Stone Hammer 2014 Tournament Report - Woodies in action.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Stone Hammer 2014 Tournament Report - Woodies in action.

Post by Aemir »

Hi everyone, this is my first report as these were my first table games with full army. Tournament happened in the city of Perm, Ural region, Russia, during 4-5 of January, 2014. There were 16 participants announced, however, only 14 managed to gather, but this is still was more than enough for newbie like me. I happened to be the one and only Woodie there. Most of people there may be called veterans, some of them playing like 10-15 years and having several armies.

Rules were close to ETC-2014 first draft, so Asrai had:
1) ASF for elves
2) all lores for casters
3) 2600 points (2400 for others except Beastmen and maybe Tombs)
4) true ward for Forest Spirits
5) every possible gear for BSB but still no kindred.
However, huge problem was limit of 2 heroes of the same kind and 3 same core units (no 5x12 glade guards ,TT).

Two of five games contained reserving units, so at least half of my units had to be mobile, and this tuned my final roster:

Spellweaver; General; Lore of Heaven; Magic Level 3; Wand of Wych Elm; Dragonbane Gem;
Treeman Ancient; Annoyance of Netlings; Cluster of Radients

Noble; Battle Standard; Great Eagle; Great Weapon; Shield; Armor of Destiny;
Noble; Great Eagle; Great Weapon; Light Armor; Shield; Dragonhelm; Amarantine Brooch;
Spellsinger; Elven Steed; Lore of Beasts; Dispell Scroll;

16 Glade Guard; Musician; Standard Bearer; Banner of the Eternal Flame
12 Glade Guard; Musician;
6 Glade Riders; Musician;

6 Treekin

Great Eagle
Great Eagle
Treeman;

Models in Army: 60
Total Army Cost: 2599.0

To be continued...
Last edited by Aemir on 06 Jan 2014, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarfs, and Salamanders

Re: Stone Hammer 2014 Tournament Report - Woodies in action.

Post by FriedTaterExplosion »

I'm excited to read this. Lore of Heavens with wood elves sounds interesting.
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

First game against Empire, and his infantry roster (check attachment picture).

He had big blocks of greatswords and halberdiers with detachments of archers and halberdiers, 2 cannons, mortar, 2 units of 10 riflemen, block of free company, Shadow Mage lvl.2, Witch Hunter (he accused my Spellweaver), Captain on pegasus (with rerollable 1+ armor save), warpriest and BSB in greatswords and lord in the halberdiers.

It seemed easy roster to me... hehe, game showed that it is not. This guy took 4th place in the end.
Scenario was finding and keeping treasures in the center of table. Taken treasure could be conquered by destroying holder unit. Every treasure cost 100 points in the end.
Well, I hid both Treemen behind central building, tried to shoot his riflemen with weak results. He advanced with everything.
His first cannon destroeyd itself, but other put 4 wounds to Treeman at the second round. I tried to hold hold his main greatsword block with 4+ 3++ Eagle Noble by attacking flank detachment and by this keeping his main block, because the way was too narrow. To my big surprise, 4 archers and 2 halberdiers took Noble down in 3 rounds of close combat while he killed only one archer( I think he made like 5 ward saves of 5++ from Warpriest bound spell). Pegasus Captain tried to engage and I defended 3++ Noble by BSB Noble which didn't make any wounds and failed both break tests with -1 modifier and killed himself. After that Captain engaged my main archer block with Spellweaver (I made mistake here and left her in the unit), and made them run away from table.
This left me nothing but to engage the Wood, and it didn't fail. Treeman, Treeman Ancient and Treekin started to reap weak Empire soldiers apart. While at the left flank two remaining units of glade guards and Eagles started crushing little units and artillery. Game stopped too early, at the end of 4th round, because both of us didn't play hastly (especially me), and we used all our limit of time (like 3 hours). I think my woodpower would crush all his 3 blocks by the 5-6 turn, looking at the results of their work, and glade guard finish all the remaining 1-2 soldiers of detachments and riflemen, but at this round I lost 6-14 because of dead General, 3 treasures in the hands of Empire, both Nobles, one unit of Glade Guards, Spellsinger, Glade Riders (they didn't have good dice against T3 opponents and failed both shooting and melee) and one Eagle. I scored 2 cannons, mortar, several detachments, Shadow mage and Warpriest (eaten by TMA). Anyway, game was fun and opponent was very merry.

