Campaign Report vs. Skaven - Final Game

Moderator: Council of Elders

irishfarmer
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: WE,Ogres

Re: Campaign Report vs. Skaven

Post by irishfarmer »

I STILL think that given the challenges our army presents its fair to consider this a draw!! Really great battle report, and I am glad to see that I am not the only one the forgets to move models during the course of my turns. :p
Track those crazy rumors and their rumor mongers!!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 48304.page
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Right, ok. so we played game 2; It was a slightly odd scenario and I'm not sure how well it will lend itself to a battle report (might not be that easy to follow), but as I need to include it if I'm doing all the games in the campaign, I'll give it a try.

As I lost the opening scenario, my defeated army falls back into it's homeland to defend it against the victorious invaders. Both players secretly select the strategy they wish to follow. Gareth chooses from Pursuit, Harry, Rest, Reinforce or Consolidate (he opts for Harry) and I choose from Last Stand, Fall Back, Counterstrike, Guerrilla War or Reinforce ( I choose Guerrilla War). Consulting the campaign matrix this givers us the Guerilla War scenario.

This is a scenario unique to the campaign pack. Both players must pick between 25 and 50 models from their army roster. The models must come from the Core, Special and Rare section, and may include one Champion or Hero (not the General or the ASB) to lead the force. The total of all the models may not exceed 500pts. Basically in the coming game, each model will be treated as an individual unit, the game will be fought on a very terrain dense table with a road running down the middle and the first player to kill 50% of the opponents models will win.

So, while we think about this we set up the terrain, happily Gareth has an excellent terrain collection

I will take the right side, and Gareth the left. I'm torn between two possible lists (You can find my army roster on the first post of the thread).

Either -

20x Glade Guard
8x Dryads
The Alter Noble comes in at 29 models/490pts

or

18x Glade Guard
5x Dryads
The Alter Noble
1 x Treekin comes in at 25 models/495 pts

Eventually I settle on the second list, as I think I will benefit from having a hard model like the Treekin in my list.

Gareth comes up with the following (again his roster is on the first page)

The Chieftain
18x Stormvermin
21x Clan Rats
8x Gutter Runners
The Doomwheel comes in at 49 models/499.5 pts

I win the roll of to become the attacker (Clearly I have lured the invaders into a well placed ambush), which gives Gareth the 'Local Scouts' strategem. This means he rolls for all the mysterious terrain at teh start of the games, and he gets to record what they, but keeps it secret from me (this is the 3 woods, the 2 ponds, the well in the centre of the table and the ruins in the south-east corner.

I come up with a basic plan of action. Initially the biggest threat will be the Gutter Runners with their poisoned slings, and the skirmish rule allowing them to march and shoot. So I plan to shoot them down first, then focus on shooting down as many clanrats and storm vermin as I can while keeping as far away from the Doomwheel as possible. The only realistic chance I have of hurting the Doomwheel is with the Alter Noble, but even that relies on him surviving it's D3 strenght 6 grind attacks which will hit him first, even if he's charged.

As the campaign packs rules are vague at best (no indication of how to deploy, or who goes first), Gareth suggests we use rules for a similar scenario from GW's Regiments of Renown ruleset. This clarifies things a little, each model has a 360 degree line of site and chareg arc, scouts, infiltrators etc don't get to use their special rules. The deployment zone is 16" in from the long edge, and to my disappointment the attacker must deploy first. This was a disappointment, as I had intended to deploy the vast majority of my stuff as far away from the Doomwheel as possible. Nevermind, as the attacker I should get the first turn. Gareth then reveals that the rules say that if he rolls a 6 he gets to go first. He promptly rolls a 6 and takes the first turn. So, even though I won the roll to be the attacker, I ended up deploying my entire force first, and I go second <.< <.< What a stupid scenario. (maybe my well placed ambush is actually the Skaven luring me into a well placed trap....)

Deployment

It's a plague of stupid rat-men :(
Last edited by Monkey on 21 Nov 2013, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Skaven Turn 1

So, Gareth goes first. Most of his models move up into cover at his side of the road, many take cover behind the walls and fences on the western side of the road (the wood is revealed to be a normal wood). A few rats venture into the centre of the road. The Doomwheel quickly moves towards the tower which is shielding a lot of my guys, sadly managing to restrain it's shooting as it does. At the north edge of the board, the gutter runners flit from cover to cover, taking a few shots at some of my archers, but fortunately they all miss (need, 6, 7 and 8s to hit). The well at the centre of the table is revealed to be a sorcerous portal, which conveniently casts speed of light onto one of my Dryads.

