The Sheffield Slaughter Tournament

Moderator: Council of Elders

tomrobo23
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

The Sheffield Slaughter Tournament

Post by tomrobo23 »

So This is my first post on the forum and it's about my first tournament with Wood Elves. For a bit of background i'm an Empire player and the Wood Elf army was my friends and i'd borrowed it for a few games over christmas. Needless to say i caught the bug and for some insane reason decided to use the army at one of the most competitive tournaments in the UK having had 12 games with them in total. :paranoid:

So my list then. It was 2k uncomped but Woodies, beasts and TK got 300 more points and could choose a piece of mysterious terrain, i chose the Nekheharan Sphinx (Initiative test or take a wound. If you pass on a d3; devastatinng charge, heroic killing blow, loremaster death)

Lord
Spellweaver, level 4, Beast lore, divination orb, moonstone of the hidden ways, stone of crystal mere,

Hero
Noble, bsb, hail of doom, asyendi's bane
Noble, great eagle, amaranthine brooch , dragonhelm, Light armour, shield, Great Weapon
Spellsinger, level one, dispell scroll,
Noble, Rageth's wildfire blades, helm of the hunt, potion of strength, Light Armour, Alter Kindred, (he sucked, i took him for fun, would have preffered more bows)

Core
15 Glade Guard, FC, flaming banner
10 Glade Guard, FC
10 Glade Guard, muso, standard
10 Glade Guard, muso, standard
10 dryad,
10 dryad

Special
3 treekin
5 wardancers

Rare
5 waywatchers
eagle
eagle

Total: 2300

I wasn't planning on a report so it won't be up to standard, more a review of the games.

Game 1: Ian Sturgess' High Elves

So Ian is something of a pro at High Elves, (covering my ass immediately). His list had mounted prince +2S sword, mounted noble, star lance, bsb, lvl4 death w/ scroll, 2x14 archers, 2x5 ellyrian reavers, 10 dragon princess (has THE banner so magic immune), 3 bolt throwers, frost heart phoennix (damned frost hearts!).

Dryads on either flank, eagle noble on the left flank, alter noble and eagle on the right, screened by dryads. In the centre I have my glade guard line, treekin, wardancers and reserve eagle. Waywatchers scout up to central woods.

He has 3 bolt thrower on the backline, archers in a wood and one unshielded, reavers keep out of eagle and bow range. Prince bus and frost heart are front and centre.

I get first turn and immediately get HKB on the lvl4. I move up either flank, going for the backfield. Magic, get curse of anraheir off on the princes. nothing else happens. Shooting, i go all out on the archers, hail of doom and everything. Kill 3 from one unit 6 from the other, great . . .

He moves up, not marching. Magic, he purple suns irresistably and nothing happens. Shooting, few GG die, not much else. He's moving and firing into woods.

My turn 2, more of nothing happens but i get loremaster death on the lvl4. Tree sing a wood infront of the dragon princes. A prince dies to waywatchers and my flankers move up. Few more archers die.

Reavers charge down the hill at the eagle noble. He walks forward again, not marching. He's wood elf too so thinks i have the moonstone (he called every item I had on all my characters at the start lol) so frostheart sits infront of central wood as DP's move past. magic does 2 wounds to the eagle on the left flank. in the eagle noble combat I kill 2 he does nothing, dead draw.

My turn 3. Flankers move into range. reserve eagle chaffs the DP's and the bow line shuffles away warily. I shoot archers (with lvl4 in) down to 3 men in the unit not in the woods, (would have gone for the others to moonstone there but there was a bolt thrower in the middle, aint fitting in there :/.) Magic, he scrolls big amber spear on the phoenix. Eagle noble kills the reavers, faces the bolt thrower.

His 3. Charges 13 archers into 9 dryads, close up on the skirmishers give the bolt thrower a shot on the alter noble, brave move when out of general/bsb and not getting asf rerolls. He also charges the BSB out of the DP unit and into my 15GG bunker with lvl4 and BSB, nothing I could do as the eagle can only stand in front of the prince or the bsb, not both. His magic, He blows up the lvl4 after moving out of the 3 man archers, gets sucked into the warp. (I had 24 or so GG waiting to walk up and shoot him so hey i saved arrows). His spell does 2 wounds to Eagle Noble. Shooting, pings bolt thrower off Eagle Noble but the other kills Alter noble. 3 man archers walk up and ping off last wound on the eagle on the flank. Combat, archers do 1 wound to the dryads, dryads do 4, we stick around. BSB challenges, unit champ accepts and dies. I was in a wood, lose by 1 but stick, reform for ranks.

