Fast Cav special rule on characters

Moderator: Council of Elders

Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Fast Cav special rule on characters

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

So I recently found out that if a character on an Elven Steed joined a unit with Fast Cav, then the character too would gain the fast cav rule.

Does this mean that the character as a single model would still have fast cav if they left the unit?
I was basically playing with the idea of sling-shotting a lvl 1 wizard of Beasts (Wyssans & equipped with the HoDa) up the flank to provide my Wild Riders with their very own source of Wyssans.
I know I couldn't put the wizard in with the WR as they are forest spirits, but I thought I could maybe put her in with Glade Riders to vanguard then leave the unit in the movement phase to hide behind the WR and provide them with Wyssans. I have decided to give her the HoD seems as she's behind enemy lines may come in handy ;)

I'll keep her out of enemy line of sight either by terrain, or the WR unit.

I am planning on having a Lvl 4 Life-weaver stay back as my General and having the Lvl 1 Beasts (Wyssans-singer) for the sole purpose of beefing up the WR (9 w/full command, Razor standard & a WR kindred Noble w/ Dawnspear making the unit 10). I also play with ASF, so I usually reek havoc with my Wild Rider unit.
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Fast Cav special rule on characters

Post by Mollesvinet »

You could make the wizard a glamourweave kindred, then she can join them. A level 2 mage out on her own doesn't seem very safe, even if she does get a 4+ look-out-sir. However if she joins, then she will enter combat which isn't very safe either.

Also she can only take beast magic if you are playing by some house rules or comp pack that allows it.
kakwah
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Orcs & Goblins

Post by kakwah »

gets fast cav rule form the elven steed - not from joining the fast cav unit
Shay
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Shay »

On a side note, nobles on elven steeds make for really good fast cav "units".

If you really want to Wildform those wildriders without mounting your wizard (Which, as Molle points out, isn't all that safe to do) you'll either have to keep up pace with the wildriders or perhaps use the Moonstone to teleport to a forest nearby.
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

I don't play comps, but the guys I play are good friends of mine so we have developed loads of house rules for a bunch of armies. They with allow me to take Life & Beasts on Spellweavers & Spellsingers. I don't take any items/spites that give me additional power/dispel dice.

We house rule a lot of WE units just to keep them balanced with the other armies. I also get ASF on my Elves. :D

So she would still get the vanguard rule?
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Yes, as Fast Cavalry she would have the Vanguard rule.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
InstantKarma
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Warhammer: Wood Elves|Warhammer 40k: Tau & Blood Angels

Post by InstantKarma »

This might be an out of place comment, but...

If you took a WR Noble and WR Highborn and a GW Spell Singer/Weaver, if the Wild Riders have a FC you can push the wizard to the Second rank, right in the middle, should be pretty safe.

Apparently this is what a High Elf Dragon Prince Bus does. Theirs has the advantage of Martial Prowess (so the third rank can still get an attack with a 5x3 set up including the Characters) but I could see this as a nice set up for a Wild Rider Bus. With a Weaver with Beasts and Wyssan's or Savage Beast, that could be a scary unit. And as has been stated: Fast Cav!
A project with two of my friends on being new to Warhammer Fantasy.
http://taleof3wargamers.wordpress.com/
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Hello Instantkarma,

There is already quite a lot of discussion about Wild Rider tactics, Stag Buses etc. If you look at the link I will add I'm sure you will find what I mean. Just remember, great minds think alike :D

http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25763
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah