Unicorn's conversions (1st Jun - beasty BSB)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Unicorn's conversions (18th Nov - thredomancy/2nd Treeman)

Post by Herald »

Good to hear you're happy! :D
unicorn wrote:Today's update is very minor in terms of conversion - the original GW model is simply awesome, so there was minimal need of change.
What model is this? Me like. Nothing overdone. But isn't he kind of 'slick', like no barkstructure on this huge tree? Just a thought...
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

Herald wrote:What model is this? Me like. Nothing overdone.
GW plastic Ent - THIS one
But isn't he kind of 'slick', like no barkstructure on this huge tree? Just a thought...
Kind of? Yes. Not too much "folds" and "bark" on him. On other hand, also not too few. The linked picture can give you good feeling about how much "bark" is on him. He looks like some kind of oak tree, I will say from his bark ;)
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

unicorn wrote:Kind of? Yes. Not too much "folds" and "bark" on him. On other hand, also not too few. The linked picture can give you good feeling about how much "bark" is on him. He looks like some kind of oak tree, I will say from his bark ;)

Actually, I think it's modelled on a birch tree. Oak trees are very gnarled and barky (a lot of texture). Birches tend to have smoother bark. In fact, certain types of birch bark can often be peeled in sheets and is like thin waterproof card :smirk:
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (22nd Nov - 5th Treekin)

Post by unicorn »

Well, ok... 5th Treekin finished, 6th almost done, 2nd WR unit successfully advancing :) Life looks good in such moments :)

Anyway, here he is - 5th Treekin (and last one for my 1st Treekin unit). This time, his theme was a "snake" A little wired one (but well, all of my Treekins are ;) ), but fits to the rest of his unit nicely, I will say (and hope ;) )

Image Image
Image Image
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Unicorn's conversions (22nd Nov - 5th Treekin)

Post by Herald »

If the intention with the treekin was to show the dead wood being animated by spirits, then you have hit the nail on the head! :thumbsup: And they look great as well, very creative. :nod:
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Herald wrote:If the intention with the treekin was to show the dead wood being animated by spirits, then you have hit the nail on the head! :thumbsup:
Yeah, that exactly was the intention. The only one. Maybe besides my intention to make my Treekins looking at least a little less ugly that the official models looks like. Well, that means that what you mention was one of my two intention. Only two intention...
Only two, maybe besides the intention to save my money. The official treekins are not only ugly, but ridiculously expensive as well. So, it was one of my three main intentions. Definitely. One of the three of them ;)
And they look great as well, very creative. :nod:
:D
Thank you a lot :) I am glad someone likes them :)
Painted
Finished
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

unicorn wrote:The official treekins are not only ugly, but ridiculously expensive as well.
qft :nod:
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (25th Nov - 6th and last of Treekins)

Post by unicorn »

OK, the very last one of my treekins is completed. This one have the "gorilla" theme; unfortunately the "hands" are a little too big, but it sill works, hopefully. Anyway, here he is:

Image Image
Image Image

Also the WRs are almost finished, just some final details and base flock to add and they are ready for action! :D
Painted
Finished
matthewmw64
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Unicorn's conversions (25th Nov - 6th and last of Treekins)

Post by matthewmw64 »

What parts from the Dryad kit exactly were used for those treekin? Just spare parts from the kits or are there "necessary" parts in there?

Also, do you think Gor bodies would work for the WD conversions? Tempted to do somethign similar, but need the Ungor bodies in a box for another conversion :)
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

matthewmw64 wrote:What parts from the Dryad kit exactly were used for those treekin? Just spare parts from the kits or are there "necessary" parts in there?
Well... No parts are really "necessary" at all. Though - I am using the dyrads "hair" bits as the "legs" - they provide good base for the rest of the model. And for each model, I find something (not necessary from the Dryads range) what will represent the head.
Anyway, the rest of the bitz are hands and back braches choosen only by my actual mood and need ;)
Also, do you think Gor bodies would work for the WD conversions? Tempted to do somethign similar, but need the Ungor bodies in a box for another conversion :)
Well... There are 2 problems with Gors: They are pretty big for 20x20 bases and they are too big for "normal" elven heads and hands.
The 1st problem can be managed pretty easily thanks to the fact WDs are not RnF unit, so they can overlap over their bases.
The 2nd problem is a little harder. In the hand part, you can use original hands (as I am using for my WRs) and convert only weapons they are holding. IN the head part, you need to find something you will use instead of the typical WE heads. One possibility is (as I does for my WhRs) using the heads from other (animal) models - I think the Gors with eagle, horse, wolf and boar heads should be possible while original and nice.I believe you can also use the WE heads I am using in case you will provide them with long enough neck (I think it must be a little longer that normal one) and with some significantly large horns (like at THISpicture of my old testing model). Maybe even something like THIS(normal head with significant large hairs) should be enough to visually enlarge the head enoug.
Painted
Finished
matthewmw64
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by matthewmw64 »

Ahh, I see.

Ok then, would the Gor bodies work for the WR conversions you did previously, or are they also too big for the WE horses?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

matthewmw64 wrote:Ok then, would the Gor bodies work for the WR conversions you did previously, or are they also too big for the WE horses?
I am not sure, really. I will test that when I will start the works on WR noble, but that is still the future. But I think they will have a little too "fat" waist, while the rest will be OK. I believe (and hope, as I already have plans for that noble :) )it will be possible though :)
Painted
Finished
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (30th Nov - 2nd WR unit painted)

Post by unicorn »

So, after all, they are finally painted, flocked, varnished and even photographed :) After about 5 or so months of "working" on them ;) Well, life is sometimes damn time-consuming :D
Anyway, here they are. My 2nd Wild riders unit is here! :sexy:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Also, for monthly modelling challenge, I take better pic of my earlier posted converted WD noble. If you are interested, the photo is HERE
Painted
Finished
Fantasyfreak
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Unicorn's conversions (30th Nov - 2nd WR unit painted)

Post by Fantasyfreak »

Awesome stuff Mr single-horned-horsey!