Situation at the end of the Skaven movement

A few brave rats venture into the road

Gutter Runners slink forward

So, no casualties for either side, it's time to start shooting these rats down (and causing loads of failed panic tests!), Right? How difficult can it be?

Well, that's all I can do at the moment, so you'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out. As always very interested in other peoples opinions and feedback. Did I choose the right models, would you have chosen something else? Should I have left the Alter behind and taken 12 more Archers, or would that just have been dull all round?
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Campaign Report vs. Skaven - Game 2

Post by Sidewinder »

Let's see if I got this correct. You were pushed back into your home turf and resorted to guerilla tactics yet the invading army knows every detail of the surrounding area (mysterious terrain to you, not to him), knows the location and specifics of all your troops (you deploy first), and gets a sneak attack (he goes first).
I do so hope that you had won this game.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Yes, that's the gist of it. I can only assume that the cunning Skaven have lured me into a very cunning trap. Also forgot to mention, in the first game I took a stratagem that would enable me to take an additional unit in the next game. I had rolled for this and got a 2, which gave me an extra unit of 100pts. I went for a unit of 5 wardancers with a musician. But I did all of this before we rolled for the scenario etc. As the scenario would have effectively wasted this stratagem, Gareth let me carry the bonus over to the last game.

Ok, sorry for the delay with this, here we go with turn two.

I declare charges with the two Dryads by the central well on nearby Stormvermin. The targets of the Dryad with Speed of Light cast on her, both flee, and thanks to an impressive flee roll, I can't catch a rat even with my double movement. The target of the other Dryad holds, but she also fails that charge. Else where I try to move away from the Doomwheel, but don't march as I still want to shoot. Other stuff shuffles around, trying to be able to make a shot, but without being too exposed, especially at the north edge of the board. I completely forget to move my models hidden behind the northern wood (Couple of Glade Guard, a Dryad and the Treekin).. The South eastern wood is revealed to be a Fungus Forest.

Positions after my movement - not much has changed.

In the magic phases the central well launches out a fireball with takes out a Dryad, and then I swing my most excellent plan into action. Unfortunately it's not that simple. At the north edge of the board, thanks to some lucky dodge rolls, I am only able to down the Gutter Runner in the middle of the Road. In the centre and the south of the table all the remaining Glade Guard and the Noble manage to shoot down 3 Stormvermin (one of whom was one of the fleeing ones), causing 4 Clanrats and 2 more Stormvermin to panic.

Centre of the board after my shooting, models marked with a white dice are fleeing

So, not a great start (I really wanted to get the first turn :( ) but at least I am off the mark
Casualties - Skaven = 4 : Wood Elves = 1
Last edited by Monkey on 25 Nov 2013, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Skaven Turn 2

From this point on the spells cast by the well at the centre of the board had no effect upon the game, so I shall probably not mention it again. Gareth opts not to declare any charges. The Doomwheel rolls a 12 parking itself right in front of the tower, and very close to a lot of my guys :eek:
More happily 3 Clanrats and a Stormvermin flee of the board, 3 Clanrats and 3 Stormvermin rally and 1 Stormvermin continues to flee. At the southern edge of the board Clanrats scrabble to get clear of the Doomwheel, in the centre the Stromvermin pile over the walls and fences into the road, and in the north Gutter Runners continue their sneaky advance.

The fuzzy tide....

Around the well

Lookout.... :eek:

The Doomwheel then misfires, looses control and the random movement suggests it will hit the tower. We aren't entirely sure how to play this, as we don't really know how the Doomwheel's out of control rules interact with it being treated as a chariot which can't enter a tower. In the end we settle for it hits the tower, takes a Dangerous Terrain test and if it passes it's moved 1 inch back from the tower. Of course it passes the test and takes no damage.
The Gutter Runners live up to their ninja nature, shooting down 2 Glade Guard at the northern edge of the board, which turns into a mini disaster as this causes 2 more to flee of the board. The Ninja Rats also shoot down the Dryad in the centre of the board.

Casualties - Skaven = 8 : Wood Elves = 6
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Woodelf Turn 2

Right, realising I'am already nearly halfway to losing the game at the start of my second turn :cry: I decide to gamble a bit. As it is the only real chance I have of taking down the Doomwheel, the Alter Noble downs his Potion of Strength and charges in. The Dryad by the pond declares charges on Clanrats, but both choose to flee leaving her with a failed charge. Two of the Glade Guard in the Fungus Forest failt their stupidity test and I advance with everything else, looking to get the Glade Guard into short range in order to start racking up the casualties.

