Unicorn's conversions (1st Jun - beasty BSB)

Want to get advice on paints and colours? Want to brag about your models? Come here, my friend...

Moderator: Council of Elders

unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Unicorn's conversions (1st Jun - beasty BSB)

Post by unicorn »

I start conversion of WR to make them look like centaurs. I planned to convert 2 units, each of 6; at this moment I have juts one in some better WIP. I planned one unit in "charge!" moment, other (this one) is warbanner unit in some "happy" situation.

Hope you will like it, and hope I will make it till the end. Any tips or suggestions are very welcomed :D
Last edited by unicorn on 31 May 2010, 23:33, edited 64 times in total.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Re: WIP WR conversion

Post by Beithir Seun »

So far, your work looks excellent! What parts have you used?
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Beithir Seun wrote:So far, your work looks excellent! What parts have you used?
The horse parts are welfish horses of course :) The bodys are from ungors; the left (spears and horn) hands too. Banner is welfish banner on spear with removed blade.
Left hands are both ungor (shield) and gor (weapon) hands with removed things from them.

Right now I am finishing coversion of the left hands for banner bearer (gor hand with welfish GG sword) and musician (gor hand with some-kind-of-pilum thing :) )
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Lothlore
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Lothlore »

Nice! :thumbsup:
I've actually made the same conversions. The only thing you need to worry about is the heads. They don't fit quite right on the beastmen necks. A few of mine have the head sort of looking downward, giving the impression that the centaurs are even larger. :smirk: Expect that you might need green stuff there too.
I take it that you're of like mind as I am and that this conversion is absolutely wicked. I figure it fits fluff-wise too. Wild, bloodthirsty, S4 hunters They should have made wild riders loof ike centaurs from the start :nod:
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Lothlore wrote:Nice! :thumbsup:
I've actually made the same conversions. The only thing you need to worry about is the heads. They don't fit quite right on the beastmen necks. A few of mine have the head sort of looking downward, giving the impression that the centaurs are even larger. :smirk: Expect that you might need green stuff there too.
I already know it, some GS must replace the non-existing neck :D
Right now I am working on my 2nd WR unit and I am experimenting with horned heads using tup-like horns from TK spure. Just now it seems this can work.

BTW most funny thing about this conversions is that at the end, this centaurs are CHEAPER that original WRs :D
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

From the time of my 1st post, I was able to advance with my conversion a little. So this is it, and I will be glad for any tips, comments or ideas: :D

Musician and standardist get their (converted ;) ) left hands:

I made testing horned head and attached it to one of WRs; at the end I am satisfied with the final look and whole unit will got heads like this (BTW this head is just pinned now, so there is visible gap between neck and body :) ):
Image Image

I create basic torsos for the 2nd unit, so this models are somethuing like pre-phase to my 1st posted pics :) :

When I was working with GS last time, I cut (and mix) it too much; plus after I was done with stuffing, I was not ready to go to sleep already. So I decide I will create "leaf" decorations to all horses from one of my GR units, to make them look "unique" and differ them from other units. At the end, this 2 horses are ready and 3rd model is WIP ;) :
Image Image Image

BTW, I wish to convert saddles on WRs into some kind of light armor they are supposed to wear; but I have no idea how to do it. What kind of armor will be ok? Any ideas, please, anyone? :cry:
Thanx :D
Painted
Finished
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Re: WIP WR conversion (13th March updated)

Post by Beithir Seun »

Looking good so far Unicorn. The horned heads look great, so it'll be good to see the finished model :)

As for sculpting light armour on the centaurs, you could give them some sort of barding over the back of the horse body, possibly made of the same leaf shapes you sculpted on the Glade Rider horses? I assume you want to leave the torsos of the centaurs uncovered so that could be the easiest way to do it...
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Beithir Seun wrote:Looking good so far Unicorn. The horned heads look great, so it'll be good to see the finished model :)
Thanx a lot, Beithir. Besides the neck and armor, I am thinking about making them loincloths. I done some testing and it seems pretty good, I think I will go for it after I will end with other 5 heads :)
Or do you mean painted? My painting skill is not that good :( And my wife don't wish to paint this models, because I convert them as I like them and not as SHE asked me to do it :D
Beithir Seun wrote:As for sculpting light armour on the centaurs, you could give them some sort of barding over the back of the horse body, possibly made of the same leaf shapes you sculpted on the Glade Rider horses? I assume you want to leave the torsos of the centaurs uncovered so that could be the easiest way to do it...
Great, GREAT, GREAT idea! :eek: Thanx, you are SO great! :cry: Wahoooo! :wasted:

