Unicorn's conversions (1st Jun - beasty BSB)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Unicorn's conversions (22nd Apr - "challenge" update)

Post by unicorn »

Well, the update - right "in word" only, pictures will be tomorrow most probably.

So, how my status looks like 3 days before the tourney?
All I need to do is to convert at least 2 (better 4 or 5) another WhRs, 9 (better 10) WWs and then glue 10 GGs (well, that is easy one ;) ) and 1 eagle noble from Gamezone range (UGH... Last time it takes about the some time as conversion of 5 WhRs! :D ).
1 eagle noble
Completed... It was though, but really not as much as last time. Thanks God for the sodium bicarbonate gluing tick! No matter this model was even harder to put together and more badly cast that the last one, he one have "only" 5 pins inside (in compare to 17 pins in the previous one) and only about 3 millimeters of GS (in compare to about 3 centimeters in the previous one). I really can not imagine that I will put him together without that bicarb!

10 GGs
Easy one. Only "special" thing about them is that I create them in such way they can be easily deployed in 2 lines without problems; and I give them some "unit pose", as when lined in 1 line, they all aim at the some point close in front of the unit.

10 WWs
Done. But... Ouch. The basic conversion was "simple" (about hour per model), but the idea to "sculpt" them hairs was BAD. Yeah, it looks good (or, at least I really like the final result). But spend 45 more minutes per model with stupid, fine and boring work is not as great as it sounds, especially as long as you (or me, in this case ;) ) have a disorder of fine motor. The new unit have no capes, but they still have masks; and the poses was mean to reoresent the unit sneaking through the wood behind enemy lines :)
Pictures most probably tomorrow ;)

5 WhRs
O-ou... The bodies and legs are about to be finished (most probably tomorrow), but I do not get my ordered wings... So, it looks like I really failed here :( Most probably I will be forced to "proxy" my 4th unit with original WhR models, unfortunetally :(
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark ELves, converted Eldar (exodites...) and a bit of this and that (love to paint)

Re: Unicorn's conversions (22nd Apr - "challenge" update)

Post by Farodin »

Hey, good to hear again from you! Looking forward to see the pics.
Too bad that you haven't got your wings :( .

-Farodin
t12161991 wrote: I thought it would have been something along the lines of "Spez Mahreens. Kill. Kill again. Look good while killing. Proclaim that you're the best at killing while killing. Minor plot disturbance caused by a cracked fingernail. More killing. Kill the alien/chaos lord. Kill some more."
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (23rd Apr - 2nd WW unit)

Post by unicorn »

Ok, so here they are. The 2nd WayWatcher unit, and this time I was trying to stylize them into theme of "sneaking behind enemy lines," or maybe more simple "scouting." Besde that, I decide to "Guerilla Woodelves" style hairs instead of capes I have in my 1st WW unit, to keep with my style of visually differing units.

As I already stated, the worst thing on them was their hairs. Whole model without them takes me about 1 hour per each - including positioning, gluing, GStuffing... Everything beside hairs. The hairs itself take about 45 minutes per model (and in case of one of them, 3 hours, as everytime when I was nearly finished, I squish all my work with uncareful forefinger...), and it was damn boring time...
I hope the result is worth that amount of time...

Anyway, here they are:

And models separately (each line is another model):
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Very nice work indeed Uni! Great stuff :nod:
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
lune
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: woodies, building up gobbo and demon tzeentch

Post by lune »

Neat conversion work - I only fear that even after priming there could still be a small line to see where the GG head ends and the GS hair begins... :confused:
One thing that really confuses meis that I cannot see any quivers.. ?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (23rd Apr - 2nd WW unit)

Post by unicorn »

The Asrai do not allow to put too many pictures into one post or what, so double post ;) More RnF WWs to go :D

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Painted
Finished
VampireElf
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood elves, Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts

Post by VampireElf »

Looking quite cool, really want to see them when their painted :sexy:
lurking....
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Re: Unicorn's conversions (23rd Apr - 2nd WW unit)

Post by unicorn »

lune wrote:One thing that really confuses me is that I cannot see any quivers.. ?
Yeah... No quivers, but they have bows at least! ;)
Painted
Finished
Phenatix
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Phenatix »

The leaves on the first page on the WR make my greenstuff skills cry.

EDIT: actually all your greenstuff modeling has the same effect on me
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark ELves, converted Eldar (exodites...) and a bit of this and that (love to paint)

Post by Farodin »

Great stuff Uni! Can't wait to see it painted, although I think you should've sculpted quivers... Where do the arrows come from when you dont ahve a quiver?

-Farodin
t12161991 wrote: I thought it would have been something along the lines of "Spez Mahreens. Kill. Kill again. Look good while killing. Proclaim that you're the best at killing while killing. Minor plot disturbance caused by a cracked fingernail. More killing. Kill the alien/chaos lord. Kill some more."
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Post by Ryikko »

Those are some completely awesome WW uni! Your conversions really inspire me to get back into my WEs!

Show us more! :sexy: :drool:
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
Tekeino
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: i play wood elves about 500pts of lizards and some 40k

Post by Tekeino »

hey um for some personality on ur GR if u have an uncustomized unit how bout green stuff vines like on the great wepon noble onto the horses and maybe some WE Tatoos? might help give them sum awesome factor :ninja:
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (2nd May - better pics of Treeman)

Post by unicorn »

Ryikko wrote:- pics are dark and detract from the look of the mini. Do you have a 3 lamp setup (top, left, right) to take pics? I really would like to see this treeman in a better light
To enter the actual monthly challenge, I take better pics of my treeman, so hopefully this time you will be able to see him "better" ;)

BTW, if anything will not turn wrong, I will have painted WD unit in several dayes ;)
Attachments
treeman01.jpg
treeman02.JPG
treeman03.JPG
treeman04.JPG
treeman05.JPG
Painted
Finished
VampireElf
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Unicorn's conversions (2nd May - better pics of Treeman)

Post by VampireElf »

Liked that treeman, I voted for it ;)
lurking....
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Ryikko »

Nice pics Uni!
He's got a strange Optimus Prime look about him, actually... :roll:
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Ryikko wrote:He's got a strange Optimus Prime look about him, actually... :roll:
Huh? What is it "Optimus Prime look"? :paranoid:
Painted
Finished
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

unicorn wrote:
Ryikko wrote:He's got a strange Optimus Prime look about him, actually... :roll:
Huh? What is it "Optimus Prime look"? :paranoid:
linky
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
VampireElf
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by VampireElf »

Yeah, little similiar. And I love em both :D
lurking....
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (6th May - WD unit painted)

Post by unicorn »

Oh well, after a LOT of work (it takes about 3 hour per model, OMG :) ), they are finished... Only the sun refuses to cooperate, so I take my pictures inside... I promise thjat when the sun will come out and I will have a time, I will take better ones!

And now to the topic, jump the pictures in and hope you will like them :D

The overall look of the unit

And now the close-ups
The command group...
Image Image

...and the RnFs
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by unicorn on 06 May 2009, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
Painted
Finished
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Re: Unicorn's conversions (6th May - WD unit painted)

Post by Tuhis »

Really great work! :thumbsup: And the necks don't look rough at all when painted. :D

The musician's horn looks pretty flat though. It needs some stripes to look like a real horn.
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Farodin »

Nice models! Although I do agree with Tuhis, the horn could use some stripes :wink: .

-Farodin
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Ryikko »

They look great, but their necks are waaaay too long :confused:

The freehand tats are great though ;)

I'm looking forward to more :D
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (20th May - Branchie conversion)

Post by unicorn »

Thank you all for the comments to my WDs. i will try to do something with the muso horn for sure, but I dunno how it will turn out. Well - I will see ;)

Anyway, here is my new conversion. Heavily inspired by Guerilla Woodelves, who I love damn much, I decide to try to create my own (plastic) Branchie according to them. Originally, the head was planned to watch directly forward, but for some reason it slide back during glue hardening and when I found it, I was lazy to cut it out, clear it from the glue and glue it again. Plus, I was thinking that with the "human" face facing upward, she will be easier to differentiate inside of my dryad units.
BTW, the painting plan is that the bark (rough GS parts, plus the "hairs" will be gray, while the rest of the body (face including) will be light brown wood. Hope it will work in real ;)

Overall look:

The "profiles and silhouette":
Image Image
Image Image

And some overall pics:
Image Image

Ah, and BTW2 - that GS stacks on the base... Friend of my suggest that and I must say it works pretty good - I use remaining GS after converting to create such chunks on bases and after the basing, they look pretty good, as they are not completely flat.
Painted
Finished
Dragon
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WE, DE

Re: Unicorn's conversions (20th May - Branchie conversion)

Post by Dragon »

fakt hustý :eek: :thumbsup:

(for non czech speaking: "really cool!")
May the forest be with you! (in this edition more than ever)
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Unicorn's conversions (20th May - Branchie conversion)

Post by Farodin »

Yeah, that's some great work Unit!! Keep it going :thumbsup:

-Farodin