Glade Guard emerge from the shrubbery

It is however, not to be. In a complete catastrophe of a shooting phase the 12 remaining Glade Guard fail to cause a single casualty. <.< And to cap it off, inevitably the Noble is crushed by the Doomwheel's grind attack before he has a chance to strike, causing the two closest Galde Guard to flee for their lives.

Run away!!

Casualties - Skaven = 8 : Wood Elves = 7
Last edited by Monkey on 25 Nov 2013, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Skaven Turn 3

Keen to capitalise on my bad turn Gareth presses forward with everything he has, keen to offer me too many targets to deal with. In the North Gutter Runners move off to finish off the last remaining Glade Guard, and in the south the Doomwheel moves into a Glade Guard. In the centre the Dryad is on the receiving end of a triple charge from a Clanrat and 2 Stormvermin., and one of the Glade Guard in the central wood manages to take down a Gutter Runner with a stand and shoot, but is run down as he flees form another Gutter Runner. A Stromvermin and Clanrat rally, but another Stormvermin flees off the board, meaning I have been far more successful in my opponents turn that I was in my own. :(

Furry tide continues to advance

Rats charge home

In shooting, amazingly the Gutter Runners fail kill the Glade Guard sheltering amongst the rocks at the north of the board.

Missed Me!!

In combat all 3 of the Dryads opponents fail their fear test, but despite this she fails to cause any wounds. The rats also fail to wound, meaning combat is a draw (only wounds caused count); but the Doomwheel simply trundles over a Glade Guard and into another one on the edge of the woods. Gareth doesn't even have the decency to fail his dangerous terrain test, but at least no panic tests are failed.

I have no idea how to stop this now.

Casualties - Skaven = 10 : Wood Elves = 9
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Wood Elf Turn 3

I am now only 4 casualties away from losing, and still need to kill 15 more Skaven to win. I really need a good turn this time, and certainly cannot afford a repeat of my last turn.

The Treekin and one of the Dryads in the central wood charge Stormvermin, surprisingly enough Gareth holds (maybe he was feeling sorry for me?). The other Dryad in this wood charges a Gutter Runner who flees. I fail my redirect attempt, and then fail to catch the stupid thing. The Glade Guard close to the Doomwheel try to move away from it, but while still being able to shoot. Elsewhere, now all my fighty stuff is fighting the Glade Guard begin to back off a bit in a desperate attempt not to get killed.

Can the Wood Elves sort it out?

Here comes the cavalry (in the form of a Treekin and a couple of Dryads)

In the shooting phase the Glade Guard pull their fingers out and manage to take down 3 Stormvermin and 2 Clanrats causing several failed panic tests. In the central multiple combat the Dryad takes down the Clanrat and survives all the return attacks. Both Stormvermin flee, but typically I choose to chase the wrong one and both get away. The other Dryad and the Treekin both kill their Stormvermin opponents. The Dryad overruns, but the Treekin holds. The Doomwheel crushes it's opponent and overruns into the next Glade Guard, but surprisingly enough, manages to take 3 wounds as it does so.
So, what a great turn, if only I'd managed to do that last turn too, even so, maybe I can pull this off?

Casualties - Skaven = 18 : Wood Elves = 10
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Skaven Turn 4

Any hopes I had of pulling off a victory are quickly dispelled by Gareth's assessment of the situation. He only needs to kill 3 of my guys this turn to take the win. The Doomwheel is in combat, so that's a dead cert. The Gutter Runners on the hill can't really be as unlucky with the last Glade Guard as they were last turn, so he only needs to pick up one kill elsewhere to manage this. In order to achieve this the Chieftain charges into the Dryad in the centre of the board, and the remaining Gutter Runners move in around the Dryad who was chasing their companion. The fleeing Gutter Runner rallies, only 2 inches from the edge of the board. Most of the other fleeing rats continue to do so although they aren't really in danger of leaving the table. Where he can, Gareth continues to advance to make sure that I am swamped with targets.

Going down.... :( There is a Dryad and a couple of Gutter Runners hidden behind the wood on the right

The Gutter Runners quickly shoot down the Glade Guard on the hill, but 3 of them fail to take out the Dryad!! Meaning it will be down to the Chieftan to secure the win. The Doonwheel crushes another Glade Guard, but the Chieftain fails his fear test. All his attacks miss, and I have a reprieve :nod: The Dryad strikes back but is unable to penetrate the Chieftain's Armour, meaning combat is a draw and I have one last chance to pull a win out of the bag.

Casualties - Skaven = 18 : Wood Elves = 12
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Wood Elf Turn 4.