* cool down, cool down, cool down even more *

Ok, I am ok. No need of doctor. Thanx a lot for your idea, Beithir :thumbsup:

:D
Painted
Finished
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

unicorn wrote: Great, GREAT, GREAT idea! :eek: Thanx, you are SO great! :cry: Wahoooo! :wasted:

* cool down, cool down, cool down even more *

Ok, I am ok. No need of doctor. Thanx a lot for your idea, Beithir :thumbsup:

:D

Wow :confused: No one has been that enthusiastic about one of my idea for....well, ever! Glad I could help!

As for the 'finished model' I meant when you've finished sculpting them. I'm waiting to steal you ideas for my own centaur Wild Riders that have been sitting for about a year without me starting them :D
YourMumRang
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by YourMumRang »

Nice! They are exactly the same as mine except mine don't have horns.

So far I think they're the best ones I've seen. Especially when compared to all the god-awful Dryad-centaurs around *vomit*...

...even if I do blow my own horn!
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Re: Unicorn's conversions

Post by unicorn »

Hallo, :)
I am here again with my new things.

1st thing is I finished "leafing" my GR unit; so this is their final look. Now I must think about something different from ither ones ;)
Image Image

This are my nearly-finished dryads (well, just leafs needs to be painted now). This unit is very, very slightly "converted"; 5 out of 8 dryads are hitted by arrows, who are stabbed in their wooden bodies. Nothing special, just some testing...
Image Image Image Image Image

Oh well, and because Beithir come with the idea and then he say that he wish to see completed model, I spend yesterdays and todays evenings woring on leaf barding for my WR. I am not sure if this is final look or not, this decisiob will take some time; but I really like the look of leaf barding.
Image Image
BTW I will not do planned loincloths for my WRs. Testing ones seems to look good, but I am not able to model one which will look good and which will fit to their buckles at the some time. I experimente with "leaf" loincloths, but that thing looks just simply stupid. Like adam in eden ;)
Painted
Finished
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Re: Unicorn's conversions (17th March updated)

Post by Ryikko »

this is turning out to be a really great conversion!
I like the horns on the test model, it looks nice and feral, though not overly chaos-y either.
I'm sorry that i can't come up with ideas on how to cover the space in front, seeing as you're against sculpting loincloths, but i'm sure someone has an idea. :roll:
Anyways, its turning out great, and i'm eager to see the final result
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Great work Unicorn! The Glade Rider horses have turned out really well, and the leaf barding for the Wild Riders has turned out far better than I thought possible! Excellent work!
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Heh, thanx a lot :)

I hope I will finish whole unit during this weekend and I hope I will do the testing figure for the 2nd unit as well (I am trying ot give every single unit in my army oroginal look). Plus I got an idea how to do that loincloths, so if everything will turned ok, you will see them here too. Plus I wish to finish painting that dryads too

After that I planned to start working on my next covnersion - WhRs ;)
Painted
Finished
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Re: Unicorn's conversions (21st March minor updated)

Post by unicorn »

This are testing photos of loincloths. What do you think, will this looks good on final model or is it not a good idea?

Image Image
Last edited by unicorn on 24 Mar 2008, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
Painted
Finished
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (24th March updated - final WR look)

Post by unicorn »

After some consultations with one profesional sculptor of minis, I decide to leave an idea of loincloths. Instead of them, I will give my WRs frontal (again leaf :) ) barding, similar to that on their backs. He suggested to shape it like Empire barding is (so the spikes of leaves will be pointed out from the horse body), but I was not satisfied with the final look of this; on other hand I think that in hands of someone skillfull this can looks good.