P.S. Magic, I didn't have good magic phases, too little magic dice. Tried to kill Captain with Urannon Thunderbolt twice without success, cursed halberdiers to reroll all sixes (it helped A LOT to Treeman with 2 remaining wounds), all other stuff was dispelled or minor.

To be continued - next game against Dreaded Demons of Chaos with Defiler and Bloodthirster!
Attachments
DSC04116.JPG
DSC04115.JPG
Last edited by Aemir on 06 Jan 2014, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

Second game - scenario of defending ancient stones. Forces of Order had -1 modifier for attacking while Destruction had +1, so I scored '0' and became defender. The table is played along, defender can start and the half of table but half of his non-hero units are in reserve and come to game from the other short side, opposite of attacker (check attachment picture). Also defender could put 3 barricades everywhere.

My opponent had Bloodthirster (sic!), Defiler (T7 killing machine), Khorne cannon which rides and shoots fire cannonballs, 3 Juggernauts, big block of bloodletters with BSB and herald of Khorn there, little block of nurgle guys with their herald (lvl.1 Death lore). Not many but every unit is very nasty. Also this opponent was much more serious about gaming and didn't forgive me any mistakes.
For reserves I chose Great Eagles, Treekin and Glade Riders. Put Treemen behind barricades to save from cannonball.

Cannon was suitable target for Dragonhelm Noble (the one killed in melee from archers in the previous game) and he flew against it to be shot blank. It was revealed Khorne cannon can use grapeshot which isn't FLAMING but magic anyway. Bloodthirster decided it was bad idea to have TMA with netlings around and flew away to the archers with Spellweaver (to my right flank). He was welcomed by Thunderbolt and lost 2 wounds (luckily to me, he didn't get 3+ armor save from Greater Gift, Isha bless new Demons Armybook with all their random stuff). In the right flank Glade Guards had fun by shooting bloodletters (T3 guys with 6+(!) armor 5++ ward save). Treemen tried to engage anybody but Demon general decided to avoid them at all cost. At the 3rd round things changed, as he rolled 1-1 for magic winds.... Cannon goes boom! Other guys don't get hurt, but my left flank is opened and I have nurgle guys to suffer from double Strangle Roots. I make a mistake and forget to move BSB away from Juggernauts LoS, and he didn't let me move him when I started magic turn, by this I lost BSB, but won much more in the end :roll: . Thirsty gets 12 shots from the short range and starts to worry, he lost another wound. However, more serious problems do bloodletters have by having 28 shots from the short range - their ranks melt like snow in spring.
During his 4 round he hides letters behind hill, eats BSB with Juggers, charges central glade guard unit with both Thirsty and Defiler, eats them and stays to focus remaining poor glade guard and Spellweaver... I said "poor"? This was a joke, as glade guards turn and shoot Thirsty point blank and he loses 4th wound, leaving him only last one! He scores some good magic winds (rolls 6), my every unit is in danger from Slaanesh stuff. Treeman loses 4 or 5 wounds, TMA is targeted by Soulblight but saves his wood arse. This round at last I get reserves (no luck at previous turns), but only half of them. I choose Treekin and Eagle. The first ones to kill Defiler and last one to defend glade guards. TMA goes into nurglies and kill their champ in challenge.
His 5 round. Opponent desperately decides how to save Thirsty, goes there and back again near table, gets upset when I say Asrai have 30'' range longbows and no penalty from movement and decides to charge Great Eagle. His plan was to kill Great Eagle and fly away from table.. but I say "Flee" :D He doesn't catch my Eagle (who flies away from table) and has failed charge or redirect attempt.. he decides to die like a man and charges 12 Glade Guard unit which puts last arrow just between the eyes. 500-points lord is slain! Heroes don't cheer too long as behind the Thirsty goes Defiler which kills 9 of them in the first round. Bloodthirster slayers flee close to the short side of table, Defiler decides to stay and catch last remaining big unit of glade guards. Juggers want the same. Letter go up to the hill.
5th turn. Treekin go close to the hill - to charge letters or Defiler. TMA kills nurgle herald. Treeman goes to the back of letters. Glade guards go up the hill and do the serious stuff before dying - shoot letters point blank. Again with great results. Only 11 letters left and 2 heroes from the 30 block. Fleeing glade guards rally from musician. General runs from her unit to avoid Defiler charge.
6th turn. He charges big unit of Glade Guards, who fail Terror test and Defiler catches them. R.I.P., they did their job good and Juggers are blocked by Defiler and can't charge anything. Nurgle unit is almost depleted from Treeman Ancient action. At my last turn I finish Nurgles, double charge letters by Treekin in the front and Treeman (who has 2 wounds) from behind. Lose 5 wounds of Treekin and no wounds from Treeman, but slay all 11 bloodletters, 2 heralds die instantly from combat result with -8 modifier.
So all in all, he has Juggers and Defiler left, I lost 2 units of Glade Guard, both Nobles, one Eagle. Also I have 2 ancient stones and score 16-4 victory!

