ETC 2014 - Eternal Shadow Guard versus Skaven

Moderator: Council of Elders

Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

ETC 2014 - Eternal Shadow Guard versus Skaven

Post by Mollesvinet »

My list can be found in the introduction thread: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25736

This battle was against a friend of mine who haven’t been playing for some weeks now, however he did try to tailor his list a bit against my wood elves as I have beat him on several occasions in the past.

Grey seer – power scroll, probably skalm
Warlord on bonebreaker – fellblade
Chieftain – BSB, stormbanner
Warlock engineer – dispel scroll
Rat-dart
Rat-dart
Rat-dart
60 slaves
60 slaves
20 clan rats – gatling gun
40-50 storm vermin – banner of eternal flame, warp-fire thrower
Hell-pit abomination
Doomwheel
Doomwheel
5 gutter runners – poison and slings

His Spells:
Grey Seer: Skitterleap, Howling Warpgale, Scorch and Dreaded 13th
Warlock Engineer: Warp lightning andDeath Frenzy
My spells:
Spellweaver: Miasma, The Enfeebling Foe, The Withering and Okkam’s Mindrazor
Spellsinger: Searing Doom

Deployement
The hills, the fence and the building are all ordinary, so is my forest. The ruins are arcane ruins, the white thing next to the ruins is the wyrding well. On the top is a mist covered swamp, but no one ever enters it.
For some reason I thought his abomination was a doomwheel, so my flaming glade guard are not well deployed. I am generally very afraid of the dreaded 13th, so I deploy my big glade guard unit so that he can’t cast it on them on the first turn. I then remember that I get a look-out-sir against it in ETC, so I end up placing my spellweaver in the little glade guard unit since I want my bsb near EG and treemen and my metal mage near his doomwheels. His doomwheels both go on the right flank, which is quite a relief to me. He gets the first turn. 

Skaven Turn 1
Everything marches forward. Surprisingly the doomwheels both goes for the wild riders and dryads, at least that’s one less thing to worry about. The warlord joins the slaves (rule error here). He gets a huge 11 dice magic phase, and starts out casting death frenzy on the storm vermin. He gets irresistible force and loses both mage levels on his warlock engineer. I let howling warpgale go, as I don’t have many targets for shooting at this point. I dispel scorch and he fails casting dreaded 13th on the eternal guard. He fries three giant rats with his doomwheel and they flee off the map. He declares that his warlord has the fellblade, and proceeds to roll a 2 to take a wound. 

Wood Elves Turn 1
Treeman 1 moves to the other side of the eternal guard, wanting to get away from his warlord! GG2 moves away from the abomination but most other things moves forward a bit. Eagle noble crawls forward a bit, I am hoping to get into his clan rat command bunker. The wild riders move backwards so that the doomwheel can only hit dryads with its lightning attack. I get a pathetic magic phase, but I do manage to miasma the movement of the slaves with the warlord. In the shooting phase he saves all of the damage to his ratling gun, but I do take off his warpflame thrower. 

Skaven Turn 2
The warlock engineer leaves the slaves, and everything else than the ratling gun moves forward at full speed. The stormvermin drink from the wyrding well and becomes unbreakable! The slaves also try, but they just puke. During the magic phase I dispel howling warpgale and he fails casting dreaded 13th. In the shooting phase his ratling gun shoots 8 times at my eagle noble, hits with 5 and does 2 wounds. I fail armor and they are magical attacks, so no ward here. Doomwheel 1 misfires and does a wound to itself, plus it loses a dice on its random movement but we forget about that. Doomwheel 2 kills 2 dryads. 

Wood Elves Turn 2
Almost everything charges at this point. The eagle blocks off the warlords unit and GG1 does its best to get into range of the abomination. I get another terrible magic phase, and I think I try for mindrazor but it fails by a large amount. I unleash flaming arrows against the abomination, and manage to roll 2 sixes to wound. Along with the hail of doom arrow and GG2, the abomination is taken out of business. The wild riders and dryads break the doomwheel, and both pursue off the board. His champion challenges my eagle noble who cut him to pieces, I still lose by 1 but I pass the break test. Here it was a mistake of my opponent to keep champion, bsb and grey seer next to each other. I beat up a bunch of stormvermin, they can only hit on 5’s due to the dawnspear so they don’t do a lot of damage back. However they manage a single wound on treeman 1 and it turns out they have the flaming banner. Uh-oh. 