So I need to cause 7 casualties, suffering none in return, I reason there is no chance of me surviving another Skaven turn, so I will have to gamble to do it. Best I can realistically hope for is to kill 4-5 and then hope a few failed rally tests at the start of Gareth's next turn will carry me over the finish line. The un-engaged central Dryad charges a Clanrat who flees, it's still only a short distance away but a poor charge roll means it gets away. Much to Gareths disgust the Treekin charges into the Chieftain combat in an attempt to save the Dryad, and make sure the Chieftain goes down. Then after a lot of indecision, the Dryad behind the wood opts to charge the newly rallied Gutter Runner on the hill. He can't flee as he's only 2 inches from the edge of the board, and he'll need a 6 to hit me with stand and shoot......

Well, you guessed it, Gareth rolls a 6, I fail the ward and the Drayd goes down to a poisoned sling shot, losing me the game.

We play out the turn, but my shooting only takes out 1 more Gutter Runner and a Clanrat. In combat the Chieftan takes out the Dryad before being crushed by the Treekin.

Final Score is - Skaven = 21 : Wood Elves = 13 and another win for the Skaven. :cry:

I make an ill-advised charge

Positions at the end of the game.
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

So, hope that it was possible to follow that report. I was a bit disappointed with the result, as I had felt reasonably confident at the start, and we had discussed reducing the distance for panic tests, as it seemed like it would make things too difficult for the Skaven. I think I would have done better if I had been able to get the first turn, and my second turn was a total disaster, but it turned out a lot closer that I had thought after that second turn.

So any advice/suggestions/comments? What should I have done, or what did I do wrong?

Looking forward to game 3, this will be the final game of the Campaign, and will hopefully be done before Christmas. I was thinking of doing another report if people are still interested?

To save a bit of time, we did some of the admin stuff straight away. Again we both had to choose a Strategy. Gareth choose to plot and I choose to go for a Pincer Attack. Checking the matrix, this results in the Final Battle Scenario. We have a roll of and I win so get to choose the Scenario. The choices are Battle line, Blood and Glory or Dawn Attack. I choose Battleline in the end, as I have no change with Blood and Glory, and while Dawn Attack can really mess Skaven up, it could also make things difficult for me.

Gareth gets to roll a planning test which he passes (needing a 1 or a 2) so he will get 2 extra Stratagems to use int he game. I fail my Guile test (needing a 3 or less :roll: ) so the only bonus that I will be getting is my 5 extra wardancers that I have carried over from Game 2.

All I need now is a plan - Any suggestions?
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I think you did quite okay, you were very unlucky with your shooting. Also, when the doomwheel touches buildings or impassable terrain it takes d6 S10 hits!! Also when it takes wounds and it's not in combat or fleeing, it will need to check for going out of control at the end of that phase. So in your case, i suppose it could potentially have rammed the building twice and exploded. At the very least it would have hit once and could potentially have died or made it possible to shoot of the last couple of wounds.

The doomwheel may be the thing i hate the most in the skaven army, except for the storm banner. That thing is very rough against wood elves.
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Campaign Report vs. Skaven - Final Game

Post by Monkey »

Ok, so we have played the final game which has brought a conclusion to out little campaign. To re-cap, we're playing the Battle Line scenario, Gareth has ended up with 2 strategems he can use in the game and I have my extra unit of 5 Wardancers with a Musician. I'm not feeling very confident after losing the two opening games and I'm sure that the 2 strategems will give him an advantage that far outweighs the 97 point Wardancer unit (He loves all this sneaky stuff and has had two weeks to come up with something cunning).

I arrive at Gareth's house to find he has set up the terrain, which looks like this -

We roll for spells and I get Wyssan's Wildform, Flock of Doom, Amber Spear and Curse of Anrahier. Gareths Engineer gets Warplightening, The Plague Preist gets Bless with Filth and the Grey Seer gets Wither, Plague, Cracks Call, Skitterleap and 3 warpstone tokens.

Gareth then reveals that the first Strategem he has chosen is 'Ambush'. This allows him to place any infantry unit and attached characters as scouts. Additionally, on the roll of a 4+ they will be able to charge on the first turn, even if he goes first. he then happily tells me that he has chosen the Plague Monks as his ambushers :eek:

At least he has the decency to fail the 4+ roll.

We then move onto deployment. I am very careful to deploy my units with flamming attacks (Glade Guard unit and Alter Noble) opposite the Abomination. I also make sure that I keep my Treeman and Treekin away well away from the Doomwheel. This is made much easier by Gareth deploying them at opposite sides of his army (he doesn't want the Doomwheel to accidentally fry the Abomination on the first turn). At the end of deployment however, Gareth reveals his second strategem - 'Deception'. This allows him to switch any two units once deployment is complete. Knowing full well what I have tried to do, Garteh switches the Doomwheel and the Abomination :mad: Even before the first turn, things are already looking bad. Nevermind, at least I manage to win the roll for the first turn, and keen to do something about the Plague Monks before they can do anything I take a very deep breath and opt to go first.