To be continued. Next game against nasty neighboor - Brettonia...
Attachments
100 071_новый размер.jpg
DSC04122.JPG
Electric Puha
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Electric Puha »

Good job putting the deamons in their place!
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

3rd game of the first day - Brettonian Lord and his vassals.

We had an 'oil tower' scenario - with only one central objective worth 100 points, so mostly it looked like usual frontal battle (check picture). He had train of knights with lord and 4lvl life sorc, train of knight errant with BSB, paladin on pegasus, 3 pegasus knights, big block of halberdiers with beast damsel , 2 trebuchets, 2 units of 13 archers with brazers.

His lord block was put to my left flank close to the side of table - I cheered as due to more units could place TMA and both eagles there just in front of it. The other block went to the right flank, so I hid Treeman there behind central building to charge it and keep in combat for a long-long time.... "wet dreams" we say about such plans cause this is Wohamma, not chess :lol:
Glade guard were put against archers and men-at-arms. There I regret that didn't read Brettonia armybook as his archers got soft cover from spikes :cry: His pegasus paladin (with rerollable armor save)went to the right flank, endangering glade guards and Glade riders. I put 3++ Noble against him to tarpit nasty guy. Pegasus knights made vanguard move.

Not very much to tell except for some major points:
1) with the help of great eagles bait TMA charged into Lord's block, slained him and champion and stayed there until the game's end (however, we stopped at the end of 4th turn, time limit. Probably he would finish everybody there by the end of 6 turn)
2) Treeman received oneshot from trebuchet and my right flank was complete disaster - lost glade guard and glade riders with spellsinger, but Noble killed Paladin and went to charge archers and trebuchet at the end of game.
3) Lost 2(!) treekin in the first turn from his 13 archers volley shot, then they faced men-at-arms under Wyssan and lost battle, at the end 2 or 3 of them were fleeing. Men-at-arms also ate little unit of glade guards.
4) In attempt to ride to my back Pegasus knights were charged by BSB and fleed from the table. BSB and Eagle finished trebuchet and were to attack archers by the end of game.
5) Shooting at archers proved absolutely unsuccessful - from one to two dead archers per turn. I wouldn't recommend shooting them from the long range in future games.
6) Magic was unsuccessful - trebuchet passed the 4+ test for shooting from blizzard, every other thing was minor or unsuccessful
IMHO by the end of 6th turn I would kill his both archer units, last trebuchet and main knights block with life mage, but for the end of 4th turn it was minor defeat of 9-11.

Next game against mighty Ogres...
Attachments
DSC04137.JPG
100 126_новый размер.jpg
100 099_новый размер.jpg
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

4th game - Butcher and his Ogre companions

Scenario was Meeting Engagement with one tweak - there were 4 objects placed on the table worth 100 points each.
His roster was - a Butcher 4lvl. Maw lore, Firebelly 2lvl. with Hellheart, BSB, 9 Ironguts (all that with heroes made his deathstar unit), 5 Maneaters (3 with two weapons, 2 with great weapons) with Stubborn and Immune to Psychology, 3 Mournfangs, Ironblaster, Thundertusk, 2 single sabretusks and 3 little gnoblar units.

