Unicorn's conversions (1st Jun - beasty BSB)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Grey Knights

Re: Unicorn's conversions (26th Feb - 2nd Alter)

Post by Skarlock »

I really like your Tree Kin! They are very scary and patchwork looking. I share your vision of Tree Kin being animated pieces of wood, I also really like their thinness, it shows that the spirit is where the toughness and strength come from. :thumbsup:
"Athel Loren shall not suffer the presence of Men, nor Orcs, nor Dwarfs, nor Beastmen. If a foe takes a single step upon such sacred soil, they shall not take another." Skarloc, Mist Walker of Athel Loren

My WE thread http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13389
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Unicorn's conversions (6th Mar - Lord on dragon)

Post by unicorn »

It takes a LOT of time. And it was hard. And hella fun. But the work is over and I can proudly present you my very new and most largest (and my most favourite right now ;) ) model in my army - Lord on dragon!

As you can see on the model, for WYSIWYG purposes I can claim to have oaken armor, amarithe brooch, enchanted shield, and any kind of spear, bow and arrow. And the dragon ;) Only the planned HotH proved to look bad, so I skip it... Anyway - enough talking, here it is! ;)

Image Image
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (6th Mar - Lord on dragon)

Post by unicorn »

and the rider

for better view on him I put him on horse torso, do not look for any mysterious reason behind it ;)
Image Image
Image Image

And the size comparion - quick photo of dragon vs Glade guard... And yeah, he IS huge :D
Image Image
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Conar
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Unicorn's conversions (26th Feb - 2nd Alter)

Post by Conar »

Sweeeeeet dragon dude!

(looks like something off SPAWN.com )
If not, what range is it?

Make it more forest friendly like.... (leaf shaped scales?)

Conar
Tale Of Gamers

Brettonians!
Painted - 0
To be painted - 25
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14108
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Re: Unicorn's conversions (6th Mar - Lord on dragon)

Post by Ryikko »

It is indeed from SPAWN.com, Conar...

Amazing work Uni!I'm extremely impressed. I agree however with Conar, unless you're going all out on the paintjob to make it blend with the forest, I suggest you do a little work to make it more of the Asrai/slumbering forest dragon type.
Do it proud, and keep showing us the awesome progress! :drool:
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
deadlydeceiver
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Druchii , Tomb Kings of Khemri, Asrai

Post by deadlydeceiver »

Awesome-O Uni!!!

That is a nice dragon. At first I thought you built this dragon yourself out of the parts of the Ultraforge dragon (Claws look like those) and the HE-Dragon... Pew! At last I don't have to be this depressed...

Three thumbs up for you :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
But as Conar and Ryikko stated: It doesn't look like a Forest Dragon yet, more like a black one. The paintjob nevertheless is awesome, as good as the one they posted on spawn.com

deadly
I knew you would read this... It's all part of my great plan!

RPG: PotEC
Eldryach:
Chosen Warrior of Slaanesh
Equipment: Glaive (HW), CA, Sh
Abilities: Mark of Slaanesh, Eternal Hatred, Glamour of Slaanesh
Kill Count: 2
Conar
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Conar »

Ryikko wrote:It is indeed from SPAWN.com, Conar...
:paranoid: Hehe :o
Havent checked on there in some time :roll:

Conar
Tale Of Gamers

Brettonians!
Painted - 0
To be painted - 25
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14108
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark ELves, converted Eldar (exodites...) and a bit of this and that (love to paint)

Post by Farodin »

Wicked!! I think we all agree though that the dragon needs to be more like a forest dragon somehow. Still, good work Uni!!

-Farodin
t12161991 wrote: I thought it would have been something along the lines of "Spez Mahreens. Kill. Kill again. Look good while killing. Proclaim that you're the best at killing while killing. Minor plot disturbance caused by a cracked fingernail. More killing. Kill the alien/chaos lord. Kill some more."
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Hey to all, thanks for the comments. Yeah, the dragon is McFalarne dragon, and I forget to say he IS NOT painted (what you see on hïm is the machine painting from factory). He will be painted in the future for sure, to correspond with my army theme (and to look a little les weired :) ). So please, do not look on his paint and imagine him in my standard autumn colours ;) and tell me if you think he need some "WElfish" deetails or not ;)
Painted
Finished
Culain
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Culain »

