Wargaming93's battle reports

Moderator: Council of Elders

Wargaming93
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves for fantasy...chaos space marines for 40k

Wargaming93's battle reports

Post by Wargaming93 »

Thought if make a thread to store all my battles instead of putting them with my painting log...easier to look back/find them haha.

2nd time these woodies have ever seen the roll of a dice, this time to new dwarves. Just a small 750pts battle

'after the deadest against the ogres. the depleted, tired wood elves flee back to the safety of Athel Loren. As they ran deeper into the mystical woods, whispers began to sound around them. Slowly getting louder until eventually dryads appeared as if from nowhere to warn the elves that dwarf miners had broken the surface not 100 yards away from where they were.

With the added help from the dryads in their dying days as winter was imminent, the wood elves aligned along the wood next to the opening where the intruders were.

They were blissfully unaware of the arrows all pointed in their direction with hatred....

The lists!

Wood elves

Spell slinger with dispel scroll (pointless in this battle)
10 glade guard with musician as a bunker
14 glade guard with full command - banner of eternal flame (again pointless)
8 glade riders with musician
8 dryads
1 great eagle

Dwarves

28 warriors - heavy armour, great weapons
10 thunderers - heavy armour and shields?!
1 organ gun
A named character who was like a master engineer

I still feel that he went over 750 points and played an illegal list...but I'm unaware of the new dwarves book and the rules for it..

1st turn went to me...picked of 2 thunderers and 1 warrior with the glade guard, moved the eagle and riders to flank (both on the same flank which was a mistake by myself in deployment... Magic saw tree singing move my forest with my dryads in it move 15" towards his warriors

His organ gun killed 2 dryads. He didn't move.

Killed another thunderer as the guard moved up to get him within that loving 15" again the forest moved up, as did the riders and eagle

His organ gun wiped out a unit of guard and his warriors charged my horses and made it. Killing off 5 before I managed to kill one...the failed leadership test.

The forest again moved up and the glade guard left managed to destroy the organ gun.

His thunderers then picked off the last of the guard and attempted to charge the dryads but failed.

My turn seen the dryads charge the warriors and kill 3 before they finished them off. I called it quits there.

Interesting battle, felt as if it was illegal but he's new to the game so I won't be grudging him. Things I could've done differently? Put the riders and eagles on different flanks..block his thunderers by engaging the riders with them, meant I could have focused on the organ gun then the warriors more so.

Ah well. To be honest my dice rolling could've done better..funny old game dice rolling is!! Haha
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Re: Wargaming93's battle reports

Post by Drstrangelove »

sounds like his GW warriors struck before your GR. That shouldn't happen in ANY elf/dwarf combat UNLESS the elf is carrying a GW. Charging doesn't give you first strike anymore: initiative order only.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Wargaming93
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Wargaming93 »

I did think that.....
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

How could you move the forest 15" in a single magic phase?

If your opponent only had the organ gun for shooting, then you would probably have been better off by shooting it first before moving closer to him. This way you would force him to come to you.
Wargaming93
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Wargaming93 »

The rule is 3D6 plus 1" in any direction.
Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

If his list was illegal, it wasn't by much. Thunderers and warriors are core. I believe warriors with great weapons are 10pts a model, so that's about 280, about 100-150 or so for the Thunderers, if the organ gun was vanilla it was around 100pts. So as long as the character didn't exceed the pt cap, all was well.

Honestly, that list seemed very beatable. His organ gun has a 30" range, and you don't need to go near it. His Thunderers are move or fire, so you can keep out of their range as well, and focus your glade guard shots on the Warriors (which are very killable by bow shot). Hes got 2 options then, push the Warriors forward, hoping for combat, which you use your chaff to redirect with ( opening him up for more bow shots) or he moves his thunderers into range giving you a chance to shoot them down, or just move out of range again.

I'd play him again. :) when you deploy, put your eagle down first, in one corner. Put your glade riders second, in the same corner, giving him the idea that you're deploying there. Then put the dryads down, closer to the centre. If he takes the bait, place your glade guard down in the opposite corner, vanguard your glade riders toward them, and move the eagle towards them first turn. That way he's way out of position (which is horrible for a mv3 dwarf) and you have free reign to let loose a bunch of arrows :D

Also, 15" tree singing? How? Even with the item that lets you spam tree singing (which you didn't have) it'd be hard to get that off. The rule is D3+1 inches, meaning one die. A roll of 1-2 is one inch, a roll of 3-4 is 2"s and a roll of 5-6 is 3"s

EDIT: hmm, now that I think about it, games that small are played on a 48x48 board, aren't they? In that case, Ya I agree with what's been said, try to kill off the organ gun, if he has a clear shot towards you. Then proceed to whittle down those warriors :P
Last edited by Luminith on 28 Feb 2014, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Do I like Warhammer? Are you kidding, I've got wood!....elves...
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

All I can say is your list was a good list to play against that dwarf list. dispel scroll and banner could be changed but that is sort of tailoring your list hehe. I think rules and spells need to be read a little more and get a few more games in and you'll be fine. They already said it but i would have taken every single shot first turn to kill the organ gun... he would have no been able to shoot you at all.. next turn kill all the thunderers...well try to. they are 24" range more or shoot still I believe while you are 30" move and fire no penalty!!! Try again buddy! you should be able to whoop him good!
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Wargaming93
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Wargaming93 »

Damn just read the book and yes...it's D3 plus 1"...oopsies. Haha. Ah well didn't effect the outcome of the battle. But as been said..a few more games until I get the hang of it!

To be honest I think I'm playing him again next week, if I don't win il hang my head in shame and leave the woodied before I bring more shame to them haha.
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

No don't do that! it's a very hard army to learn thats for sure. I still get beat up a lot!
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

Wargaming93 wrote: To be honest I think I'm playing him again next week, if I don't win il hang my head in shame and leave the woodied before I bring more shame to them haha.
Haha there's no need for that! Everyone here will tell you that wood elves are an advanced army to play. We're not a 'push it all forward' type army. You need to learn how to deploy, move and prioritize targets well to be a decent wood elf player. And even then the battles are usually close calls haha.
Most of us here learned how to play the hard way, through plentiful, merciless beatings ;) what's important is that every game you take a lesson away with you.
Do I like Warhammer? Are you kidding, I've got wood!....elves...
Wargaming93
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Wargaming93 »

I obviously won't. I love the wood elves too much to do that! Haha.

And yes, I know they aren't a push forward army, but his awful skills and tactical awareness (new player so am not judging) and it was a simple case of I got bored as I knew he wasn't going to advance. After two turns of him not moving I kinda got the picture haha.

As a few of y'all have said. It will take time to learn the wood elves properly but that's all part of the fun!