Unfortunately, I was so embarrased that forgot to take any picture of battle still it was the same table that was with Brettonia. My corner was were Bretonnia Lord placed and his corner was where my Glade Riders started during 3rd game. So, luckily, ruins were placed in the middle of table, blocking his front passage and line of sight for artillery (check picture).

He chose sabretusks and gnoblars for reserve, I chose one Great Eagle, Treekin, Glade Riders and Treeman.

His mournfangs and deathstar went to my left flank (where I placed 2 little GG units, an Eagle and Treeman Ancient behind ruins) and thundertusk, ironblaster and maneaters went to my right flank, where I placed nothing but spellsinger. My big GG unit was on the spiky hill and Nobles went to stop monsters.

What happened next: his was the 1st turn (if not mistaken, I had 1st turn only with Brettonia due to their pray through the whole tournament), so since 3rd turn I baited Mournfangs with Eagle, Spellsinger, another Eagle, Glade Riders - only to stop their horrific advance to my main forces. Glade Guards did great job reducing Ironguts and then Maneaters, after that TMA blocked his way and he had nothing but to charge him, eating Strangle roots twice (during my turn and then by Stand and Shooting), so only 3 heroes and 2 Ironguts came into TMA. Ogres rejected challenge (since there was one model at 2nd row), but then TMA killed Irongut, during later turns killed BSB by challenge and held in challenge with Firebelly until by the 6th turn Treekin charged from behind and destroyed everyone in deathstar (only Butcher survived, broke and didn't run very well :cool: )

Couple of words about Hellheart - it destroyed the most important magic phase of mine, my Spellweaver became lvl.1 and both of casters caught wound and lost power dice.

On my right flank 3++ Noble charged Ironblaster and held it quite long (still not enough, dice rolls were terrible and he died in 3 or 4 phases), after that Ironblaster oneshot the Treeman which came from reserves. BSB took two wounds from Thundertusk shooting and flew behind Ogre deathstar, keeping that place and helping TMA to roll stubborn tests. When deathstar engaged TMA all GG units rolled and shot maneater unit, which came quite close - leaving only 5 wounds there, after that he engaged little GG unit, 3 wounds perished by stand and shooting, but then dice didn't help me at all - i had to make 2 wounds to T4 5+ model by 8 ASF (with reroll) attacks twice, but didn't make even one. GG unit was broke and he engaged another one, which didn't make any wound either and run to the edge of table. After that maneater evaded 20 shots and survived by the end of 6th turn! One running GG unit rallied. Thundertusk failed march test twice due to 3++ Noble nearby and didn't make it to my GG units, killed some with little template though, but panic test was passed. His reserves came out of table and I could provoke panic test by killing sabretusk, but all remaining GG were busy by shooting last maneater.
End of game, I killed 9 Ironguts, BSB, Firebelly, Butcher and managed to take 3 objectives. He killed both Eagles, 3++ Noble, Glade Riders, Spellsinger, Treeman, 12 Glade Guards and Asrai win by 14-6! If maneater was killed, it would be 16-4.

To be continued... final battle against Dwarves fire throng!
Attachments
DSC04142.JPG
DSC04129.JPG
DSC04133.JPG
Last edited by Aemir on 08 Jan 2014, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarfs, and Salamanders

Post by FriedTaterExplosion »

Thank you for taking the time to write these up. I enjoyed them.
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

Last game against Dawi and their artillery dominance...

Scenario was called "Magic oops!". A frontal battle where every army could get only 2xD3 Power dice per turn and no channeling or other extra Power dice from artefacts... As you could understand, I couldn't make even one single spell during whole game as my opponent had +3 Dispell dice. There were also 5 objectives worth 100 points each - 3 at the center part of table and by one at deployment zone

My opponent had Lord, BSB, Thane - everybody here with lotsa armor and great weapons, thane also had flaming attacks. Lord and BSB were held in big block of Hammerers, Thane was the boss of big block of Longbeards with great weapons (yep, 6 strength everywhere). BSB had usual 5++ banner against shooting for everybody around. Anvil, stone thrower with some rune, fire cannon and organ gun. Master engineer with 2 pistols and 2x12 block of shooters - one with guns (thunderers) and crossbows (quarrelers).