Positions at start of the game, after vanguards and Deception strategy. My free wood is indicated by the dark green area with the single tree. As I didn't know where to put the spellweaver (didn't want to join the Wildriders as this would prevent the vanguard moves) I joined her to the Northern most Dryad unit.
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Wood Elf turn 1

At the north edge of the board the eagle moves into the ruins and the Treekin move around the edge of them, hoping that the Doomwheel won't head their way, The Alter Noble uses his speed to try to reposition towards teh south edge of the table, where hopefully he can at somepoint bring his Wildfire Blades and Potion of Strenght to bear on the Abomination. The Glade Guard all shuffle in order to bring their bows to bear on the Plague Monks, and in doing so discover that the northern forest on their side is a Fungus Forest. This isn't great news as I have bad memories of Moonstoning a unit of wardancers into a forest, discovering it was a fungus forest, then failing their stupidity test and stumbling out into the path of a cold one chariot :roll: ) At least no stupidity tests are required this turn. The treeman also moves forward to be in range of strangle root and to try to catch any charge they might make.
Unsure what to do with the Drayd units, they just shuffle around a bit. This is made more complicated by discovering that my free woood is in fact a Blood Forest, so I don't want to risk putting the Speel weaver in it.
In the south the Wildriders make a beeline for the warplightening cannon, while the scouts try to distract the Gutter Runners.

Situation after my movement phase.

Magic gives me 5 power dice to Gareth's 3 dispell dice. Flock of Doom on the Plague Monks causes no wounds and the Curse of Anrahier is dispelled.

The scouts manage to shoot down a single Gutter Runner, and everything else fires at the Plague Monks. The treeman misfires with his Strangle Root attack, but the 3 Glade Guard units (2 at close range) and the BSB's Hail of Doom Arrow manage to kill 19 Plague Monks. It's not bad, but it's not really good enough either. Time to brace myself for what is to come....
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Skaven Turn 1

Sadly my Treeman is too far away from the Plague Monks to be able to block their charge so Gareth declares a charge on the Glade Guard unit int he wood with the BSB. Thinkign back to the opening game where I shoudl have fled with the BSB's unit when charged, I flee reasoning they will give up an extyra 125 victory points if they are destroyed in combat. The unit stays on the board and the Plague Monks successfully redirect into the wardancers.
In the centre and the north Gareth advances with all of his units, the Warlock Engineer leaves the slave unit ready to fire his doomrocket. In the south the Gutter runners park themselves in front of the wildriders, and the Abomination rockets towards the Scouts, fortunately just falling an inch short of hitting them.

Stupid Skaven advance....

In the magic phase I dispell Skitterleap on the Engineer, Warplightening on the Treeman and Bless with Filth on the Plague Monks. All 3 dice castings dispelled with 2 dice, thanks to teh Wand of Wytch Elm :cool:

The Doomwheel fails to restrain it's fire and hits the Clanrats at Strength 4, but somehow fails to wound any. This trend continues, as amazingly, the Gutters Runners hsooting fails to wound the wildriders.

How did they miss form there????

The Warplightening Cannon takes a shot at the Spellweaver, it's looking like a good shot, but very fortunately Gareth rolls a misfire for the bounce and no damage is caused. The Doomrocket lines up at the Glade Guard with the flaming banner. Needing 22", Garteh rolls 20 on 6 dice, hitting 10 out of 12. He only manages to kill 6 of them though, and it's on to combat.

As he has an excellent overun path, Gareth activates the Plague Banner to ensure that he wipes out the Wardancers.

Look at that overun....

I go for the Extra Attack dance to try to kill as many as possible, but only manage to kill 1. The Plague Priest and Monks make short work of them and overun 4". This is excellent news as Gareth needed a 6" to reach the Glade Guard, and I have been given another chance to get rid of them. Just not quite sure how. And not sure how I'll deal with the rest of his army for that matter either. :confused:
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Wood Elf Turn 2

At this point I decide that if I'm going to win, I'll have to take a few risks to do it. In the south the Wildriders charge into the Gutter Runners. Amazingly enough the Gutter Runners fluff again and fail to kill any with their stand and shoot. The other Wildriders declare a charge on the lone Engineer. He flees into the (normal) woods, and I opt for a long re-direct into the Doomwheel. The Treeman also declares a charge against the Doomwheel as does the Eagle in the ruins (looking for the + 1for a flank charge). Amazingly enough all these long charges hit home! Elsewhere the Glade Guard with the BSB rally, and the Scouts move to try to prevent the Abomination from being able to reach the Wildriders.

