Fun Custom Scenario, Wood Elves v Beastmen

Moderator: Council of Elders

iampetty
Newcomer
Newcomer

Fun Custom Scenario, Wood Elves v Beastmen

Post by iampetty »

So for a slight change of pace, a friend and I decided to design our own scenario for a big battle between Wood Elves and Beastmen. The basic setup was the normal 6x4 board, with 2 more 2x2 boards on both sides, making the total table 8x4.

Army composition was: Wood Elves get 3500 points, Beastmen get 3850. Orion and Gorthor were both used, and count for Lord points. We used all the "wood terrain" we had, and then used a bunch of craters we had for more woods. A special rule was that Beastmen would try to burn down a set of woods if they ended their movement phase in it. First, the WE player rolls a die, and on a 6, the woods come alive (similar to the item in Storm of Magic) with 3 monsters with S/T 5, W5, A5. Otherwise, the Beastman needs a 4+ to burn them, and gets 50 victory points.

All the woods on the WE deployment side can be chosen by the WE player, and all other wood types may be forced to be rerolled if the WE player wants. The last rule that I can remember is that Orion and Gorthor get 2+ ward saves from everything except each other until the other is dead.

The board: http://i.imgur.com/7vOdl9t.jpg

The Wood Elves force: http://i.imgur.com/iX2jiMR.jpg (Unfortunately since it was such a big game, I didn't have enough models to cover everything. Had to proxy Warhawk Riders, 2 Treekin and a handful of Eternal Guard.)

Deployment was 8 inches away from the diagonal line of the board. I didn't think to take pictures of the game itself, but I can tell you, it was a lot of fun. And pretty close too.

First turn, my Wild Riders were charged by war hounds (he wanted to charge Gorthor at them too, but he didn't make it). Unfortunately for him, they were next to a piece of terrain that gave them Frenzy, so the hounds were murderfied. Other than that, the first BM turn was mostly spent meandering forward.

Warhawk Riders and Wardancers moved up the left flank, while another group of Wardancers used the Moonstone of Hidden Ways to teleport behind the BM's lines. Dryads charged a mixed unit of Gors, and everything else just kind of moved up a bit.

After a few turns, the Wardancers on the flank were overwhelmed after being flank charged by a chariot, although they caused a huge amount of casualties. My Treekin killed a Giant, then were killed by Combat Resolution due to being charged in the flank. =/The Wild Riders were a speedbump for Gorthor, who was making his way into the center of my army, and my Eternal Guard were charged by Minotaurs. Things not looking so great. =/

But luckily, my Treeman managed to essentially kill off his cav unit (can't remember what they were) with Strangleroot, and then locked itself with another unit (something with great weapons. Unfortunately I'm speaking from memory and don't know Beastmen all that well) and killed 13 of them in one turn. Orion speared Gorthor, causing a wound, before charging him and issuing a challenge. Before Gorthor even got to attack, Orion killed him, before finishing off the chariot the next turn.

Meanwhile, my eternal guard sort of got boned by a spell that makes it so they can't attack, and are hit automatically. The Minotaurs annihilated them that same turn. After that, he began to use that spell on my Treeman. But luckily, Isha smiled upon that glorious monster, for he lived 4 more rounds of combat despite being hit automatically and not being able to attack back.

On the other side of the table, my Hawk riders finished off another chariot, and scraped models off another mixed unit while they tried to reach the middle of the table to assist. But at that point, Orion was essentially running train on the rest of the Beastmen. The Minotaurs had overcharged too far, and it was gonna take them 2 more turns to actually assist.

The game ended with 2500 some victory points for me, and 2100 some for my opponent. We played over the course of 2 days, and it was a lot of fun.

Here was my list (note: awhile ago, we made changes to WE points costs to make them...well, less hilariously expensive. We still didn't use ASF, but it's probably going to seem off if you use the army book points)
Lord:
Orion

Heroes:
Noble
Hail Of Doom Arrow
Light Armor, Shield
Noble
Bow of Loren
Arcane Bodkins
Light Armor, Shield
Spellsinger
Level 2