Luckily, I won part of table and gave him the part where one corner was almost completely swarmed by huge forest :sexy: . He had nothing but to take another corner with hill. In my corner there were also hill and impassable tower - very neat against dwarves. He made very strategic placement of organ gun - partly closed by hill and made entranchment (hard cover) from Master Engineer - it became close to impossible to shoot it with Glade Guards. But made a mistake placing Anvil and thunderers behind hill - very tempting target to my left flankers. Quarrelers took to my right, big blocks and organ gun in the center.

So, without hesitating I put both Treemen and 3++ Noble behind tower, all other eagles and BSB behind central hill. Glade Guards to the center (left ones to shoot thunderers, central and right ones to shoot quarrelers), Glade Riders with Spellsinger and Treekin (1x6 formation) to the right. Glade Riders made vanguard (check picture).

One advice: if you happen to fight against Dwarves, never take Eagle Noble with Amaranthine Brooch and Dragonhelm - he has no ward saves against Anvil (this makes him impossible to fly) and Stone Thrower shooting - died after 2 hits. They didn't need line of sight to do this, anyway maybe his death helped my Treemen to come into fight. Once BSB held stone from stonethrower thanks to Armor of Destiny ward save. Also Treeman made ward save from stone once. Lucky me :roll: .

Shooting was hard (even his shooting guys have T4, 5+ armor saves and 5++ ward saves), and Organ gun prevented me from coming closer so Glade Guards did almost nothing but took 3 objectives in the end. At the right flank one Eagle died from cannon, but another came into fight with Master Engineer (he blocked cannon) and unfortunately wound him only once from mine 4 attacks and 2 stomps (T4 5+ target), then died from Lord's block counter-charge. 3 Glade Riders (another 3 were shot in the 1st turn) charged into flank of quarrelers, broke and got them! (the only case where Glade Riders gave me some points through whole tournament), unfortunately getting this action made them end in the Lord's block... Spellsinger left after 1st turn and took 3rd objective.

As cannon was saved, I didn't risk to come close to the right flank (getting fire grapeshot isn't fun), but BSB tried and failed charging Master Engineer distance at 6th turn.. Nevertheless, Glade Guards helped and finished Master Engineer by shooting.

The most successful was left flank where both Treeman ate thunderers, then TMA run through them into Anvil, was counter-charged by Thane's block and ate champion with overkill. At my 6th turn I flank-charge his block with Treeman. TMA kills Thane in challenge and Treeman kills 4 longbeards. This gives me 8 combat result while Dwarves have only 3 for 2 extra rows and standard. Unfortunately to him, he breaks steadfast test (too far from BSB) and runs away from table! 16-4 win of Asrai versus ancient Dawi enemy ! If not that epic break, I'd win like 13-7 due to dead Quarrelers, Thunderers, Master Engineer, Thane and 4 objectives while he scored 2 dead Eagles, Glade Riders and 3++ Noble.

With 61 point I take 5th place out of 14 participants!

6th place - 58 points Ogres (my 4th game)
5th place - 61 Asrai
4th place - 64 Empire (my 1st game)
3rd place - 73 Ogres (lost to number #2 and #3 in finals, that's why didn't become true winner)
2nd place - 70 Daemons of Chaos (Nurgle-Slaanesh)
1st place - 70 Vampires (in the finals he won number #1 and #2 and became true winner)

To be continued... afterthoughts.
Attachments
DSC04146.JPG
DSC04145.JPG
Last edited by Aemir on 08 Jan 2014, 16:13, edited 6 times in total.
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

That last game doesn't even sound right man! haha Thats just mean...
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Nice job!
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

Very nice reports, thnx!

Can you post pictures of your TK, TM and TMA? They seem interesting models.
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

Yes, sure. Check my plog.
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

The end. Afterthoughts.

