2150 Wood Elves vs. Khorne

Moderator: Council of Elders

5ftgiant
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

2150 Wood Elves vs. Khorne

Post by 5ftgiant »

This past Thursday I finally got to play my friend that runs a very difficult cheese Khorne army. He has been quite smug with the winning power of his army since he won a local RT and so I was curious to see first hand how good it was. This was also my first real battle with Wood Elves so I was a little uncertain with how my force would fare against his. Enough yapping...on to the report.

My force:

Treeman Ancient
Aon, CoR

Noble
Alter, HoDA, GW

Spellsinger
Lv. 2, Cal's Stave, Dispell Scroll

Spellsinger
Lv 1, Dispell Scroll

Glade Guard #1 x 10 (w/ Lv. 2 Spellsinger)

Glade Guard #2 x 10

Scouts x5

Glade Riders x5
Musician

Glade Riders x5
Musician

Dryads x8

Dryads x8

Dryads x8

Wardancers x8
Musician

Wildriders x5
Banner

Warhawks x3 (I wanted a fourth one but couldn't find the pts because my army is based around meeting comp for the local RT.)

Great Eagle

His army:
I posted his normal army up in the Tactics section here...
http://www.woodelves.org/Asrai/viewtopic.php?t=5324

But he has made some changes for this fight to try to improve his magical capabilities.

Exalted Champ
Mark of Khorne, Axe of Khorne, Enchanted Shield

Dark Emissary

Dark Emissary

Sorcerer (Lore of Fire)
Lv 2, Undivided

Warriors x20 or 25 (Exalted Champ here)
Mark of Khorne, Shield, Full Command

Warriors x15
Mark of Khorne, XHW, Chosen, Full Command

Knights x5
Mark of Khorne, Chosen, Full Command, Banner of Rage

Furies x10

He had been telling me all week how great it would be for him to have two lvl four wizards in his army. Well I can boast that he only got two spells off the whole game with his 12 PD.

The Battle:
Turn 1 saw my scouts knocking off his lone sorcerer (since he couldn't put him in a unit) so my treeman was able to come out of hiding behind a building. My GR some how took out one of the knights with bow fire. I got one or two tree singings off on a forest in the middle that moved to the left blocking 1/4 of the warrior unit.

His furies were able to charge my GG on the right flank (due to me miss judging how far up I had moved my glade guard) and they started to wipe out my right flank. The only spell he got off was the -1 to hit spell on my warhawks. Everything else of his just moved up.

Turn 2 I had my WH GE and Alter behind his lines march blocking his two warrior units of warriors on the left flank and ready to charge the lone emissaries (which he had stuck behind the two warrior units to protect them from missle fire). My WR moved up beside his knights out of their charge arc and my unit of dryads in the middle of the table moved up and to the left while my WD scooted up a bit and to the right. While my far right unit of dryads moved right to ward off the furies. Everything else moved up and I put my GR into his knight's charge range. He stopped all my magic this time and shooting did little even tho I put HoDA on one of his emissaries. Only did one wound to the model.

He charged my GR with his knights and I fled so he was left exposed to a rear, flank, and front charge from the WD, WR, and dryads the following turn. His furies chased the fleeing GR off the table and so they were out of my hair for a turn. His magic only saw one spell getting off again and that had no effect.

Turn three I charged with my WD and dryads on his Knights but messed up the angle with my WR and was not able to get the rear charge as planned. I was able to take out two knights and lost 2 WD's. I was able to run down both of the emissaries so magic was no longer an issue. The previous turn he ran his general towards the woods to try and take out my scouts which left him partially in the woods. I had my treeman and Spellsinger nearby. Needless to say, he caught the bad end of a treesinging spell to end his life, which is the first time that character has ever been killed.

His chosen warriors inched up because of being march blocked while the other unit had to chase my scouts into the woods, but I fled to a safer area. His furies moved across the board towards the middle behind my last unit of GG with the spellsinger in it, ready to charge the next turn. My WD's and dryads finished off another Knight and took two more Wardancer losses. He passed his break test but no more frenzy since I killed the standard.