Cool. Had the same idea about th MC Farlane dragon a while ago...never use a dragon though, so never got to it. Yours is working out fine it seems.
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark ELves, converted Eldar (exodites...) and a bit of this and that (love to paint)

Post by Farodin »

Some wood elvish detail are always nice ain't they ;)

-Farodin
t12161991 wrote: I thought it would have been something along the lines of "Spez Mahreens. Kill. Kill again. Look good while killing. Proclaim that you're the best at killing while killing. Minor plot disturbance caused by a cracked fingernail. More killing. Kill the alien/chaos lord. Kill some more."
Azaireal
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Azaireal »

I can't think of much that might make him look like he's more at home in the forest, as most animals do not wear their habitats on their skin but colour themselves accordingly. But nevertheless...

"The stag is Gaia's favourite because he wears the forest upon his brow"
Burning of the Azure Grove
Why is everything I did in 7th Edition suddenly so popular in 8th edition...?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (18th Mar - Alter painted)

Post by unicorn »

So, this is my 2nd converted alter (and my "standard alter" model for the future) in colours... The idea behide him was simple - I imagine him not only as Alter, but (maybe even more that being Alter kindread member) as one of the Talu Kindread. Long time member... It represents not only the common way I play him, but the feel I wish to give him. That is the reason why he wears Thalui rune on his shield as well.
And - being one of them longer that it is good and safe - he (and mainly his shield) looks like it. It was originally pure white shield with golden rune (it have very Asur look when I started with it, BTW :) ), but after many battles (read: drybrushes and washes :) ) it is really damaged and dirty. I was trying to make whole model (with exception of his weapon and shield - in terms of usability) looking dirty and scary... I hope I get that feeling into final look fo him at least partially. And I hope you will like him :)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Painted
Finished
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Unicorn's conversions (18th Mar - Alter painted)

Post by Farodin »

Wow, not bad mate! Not bad at all, I really like it. The shield does look a bit Asurrish (that's a new word :p ), but that's ok seeing it so weathered and all.

-Farodin
Way Watcher
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood elves, High elves, Brets, considering Skaven, Gobbos

Post by Way Watcher »

Wow unicorn, I think that alter is fantastic! It is a great paint job and I especially like the old and weathered effect you have achieved on the shield. It is an effect that I have tried to get on numerous other models, but it has never turned out as well as yours. Do you have any tips for achieving the weathered look? I agree that the shield looks a little like a piece of asur equipment, but really that is a minor detail. Great work!
~ Way Watcher
The Virgin Forest wrote:BTW: Most memorable use of treekin was when they sandwiched a full unit of phoenix guards containing an archmage with a treeman up the rear :cool:
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Way Watcher wrote:I agree that the shield looks a little like a piece of asur equipment, but really that is a minor detail. Great work!
It was meaned to be like that - something like 4 thousand year old artifact from dayes before sundering, now really damaged and dirty :)
Way Watcher wrote:Wow unicorn, I think that alter is fantastic! It is a great paint job and I especially like the old and weathered effect you have achieved on the shield. It is an effect that I have tried to get on numerous other models, but it has never turned out as well as yours. Do you have any tips for achieving the weathered look?
Thank you for prise :)

About the shield... It is not that hard. As I already stated, I started with pure white (and the notches are modelled). Then I started with few red splashes on top (they are hard to spot now) as a blood, then quick and very light grey brush (makes dirty look for edges), then light "elf skin" brush (makes pretty good dust or dry mud look). Then Sepia (from the new Foundation washes) wash, then that dirty was from the some range, then I re-paint the golden rune (as it was really coveredby "mud"), then black into notches, dark skin wash into notches, and once more sepia wash over whole shield.
About 10 minutes of work, plus about two hour of waiting after washes :) And it is pretty easy I think :)

Other good method I am using for darker undercoat is light elf skin brush, even lighter white brush, and light sepia (or mud) wash; or dark skin was for leather stuff. Can do a lot for the look of the model with only a little work.

Uh, hope it is understandable and it will work for you :)
Painted
Finished
Way Watcher
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Way Watcher »

Thanks for the detailed explanation Uni. I shall certainly look into trying it on some of my models, (I haven't painted many shields since switching to wood elves) though I'm thinking about possible conversions for my own alter.
unicorn wrote:
Way Watcher wrote: I agree that the shield looks a little like a piece of asur equipment, but really that is a minor detail. Great work!
It was meaned to be like that - something like 4 thousand year old artifact from dayes before sundering, now really damaged and dirty :)

Now that you have fully explained it the asur shield makes perfect sense! I really like it how you have a little bit of background for things so small as your alter's shield! Very nice! :nod:
~ Way Watcher
The Virgin Forest wrote:BTW: Most memorable use of treekin was when they sandwiched a full unit of phoenix guards containing an archmage with a treeman up the rear :cool:
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (24th Mar - 3rd Treekin)

Post by unicorn »

Ok, so after a long time spend wiith just watching 2 foots glied to the base, yesterday evening I soehow get an inspiration - and voila! Today, 3rd treekin is finished. He is smallest of all 3 who are already finished, but he also have the most "solid" look. So, here he is:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

BTW, this one was meaned to have "humanoid" form ;)
Painted
Finished
Azaireal
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Re: Unicorn's conversions (24th Mar - 3rd Treekin)

Post by Azaireal »

Two bretons are eating salad in their little keep, when suddenly Charlie has a hard time breathing. Gasping for breath, he flails his arms in the air frantically clawing at the nothingness surrounding him. He fall onto his back and begins to have seizures. Frank, not fully aware of the situation, grabs a nearby goblet of wine and tries to force the liquid down Charlie's throat. Just as suddenly as the seizures began they subside, leaving a very shaken and now partially drunk Charlie on the floor. Believe the worst is over, Frank returns to his wonderful dish, but Charlie does not follow.

Laying still, he groans loudly. His chest bursts open, and up rises the tangled form of a malicious tree spirit, returned from the grave to inflict revenge upon the vegan Bretons.

There really is no need for me to tell you how awesome I think your conversions are.
Burning of the Azure Grove
Why is everything I did in 7th Edition suddenly so popular in 8th edition...?
liesmith
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Post by liesmith »

I like it (and Azaireal's fiction, too) :nod:

I'm a big fan of the patched-together look for treekin, and I think your work captures that quite well.
Skarlock
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Grey Knights

Post by Skarlock »

Awesome!!! I love the animated dead tree bits theme! What do you think you will do for colors on them?
"Athel Loren shall not suffer the presence of Men, nor Orcs, nor Dwarfs, nor Beastmen. If a foe takes a single step upon such sacred soil, they shall not take another." Skarloc, Mist Walker of Athel Loren

My WE thread http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13389
Farodin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Farodin »

The third treekin looks nice mate! Can't wait to see him painted.

-Farodin
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Skarlock wrote:Awesome!!! I love the animated dead tree bits theme! What do you think you will do for colors on them?
Thank you :)

For the colors... I think gray and brown, maybe with a little orange and red adition. It will fit both the "dead trees" fluff and my autumn army :)
Farodin wrote:The third treekin looks nice mate! Can't wait to see him painted.

-Farodin
Well, that can take some time... My current plan is finish 4th Tk, paint 10 WD, 6 WR, re-convert and paint 10 more WD, paint some 3 heroes, convert 5 WhR, one more Treeman and 10 WW. That will allow me to run all my rosters with finalized models, and run our "main" pts sizes (1999 and 2500) in full paint. It is, of course, just "generic" plan and it is possible I will paint my TKs for fun somewhere during this, but who knows ;)
Painted
Finished
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (4th Apr - new "challenge")

Post by unicorn »

Well, I get another "challenge" for myself, like last year summer, where I have 5 weeks to heavily covnert 25 models, slightly convert about 8 models, and "glue" togather 11 other models (so 44 out of my 45 model-wide 1500 pts sethayla ;) ).

This time I have 3 weeks to prepeare my "big" sethayla for upcoming large, 2500 pts tournament. All I need to do is to convert at least 2 (better 4 or 5) another WhRs, 9 (better 10) WWs and then glue 10 GGs (well, that is easy one ;) ) and 1 eagle noble from Gamezone range (UGH... Last time it takes about the some time as conversion of 5 WhRs! :D ). Thankfully fullpaint is not necessary, so I will keep with what I have painted already (40 out of 85 models)...

Please keep your fingers corssed, as I have a lot work in IRL as well, and as this conversions are really time-consuming :)
Painted
Finished
Way Watcher
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Re: Unicorn's conversions (4th Apr - new "challenge")

Post by Way Watcher »

Good luck with getting them done in 3 weeks! I'm sure you can do it, even though I know I would struggle. :D
~ Way Watcher