Unicorn's conversions (1st Jun - beasty BSB)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Rabu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Unicorn's conversions (6th January - more WDs)

Post by Rabu »

I was wondering about these fine looking Treeman conversions you can see in a lot of thread these days, is there enough trees in the citadel box to make one treeman or does it require two boxes? or is it one tree box and dryadspure?

/Rabu
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

Rabu wrote:I was wondering about these fine looking Treeman conversions you can see in a lot of thread these days, is there enough trees in the citadel box to make one treeman or does it require two boxes? or is it one tree box and dryadspure?

/Rabu
My treeman is made from one tree box only, but I am pretty sure some others was made from more that one box. Dryad spure bits are aditional, not necessary.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Grey Knights

Post by Skarlock »

I think your Tree Man is fantastic Unicorn!!! I am just torn as to whether I want to use the box to make my Tree Man or sculpt him from scratch. I have a GW Tree Man that I customized, but I am not happy with it. Was it an enjoyable experience putting the Tree Man together from the box kit, or was it a headache? I am finding that sculpting is a very time consuming process because it is best to leave everything to dry before moving on so that you don't crush you detail. What to do, what to do..... :confused:
"Athel Loren shall not suffer the presence of Men, nor Orcs, nor Dwarfs, nor Beastmen. If a foe takes a single step upon such sacred soil, they shall not take another." Skarloc, Mist Walker of Athel Loren

My WE thread http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13389
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Skarlock wrote:Was it an enjoyable experience putting the Tree Man together from the box kit, or was it a headache? I am finding that sculpting is a very time consuming process because it is best to leave everything to dry before moving on so that you don't crush you detail. What to do, what to do..... :confused:
I will not call it "enjoable", but with THIS manual, it was not so bad (be aware, the pictured treeman is most probably made from 2 combined boxes!)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
wouster7
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by wouster7 »

Hey Unicorn.

Just had a look at your stuff. Pretty impressive I must say. So much so that I'll have to steal your Centaur's idea for my army : ) Hope you don't mind. I have old reaver elven steeds and hopefully marauder maybe fanatic bodies to use.

Keep up the great work and inspiring others :D
Whaaapaaahh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Whaaapaaahh »

I like how you sculpted the leafes on them very nice job :nod:
Very Nice
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (2nd Feb - Treeman painted)

Post by unicorn »

I am taking a little break from converting//painting, so only thing I finished during last month is this Treeman... Hopefully I fill get second breath and start again with full speed in upcoming dayes! ;)

Anyway, here it is..:
Image Image
Image Image

Image Image

and head detail:
Painted
Finished
Benigno
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Re: Unicorn's conversions (2nd Feb - Treeman painted)

Post by Benigno »

Treeman branch-pennis? :lol:
The forest has many eyes as leaves.
Dragon
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WE, DE

Post by Dragon »

nice and interesting... I like every selfmade threeman. my treeman comning soon :wink:
May the forest be with you! (in this edition more than ever)
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Post by Ryikko »

Benigno wrote:Treeman branch-penis? :lol:
Haha! He's like an Iguana: He can split his....appendage in two! :lol:

But in all seriousness, that really is impressive Uni.
The face is really sick, I assume you sculpted that?
My only things I would like to point out:
- He's a little flat dimensionally. Reminds me of the WD sculpts GW has..hmm ;)
- pics are dark and detract from the look of the mini. Do you have a 3 lamp setup (top, left, right) to take pics? Ireally would like to see this in a better light
- Mr. Spaghetti-legs looks like he's unstable and reaching out to grab something so he doesn't fall backwards :roll: .