Dryads on the left flank charge central bolt thrower.Wardancers move for a flank on the BSB, eagle chaffs the DP's. Magic, nothing happens (nothing really happened in any game until the end). Archers shoot the last 3 archers, ping a wound on a bolt thrower i think. Combat, kill the bolt thrower and overun with the dryads. Archers Vs Dryads. he fails fear with 9 archers. gets 6 hits, 4 wounds, fail all wards . . . . I kill 4 back and break and die (seriously not surprised, they lose to horrors consistetly.) bsb holds up the bunker, i win by one, he holds. Oh and I tree sung the wood, moonstoning couldn't help since he was watching the wood. I went for steadfast.

His 4, charges Eagle with DPs. Frosty charges a GG unit takes 2 wounds to S&S but he gets in kills 4 they break he reforms to face bunker. He moves reavers and remaining archers up for shots on GG.

My 5, Wardancers charge the flank of the BSB. Eagle noble hides behind a hill. Dryads Go into another bolt thrower and kill it. rest of my points hide and treekin step up to try and look threatening if he charges the bunker with the DPs (his Dps were 4 wide to get through terrain) Magic, again I do nothing. Combat, he kills one GG I win combat and he dies. But he bought the time needed because . . . .

his 5. Charges flank of Bunker with Dps ( I had reformed to one rank so could only attack lvl4). Frosty charges wardancers for overrun into the bunker. Shooting didn't matter. frosty kills dancers and runs into bunker. It then kills my bsb and a few GG. I challenge with the Lvl4 and bounce his prince off the 3++. I'm steadfast and stick. he reforms into a line with the Dps

My 6 Go big or go home. charge rear of Dps with treekin. Magic, 6 dice vs 3. 4 dice at purple sun from lvl4 (drop the phoenix hopefully) need a 10 roll 1,1,2,3. try again with 2 dice from lvl1, don't double 6 it (should have 6 diced, but I wanted Doom and Darkness after). Combat, prince does no wounds, i hit back (i have Heroic killing blow remember) hit annnnnnnddddddd roll a 5 . . . but he fails his armour :D . Frosty goes insane and kill the GG down to 2 guys or so (like 8 die) and Dps hit the treekin in the rear for 4 wounds! (8 Dp attacks and 4 horses) I scape 2 wounds through his BotWD 2++. I lose big and he runs them down.

Close game until the end, could have gone either way but 16-4 to ian. Well played.

---------------------------------

Game 2 Vampire counts by Matt Yeo. Meeting engagement

He has blender lord lvl4 vamp lore, 2 banshee, 2 necros (one on death), double terrorgheist. 2x20 zombies, giant skelly bus, 3x5 direwolves, 2x5 bats. That's about it.

He sets up first in the usual everyone around the vamp set up, gheists up front with the bus. Waywatchers set up on the flank to hunt dogs and get in the way of vanguard. all my stuff is set up to counter the gheists. 35" away bow line with eagle noble and alter noble having clear sight lines to his landing zones.

I steal first turn on a 6. :D

the bow line moves up, reserve GG come on. Dryads on the right march up to the building to zip past his bunker and draw in the gheist screams, other unit goes for his back lines. I get loremaster death immediately lol. Magic, cast purple sun on 5 dice, drops a few inch short of the first terrorgheist. Shooting, I pincussion the closest terrorgheist for 4 wounds, sneak another on the second. waywatchers and the newly arrived GG kill off a bunch of dogs.

His turn, has to reform to get around terrain with the bus, can't move the gheists away from healing range or else they die so they move up slightly to scream at the dryads. reserve banshee comes on and jumps in the bus. Tries to heal up and I stop it. Gaze kills 2 dryads, heals 1wound on the terrorgheist. Screams kill 4 dryads.

