ETC dragon vs Dark Elves

Moderator: Council of Elders

Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

ETC dragon vs Dark Elves

Post by Mollesvinet »

Wood Elves List

Total: 2600pts (sorry, didn’t see it change to 2500 from draft 1)

Lords (561pts)
Highborn (561pts)
Armour of Silvered Steel, Forest Dragon, Great weapon, Stone of the Crystal Mere, The Other Trickster's Shard

Heroes (644pts)
Noble (181pts)
Armour of Destiny, Great Eagle, Great weapon, Shield

Noble (187pts)
Battle Standard Bearer, Elven Steed, Potion of Strength, Stone of Rebirth, Wild Rider

Noble (126pts)
Additional hand weapon, Hail of Doom Arrow, Light armour, Scout Kindred

Spellsinger (150pts)
Dispel Scroll, Wizard level 2 (Lore of Shadow)

Core (730pts)
8x Dryads (96pts)

3x (12x Glade Guard with musician) (3x150pts)

13x Glade Guard (184pts)
Banner of Eternal Flame, Musician, Standard Bearer

Special (445pts)
14x Wild Riders of Kurnous (445pts)
Musician, Razor Standard, Standard Bearer, Wildhunter

Rare (220pts)
2x Great Eagles

5x Waywatchers (120pts)

Spells: Rolled double pit, changed one into withering and one into miasma

Dark Elves List – Two Towers

Supreme sorceress – level 4 dark magic, 4+ ward

Master – Dark Pegasus, lance, shield, cloak, heavy armor, cloak of twilight

Witch elf BSB – cauldron of blood, sword of anti-heroes

2x5 dark riders with shields

30 witch elves or so

25 executioners

2x5 warlocks

Medusa with bloodshrine

3 repeater bolt throwers

Spells: Word of pain, bladewind, shroud of despair, arnizipal’s black horror 

Deployment

We had the dawn attack scenario, thus the wierd deployments. These are after vanguards. His witch elves could only be placed in a long line, but he decided to point them into his own deployment zone which I think was a mistake. My original game plan was to first to kill his fast cavalry with shooting and maybe the dragon + wild riders if they had a chance. After that I would shoot the executioners and redirect the witch elves for all game. My waywatchers and scout noble were to fire the hoda and then engage the first bolt thrower.
Terrain: walls, normal building, normal hill, quicksand, mysterious river. Left forest is a normal forest with an arcane ruin and my right forest turn out to be a stupidity forest. 

Wood elves turn 1

I get the first turn, my own forest is a stupid forest and both GG1 and the dryads fail their rerollable 10. What are the odds. My dragon and eagle noble moves up to bait his witch elves into not changing direction. He dispels my miasma against the executioners and manages to dispel my wither on DR2 with 3 dice against my 5. DR1 panics to shooting and runs of the board through his own units. The waywatchers and scout noble move into position and I roll 15 arrows which is enough to take off all the warlocks from W2. 

Dark elves turn 1

He moves up, and in a panic he gets very close to all my shooting with his remaining fast cavalry. Both his blocks moves forward, witch elves heading for the dragon as I had hoped. In magic he first cast soulblight on my wild riders, which I let him have. Then he casts word of pain, which I let him have. I have no intentions of charging them anyway. Then he casts doombolt on them, and I choose not to dispel as they have a 4+ ward against it. He rolls 10 hits and kills 5, but to be honest I don’t really need them in this battle. I dispel bladewind against my glade guard, as they are more important. He hits the highborn with a bolt, but I save on my 3++. He shoots a few glade guard from gg3 with the dark riders. 

Wood elves turn 2

Move things into position to kill the fast cav, highborn falls back as he is a little scared of bolts and in case the glade guard needs backup. Waywatchers charge the bolt thrower and takes it off with no damage in return. I was considering doing an assassination run on his supreme sorceress with the wild riders, but they back off instead. They are very debuffed, plus it would give a charge possibility to his witch elves. Eagle noble gets in position to kill next bolt thrower, so does great eagle 1. Miasma 2 move off the executioners and stop the phase. I shoot off all dark riders, but the warlocks pass 12 out of 14 ward saves. 

Dark Elves turn 2

He moves up as fast as he can, his master tries to get a counter charge on my eagle noble. Warlocks retreat. He rolls double one on his magic and I channel. My eagle noble saves a bolt, phew. 

Wood Elves turn 3

I charge the bolt thrower with the eagle noble, but forget my other eagle. The second eagle moves to redirect the executioners. All glade guard form a shooting crescent around the executioners. Dryads form a screen to flee through, just in case. I get no magic off, but I shoot off 19 out of 25 executioners. At this point he gives up, but we still keep playing as the other guys aren’t done yet. Eagle noble kills the bolt thrower and over runs, I was positioning him to overrun behind the master but we made it into a charge instead. 

Dark Elves turn 3

He charges the eagle speed bump and moves with elves up, loses a few to dangerous terrain. I scroll doombolt on my glade guard. The eagle dies and he chooses to overrun. The two “heroes” doesn’t do anything to each other. 

Wood elves turn 4

My spellsinger abandons ship and GG4 moves into the forest so that he has to take a dangerous terrain with his bloodshrine if he charges. My melee units get into a better position for charging the witch elves. The witch elves lose 1 movement to miasma, though I take 1 wound to miscast. I shoot off the rest of his executioners, but his sorceress live due to ward save. I also kill the last warlocks. The two heroes continue their pillow-fight. The eagle remembers to charge, but only does 1 wound.

Dark elves turn 5
Sorry, no picture. The sorceress and bloodshrine charges and I choose to stand and shoot (probably would have fled in a more important game, leaving his sorceress in range of all my shooting). I fail to wound anything but the shrines takes 2 wounds due to dangerous terrain. I break and he catches me. Witch elves move closer. 

Wood elves turn 5

For the hell of it, I charge wild riders and the dragon. We leave the rest, just to see what happens in that combat. First though, I get off withering on his witches, reducing their toughness by 3! He challenges with his bsb, and I accept with my own bsb. He gets me down to one wound, but I pass my stone of rebirth ward saves. I then only do one wound to her with my bsb, but his trusty steed finishes her off. I lose some wild riders, but do almost the same damage back with them. He gets a lot of attacks on my highborn, and I think he also rerolls the hits even if he shouldn’t. In the end I took between 10 and 15 wounds on him, I save all but one on the 3+ (he had razor standard) and save the last one on the 3++. I then slaughter a bunch, as even the breath attack is useful against toughness 1 opponents. I leave him on two ranks or so with steadfast, but we stop the game here.

Thoughts
He is new to Warhammer, and so we talked a lot after the game what he could have done differently. First of all, I think he misdeployed his witch elves by not going straight at me. Second of all, I think he sacrificed his fast cavalry with no real gain. Third, I think he should have focused his magic on magic missiles killing glade guard and even eagles. I think he learnt a lot, so that is always good. We also talked about setting up a gameplan instead of just doing what feel like a good idea at the moment.

Shadow was nice, used 2-3 dice on miasma and then if they let it go i would either stop magic or go for IF.