But I'm nitpicking. It really is imposing and must have some serious presence on the table.
If you don't mind me asking however, why are you making one? I thought you ran a Sethayla list with everything M9+? :confused:
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Benigno wrote:Treeman branch-pennis? :lol:
Treeman branch-loincloth ;)
Ryikko wrote:
Benigno wrote:Treeman branch-penis? :lol:
Haha! He's like an Iguana: He can split his....appendage in two! :lol:
All birds have their... appendage splitted as well ;)
But in all seriousness, that really is impressive Uni.
The face is really sick, I assume you sculpted that?
Ah, yes. After I prepeare really GREAT branch for the face, finish his arms and the go to do the face... Only to find the prepeared branch to be the left arm back there ;) Then I decide to scuplt the face. And I think the result is good enough to justify it ;)
My only things I would like to point out:
- He's a little flat dimensionally. Reminds me of the WD sculpts GW has..hmm ;)
- pics are dark and detract from the look of the mini. Do you have a 3 lamp setup (top, left, right) to take pics? Ireally would like to see this in a better light
- Mr. Spaghetti-legs looks like he's unstable and reaching out to grab something so he doesn't fall backwards :roll: .
- ah, yeah. Next one will be hopefully better, I promise I will work on it ;)
- I have problems with my camera; I will take better photos soon
- mr. Spaghetti-legs have legs made out of living trees, each with about 40-50 cm (16"-20") diameter, that (of course) magically reinforced... I think he is OK... And beside that, I was not able to figure out better setup for him ;)
If you don't mind me asking however, why are you making one? I thought you ran a Sethayla list with everything M9+? :confused:
Well, I have different "tournament" army for each of our tournament (and usual casual) point size - ie. 1500, 1999, 2000, 2250 and 2500 (most common); while sethayla army I run only in 1500 an 2250 games.
Painted
Finished
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (17th Feb - testing Treekin)

Post by unicorn »

Hey, I am back again ;)

Right now I am working on converson of the lord on the dragon (the dragon is not conversion at all, but he is... GREAT!!! :D ) Beside that I run several smaller conversion, at this is one of them... Testing model for treekins.

You know, I really do not like both metal models and current treekin models. So, long time ago I decde I wil make my own ones... But I lack any ideas HOW to do it to satysfy myslef. So, this is 1st serious try to do it. Fluff-wise, Treekins are just "husks of dead trees and fallen branches" revieved by Loren spirits. So, I try to create something what will fit this. "Horryfying parrody of a man" made out of dryad branches, hands and hairs :)

So... What do you think? Is this usable or not? I am unsure... On one side, this really IS what I imagine under "treekin." On other hand, is really is "horryfing parrody" ;) So, what is your oppinion?

Image Image Image
Image Image
Painted
Finished
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Re: Unicorn's conversions (17th Feb - testing Treekin)

Post by Ryikko »

It's interesting...

I don't think he follows suit with your treeman; mainly because he doesn't have an appendage :p

I think its an awesome conversion, no doubt, but I think its a bit cluttered. If you ask me to find the head on any of the pics besides the first, I'll have a bit of staring to do...

I think you need to make it a tad simpler, less wiry and more structured to make me happy (but what do I matter? ;) ). Do you have any Citadel Woods bitz left? They might make a nice body.

But hey, if you like them, then by all means go ahead, they look great as they are. :D
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
dmbard
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Post by dmbard »

That Tree Kin looks so cool I can not wait to see it painted as I think it will be easier to make out everything that is going on. Are you going to have some of being vines and stuff holding it together. I really like on the my tree kins (the metal models) painting a lot of leafs and stuff to make it look like that is kind of holding them together. I really love how yours looks and will be waiting to see it painted. I am very impressed by all your conversions as they are a great undertaking.

Dean
Azaireal
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Azaireal »

His lithe form makes him look hungry.

I can just picture him devouring your enemies to sustain himself, but the impurity of his victims will leave a bitter taste in his mouth. This bitter taste will increase his appetite for flesh, leading to his incursions into the open lands beyond the forest's borders. The Spite within will fester, and all will know fear at the sound of his scraping branches. Children will hid under their beds, for fear of attracting the attention of this malicious and hungry beast.

In other words, I do like the model.
Burning of the Azure Grove
Why is everything I did in 7th Edition suddenly so popular in 8th edition...?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (22th Feb - Treekin No2)

Post by unicorn »

Thank you all for your comments :)
Ryikko wrote:I think you need to make it a tad simpler, less wiry and more structured to make me happy (but what do I matter? ;) ). Do you have any Citadel Woods bitz left? They might make a nice body.
Hope you will be more satysfied with his look after seing him in "context" of other models in his unit ;) And after seing that models, of course :D
As for the Citadel Wood bitz... Yeah, I have a lot of them. But they are too robust to work for me (and my idea) :(