My 2, dryads on the left catch a unit of dogs. watchers harass the other unit. Entire army shuffles about to give my counter combat units clear charge lines and get all the bows in. Right dryad unit moves up past the bus and effectively railroads it, he can only go forward where there's a building in the way. Magic, spirit leech bounces off the mr on the necro. Shooting, the 15 man GG bunker opens up and does no wounds with the flaming banner on the wounded gheist. I Fire the other 30 GG into the gheist and do 1 wound. I then fire the Hail of Doom as i'm desperate and ping 1 more wound. . . . Then i remember characters. A wizard in the wardancers with the bsb, the eagle noble, the alter noble. All three fire and hit, the beautiful buggers ping off the last wound. Waywatchers wiff in shooting, left dryads run through the dogs.

His 2, he can't move his blocks. he shuffles to set up screams on the railroading dryads. Magic he tries to heal up, rolls double 1 and i can counter the rest. screams off the dryads.

My 3, Dryads on the left charge a box of zombies at the back, waywatchers charge a lonely dog for fun. eagles move up to get ready to valiantly die for the cause under the vamps bus. Entire army shuffles about again to focus on the last geist. magic, spirit leech again and he makes his 4++s again. Shooting, i continue to pincussion the gheist for a few wounds. dryads re-murder the zombies to 2 guys left. Waywatchers fail fear and bounce off the dog who kills one lol.

His 3, bus finally reforms and moves towards my lines. Gheist at the vamp's heals like a loyal dog for healing. His chaff is running for the corner away from my bows. I scroll his invok. Waywatchers kill the dog and dryads finish the zombies.

My 4, Eagle jumps under the bus. Magic, more nothing happens, I big amber spear for a whole 1 wound on the gheist, he stopped a death spell. Shooting, just shy of 50 bows annoy the Gheist to permanent death.

His 4, has to charge the Eagle with the bus, rest of his chaff is now very interested in the corner of the boars. He raises like 19 zombies in front of my bunker unit in magic. Makes the mistake of screaming at the eagle rather than killing it so loses the chance to reform.

My 5. Second eagle steps up to the gallows of the vamp bus. Alter noble can now zoom over to the corner to find out what's so interesting about it, the dryads and waywatchers on the flank chase after the retreating VC chaff too. I then moonstone away from the zombies that were just raised, poor things. Magic, again more nothing happens. Shooting, I go for chaff where i can, theres 40 odd skellies in the bus so no point really.

His 5 charges a banshee out of the bus into a GG unit with my lvl1. Fair enough, i stopped the blender lord with the eagle. His magic, gaze kills 4-5 GG from another unit, hoping for a panic which doesn't come. Combat, the banshee puts a wound on my lvl1 and dies to standard, rank, musician. other banshee screamed off the second eagle.

My 6, alter drinks his potion for the fun and goes after a unit of dogs in the corner, determined to see what's so interesting as to lure them all over there. Everyone shuffles about a bit, not much to do tbh, death bounces off the mr again. Alter Kindred murders the dogs only to be dissapointed by the lack of features in the board's corner.

his 6, he sets out to find points, screams and gaze catch a unit of GG .

game over 11-9 to me, closer than it thought.

-------------------------------------------------------

game 3- Empire, Ed Morris (I think)

mission is watchtower, but a forest instead of tower

so he has the cav bus (+1ld banner), 4 DG (flaming banner), 5DG (steel standard), steam tank, 2x5 knights, cannon. Priest, lvl4 heavens, BSB. Yup, all that 1+.

he wins the forest, i go first. Magic, IR the curse on the knights, i'm lvl2 now. shooting waywatchers ping 2 knights of 5 and panics them. Shooting otherwise kills two IC knights in total.

his 1, marches with DG, moves the IC, tank runs up to railroading range for the eagle. paniced knights continue to flee right in front of the dryads on the flank. he blows up, on calamitous det, kills the knights fully, fails his panic and runs off with just the wizard, warrior priest and bsb. Yey!

My 2, dryads charge fleeing knights off. Alter charges other 5 knights, he flees, i redirect into DG. Obviously a daft idea but hey ho. waywatchers go for the cannon. eagle railroads the tank. everyone shuffles away from the DG, not far enough at the back of the board. Magic, scroll catches amber spear on the stank. In the Alter fight, I do 4 s7 wound and he makes all his saves and slaps the alter dead.

his 2, DG charge. one goes for 10 GG in a wood with treekin nearby, needs a 10, gets it. the other unit goes for the bunker. Needs 11, has the steel standard, rolls 5,1,1. re-rolls the ones for 5,5,4. God damn it. loses a DG to terrain though. oh and the 3 characters rally as do the 5 knights.