I am a little unsure what to do about the Plague Monks. The Dryards are blocked from charging bu the Glade Guard. The Alter Noble could down his Potion of Strength and charge in, but even he would need to kill 6 (with only 6 attacks) to stop them being steadfast, and as they are still frenzied and led by a Plague Priest I have doubts about him surviving any return attacks. Plus I'm still hoping to use the Potion of Strenght against the Abomination, so in the end I settle for parking him directly in front of the Plague Monks and hope that a good round of shooting and magic wil sort them out.

Fingers crossed for a good combat phase then....

Don't worry, we'll hold it off for you...

Surely that lot can't fail to kill it - Can they?

Stupid Plague Monks

Disappointigly I only get 6 dice for magic. A cheeky 1 dice treesinging on the fleeing engineer in the woods fails, Gareth allows a 3 dice Curse of Anrahier off on the Stormvermin, before dispelling a 2 dice Flock of Doom on the Abomination.

In the shooting phase the 2 units of Glade Guard (well 1.5 really) that didn't rally this turn take aim at the Plague Monks, but only manage to kill 3. The Scouts fail to harm the Abomination. The combat phase however, goes much better. In the south, thanks to some jammy armour saves, the Wildriders kill 3 Gutter Runners for one loss in return. The Gutter Runners flee and are caught as the Wildriders overrun into the Warplightening Cannon. In the north, the Doomwheel puts all its grinding hits onto the Eagle, quickly squashing it into a feathery pancake. The Wildriders and the Treeman both cause a wound each for the loss of a Wildrider in return. The Doomwheel loses by a Musician and thankfully it flees. It flees a massive 13", getting away. The Wildriders somehow only manage to pursue 4" but the Treeman goes far enough to hit the Clanrat unit containing the Grey Seer. This makes me a feel a bit happier, although I'm disappointed that the Doomwheel is getting away, and still concerned about how I will stop the stupid Plague Monks.

Result!! :)
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Skaven Turn 2

The Plague Monks charge the Alter Noble and the Abomination crashes into the Scouts. The Doomwheel and the Engineer rally and in the centre the Stormvermin slowly advance (Gareth doesn't risk marching while cursed) with the Slave units keeping pace.

Skaven movement

Magic gives me 5 dispell dice against 8 power dice. I immediately use all these dice to dispell a 4 dice casting of Cracks Call at the Treeman as there is no way I can risk him dying. Sadly this means he is successfully Withered (-1 toughness for the rest of the game) and the Greey Seer then Skitterleaps off to safety behind the ruins.

Sneaky, sneaky rat.

In the combat phase the Wildriders kill the Warplightning Cannon. The Scouts bravely put a wonund on the Abomination before it squashes them all flat. The Alter Noble challenges and kills the Plage Priest. He loses the combat by a musician, but holds.
In the main event an Assasin leaps out of the unit of Clanrats and puts a wound on the now weaked Treeman. The Chieftan fails to wound, but the Clanrats manage another wound between them. Knowing the unit can't use the Assasin's leadership I put all the Treeman's attacks on the Chieftan, but they all miss <.< He kills 4 Clanrats with his stomps and manages to hold.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

Enjoying this so far, hope you get a chance to finish it!
Two things though:
-from the picture the wild riders are way too close to the gutter runners for them to get a stand and shoot. 9 inch move has its benefits!
-why curse of anreheir on te stormvermin instead of the plague monks (which were almost certain to charge)? I love curse for causing people to rethink charges or face the consequences
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Drstrangelove wrote:Enjoying this so far, hope you get a chance to finish it!
Excellent, thanks, glad to know I've got a reader! Will try and post some more tomorrow.

