done quite well - I tried to just make my EG champion's hair longer and there are still gaps I have to fill :crazy:
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Grey Knights

Post by Skarlock »

Well here is the progress on my Spell Singer. I have modeled a top onto her in a similar style to that worn by the Sisters of Twilight so that she fits in with the WE figures theme, and doesn't just look like a DE painted differently. I also started to add Spites to the "magic" around her. It is my intension to make the "magic" look like a tree singing spell, an as such will have spites on it. I don't think I will add any extra branches to the "magic" because it will look over crowded, what are your thoughts?
I am still planning out how to make her staff. It is extreemly thin! I am thinking that I will use left over Dryad branches to fashion the end into the shape described earlier in this post. Has anyone elso had experience working with this staff, or other similarily thin pieces?

I have also worked on my Alter Kindred. This was tricky because there were not any existing breasts to use as references for size and positioning. Again I tried to immitate the SOT clothing. The alter Kindred will be hooded in a similar style to the Way Watcher Lord to further emphasize her solitary disposition. She will have a shield on her back that I will scratch build, and I am also going to model a Forest Dragon hatchling onto her "crow" arm and have her resting that hand on a great sword which will be hanging horizontally across her back at waist height from her belt. I am still not sure if I will have the sword sheathed or not. Any thoughts on this?

"Athel Loren shall not suffer the presence of Men, nor Orcs, nor Dwarfs, nor Beastmen. If a foe takes a single step upon such sacred soil, they shall not take another." Skarloc, Mist Walker of Athel Loren

My WE thread http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13389
Vivandrel
Newcomer
Newcomer
Location: A dark cave in the middle of a forest, somewhere in England.

Post by Vivandrel »

Nice converting so far, the treekin are looking nice and the whole project is pretty original. Umm.. one thing I noticed, the spellsinger is a very well endowed elf lady :o *ahem*
WOOD FOR THE WOOD GOD!
Arimata
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Woodelfs, Demons

Post by Arimata »

Hot kleevages. I wanna ask these babes out.
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

Guys, These are little pieces of lead/tin not objects for you to lust over :roll:. I appreciate constructive critisim on my work but I am not attempting to run a dating service :p
If you sincerely believe that the proportions of the sculpt are unrealistic please comment in the appropriate manner.
"Athel Loren shall not suffer the presence of Men, nor Orcs, nor Dwarfs, nor Beastmen. If a foe takes a single step upon such sacred soil, they shall not take another." Skarloc, Mist Walker of Athel Loren

lune
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: woodies, building up gobbo and demon tzeentch

Post by lune »

Simply put: the breasts are cup D or above. If this is what you ha in mind then it's all right. If not, try cutting them off and start again with them - small bolts about in the middle of the to-be-breast should help alot stuffing them. Also work in 2 layers - 1st to give a basis to stuff on, 2nd to size them properly and add details such as the clothes. Note that the 2nd layer should be THIN!
Apart from this: the spites look promising so far, as well as your thoughts on how you plan to model these minis sound.
Hope this is finally more in line of the comments and criticism you're hoping for :)

On a side-note: Fan-service is not the worst thing.. let's people stay in tune ;)
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

I have decided to leave the sculpt as is. I am not unhappy with the results, the chest of the spellsinger looks a lot bigger in the pictures than it does in real life so I am going to leave it alone.

So here is a quick update on my Spellsingers staff. This is probhably the thinest thing I have ever worked on!!!
I used a Dryad's back brach as the head of the staff and just stuck two of the ends together to create the cross over effect.
I am going to model ivy onto the head of the staff as it continues up the staff so that the transition to the mod is smooth.

Do you think I should make the shaft of the staff bendy/gnarly or keep it straight?

czar05
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Woodies, O&G

Post by czar05 »

sorry I'm a few months late to view this :D

Good job!

Not that i would really know but i think you should go straight :nod:
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

A quick update of my progress.
My Spell Singer. As you can see I fixed her chest, gave her a cloak, and finished her staff and Spites.
watch your eyes!!! this Spite is a crack shot

Here is the progress to date on my Alter Kindred Lord. I have created a new head, hood, horns to represent both her "alterness" and possibly a helm of the hunt, along with some WIP gems on her belt. I also fixed this models chest.

Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

I like it. :thumbsup:
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
Thanathos
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Tau

Post by Thanathos »

Very nice work man !
Kragg the Dragon Lord on druchii.net
Wyvern Lord on da-warpath.com
Tal'Rasha on khemri.co.uk

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Anardakil
Death-Kitten of Doom
Armies I play: Wood Elves, The Empire

Post by Anardakil »

That spellsinger conversion is really nice :) I'm looking forward to seeing her painted.

I think the breasts are little bit too high up on the torso on the alter character though. But hey ho :) The thing you did with her head looks very cool.
http://SybariteVI.deviantart.com/ - my art gallery, check it out :)
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Really nice work Skarlock! The spellsinger is indeed fantastic, and you've done a great job with the Alter as well
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Sephiroth
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Sephiroth »

I'm never really sold on models having horns, spoils them IMO.

Otherwise the models are good, give 'em a lick of paint.
Tell me what you cherish most, give me the pleasure of taking it away...