From there it all goes to, well, there's a lot of Empire horses around, take a guess lol. Bunker dies, GG unit dies, an overrun into treekin with flaming DG. A unit of GG panics off now lvl4 and bsb are dead. the back line folds.

long story short, my army folds and i go all out for the forest objective. 3 infantry units spaced around the outside, he can only get the 3 characters in there but rules are for banner to capture and core or special infantry, cav or monsterous cav, bsb is a banner. I tree sing the blood forest after working out he could charge the GG, kill them and then i'll have 1 infantry unit for 1 point and he'll have a banner for 1 point. Still i worked out anything but a bad roll and i'm ok (it's a blood forest). It moves 4" away but scatters 11! taking the wardancers 1" out of the woods since it went towards them. I lose 18-2 since he didn't want to finish me off. We drink and discuss how awesome Empire are.

It was 1500 points for that forest. would have swung to a 11-9 to me but oh well. the game was ridiculous for dice.

------------------------------------------------------

day 2, game 4. I drew the gutstar, awesome, i didn't want Gutstar, warriors or DoC, had to get one of them though. PLayer was James Harding, nice guy.

lvl4, gutmagic, scroll. firebelly, lvl1, hellheart. BSB 4+ 4++.
8 Ironguts, 4 mournfang w/ dragonbanner, 2 lone cats, 2 blasters, 2x3 ogres with additional hand weapons.

It's dawn attack, doesn't matter really though.

I get first turn, waywatchers after scout get in a building. Eagle noble and two eagles all move up behind the safety of a building, other dryads on the right move up to square off against 3 ogres. eagle jumps out of their sight line. Magic, not much to do so i try curse on the guts but failed. Shooting, watchers KB a cat, other cat pinged by more bows, remaining pile into the 3 screening ogres for the star doing 4 wounds.

his 1, ogres move up unabashed. Memory is a bit fuzzy here, I did drink from 11am until 11pm the day before so it's understandable. But he pushes the stuff forward as you'd expect. Magic, he tries +1T on the screening ogre unit, I dispell and he gets brainbursta or whatever the panic spell is and the 10 GG pass. Shooting, Ironblaster goes for the eagle on the right flank, misfire's can't shoot this turn or next. Other Ironblaster fires at waywatchers in building. 6 hits and they die.

My 2. Get loremaster death on lvl4. dryads, charge 3 ogres on the right. Army shuffles up, eagle jumps in front of the mournfang. Apparently they're on a sightseeing tour of horrible deaths, Prince star, blender vamp bus, Demi's, now fang. Truly team players. Eagle noble vaults the building for the ironblaster that misfired. I set up the Mournfan trap, dryads move to their flank, treekin to the front, it's overrun or be charged. Shooting violates the chaff ogre screen and wounds a mournfang once or twice as well as the gutstar. Dryads chop up his chaff bulls easily and overrun towards the misfired ironblaster.

His 2, fang charge eagle. gutstar moves up beside a building, miffed that all the wood elves parted like the red sea last turn ( 10GG bunker is behind the building out of sight everyone else is eith on the flank or nestled between fang and guts). Magic, fireball goes off and pips off a few GG. Shooting, Ironblaster that can fire, bounces off the Eagle noble's 3++. eagle is splatted by fang, they overrun but fall short of the treekin.

my 3. the Kin go into fang, dryads the flank. Eagle noble gets the misfired Ironblaster. Everyone gets back out the way of the gutstar pain train, almost as if nobody likes them. Magic, he pops the hellheart. LVl4 drops to lvl2 and loses purple sun and soulblight, damn . . . lvl1 rolls 7 i lost 1 GG and 2 dice. I don't cast anything. Shooting, That gut star got eviscerated, 2 bulls die to 25 shots, 10 of which close range. Combat, treekin and dryads beat up the stranded fang and run them down. eagle noble bonks the ironblaster but fails to catch it.

his 3. he won't catch anything with the star so pops out his characters to chase points, lvl4 goes left, bsb forward and firebelly into the building. This reinforces the opinion of the ironguts that indeed nobody likes them. he rallies the ironblaster. The other ironblaster backs off from the eagle noble and shreds an ordinary eagle going for the double but i ward the cannon again. That noble is a boss. The firebelly dropps his flame template on the 10GG bunker with characters. 2 LoS' later and I have 1 GG left and pass panic.