Turn 4 I finished the last knight off which he responded with, "That's gay." Nothing really happened this turn except shooting and strangle root on the unit of warriors inside the woods.

His furies charged the GG and I lost combat and broke. He chased them down and decided to overrun into the Treeman. I killed three of them with the Ancient while he did no wounds in return. He failed his leadership and they got sucked back into whatever hell they came from.

The rest of the battle was a bit mundane because it was basically me avoiding him and shooting with whatever I had left. In the last round he had eleven chosen warriors and fifteen regular warriors. My Treeman did strangle root on the chosen warriors doing seven wounds. My friend, very upset with this decided to roll his armor saves quickly, behind the tower on his side of the table (he had rolled in the middle the whole game up until now). He scooped up his dice and pulled off three of the models, leaving just enough so that I wouldn't get half pts for the unit. After which, he boasted of having roughly 900 pts left on the table. I didn't complain because he was clearly aggitated and I was pretty sure of my victory.

After we tallied up, I had around 1400 VP and he had 750, earning me a Solid Victory! I was extremely happy with how the game played out and it was a good victory for my elves. My friend on the other hand blurted out that next time he would play with his normal list with three sorcerers and the hellcannon and that he would beat me then. If it happens that I play him again then it's any man's game. I would change my strategy a little but not much, just to deal with the hellcannon.

Sorry for such a long mundane report but I'm quite excited at the time that I'm writting this and I'm having to hold myself back from giving very detailed information and making this report even more boring than it already is. I hope I made it clear enough to understand what happened. This is my first report and it lacks organization. Well that's all I got.

Till next time...
Silence is Golden
Asthelann
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Asthelann »

well done on your first ever battle....
look left, no, the Other left....
Stormfox
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Stormfox »

Well played. I bet it is especially satisfying to beat such an arrogant player, and rightfully so.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

well played i daresay he'll be gagging for a rematch pretty soon!!
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
orkimedes41792
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by orkimedes41792 »

Can you really get 2 dark emissaries in an army as heros?
5ftgiant
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by 5ftgiant »

Can you really get 2 dark emissaries in an army as heros?
Yep you can. Dark Emissaries only take up a Hero and a Rare.
well done on your first ever battle....
Sorry if I was not clear on this. This was my first battle with Wood Elves, not my first battle ever. I've been playing for a while now.
Silence is Golden
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

Sounds like he's not a ver gracious loser, people who are only amicable if they win and then throw a hissy fit if they lose really annoy me. Anyway good job on your victory wish you luck on the next game vs. him too.
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH

Vântu îl hrănea, apa-l îmbrăca, focu îl păzea, de pământ ferea.
The wind fed him, the water clothed him, the fire guarded him, the earth he guarded.
Kearrann
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kearrann »

Great job man... The only thing I would change is your friend - playing with someone like that is... well... at least annoying. As TerminusEx said - kick his Khornate [censored] again. ;)
"Athel Loren shall not suffer the presence of Men, nor Orcs, nor Dwarfs, nor Beastmen. If a foe takes a single step upon such sacred soil, they shall not take another.”
YourMumRang
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by YourMumRang »

Holy Mary. You can take more than one Truthsayer/Dark Emissary? Madness.

So us Asrai could get 14 levels of magic with +1 to cast and re-rollable spell dice at 2000pts? I'd rather a Truthsayer for 12 levels and re-rollable +1 to dispel.
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

That's a great report. Well done on the win. As others have mentioned, beating such an arrogant player must have been truly gratifying. For future games, be sure you keep him honest and don't let his sportmanship (or lack thereof) take advantage of you. As I read the report, I found myself thinking of the picture in the Wood Elf armybook, showing the Wardancers attacking the Khornate Warband. His army is not even remotely themed or fluffy, which is too bad. For the future games, I wouldn't be terribly concerned about the hellcannon. Wood Elves are better prepared to avoid it than most.
Nightshadow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Nightshadow »

Not to mention the fact that this is the dumbest Khorne army by far. I mean 3 wizards in a Khorne army? Then your just an idiot, only concerned with winning.
"Gobbos fer dinner! Gobbos fer tea! Gobbos where u want 'em! Gobbos fer me!"

