Campaign Report vs. Skaven - Final Game

Moderator: Council of Elders

Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Campaign Report vs. Skaven - Final Game

Post by Monkey »

Skaven Turn 5

The Stormvermin unit charges the Glade Guard. I'm too close to stand and shoot, and even though they have Wyssans Wildform on them, I opt to flee, as they will die in combat, wheras they could escape on a good roll. Sadly it's not to be. They roll 5, the Stormvermin catch them and reform to face towards my Wildriders. The Abomination slams into the Eagle and explodes it in a big cloud of feathers.

Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Wood ElfTurn 6

At this point I could just move everything as far away as possible to secure the win, but Gareth talks me into keeping the game interesting, so the Wildriders charge the front of the Stormvermin, while the Dryads go in the rear. The Spellweaver, Treeman, last Treekin and the BSB move to positions of safety. I try to take out the Abomination with some jammy shooting, but unsurprisingly it doesn't happen and it just takes another wound.

In combat the Warlord downs two Wildriders. Convinently this pulls the BSB out of comabt, but it makes little difference in the long run. The Dryads kill 4 stormvermin and the Wildriders another 2 (if only I'd sabed that Wildform for this turn), before the Stromvermin wipe out the remaining Wildriders and kill a dryad. The Dryads lose and flee, but escape by 1 inch.

Skaven Turn 6
In the final Skaven turn all Gareth can do is charge and run down my fleeing Dryads as the Abomination is too far away to do anything.

Totting up the victory points reveals that the Wood Elves have scored 1712 to the Skaven 1402, meaning that I have had a rather fortunate win, and have won the campaign as well. Hurrah.

Thanks for reading, and would be very interested in hearing any feedback, if you think I made the right decisions or not, what you would have done in my place etc.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

Great report! Appreciate the time and effort put in, thanks!
Congrats on taking out the campaign too against a great opponent.

Had forgotten gutter runners came with throwing knives as well, sneaky gits!

Two more questions:
-isn't yiur spellweaver mounted? Hence as fast cav can't she shoot even if she marched?
-stormvermin charged and destroyed a fleeing GG unit and then reformed? I didn't think you got a combat reform in this situation, as in effect you have already had an overrun?

A non rules related question:
-wild riders: what so you think of them? They do seem to die to a stiff breeze in your reports.

Thanks again!
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Wargaming93
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves for fantasy...chaos space marines for 40k

Post by Wargaming93 »

Great report! Full of detail and pictures, we all love pictures! Haha.

As my previous fantasy army being skaven it was good to see how the wood elves faired against them, as I will probably end up playing my skaven against my wood elves once I've built them up.

Like I said great report but as for the skaven player I think if he had gone for a slightly different list the outcome of the battle could've been different.

Looking forward to the rematch!
Monkey
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Monkey »

Drstrangelove wrote:Great report! Appreciate the time and effort put in, thanks!
Two more questions:
-isn't yiur spellweaver mounted? Hence as fast cav can't she shoot even if she marched?
-stormvermin charged and destroyed a fleeing GG unit and then reformed? I didn't think you got a combat reform in this situation, as in effect you have already had an overrun?

A non rules related question:
-wild riders: what so you think of them? They do seem to die to a stiff breeze in your reports.
Thanks again!
Sorry, just realised that I hadn't got around to answering your questions.

The Spellweaver is mounted on a Unicorn. Despite being faster than an elven steed, it doesn't have the fast cavalry rule, so no march and shoot for her

The Stormvermin charged, and the Glade Guard chose to flee. They didn't go very far, so the Stormvermin hit them. If a charging unit makes contact with a fleeing unit, the fleeing unit is destroyed, the chargers can move no further, and can reform if they pass a leadership test - rulebook p23

As for Wildriders, I find them a useful but, not great unit. I've tried big units, which a fast and fairly hitty if led by a highborn. I find they win combat, but can't break steadfast units. Then they quickly get ground down. The little units of 5 or 6 offer a reasonable amount of utility for relatively few points. I have never managed to emulate the feats of one of my friends though, he took out my Chimera with a unit of 5 wildriders.