My 4 Alter noble drinks potion and charges the building, Eagle noble goes for ironblaster on the right flank along with the dryads on the right who get into the cannon's flank. Treekin turn to look at the slaughtermaster, dryads politely step back from the face off. Wardancers, move off and are joined by the general and bsb. the lonely GG runs off to hide his points. Shooting, ping a wound on an ironblaster, ping a wound on the slaughtermaster. Combat, Eagle noble and dryads send ironblaster off the board. Alter Noble gets 5 of 6 wounds on the firebelly but he wards 3, does no wounds back.

His 4, slaughtermaster charges treekin. BSB runs after characters, Ironguts try to find anyone to look at, definitely some abandonment issues there. Magic, gets +1S on the slaughtermaster and heals. Shooting, ha, Eagle noble swats cannonball from the air. In the treekin combat he does one wound I do 2, draw.

My5 wardancers and characters run for a wood on the right flank. Alter knowingly watches the firebelly in the building before running back at him, round 2 ding, ding, ding. Magic, nothing to cast really again. Shooting pings the Ironguts to 6 ogres and one wound on BSB. Combat, Slaughtermaster and Treekin slap each other around a bit, 1 wound each. Alter, with flaming attacks, finishes the firebelly off.

His 5 Ironguts can't move really so move up behind slaughtermaster, waiting for acknowledgement most likely. Bsb works more calories off chasing the wardancer bunker. magic is shut down, think i drop the scroll. blaster misfires. Combat, Slaughtermaster dies to treekin.

My 6, Eagle noble follows the ironblaster. Wardancer bunker sits in the wood, waiting to moonstone. The largely untouched 35 GG surround the 6 Ironguts. Treekin and dryads stand infront looking menacing. Moonstone the bunker in behind the guts an inch away. Magic gets wyssans on the treekin and roll 1 on amber spear. Shooting does 9 wounds to the guts, so three left and one on one wound.

His six, he stays put and the game ends.

17-3 to me, pleasantly surprised.

I'll update the last 2 games tomorrow, i'm tired and this is going on 4000 words.
kakwah
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Orcs & Goblins

Re: The Sheffield Slaughter Tournament

Post by kakwah »

Yeah surprisingly ogres are one of the best match ups for us (barring too many mournfang). Right up there with Vamps and Lizards

S4 shooting wrecks guts.
tomrobo23
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by tomrobo23 »

Carrying on then.

Game 5. Ogres again, John Pugh's. Mission is blood and glory.

Feeling slightly better after the last game against ogres, turns out their lack of chaff and low armour is ideal for woodies even though they're so fast.

His list.
lvl4 death, scroll. scales and fencers blades
lvl2 maw, hell heart
bsb, runemaw banner.
the gut unit 8-9
2 fang
3 maneaters, swiftstride, scout
3 ogres, additional hand weapon
3 cats
2 ironblasters

He's on the 15" line as you'd expect, front and centre with the cats being protected as they're useless here. He scouts the maneaters to look at my bunker on the centre right with the 3 bulls and 2 fang. The star is on the other side of an impassable stone in the centre, so centre left. He's looking to trap my bunker, 10GG and wardancers.
My deployment from left to right: dryads, alter kindred, eagle and eagle noble on the left behind a building for the latter three. Centre: 10GG, 10GG, 15GG (wardancers behind, eagle in front), 10GG, 3 treekin. Dryads on the right. Waywatchers scout behind his lines in the right hand corner in a wood.

He gets turn 1 and marches into charge range. Fang and 3 ogres being more conservative but maneaters fancy themselves against the treekin. Magic, he spirit leeches my lvl4 and i bounce it off my ward. Shooting, not much to do for him but he gets an angle on the eagle noble who wards it.

my 1. No charges. An eagle continues its sight seeing tour with the gutstar this time. My other eagle and noble fly behind the centre impassable to help out. I shuffle my lines, two GG on the left shuffle left. GG on the right shuffle right. Dryads on left move up towards his centre. Dryads on right move up the flank to stand infront of his cat. Waywatchers move down the right flank to get a KB shot at said cat. Magic, he dispells curse, nothing else happens. Shooting, ping off two cats one on the right, one on the left. Unload into maneaters for 3 wounds with 25GG and finish them off with Hail of doom. 10 GG ping 2 wound on the gutstar.