- Ruglud Bonechewer's battlecry
faolin fangspear
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by faolin fangspear »

far as i'm concerned anyone without ANY theme whatsoever deserves to lose. i haven't played khorne yet but to have to move towards the closest enemy ought to seriously muck him up with all our oh so manouverable units. :wink:
Mountain33r
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Mountain33r »

Well i recently had a battle against the best player at my local hobby shop who users a khorne army, he has never been defeated with them, and no one has ever got close to beating him, so i gave it a shot, my second battle with my wood elf host, and i was just defeated, he got a minor victory, but even though i lost, the elves had gone the best out of all the other armies he has fought ;), but to beat a khorne army so weel, i say congrats

now i have ready my new 2000 point wood elf force, highborn on great stag :D for a up and coming battle against the hobby shop owner and his vampire counts, this should be fun, i am confindent with leaving with a victory :D
Rayven
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Rayven »

As we all seem to be in agreement about this guy is definately a tool...

...and frankly, if he had played a THEMED Khorne army with ALL Khorne Heroes he would have had a MUCH better chance of success...

You managed to take out his magic users with ease, which would have been a much more difficult proposition and he still would have had plenty of magic defense...he also would have performed MUCH better in CC with those characters involved...

Congratulations and can't wait to hear about you whipping him again, possibly get a referee too, I would be VERY surprised if he didnt do everything possible to ensure a win next battle...

~Rayven~
Prince of Arnheim
Willow Warrior of Wascana
Armies I play: Dark Elves and Skaven

Post by Prince of Arnheim »

I am glad you bea that cheesey magiy Khorne army...it actually sounds like you did it rather easily which should further your opponents shame...

Perhaps you should email him this link to make fun of him ha ha...

Good to hear about your mage hunting..most players don't realise that is easier to just kill those magicians instead of wasting points on magic protection...
Teron
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Teron »

His list is illegal. You can only have a single Albion mage in the army, period. Good job on beating the cheater ^^
Paradie
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Paradie »

Great win! I think next time you play, he'll be so frenzied he'll start making silly mistakes (sending a general into a forest to fight a bait unit of scouts isn't very clever...). Add to this a Hellcannon... Make it go wild in the first turns and watch the mayhem it causes amongst his own ranks from a distance! :evil:

And no need to say, his list is the uggliest one I have seen in ages... Talk about cheese... That's pure Stilton!
The forest whispers my name...again and again

I walk the path
To the land of the dark immortals
Where the hungry ones will carry my soul
As the wild hunt careers through the boughs
faolin fangspear
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

i don't think he purposefully sent his champ at the scouts. remember he is frenzied.
5ftgiant
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by 5ftgiant »

faolin fangspear wrote:i don't think he purposefully sent his champ at the scouts. remember he is frenzied.
No he did in fact purposefully send his general to take out the scouts. A mistake he has wisely learned from.
Silence is Golden
faolin fangspear
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

i just gave this another read and it looks like he said he passed 4 5+ saves rolling 7 dice. :angry: i do not believe that. i have recently played a game against khorne, and i got a draw. this was however, because i let him charge his chosen knights at my dryads, who along with my treekin were fighting chosen chaos warriors (and winning). however he shouldn't have done as only two could see, they did't have the angle, and two would have had to go through the wood. however i had just killed his sorcerer, and he was practically crying. it just goes to show that their is such a thing as being too nice.
matthew_swifty
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood elves, Eldar, Bretonnians

Post by matthew_swifty »

He deserved that beating, a local lad at my club plays khorne and has a 800+point lord riding a dragon(dont ask me how he did it, I haven't a clue) and my friend playing him with his Lizardmen got whipped, serves him right for not playing Wood Elves :P
grendelstalking
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Vampire Counts

Post by grendelstalking »

Two Dark Emissaries?

Per the Direwolf FAQ that's not legal...

"Q. Can you have more than one Dark Emissary (or Truthsayer) in an army?

A. No.

S. Anthony Reynolds - Warhammer Design Team (Online Q&A on the Games Workshop Warhammer Forum)"

Source: http://www.geocities.com/mi_whplayers/dwfaq.html
the Grendel of the forest