Asrai need to play 6 turns, because from 1 till 3rd turn we only weaken enemy forces and tend to gain points during 4-6 turns. So you don't have time to think or measure much. PLAY FAST, THINK FASTER! If I could finish games (5 and 6 turns) with Empire and Brettonia, imho I'd totally erase Empire forces and tie with Brettonia.

Our main problem are mobile enemy heroes, monster cavalry and mobile high toughness (6+) monsters with armor who need to be diverted, tanked or killed somehow.

MVP:
1) Treeman Ancient! This beast didn't die at all and killed lotsav enemy heroes, lords and blocks. Don't leave home without it.
2) Treeman and Treekin. Very stable, though Treeman was killed twice per oneshot.
3) Eagles, these guys are golden.
4) Eagle BSB - sometimes his mobility and attacking abilities were very useful. However, I'll change Armor of Destiny to Talisman of Preservation and Charmed Shield (to save against artillery).

Average valuability:
1) Glade Guards. Helped a lot against Ogres and Daemons, though tended to be almost useless against Dwarves and Brettonia.
2) Eagle Noble with Amaranthine Brooch and Dragonhelm - though being useful as tank, he didn't keep good dice rolls. It means I need to paint him better than he is now, cause some pro said "Good painted armies play better" and this was approved 100% during tournament :D

Failures:
1) Heaven Spellweaver; 3rd level is about nothing. Take 4th or don't take him/her at all. Urannon Thunderbolt is weaker than Amber Spear because sometimes S6 is not enough... we desperately need S10 and D6 wounds. Hex and buffs were useful however there is Curse of Anraheir and Wyssan... WoWE failed me only once when it was needed, however enemies didn't use little number of power dices where WoWE is useful most (Tomb Kings, Vampires, Shadow Lore).
2) Spellsinger - didn't play at all
3) Glade Riders - those guys are too expensive and only killed 12 quarellers by chance. At other games they just died without breaking enemy.

We need more cheap divertion units, and the second best after Eagles are Branchwraiths. So If I could enter this tournament again, I'd take such roster:

Spellweaver; General; Lore of Beasts; Magic Level 4; Dispell Scroll;
Treeman Ancient; Annoyance of Netlings; Cluster of Radients

Noble; Battle Standard; Great Eagle; Light Armor; Great Weapon; Talisman of Preservation; Charmed Shield;
Noble; Great Eagle; Great Weapon; Light Armor; Shield; Dragonhelm; Amarantine Brooch; Potion of Foolhardiness;
Branchwraith;
Branchwraith;

16 Glade Guard; Musician; Standard Bearer; Banner of the Eternal Flame
12 Dryads;

6 Treekin

Great Eagle
Great Eagle
Treeman;

Total: 2598 points.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Alternative diverter: noble on a steed.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

Aemir wrote:Afterthoughts.
Spellweaver - I think Shadow Lore is even better, have you tried it?
Spellsinger - What about lvl 2 Life? The Lifebloom will be very good to keep your multiple-wounds models alive. Or maybe lvl 1 Metal to kill 1+/2+ AS cavalry?
GG and Dryads - I would play 20 GG + 8 D instead of 16 GG + 12 D. GG with Shadow hexes are awesome.
Branchwraith - She is quite cheap and useful, but I would play just 1 (when you will play Shadow, not Beasts).
TMA - Why not as your general? Ld9 stubborn, 18" bubble? Or you play him aggressively, that you are afraid of loosing him (but you have not lost him)?
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Even though 18 " bubble is huge He might keep his mage with his archers thus keeping the leadership over there? Just a guess... and by the way this army list with these battles have really opened my eyes for making my own list! Thanks so much for these posts!
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

Without doubt, Metal and Shadow are much more cool and useful but out of Asrai lore and it won't be polite to use those lores in order to make power roster :) Such players are called sportsmen or power abusers. Relationships are much more important ))
Death and Fire goes into that list too.

Speaking of Life lore, its radius is quite small and Treemen don't usually need healing or Treekin too if you put them into right target.