His 2, charges the eagle with the gutstar. Fang and 3 ogres are set up to counter any offensive moves on my right. Magic, he gets Doom and Darkness on the Bunker irresistably and rolls a 4, doesn't get sucked into the warp, an ogre dies. Shooting, Two blasters decide to ruin the other eagles day and kill it. Combat, an eagle dies, he reforms.

My 2, GG bunker get ready to teleport again, he can't see me yet so i'm doing it next turn. I get loremaster death either here or next turn (got HKB first turn). Eagle noble charges 3 ogres. The GG units on the left follow the gutstar. My right flank moves toward the fang and 3 ogres, away from the gutstar. Waywatchers move towards the centre to ping the last cat. Magic, I dispel D&D and don't cast anything, not much to do with 3 dice. Shooting, cat dies. 1 wound on the fang and an ogre or two in the star dies to 35 GG shots. Combat, Eagle noble whiffs and does no hits, stalemate.

His 3, charge the eagle noble in the flank with the fang. Gutstar stands in front of the bunker who are conveniantly sat in their free wood smirking. Magic, he goes after the D&D again,he throws 6 dice at D&D on the bunker, between a channel and divination orb i throw 8 dice and fail to dispell (he rolled bad, I rolled awful) he rolls 3 dice at the panic spell and blows up the lvl2 kills a bunch of guts, sucked into the warp and i pass my ld6 panic test. Shooting, an ironblaster misfires and spins to look at the wood in the top right corner (god damn it). Treekin ward another cannonball. Combat, I fail fear on the eagle noble and the fang and ogres do 1 wound (love the 3++), I stick after doing no wounds obviously.

My 3, I teleport to the top right corner. Everyone left behind goes to surround the gutstar. Treekin move up the right, dryads go for the 3 ogre's right flank, dryads on the left move for the fang's rear. Waywatchers stand in front of the ironblaster who had conveniantly spun to preemptively face the bunkers forest. Magic, I need that ironblaster dead, big amber spear sneaks through and does all of 2 wounds. In desperation spirit leech does all of another 1 wound, death sucks, amber spear sucks, they do nothing more than 2 wounds at a time all tournament. Shooting, 15GG bunker unloades on the ironblaster for 1 wound. 30GG take down 3 or so ogres, just lvl4, BSB and 2 ogres or so left. Combat, Eagle noble manages to remember to swing his weapon for 1 wound on the ogres, takes a wound in return and holds.

His 4, charges the waywatchers with the cannon. The remnants of the gut star march around the back of the impassable, running after the bunker in the corner now. he'll get there turn 6 if he's lucky. His magic, nothing to do. His shooting, similarly nothing to do. Combat he kills the eagle noble and reforms, he kills the waywatchers and reform to face the bunker.

My four. Dryads on the right charge the 3 ogres. Everyone follows the gutstar, treekin get out of the star's way and stand infront of the fang, left dryads run behind the fang. I reform the bunker for ranks against the blaster and move out of the woods for steadfast, wardancers stand 1" away from gutstar to stop them wheeling without coming within an inch, they can only go forward. Magic, 9 dice, 3 at spirit leech, i IF and nothing happens, lose all 6 dice and can't dispell D&D, damn. Combat, dryads beat up the ogres who get away.

His five, mournfang charge treekin, the chaff ogres rally, ironblaster on one wound charges the bunker and he survives S&S. Gutstar charge treekin to get towards the bunker but is hampered by my units getting in the way. Magic, nothing happens, shooting nothing happens. Combat, treekin die. And in the bunker vs blaster fight. Impact kills 4 GG and my bsb misses. Lvl4 hits, and rolls a 6 for HKB, awesome even if he only had one wound left.

my 5, wardancers and dryads charge the fang, right hand dryads charge the chaff ogres. The Glade guard all turn to face the 4 remaining ogres of the star. Magic, I take no risks and dispell D&D, then i 5 dice purple sun which rolls a 2 and does nothing with my remaining dice i wyssans the wardancers. Shooting though, oh shooting. I kill the slaughtermaster and the rest of the guts with 10GG to spare who put a wound on an ironblaster, he broke his fortitude. Combat, s5 wardancers in the flank and dryads in the front wipe the fang. Dryads vs chaff ogres, wipes the ogres.

his 6 nothing to do, my six, kill the bsb.