So, this is final look for one unit of my WRs. Hope you will like it...

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Painted
Finished
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Re: Unicorn's conversions (24st March updated - final WR look)

Post by Beithir Seun »

I think they look excellent. I much prefer the leaf barding to the loincloth idea. Great work again Unicorn!
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (25th March updated - quick pic questi

Post by unicorn »

I am nearly to finish 1st unit of WRs, and I am slowly starting work on the 2nd unit.

In my army, i am trying to visually differ each unit from other, as they are just different bands who choose to follow my main character Ikku at his path to protect Athen Loren from any danger; and they just come from their homes when they hear his call for another battle. Because of this, I am trying to have every single unit at least slightly different from others, no mather if in terms of painting (that is basic) or in their look. The outcome should be the "guerilla" army of many different voluntary and different groups; but groups from the same enviroment and with the same basic theme (autumn). Because of this, I start thinkiíng about how to visualisate my 2nd WR unit.

Now what I am asking... I think that one possibility is to give them different horns on their heads. Right now I am about to put heads on my 1st unit, so I create some heads with possible different horns and try them. This one seems to be best of them for me, and I wish to hear your oppinions how you like it, and what do you think about this horns? Are the previous horns significanlty better? Did theny look OK, or are they too "chaos-like"? Etc.

Thanx for help :)

Image Image
Image Image
Painted
Finished
Conar
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Unicorn's conversions (25th March - quick pic question)

Post by Conar »

Hey

A while ago Magnolia fan posted pics up of his awesomely converted army
and the horns he had used are the same as u r using
just help

http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2& ... &sk=t&sd=a
Tale Of Gamers

Brettonians!
Painted - 0
To be painted - 25
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14108
EC was here
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Only Wood Elves at this time.

Post by EC was here »

I really like the leaf work on your steeds and wild riders. Very well done.
Les sanglots longs
des violons de l'automne
blessent mon coeur
d'un langeur monotone.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

I think the two different sets of horns are great! They're a subtle difference but a very effective one
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Unicorn's conversions (2nd April - final WR unit No1)

Post by unicorn »

I finished whole unit of my WRs and I was going to start my work on 2nd unit; but I found myself a little tired from all that leaf work :) So for now, I skip the 2nd unit and I start my works on Helm of Hunt for my Alter and - mainly - I start testing conversion for my warhawk raiders. At this moment, whole conversion is turning pretty good, but there is still SO much work to do before I can show you ;) So for now, finished unit of WRs is all new I have...

Painted
Finished
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Re: Unicorn's conversions (2nd April - final WR unit No1)

Post by Beithir Seun »

I really like the WR unit. You've done an excellent job Unicorn and I can't wait until the second unit is ready! The Warhawks and Alter sound promising as well so I look forward to seeing them too :)
nightsrage
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by nightsrage »

unicorn wrote:
Beithir Seun wrote:So far, your work looks excellent! What parts have you used?
The horse parts are welfish horses of course :) The bodys are from ungors; the left (spears and horn) hands too. Banner is welfish banner on spear with removed blade.
Left hands are both ungor (shield) and gor (weapon) hands with removed things from them.

Right now I am finishing coversion of the left hands for banner bearer (gor hand with welfish GG sword) and musician (gor hand with some-kind-of-pilum thing :) )
Forgive my ignorance but "welfish" horses are glade rider horses or?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

nightsrage wrote:Forgive my ignorance but "welfish" horses are glade rider horses or?
Horses we got for our WE riders. GR, WR, mounted noble. Generally - yes, GR horses :)
Beithir Seun wrote:I really like the WR unit. You've done an excellent job Unicorn and I can't wait until the second unit is ready!
Thanx a lot! The wroks on 2nd unit goes slowly forward ;)
Beithir Seun wrote:The Warhawks and Alter sound promising as well so I look forward to seeing them too
I am slightly stuck with the warhawks feets. I was not able to get my hands over propper models to create some "stamp" form for them, so I must model that with my own - pretty awkward - hands... Takes SO much time :(
Painted
Finished