(Actually, I just looked at your Avatar and only just realised that it isn't a Unicorn <.< , I'm dissapointed :tear: )

I really, really like what you've done with the building of the Treekin, totally excellent, brilliantly executed from the fluff concept.
I was trying to sculpt my own, but have sort of given up as they wasn't going the way I'd hoped and I'm lazy.

Get some paint on the Treekin, I want to see what they look like! :)
ArchMagosAlchemys wrote:In my great victory over the hated Thorek using my unit of 82GG

My Autumal Wood Elves blog
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Fantasyfreak wrote:(Actually, I just looked at your Avatar and only just realised that it isn't a Unicorn <.< , I'm dissapointed :tear: )
Actually, it is. It is a Black Unicorn - VIT13, CMP2, flying Undead unbribable monster which can be channeled only by Guardians and Eternal Witch Lords. Just take a look - this is exactly THAT unicorn I get my nickname from ;)
Get some paint on the Treekin, I want to see what they look like! :)
Sir! Yes, sir! On my way, sir!
Painted
Finished
yeps
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Asrai, working on Chaos Warriors.

Post by yeps »

I really like the way that you do your treekin. So much in fact, that i stole the method for my own. They now also double for chaos spawn occasionally.
Signatures? What is this madness?!
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

unicorn wrote:
Fantasyfreak wrote:(Actually, I just looked at your Avatar and only just realised that it isn't a Unicorn <.< , I'm dissapointed :tear: )
Actually, it is. It is a Black Unicorn
For the record, your Black Unicorn is technically not a unicorn at all. Unicorn's, by their very definition, are always single-horned horses ("traditional" unicorns also have a beard, cloven hooves and a lion's tail...). Any horse with wings, horned or not, is a pegasus ;)
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

yeps wrote:I really like the way that you do your treekin. So much in fact, that i stole the method for my own. They now also double for chaos spawn occasionally.
Glad you like them and glad I inspired someone :)
Beithir Seun wrote:For the record, your Black Unicorn is technically not a unicorn at all. Unicorn's, by their very definition, are always single-horned horses ("traditional" unicorns also have a beard, cloven hooves and a lion's tail...). Any horse with wings, horned or not, is a pegasus ;)
Well... ;) Once again:
It is not "my" unicorn. It is the thing where my nickname come from. Becausemy nickname come from exactly this one and only source - the Guardians R2 card:
And, what is written there? Black Unicorn. So, that's it. That's me. I am not some "normal" or "general" unicorn. I am this card (and YES - card. My nickname is because of this card, not what is written or pictured on it or so). S, if you do not like it, do not blame me. Blame Brom, the famous artist and creator of the Guardians game ;)
Painted
Finished
Salamander
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood elves, Imperial Guard

Post by Salamander »

@Unicon/Beithir convo: Oh snap!

Also, I really enjoy your models Unicorn :) you seem to have a really great knack for building stuff :) How long have you been doing this?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Salamander wrote:Also, I really enjoy your models Unicorn :) you seem to have a really great knack for building stuff :)
Thank you! I am really happy you enjoy my models :)
Anyway, about my "knack"... I have some serious problems with my fine motor skills, though working on such small models makes it better slowly, thanks to all this practicing. Still, everything takes me much more time that it should take. Anyway - back to the topic ;)
All my conversions are more based upon ideas that upon any real skills. Ideas about what to do to make it look cool; or how to do it simple while looking complex ;) If you wish, just try anything from this thread by yourself - it may be time-consuming, but definitely not hard ;)
How long have you been doing this?
Hmmm. Let me check.
My 1st "conversion" here (beginning of my WRs) was posted 26th Feb 2008. My first models was painted about 1 month before that. So, less that 2 years ;)

BTW, one of my Treekin unit is finally painted. They are significantly darer that I wish to have them, but they still looks acceptable. I just need to find some time to take the pictures of them and then I will post them here :)
Painted
Finished
Salamander
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood elves, Imperial Guard

Post by Salamander »

2 years?!? Damn... your pretty amazing then :P
agilis
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by agilis »

Hey Mate,
This thread is an amazing read. Can't Get enough. Your conversions are really amazing; i thought i was cool when i changed a sword to a spear :confused:
I especially like your wild riders and tall, slim treeman. Ill be doing some WR conversions myself sometime soon (looking shoddy im sure) and ill throw them up for comparison, just so ppl can see how great your stuff really is.
Keep up the good work, baited breath for a full army spread
Agilis
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Yuri »

Is that Scorched brown you've used to paint those riders?
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Yuri wrote:Is that Scorched brown you've used to paint those riders?
What part? But still, it will be NO.

The HUGE part of resulting colors of my army consist of two facts:
1) I am using brown primer. Not white, nor black. Brown.
2) Each and every of my models take "final touch" in form of light, all-over Gryphonne Sepia Citadel Wash. It unify the feeling of my models no matter what colors I used on them, it pick out the 3D aspects of the model, and it is simple and cool :)

Hope that helps. If not, try to be more specific what you wish to know, please, and I will do my best to answer your questions
Painted
Finished
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Yuri »

unicorn wrote:Hope that helps. If not, try to be more specific what you wish to know, please, and I will do my best to answer your questions
Uh, oh, my bad. Sorry. I've got the answer so it doesn't matter. I was thinking on horse parts. :crazy: :D
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda