Unicorn's conversions (1st Jun - beasty BSB)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: Unicorn's conversions (20th jan - 2nd Treekins painted)

Post by unicorn »

Fikol wrote:I didn't read whole subject so if you already answered dont do that again :) but how did you do those bases? these are simply incredible!! :)
Bases?
Well... There are 2 parts about them:
1) the waving. I simply take some lumps of GS and put them here and there. They even do not need to be formed into something, just lump here and hunk there is nough ;)
2) the base flock (it is made over the brown base colour) is from the birch. I take the birch catkins on the spring, add here and there few other ones (but really few), cook them for about 15 minut on 60-80°C, then crumble them in hand few times, and that is it. Cheap, looks great and unless you have heavy allergy on birch (like me, and I have really HEAVY on), it is also easy ;). And after that cooking, even the allergy is nearly OK ;)
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Fikol
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: WE

Post by Fikol »

thank you, I need to check "birch catkins" in a dictionary though ;) nevertheless it's VERY nice
Life is but a dream...
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Fikol wrote:thank you, I need to check "birch catkins" in a dictionary though ;) nevertheless it's VERY nice
http://images.google.cz/images?hl=cs&so ... a=N&tab=wi
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Fikol
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Fikol »

:thumbsup:

It may not be funny but I've got no idea how is it called in my "mother tongue" ... :)
Life is but a dream...
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Fikol wrote::thumbsup:

It may not be funny but I've got no idea how is it called in my "mother tongue" ... :)
AFAIK it is "bazia"

http://www.about-garden.com/e/pl/139-br ... verrucosa/
Painted
Finished
Fikol
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Fikol »

actually direct translation is that's simly a "flower" of that tree :)

Czech is helping polish with Polish language :) good one :D
Life is but a dream...
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (3rd Feb - Mounted noble conversion)

Post by unicorn »

Ok, my Winter modelling challenge entry conversion is done, tomorrow I will (hopefully) start with painting. But for now, this is it ;)
Many details are hard to see, as there is a lot of textured GStuff over textured GStuff, hopefully the painted version will show that all ;)

Image Image
Image Image Image
Painted
Finished
Tribun
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Dogs of War, Wood Elves, Space Orks

Re: Unicorn's conversions (3rd Feb - Mounted noble conversion)

Post by Tribun »

Does he has a Dartboard as a shield :D...just kidding, nice one, start painting!
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Tribun wrote:Does he has a Dartboard as a shield :D
Nope, only the tree stump ;)
start painting!
As it is for the winter challenge, I must finish it till the end of this month. I hope I will made it
Painted
Finished
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Great stuff, Uni! Beautiful details on the armour and shield particularly. The parts fit lovely together, except perhaps for a little high Arnold factor on the arms there. Can't wait to see him painted! :)
But upon closer look, is the horses headgear finished? Looks a little non-defined.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Herald wrote:Great stuff, Uni! Beautiful details on the armour and shield particularly. The parts fit lovely together, except perhaps for a little high Arnold factor on the arms there.
Thank you, glad you like it :)
The "Arnold" factor... well, it fits my other models (WRs mainly) who have the some hands. Besides them, it looks OK ;)
Can't wait to see him painted! :)
Me as well ;)
But upon closer look, is the horses headgear finished? Looks a little non-defined.
If you mean that the shape is "fading out" into his mane, it is only because of the picture. The outline of the headgear is somehow sharp IRL. I hope shapr enough ;)
Painted
Finished
davidvc04
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by davidvc04 »

Good work but it seems odd that he has a lion pelt. Lions and woods usually aren't two things one puts together.

I wish I had your green stuff skills.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

davidvc04 wrote:Good work but it seems odd that he has a lion pelt. Lions and woods usually aren't two things one puts together.
But that is a mistake. In antiquity, Lions where common even in southern europe, attacking flocks of ancient Greeks pretty commonly. Till today, you can remember many Greek legends about lions. It is not THAT common, but Lions can (and are) living in forest.
I wish I had your green stuff skills.
Thanks, but... This are not GS skills. The only skill I have is to cheat my hands to do what I wish to get, and the eye of the viewer to see what I wish to make him see. It is really different skill from what the people who REALLY knows how to work with GS use :(
Painted
Finished
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (27th Feb - Mounted noble painted)

Post by unicorn »

The mounted noble done and finished, as an entry for our A.org winter modelling challenge ;)
Hope you like it :)

Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Painted
Finished
Azaireal
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Re: Unicorn's conversions (27th Feb - Mounted noble painted)

Post by Azaireal »

Its like Christmas, waiting for you to update. Never disappointing in the morning.
Burning of the Azure Grove
Why is everything I did in 7th Edition suddenly so popular in 8th edition...?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (16th Mar - 2nd GR unit)

Post by unicorn »

Ok, this is my 2nd finished GR unit. Not a big deal, just a simple conversion on their cloaks, to make them fur-like - but I really like the result. Yes, it should be done better (and if I will do it on any other unit, it WILL be :) ), but the overall feeling seems good to me; and I think it adds nice touch to the unit.

Anyway, here it is ;)

Azaireal wrote:Its like Christmas, waiting for you to update. Never disappointing in the morning.
Lol, thanks! :D That makes me feel more proud that I should feel ;)
Painted
Finished
Gildesh
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: woodies and gobbos

Re: Unicorn's conversions (16th Mar - 2nd GR unit)

Post by Gildesh »

i love the natural earthy tones uni keep up the good work. can't wait for the next installment
the horses are realy similar in colour to the horse my mum owns so deffo a realistic colouring
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Great looking unit, the cloaks make a big difference. The grey balances the warm browns well. :) Magnetized on steel tray?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Herald wrote:Great looking unit, the cloaks make a big difference.
Yeah - it really suprise me how such simple thing can change the feel of the unit.
The grey balances the warm browns well. :)
Thanx! :D
Magnetized on steel tray?
Exactly. Neodym magnets. Also damn great for transportation - I made a case with steel shelfs :)
Gildesh wrote:i love the natural earthy tones uni
Yeah, I must say - me too. Usually, single models did not look as good as single models colored in more "comics" style, but - at leats for me - the overall feeling of whole army is much better with more realistic tones. That is why I choose to do my WEs like this.
the horses are realy similar in colour to the horse my mum owns so deffo a realistic colouring
Lol, really? Nice to hear! :D
Painted
Finished
Aramil Sair Sianontel
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aramil Sair Sianontel »

Great post, just red it form the start, beautiful models, wonderful artistic conversions hope to see more in the future as they provided a lot of inspiration for me (-and that means i need to steal the idea of the wild rider with the ungor head- especially the one you named coolest mini- fell in love with that one!!)
Thanks for sharing!
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (19th Mar - BSB converted)

Post by unicorn »

Hallo again,
I was working on my BSB conversion, trying to make him fit into my army. But... As much as I am pleased with the BSB itself, I am not completely sure about the banner (and the heads attached). I will be glad for any comments about how you feel about it.
Anyway, the banner is not glued but only loosely placed, so it is a little of-axis from the side view. Just that it will be OK in any possible finalized version ;)

So, here we go ;)
Image Image Image
Painted
Finished
Vahn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Unicorn's conversions (19th Mar - BSB converted)

Post by Vahn »

While I think that the banner doesn't fit with wood elves, it can certainly work with the theme in your army. It seems to me that your elves are more savage and wild than usual, and you have the shape-shifting (or at least half animal/alter thing going on). So I think these are the kind of elves that would stick the head of their fallen enemies in their banners :P I think that as long as you decorate it nicely with some elvish runes it'll be perfect...if you are aming for this savage look.

It's quite cool that the general feel (that I get) is quite similar to the one I get from beastmen models and yet they are sworn enemies.
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Very nice pose! And, no, I don't see a problem with the skulls, like Vahn says, they fit straight into your army. Or you could add some leaves and roses for balance... :)
Jellitin
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Space Marines

Post by Jellitin »

Don't know if you're done with this guy at this point... I'd certainly think so... Anyway, he looks GREAT! Really fitting the rest of your army! Although admittedly, some leaves wouldn't go amiss. He does look great as is though...
So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?
-Cal Noughton Jr.
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Jellitin wrote:Don't know if you're done with this guy at this point... I'd certainly think so... Anyway, he looks GREAT! Really fitting the rest of your army! Although admittedly, some leaves wouldn't go amiss. He does look great as is though...
Thank you :)
In fact, he is painted and varnished, I just was not able to get my hands upon camera to take some pictures of him.
Anyway, be aware - new updates are coming! ;)
Painted
Finished