Two things though:
Drstrangelove wrote:-from the picture the wild riders are way too close to the gutter runners for them to get a stand and shoot. 9 inch move has its benefits!
-why curse of anreheir on te stormvermin instead of the plague monks (which were almost certain to charge)? I love curse for causing people to rethink charges or face the consequences
The Gutter Runners have been bought slings, which he couldn't use, but also come with throwing knives which are quick to fire, and so can always stand and shoot. As for the Curse, my main aim (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) was to slow down the advancing Stormvermin while I dealt with the Plague Monks. I had hoped to kill 5-6 with shooting (I hadn't accounted for the 6 man unit with the Flaming Banner suffering the -1 for shooting through the woods though) and felt that if I could manage this then the Alter could cope. Looking back, I don't understand why Gareth accepted the challenge though. he was able to refuse and the Alter would have been looking at between 9-12 return attacks, which may well have finished him off.
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Wood Elf Turn 3

At the start of my turn the Assassin drinks his Potion of Strength. :eek:
At the north end of the table, seeing an exposed flank in the Clanrat combat the Treekin declare a charge but fail miserably by rolling a 4 (needed around a 6 or 7). Blocked from charging by the Treeman, the Wildriders move down the flank of the clanrat unit ready to help out in my next turn.
In the south the Dryads charge into a Slave unit as I can't think of anything more useful for them to be doing, plus the Stormvermin have moved too far ahead to be able to perform a rescuing flank charge. The other Wildriders move up the west flank of the table, looking to get as far as possible from the Abomination and threaten the rear of the three large blocks. The Eagle flies over the Skaven blocks, looking to do the same.
In the centre a lot of shuffling takes place as my archers move back away from the oncoming units, but still try to be in a position to take a shot at them. The Dryads shuffle so that the Plague Monks will have to charge them as opposed to the Glade Guard if they manage to kill the Alter Noble.
The Spellweaver and the BSB both abandon their units and move to try to threaten the Grey Seer - hopefully I can magic him to death. I also did this partly to move them away from the oncoming Skaven and into a safer position.

After my movement phase

Too slow....

Dryads charge in while the Eagle tries to look threatening

Prepare to be zapped to death Mr Seer :nod:

My magic the Seer to death plan falls at the first hurdle as I only end up with 3 power dice. :( I decide that Flock of Doom is more likely to cause a wound or two than a low power Amber Spear and go for it. This causes a wound and amazingly the Seer takes another wound as my BSB shoots him. Sadly the Spellsinger can't try this as she marched. Sdaly this leaves the Seer on two wounds and Gareth declares that he is drinking his Skalm at the start of the comabt phase, which restores him back to full health. :roll: The combined shooting of the Glade Guard takes down 4 Stormvermin.

In the combat phase the Dryads kill 8 slaves for no loss. The slaves hold and reform into a horde formation. The Alter Noble fluffs big time causing no wounds (even if I had drunk the Potion of Strength I would have only causes 1 wound) and dying rather ignobly to the Plague Monks return attacks.

About to die like a numpty...

In the main event the Clanrat unit fails it's fear test. Despite this the Assassin still manages 2 strength 8 hits. Happily only one wounds and the Cheiftain and the Clanrats both fail to wound. The Treeman comes up with the goods this turn, killing the Chieftain and stomping 4 Clanrats dead. The Clanrats flee off the board causing the recently rallied Engineer to flee. On a less positive note the Treeman's pursuit move parks him right in front of the Doomwheel, which doesn't panic.

D'oh
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Skaven Turn 3

The northern most Slave unit charges the depleted Glade Guard unit. The stand and shoot kills 4 and the charge fails. The Stormvermin charge the Central Glade Guard unit. An excellent stand and shoot kills 6, but they make it into combat. The Plague Monks charge the Dryads and a high roll by the Abomination sees it crash into the Wildriders, and the Doomwheel goes into the flank of the Treeman. The Engineer continues to flee and the Seer hides in the ruins.

Skaven pile in across the board

Abomination hits the Wildriders while the Engineer runs for his life

Doomwheel gets ready to fry the Treeman

Stormvermin and Plague Monks hit home

Where did he go?

The magic phase sees Gareth with 9 power dice to my 6 dispel dice. I dispel a 4 dice casting of Plague but I'm unable to dispel Cracks Call on the Treekin even with the Wand of Wytch Elm and 3 of them disappear. Then the Seer Skitterleaps off to safety in the vicinity of the Stormvermin unit, taking care to keep well clear of the Glade Guard.

Oh - there he is...

In the shooting phase the Treemans charmed existence continues as the Doomwheel misfires and ends up with 4D6 movement for the rest of the game. Following this let off, in the combat phase the Doomwheel manages 3 strength 6 grinding hits on the now Toughness 5 Treeman, but all fail to wound as do the Doomwheels normal attacks. The Treeman hits back for two wounds resulting in a drawn combat, and I reform to face the Doomwheel.

The Stormvermin kill 8 Glade Guard for 1 loss in return. The Glade Guard flee, but remain on the table as the Stormvermin reform to face the ongoing Dryad Plague Monk combat.

In this combat the Dryads kill 3 Plague Monks for the loss of 2 Dryads in return. They hold, but now find themselves in something of an awkward spot.

