2500 Vs Dark Elves

Moderator: Council of Elders

Kojibear
Master Greeter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Space Marines - Orginal Chapter, Cryx, The Viktorias (Malifaux), Elves (Cutlass)

2500 Vs Dark Elves

Post by Kojibear »

Hi guys :)

Played my first game against the new dark elves.

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, the Dark Elf player decided not to bring his Witch Elves. They must have been too busy sacrificing some poor souls.

The list I used was:

Eagle Highborn - Nettlings, Stone of Rebirth, Dragon Helm, Potion of Toughness GW, LA, SH
Eagle Highborn - Murder of Spites, Armour of Destiny, Fimbulwinter Shard, GW, LA, SH
Spell Singer with Dispel Scroll
Spell Singer with Feedback Scroll

14 Glade Guard
16 Glade Guard
20 Glade Guard

15 Wardancers

8 Dryads
8 Dryads
8 Dryads

1 Treeman
1 Great Eagle

The Dark Elf Player had (from what I remember. I may have missed something :confused: ):

Lv4 Sorceress
Lv 2 Sorceress
Lord on Pegasus
BSB

20 Dark Shards
30 Corsairs (or about that number) with BSB
10 Cold One Riders with Flaming Banner
6 Dark Riders? maybe more
10 Shades
5 Warlocks
1 Hyrda

What I learned from this battle:

1.) Eagle Highborn are very good when kitted out defensively. They are able to weather the ASF and then put the hurt on small units and cavalry units when striking back with their great weapon. I used Murder of Spites for some fun and had a blast with the little gremlins ;) The poison is a nice surprise for the enemy.

2.) If you have a feedback scroll, use it as soon as possible. It is tempting to wait until the enemy throws six dice hoping for a miscast and then use it, but the problem is that they enemy wizard usually gets the miscast :tear: Yep, I think it is overpriced, but if I had used it better, such as on the level 2 earlier in the game, I would have had more success with it.

3.) Doom Bolt is...NASTY! 2d6 St 5 hits. This can bolstered to 4d6 St5 hits. Yes the casting cost is high, but it is worth every power dice the enemy has. Oh, did I mention it is the signature spell. So, in this game, the Lv2 and the Warlocks had it. Which brings me to the Warlocks.

4.) Warlocks. Two attacks a piece, strength 4, posion if I remember?, and can cast Doom Bolt in the magic phase. The real gem with them is that if they miscast they don't roll on the miscast table, instead taking D3 auto wounds to the unit. Again the casting cost of the Doom Bolt is high at 12, but if they have a good magic phase it can be nasty...which one of my highborn lords discovered. In hindsight my target prioritizing was pretty awful this game. I think I went into the game a bit nervous/anxious about what t expect an it affected my generalship. Knowing their threat now, I would have focused on getting rid of the warlock unit.

5.) I still hate Shades up my rear. :wink: So many shots and attacks. Thank Iisha that they have -1 BS for the repeating shots.

6.) I tried a tactic that would have worked much better with a bit more luck. I placed the Dryad units behind my Glade Guard. Put the units at the edge of a forest and moved and tree sung forward with both to get in ST4 shooting range and then when the Glade Guard were charged, chose to flee and let the enemy hit the Dryads. This risky plan would have worked brilliantly if I had have had a BSB, as I rolled an eleven to rally the next round and then ran off the board. :roll: Silly me. The Dryads did hold up the enemy nicely, being stubborn in the forest.

7.) Treeman really should not have gone up against the Cold Ones. What in the world was I thinking :crazy:

8.) Hyrda are no longer the threat they once were. The new regen rule for them, means that a good round of shooting will take them down. I used an Eagle to bait the Hryda forward into ST4 range. I did not , the other player did not, and the Eagle did not expect the Hydra to roll 14 inches for its charge. The result, the hydra ate kentucky Eagle and ended up 1 and a half inches away from my Glade Guard. Stuck the greedy monster full of St4 arrows next round :smirk: .

9.) Almost had a great victory when one of my Highborn Eagle riders won combat in the flank of his Sorceress's Dark Shard Bunker and made them flee. How in all the world did they manage to get away? Oh yeah, they rolled an 11! LOL I love Warhammer Fantasy, so epic! Disappointing but there was humor in it :D

10.) I think perhaps my opponent made an error at one point, maybe my fellow Asrai might be able to confirm this. At a very crucial point in the game, the Dark Elf player cast a spell, Shadow or Dark, that reduced all my units within 24 inches by -1 strength and toughness. What spell is that? I had a quick look, but cannot find a spell that affects both strength and toughness. Is there such a spell, or was my opponent in error?

11.) Actually the Dark Elf player forgot this the whole game, I as well, but here is the Dark Elf Magic Lore attribute:
Lore of Dark Magic

Attribute, when a spell (direct damage, hex or magic missile) is successfully cast with a double in the casting roll the target unit suffers an additional 2d6 S1 armour piercing hits. If a triple is rolled then 3d6 hits are generated.

12.) Oh, and murderous prowess...grr...very annoying! :mad: ;) ;)

Well, all in all a fun game and I hope I have given you all some useful info for your next battle against our Dark Cousins.
kakwah
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Orcs & Goblins

Re: 2500 Vs Dark Elves

Post by kakwah »

Yeah warlocks are probably the highlight for me from the Dark Elf Book.

I am secretly hoping that we get something similar, as a dual kit with wild riders (priests of kurnous or something) with bound dwellers and regrowth. That would be boss.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

Warlocks are amazing. Frankly I find 4+ ward saves on non-character units a bit much, but when it allows them to chuck a million dice at doombolt and then just ward save all the damage.......yeah that's borderline OP. ESP when you add the speed and not total muppets in combat either.
Compare them to glade riders (actually more expensive) and cry.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
waywatcher*kenobi
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarves

Post by waywatcher*kenobi »

Kojibear wrote:
10.) I think perhaps my opponent made an error at one point, maybe my fellow Asrai might be able to confirm this. At a very crucial point in the game, the Dark Elf player cast a spell, Shadow or Dark, that reduced all my units within 24 inches by -1 strength and toughness. What spell is that? I had a quick look, but cannot find a spell that affects both strength and toughness. Is there such a spell, or was my opponent in error?
Spell #3 from Lore of Death does this, he must have cast on 18+. I had no idea this was out there...I won't quote the whole spell for fear of copyright laws :paranoid:
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
LandonElf
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by LandonElf »

Cool list. I'm glad somebody else is using murder of spites besides me. I use it on a treeman Ancient to help knock down soft units quicker, and it has even helped out in challenges too! The poison attack are great vs high toughness characters/monsters with mediocre armor saves.
Coldpsyker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Coldpsyker »

Re:
#9 also epic (although less so for me) when a kitted out dwarf lord on foot manages to outrun an eagle noble because the rest of his unit evaporated. When your opponent rolls boxcars, it cant really be helped.