I get around 3500 points (1500 for blood and glory) 20-0 to me :D
tomrobo23
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by tomrobo23 »

Final game, battleline, Kevin Weaver's Warriors of Chaos and it's chariot spam.

His list
Chaos Lord on disc, great weapon, 1+ 3++ rerolling ones, crown of command.
BSB, exalted on deamonic steed, 1+ 3++, great weapon
throgg and a party of 8 trolls
3x5 slaanesh marauder horsemen with flails.
3 core slaanesh chariots
2 gorebeast nurgle chariots

I cry internally. But at least he has no magic.

Set up he has chariots and characters front and centre and trolls on the right, nothing subtle there but in terrain i put a buildings in the middle and an impassable in the centre too to get in the way. There's a forest in the top left and bottom left with my free one next to the sphinx back centre, that setup has been a god send all tournament.

waywatchers scout behind a building in the top left corner beside the wood and I get first turn.

My turn 1 my archers move within 30 of the horsemen. the dryads move up on the left, everyone else stays back. Magic, Curse on the trolls is dispelled with nothing left to cast. Shooting kills one unit of horsemen and 2 from another unit, the 15GG with flaming banner and 2 wizards unload on the trolls and do no wounds so there's that.

His 1. both balistic characters jump about 8" away from my bunker with nothing else in sight lines, everything runs straight forward apart from the horsemen who suddenly have the desire to run towards the top right corner again.

My 2 Get ready to teleport. Waywatchers run after the depleted horsemen and my flanking dryads and 10GG on the left move up. Central units back off or hug the central building. I'm playing conservatively obviously I teleport to the top left corner. Magic, nothing happens but i have lore of death, range means nothing to target and he dispelled amber spear. 10GG and 5 waywatchers finish the retreating slaanesh horsemen. 20GG fire into leftmost chariot and nick a wound.

His 2. Lord flies to central left, bsb runs top right. He's gonna pincer the bunker. Chariots all move left towards the bunker. Trolls move towards the centre.

My 3, Eagle noble charges the flank of the chaos lord the bunker and waywatchers move towards the back of the board to buy another turn. My army shuffles around and 10GG get in the central building. Dryads are in my free wood for steadfast and 10GG face a lone chariot on the right flank. Magic, Amber spear goes off big and does another 2 wounds to a core chariot he dispells D&D on the chaos lord. Shooting does a few more wounds to an unwounded core chariot and hail of doom finishes the speared one. Combat, noble takes a wound and lord is fine,.

His 3, bsb is looking at the bunker from the top centre he's still 20" out after crossing the board and moving around chariots. His units continue to trundle towards the bunker. Combat, I fail both 3++ wards and eagle noble dies :(

My four, bunker backs up and is 3" from the building characters abandon ship incase of a lucky charge, still well away from his entire army but one core chariots could make on a good roll. My army backs up or swings left. Magic, nothing happens i cast D&D on the lord but he dispells in his turn. Shooting brings the core chariot on the left to 2 wounds left and the right to 3 wounds left. Just got to chip away and hold out as long as possible.

His 4. His lord jumps to look at the building from left flank, his bsb is closing in on the top centre with gorebeast and wounded core chariot in the middle. Trolls are now absolute centre and core chariot on the right is now well in range of the only GG unit on the right along with the Alter and dryads.

My 5, seeing a chance I charge 10GG full command into the flank of the lord and 3 treekin into the rear. He thought I wouldn't touch him but i had a cunning plan. the bunker and all the characters get in the building in the top left. My army keeps away from the mainstay of his. magic, I get a nice roll and get D&D on the lord (didn't know he had the crown though) spirit leech snags a wound on the bsb. Shooting and I kill the core chariot on the left through hail of bowfire. Combat, my champ challenges in the 10GG treekin vs lord fight and his disc goes before the lord and kills the champ. I have D&D, charge, flank, rear, standard to his wound, i win by 4 but crown means he's stubborn six and flees! I don't catch him but he's 6" from the table edge.

his 5, bsb charges the building, throgg charges the building with his trolls, core chariot charges the GG on the right who flee and he redirects to the dryads. He fails to rally the lord thanks to D&D and flees off the board. Combat, dryads hold against the chariot, bsb kills a champ, throgg vomits the building and everyone dies there.