Anyway... Here is the new, 2nd Treekin from his unit. After the 1st one, who I try to make look like a cross between humanoid and some weired (3-leg :) )bug, this one was inspirated by duck :) Hope you will like it... And stay tuned, the dragon and his rider are close to be finished! ;)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Painted
Finished
Azaireal
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Azaireal »

I think they look very Lovecraftian side-by-side. (IMHO, that is a good thing).
Conar
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Unicorn's conversions (22th Feb - Treekin No2)

Post by Conar »

Tips for your treekin, as i have sculpted some myself would be

(1) If you want that "Solid toughness 5" look, as atm they dont (Just creepy and awesome) use a dryad body with no legs and work outwards,
(2) Make the hands more visible and obvious (Yet again i used dryad hands but cut off the fingers, drilled holes and added wire, before re attaching the fingers then gs'ing the rest)
(3) Thicken out the main limbs :)

And No, i dont have pictures of mine :p
But you dont have to listen to me, as your treekin rock as they are + look freaking scary (thats if they were like... 10 foot tall and real :roll: )

Hope i was Some use :p
- Conar
Tale Of Gamers

Brettonians!
Painted - 0
To be painted - 25
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14108
liesmith
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Post by liesmith »

I'm still not 100% convinced (that will have to wait until they're painted), but so far I'm leaning towards thinking these are awesome. They definitely fit the "dead branches and trees re-animated" look, and I would agree that they're Lovecraftian in a way, and downright freaky. Do you have a pic for comparison next to a dryad or an elf, perchance? Just to see if they seem toughness fivey or not.

You know what, I take it back; I love 'em. Paint them up! And give us a comparison pic for size, please :nod:
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Thank you a lot for all comments :) And the size-comparsion pic:

Painted
Finished
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (26th Feb - 2nd Alter)

Post by unicorn »

I know I am working on the dragon rider for a long time already, and he is "almost completed" for a long time also, but somehow it happends there is still this and that to do, but this alter was pretty quick and non-problematic conversion. So, this is it, hope you like him..?

Image Image
Image Image

BTW, it is also "strandard alter" build - with 2-hand weapon, shield and that wild-west style hunters hat which can be helm of hunt ;)
Painted
Finished
Azaireal
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Re: Unicorn's conversions (26th Feb - 2nd Alter)

Post by Azaireal »

Raccoon skin hat, or 'Davie Crockett' hat?

Though, I think he actually wore a skunk... Either way, nice idea.
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark ELves, converted Eldar (exodites...) and a bit of this and that (love to paint)

Post by Farodin »

Really cool army you got there mate! Love your conversions, especially the wardancer units. The dragon rider also looks pretty.
But I'm more interested in seeing some really cool painted models, so when are you going to paint them? About the treekin, they look scary, but IMHO they look a bit messy. Too much different parts for my taste, so maybe a bit more GSsing to give it a bit whole? But hey, what do I know :smirk: .

-Farodin
t12161991 wrote: I thought it would have been something along the lines of "Spez Mahreens. Kill. Kill again. Look good while killing. Proclaim that you're the best at killing while killing. Minor plot disturbance caused by a cracked fingernail. More killing. Kill the alien/chaos lord. Kill some more."
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Azaireal wrote:Raccoon skin hat, or 'Davie Crockett' hat?

Though, I think he actually wore a skunk... Either way, nice idea.
Huh? I do not know, what is the difference? :) Simply some wild west (racoon?) hat ;)
Farodin wrote:Really cool army you got there mate! Love your conversions, especially the wardancer units. The dragon rider also looks pretty.
But I'm more interested in seeing some really cool painted models, so when are you going to paint them?
The dragon rider is still not posted, I think you mystake him for the alter..? ;)

About painting... I need to spray basic coat outide of my house, so I will start exactly when the temperatures here will get over abou 10 Celsia ;)
Painted
Finished
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark ELves, converted Eldar (exodites...) and a bit of this and that (love to paint)

Post by Farodin »

You were right, I mistook the alter for a dragon rider. Haha, I already thought how the hell is he running up a dragon's neck :p . Anyway, the alter looks really nice then.

-Farodin
t12161991 wrote: I thought it would have been something along the lines of "Spez Mahreens. Kill. Kill again. Look good while killing. Proclaim that you're the best at killing while killing. Minor plot disturbance caused by a cracked fingernail. More killing. Kill the alien/chaos lord. Kill some more."