Elsewhere, the other Dryad unit kills 8 slaves for 1 dead Dryad. The Slave unit disintegrates, killing 3 more Dryads as it does. The Dryads reform to face the other Slave unit. Finally the Abomination flattens all of the Wildriders without suffering any damage in return.
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Wood Elf Turn 4

At the start of this turn Gareth activates the Storm Banner. I think he may have intended to use it at the start of Turn 3 but forgotten.

The Dryads charge the remaining Slave unit in the flank, and the sole remaining Treekin attempts to charge into the Doomwheel combat but once again falls short.

The Glade Guard unit who were battered by the Stormvermin last turn fail to rally and flee of the board. At this point Gareth uses his little battle tracker app to give me an update on the victory points. Currently it's 837 to the Wood Elves and 726 to the Skaven. So I'm currently winning, but it is still very close.

Elsewhere the Glade Guard try to position themselves so they can take more shots at the Stormvermin, The remaining Wildrider unit heads back towards the centre of the table and the large Slave unit. The BSB moves to get a shot at the fleeing Engineer, hampered by the Storm Banner the Eagle pivots looking to be able to charge the Engineer next turn and the Spellweaver moves to just within 24" of the Seer, looking to have another go at zapping him, but trying to keep out of any potential overrun the Stormvermin may make once they have beaten up the Dryads.

Positions after my movement

I'll get him this time...

In the magic phase I get 6 dice to Gareth's 5. He opts to let a 2 dice casting of Flock of Doom on his Seer go through and takes another wound for his trouble. I then throw the remaining 4 dice at a boosted Amber Spear. I get the magic double 6, the Seer fails his 4+ ward again (he didn't pass a single 4+ ward all game!!), takes 4 wounds and dies. :nod: The miscast brings my Spellweaver down to a level 1 with one Wyssans Wildform remaining, but frankly I don't care, as the game is now looking winnable.

In the shooting phase, due to the Stormbanner, the Glade Guard can only shoot 2 Stormvermin, but a long shot from the BSB puts a wound on the fleeing Engineer. :ninja:

The Dryads kill two Plague Monks for 1 wound in return, leaving 1 Plague Mink remaianig. Annoyingly he holds, denying me the chance to chase him and get out of the way of the Stormvermin. I reform the Dryads to leave him on the flank and their front facing the Stormvermin.

Incoming!!

Elsewhere, things go much better. The Treeman takes the final wound off the Doomwheel without suffering any damage in return. The other (better) Dryad unit kills 7 slaves for 1 dead Dryad. The Slaves find themselves about half an inch outside the Generals leadership range and the unit explodes. The Dryads suffer no damage and reform to face the Stormvermin.
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Skaven Turn 4

The Stormbanner remains in effect. The Stormvermin charge into the ongoing Drayd combat. The Engineer continues to flee and happily stops directly between the Abomination and my Eagle, meaning that the Abomination can't hit my Eagle this turn.

Engineer inadvertantly saves my Eagle

Skaven Movement

Engineer inadvertantly saves
The Skaven no longer have any magic or shooting, so it’s straight onto the combat phase. The Warlord downs 2 Dryads and the Skaven BSB gets another. The Dryads again fail to kill the final Plague Monk, but manage to take down 3 Stormvermin, before the Stormvermin unit wipes them out. The last Plague Monk is blocking the overrun towards my Spellweaver so they reform to face the Glade Guard instead.

Stormvermin eye up the Glade Guard
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Wood Elf Turn 5

Sadly I don't have any pictures for this turn, so you will have to make do with my descriptions. The Stormbanner ends. Taking advantage of being able to fly, the Eagle charges the fleeing Engineer. He has to flee again, but the Eagle catches him right on the edge of the table. Everywhere else, units just shuffle. The Treekin, Treeman and Wildriders move to make sure they are out of danger, the 6 remianing Glade Guard with the flamming banner move to take a shot at the Abomination and everything else with a bow tries to find a position where it can shoot at the sole remaining Plague Monk or the Stormvermin.

In the magic phase the Spellweaver casts Wyssans Wildform on the Glade Guard unit directly in front of the Stormvermin. She does it irreistably, and loses the Spell and her last remaing magic level. In the shooting phases the flamming Glade Guard put a wound on the Abomination. Both the Spellweaver and the BSB miss the last reamining Plague Monk (happily Aseyendi's Bane causes no damage). As I can't risk letting the last guy get away and depriving me all of theose point, teh big Glade Guard unit are forced to shoot him down instead of putting a point blank volley into the Stormvermin as I had intended. But at lewast the Plague Monks are all finally dead now :)