My 6. Not much to do but try and back off from the gorebeasts. Magic sees me roll a one on amber spear to wound the wounded gorebeast. combat and i roll awful with the dryads and fail 5 wards against his core chariot and die, he reforms to face a unit of 10GG.

His six, chariot charges the 10GG who flee through a building to safety. Gorebeast pins 10GG in combat and bsb charges the building again. I lose my lvl1 and the 10GG to chariot and bsb to end the game.

I win 12-8 by the skin of my teeth. Great game and i was on the ball there but my opponent was frustrated as hell understandably.

----------------------------------

Overall i came 34th of 96 and got best Wood Elf. Extremely happy with it and the games were all extremely hard against excellent opponents.

thanks for reading the mammoth review of my time at the Slaughter.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

wow well done!
Thanks for writing this up. You seem to be very skilled with your list and know what it can and can't do, and when to take risks and when not to.
please write up any other tournaments you attend, as I'd be most interested to see how you play (even if you don't take WE)
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Tenaka
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Tenaka »

Awesome write up - you must be shattered after writing such an epic! Great to see Woodies perform; especially against Warriors. MSU still viable after all.
tomrobo23
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by tomrobo23 »

Tenaka wrote:Awesome write up - you must be shattered after writing such an epic! Great to see Woodies perform; especially against Warriors. MSU still viable after all.
Not gonna lie, I got through most of the first section and looked at the time and wondered where hours of my time went. Then i realised I had almost 4000 words written on a tempermental laptop in a forum that i have no idea of how well the text system worked and immediately copy and pasted into MS Word. I had to finish the last two in batches the following day.

But thanks, nice to know the hours are appresiated :)
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Very nicely done. Never heard the term rail-roading, but it is now added to my warhammer vocabulary!

I especially liked how you managed to handle that chaos lord, a well deserved fate for such a nasty build. Having both lore of beasts and loremaster death for all battles seems a bit nasty though, i wish i had access to the sphinx at all times as well.

How did the divination orb work out for you? I sometimes consider taking it, but then i end up not to as i don't like having to pay for a level 1 mage with the sole purpose of carrying the scroll.
tomrobo23
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by tomrobo23 »

Well railroading is ensentially just a dirty tactic but I felt like I was continuosly up against it so I kind of got desperate and resorted to it. It's dubious with random movement units whether it's legal or not but the tourney allowed it so I made use of it when I had to (using the random move to contact a unit counts as a charge and therefore overules the 1" apart rule).

Yeah the loremaster death with lore of beasts was theoretically awesome but I didn't get to make real use of it, nor any magic really apart from the last game where it really came into its own. Honestly if the rule pack had us setting up terrain at random and my opponents had cared then they could just put the thing in the middle since I'd never end up with my characters there, i'm under no illusions I got lucky in that respect.

And for the Divination Orb and two casters this was something I'd pretty much always done in my few games leading up to the tourney. It was great in those but in the tournament itself people just didn't throw 4 dice at any spells, I wasn't running any units that would attract the apocalypse spells like dwellers so it was more about lots of little spells and it didn't get much use. I would have probably been better served dropping the lvl1 but an additional spell was nice and treesing is actually pretty good situationally as is call of the hunt or ariel's blessing if you get a lucky roll. Again I wasn't going all out and wasn't expecting that much success so I wasn't really expecting much hence the alter noble, but the wood elf characters have so much personality compared to just more glade guard. But in etc comp i'd definitely take lvl4 and lvl2 with those items, the divination orb was still well worth its points just not at the massive expense of the lvl1.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I feel rail-roading huge blocks is fine, but i agree that against random movement it's a bit shady. But then again, i often find random movement to be very cheesy especially if i am running a "mobile" army and i then face 2 doom-wheels and an a-bomb, making it almost impossible to manouvre. If people bring huge blocks, then they are asking to have their limited mobility used against them though.

I did see that your magic wasn't overly succesful, but there is also the fear factor to consider. Having both amber spear and doom-and-darkness is nifty. It was a shame that you couldnt get off purple sun against those ogres, but you managed anyway.

Again, congratulations on doing so well and especially with a non-optimal list!