General Spellweaver - what hutobega said, Treemen are stubborn and Treekin immune to Panic while GG need some Leadership love :wink:
Halando
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Halando »

Did you consider Lore of Light?
Low casting values, good augments both for protection and for attacks. Stong MMs.
Halando
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Halando »

Did you consider Lore of Light?
Low casting values, good augments both for protection and for attacks. Strong MMs.
Aemir
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Aemir »

Halando wrote:Did you consider Lore of Light?
Low casting values, good augments both for protection and for attacks. Stong MMs.
Yes, I did. Quite doubtful spells #2,3,4 - no problems to Asrai with leadership and weapon skill to buff Light of Battle, lotsav different tasty targets for cannons - you can't save them all by Pha, and D6 S4 strength hits from Net of Amyntok are not even funny. Signature is good, but won't help against main problem - heavy armored Monster Cavalry - be it usual units or heroes. Banishment needs Spellweaver and 2 Spellsingers for Light Council roster (whom you will need to use as diverters) - quite expensive in points. Birona is cool but that range of 12''... nobody will give you running near Treemen and Treekin just like that.

It really suits Empire army - with cheap magic casters and their cannons to erase armored targets.
Electric Puha
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Electric Puha »

Cheers for the battle reports. Interesting to read.

Regarding metal. The Asrai do have metal weapons etc and the only way other than magic to work metal involves mining for coal or burning lots of wood which seems even more out of character :D
Halando
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Halando »

Aemir wrote:
Halando wrote:Did you consider Lore of Light?
Yes, I did. Quite doubtful spells #2,3,4 - no problems to Asrai with leadership and weapon skill to buff Light of Battle, lotsav different tasty targets for cannons - you can't save them all by Pha, and D6 S4 strength hits from Net of Amyntok are not even funny. Signature is good, but won't help against main problem - heavy armored Monster Cavalry - be it usual units or heroes. Banishment needs Spellweaver and 2 Spellsingers for Light Council roster (whom you will need to use as diverters) - quite expensive in points. Birona is cool but that range of 12''... nobody will give you running near Treemen and Treekin just like that.

It really suits Empire army - with cheap magic casters and their cannons to erase armored targets.
I disagree.
The signature can be strengthened to S6, the equal of Urannon's Thunderbolt. Except that it is 2d6 hits vs Daemon Princes.
Pha's protection can be good for a TM against artillery armies. Also it can be cast to protect multiple units around the caster.
Speed of Light (WS&I 10). Vs WS10 most of our opponents hit only on 5+ (WS4 and lower) and we hit on 3+. I10 means no re-rolls from ASF against our forest spirits. Can be again cast on every unit around caster.
Light of Battle. I would switch it for signature. Though sometimes can be useful when one uses the double flee tactic to delay the enemy.
Net of Amyntok. Who cares about d6 S4 hits? The biggest advantage is to incapacitate a fast but low strength unit and to interfere with the enemy's magic and shooting phase. Apart from WoC and Vampires, most of the wizards out there have only strength 3. Meaning they can't cast anything on a 4+. Same stands for shooting units.
Banishment. Though Light Coven is strong, this spell is good in itself also. 2d6 hits, forced re-roll on wards. 3d6 vs daemons and undeads. Not that bad I think. Some of the enemy troops out there have only ward save to protect them. Not necessarily an armour piercing bullet.
Birona's Timewarp. Cheap to cast on a 12+. Though can be good for offence also (imagine Treekins charging 10"+2d6, making 4A each, with re-rolls to hit against a lot of enemies) , but also could be used to save the caster and her unit (M10, M20 march move).

p.s.: I forgot in my previous post to mention, but would also like to thank your battle riports. It was well done!
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

Aemir wrote:Without doubt, Metal and Shadow are much more cool and useful but out of Asrai lore and it won't be polite to use those lores in order to make power roster :) Such players are called sportsmen or power abusers. Relationships are much more important ))
:D
Will not be polite, why? Are all the Chaos players polite, when they bring super-nasty characters or Skullcrashers? I thought you wanted to improve your list, not deliberately weaken it :p
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

Electric Puha wrote: Regarding metal. The Asrai do have metal weapons etc and the only way other than magic to work metal involves mining for coal or burning lots of wood which seems even more out of character :D
:thumbsup: :D