Skaven Turn 3
The warlord’s unit charges the eagle and the left rat dart charges GG1 but panics from stand and shoots. The remaining doomwheel moves over to prepare a welcome party for my reinforcements. The second slave unit moves forward, but fails their march test. At this point I have to make sure I can stop skitterleap, so I let him have scorch on my small unit of glade guard. I pass my panic test. I dispel skiterleap with dice. He then choose to cast dreaded 13th on the big glade guard unit which surprised me, he uses his power scroll but I use my dispel scroll. In combat his bsb challenges and I cut him down. The warlord kills the eagle easily and reforms to face the other combats. The stormvermin manage to kill the treeman even though they need 5’s to hit, 6’s to wound and I have a 4+ armor save and a 5++ ward. Incredible. Whoever wins combat, we all stick around. He wins the roll to reform first, and somehow we end up with a lot of storm vermin facing the last treeman. His warlord does another wound to himself. 

Wood Elves Turn 3
I reform the big unit of glade guard so that my spellweaver can jump into it. The dryads and the wild riders split up to confuse the doomwheel, the riders hide in the forest. This time I get a decent magic phase, I get off the withering on his stormvermin and reduce them to 1 toughness. I think I also miasma their WS, but maybe I failed it. Long story short, I kill a bucket load of stormvermin and only 3 remains. At this point I should probably have reformed to face the incoming warlord, but I don’t. The eagle noble manages to do all 3 wounds to the grey seer, though he did need the help of his eagle to do so. I also shot off the ratling gun at this point. 

Skaven Turn 4
Warlord charges eternal guard, doomwheel charges dryads. Gutter runners come on and try to do a pincer maneuver on the big glade guard unit with the help of the slaves. His doomwheel destroys the dryads. My eagle noble dies at this point to the clan rats, but he already did his job so it’s okay. The warlord slays some eternal guard, but the slaves only hit on 5’s and don’t kill so many. The warlord challenges my highborn, and I shamefully decline. The eternal guard manages to do a wound to the warlord. The stormvermin are destroyed and I reform the eternal guard to face the slaves, keeping my highborn out of contact with the warlord. The treeman reforms to face the slaves.  

Wood Elves Turn 4
The treeman charges the slaves who flee in terror and are caught, the treeman then reforms to face the big combat. Wild riders run as far away from the doomwheel as they can. Glade guards reform and shoot off the gutter runners. I try to cast mindrazor on the eternal guard, but only roll 9 with 4 dice. I decide to go for the reroll, needing a 5+ but I roll less. My eternal guard champion ends up being butchered in a challenge, and I do some wounds to the slaves but it hardly matters.

Skaven Turn 5
Clan rats charge in and the doomwheel moves after the wild riders. Doomwheel pass its dangerous terrain and zap a few wild riders. In combat my highborn has to decline another challenge, but the eternal guard manages to put another wound on the warlord. 

Wood Elves Turn 5
I wonder if I should march the treeman away or charge with him, as he needs to get away from the doomwheel. To charge I need to roll 8 or more, to march I need to roll 8 or less… I decide to charge and I make it into the clan rats. I also block the doomwheel with wild riders, as there is a slim chance that it will make it into the GG1. I cast miasma on the warlord’s units reducing everything by two, but mindrazor fails and I also fail searing doom on the doomwheel. The doomwheel also ignores my attempt at shooting it. In combat I have to decline another challenge, this is the last time I can do so as the eternal guards numbers are dwindling. However the eternal guard put the last wound on the warlord and the treeman stomps a health amount of clan rats. In the end I have 3 eternal guard and my highborn with one or two wounds left, but then the slaves break! The slave explosion destroys the last 3 eternal guard and the rest of the clan rats. 

Skaven Turn 6
He charges his doomwheel into my wild riders and it overruns off the map. The lone warlock engineer continues his attempt to escape the battle alive and his rat dart moves a bit, but he knows it is doomed. 

Wood Elves Turn 6
The bsb leaves the unit to get a shot at the warlock engineer, the highborn also turns to face the same target. I shoot the rat dart but fail to kill the warlock engineer.

Committing both of his doomwheels to a unit of dryads and a unit of wild riders were a mistake, they would have been more helpful going after the treemen and the big unit of glade guard. In the second turn he had too much faith to get off howling warpgale, and wanted to save the stormbanner for next turn. This proved fatal. I can’t believe I lost the treeman, it was against all odds. It was funny to see the fellblade in use, even though I did a good job at avoiding it with my big guys. All in all we had a very nice game and luckily he will be able to play more these weeks due to holidays. In the end I won 18-2.