Runescape: Sludge13, champion of Armadyl
Hjiryon
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves.

Post by Hjiryon »

I didn't see this thread until very recently, so pardon the late response:
The alter conversion looks really good. I didn't really like the original model too much once I tried to paint it myself, but this makes it a lot less boring. Still looking forward to seeing the end result with the left arm.

That said: The transition between breastplate and, well, breasts looks strange to me. I mean, I get the fantasy stereotype of leaving certain parts of the female anatomy unprotected (the "distraction AC" syndrome), but I'm not sure it works here, with the scale armor (or whatever it is) being otherwise very consistent. It may end up sticking out too much (no pun intended).
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

I appreciate where you are comming from with the armour comment, but the truth is that I tried and can't sculpt scale armour worth a damn :confused: so I opted for the easier option.

That being said, here is my finished unit of Tree Kin:

I have more pics of these if anyone is interested.
The start of my Tree Man:

and I have also managed to get my hands on some Daemonettes that I am going to turn into Wardancers! :nod: and a mounted spell singer/weaver

TheWargamer
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TheWargamer »

Your Treekins look awesome!
Can you explain to me how you made the texture on the treekin?
Because I also want to make my own Treekins and Treeman.
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

TheWargamer wrote:Your Treekins look awesome!
Thank you :D
I should be able to post aquick tutorial in a week or so. I am very busy with Uni right now :crazy:

Arimata
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Arimata »

Daemonettes as wardancer? Hm. I would recommend to convert them quite a lot; otherwise one will always see the daemonette (and the intention that couldn't match with the un-wood-elfish result). These are just viewing habits that you can't get out of your head. Same with the slaanesh steeds. How are you going to make 'em woodelfish...? Nearly impossible; but prove me wrong.
Greetings. Nice work so far.
The Virgin Forest
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WoC, WE and VC and working on 40K DH

Post by The Virgin Forest »

Love your work Skarlock
Arimata wrote:Daemonettes as wardancer? Hm. I would recommend to convert them quite a lot; otherwise one will always see the daemonette (and the intention that couldn't match with the un-wood-elfish result). These are just viewing habits that you can't get out of your head. Same with the slaanesh steeds. How are you going to make 'em woodelfish...? Nearly impossible; but prove me wrong.
And this comes from the guy using pterodactyls as warhawks ;)
– it is said that the apples of Athel Loren gain their deep red hue from the blood of its enemies soaking the ground.
Arimata
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Arimata »

The Virgin Forest wrote:... And this comes from the guy using pterodactyls as warhawks ;)
:D
Made your point. But as my we's are to be found in Lustria- can be read in my army-history- teradons fit. And as teradons are just vehicles, imho its a difference than to use demons as the folk itself.
Shyanekh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Shyanekh »

The Virgin Forest wrote:Love your work Skarlock
Arimata wrote:Daemonettes as wardancer? Hm. I would recommend to convert them quite a lot; otherwise one will always see the daemonette (and the intention that couldn't match with the un-wood-elfish result). These are just viewing habits that you can't get out of your head. Same with the slaanesh steeds. How are you going to make 'em woodelfish...? Nearly impossible; but prove me wrong.
And this comes from the guy using pterodactyls as warhawks ;)

He does have a point, a lot of people will raise an eyebrow looking at them, especially if you're making a "standard" wood elf army rather than corrupted/fallen elves.
Having said that I think I see what you're looking to do with them... are you going for shapeshifters/changelings?

I do love the rest of your models and may well steal your spellsinger idea :p
TheWargamer
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TheWargamer »

Skarlock wrote:
TheWargamer wrote:Your Treekins look awesome!
Thank you :D
I should be able to post aquick tutorial in a week or so. I am very busy with Uni right now :crazy:
Okay, thanks alot!
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Skarlock »

This image is what started it all for me

As you can see there will be A LOT of conversion work :D but that is what I enjoy!!! They will not have any claw arms, I will cut away all Daemonetty bits and resculpt motal limbs onto them as well as arming them with the pictured swords and some spears I have lying around. I am also planning to make a musician out of one of them, she will be holding a harp.
For the mounted Daemonette, I am going to cut her off of the Daemonic steed and mount her on either an Elven steed or a Great Eagle (which would be best in gaming terms?)

What size bases are Wardancers supposed to be mounted on?

Thank you all for your comments! Please feel free to continue critiqueing my work :nod:

Shyanekh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Shyanekh »

Skarlock wrote:This image is what started it all for me

As you can see there will be A LOT of conversion work :D but that is what I enjoy!!! They will not have any claw arms, I will cut away all Daemonetty bits and resculpt motal limbs onto them as well as arming them with the pictured swords and some spears I have lying around. I am also planning to make a musician out of one of them, she will be holding a harp.
For the mounted Daemonette, I am going to cut her off of the Daemonic steed and mount her on either an Elven steed or a Great Eagle (which would be best in gaming terms?)

What size bases are Wardancers supposed to be mounted on?

Thank you all for your comments! Please feel free to continue critiqueing my work :nod:
A full unit modelled like that would look amazing! Best of luck to you ;)

Wardancers go on a standard infantry base (I think they're 20mm)