Calaingor's Stave

Moderator: Council of Elders

Perkele
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Orcs & Goblins, Vampire Counts, Bretonnia, Weed Elves, Imperial Guard (40k)

Calaingor's Stave

Post by Perkele »

Hi, I'm having some difficulties trying to understand how our good ol' Calaingor's Stave works. I know all of you have your army books there but here's a short quote how the rule basically says:
"...In addition, caster may cast (and attempt to cast) the Tree Singing spell more than once per Magic phase."
Does this mean the caster ignores the rules of broken concentration when he's/she's casting Tree Singing, or does he/she have to cast the spell successfully in order to keep casting it? It could be interesting to spam the spell with one dice, rolling those 3+'s and moving a forest and the unit in it quite long distances.
They say the best things in life are free
so give all your beer and your rum to me
valmir
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Calaingor's Stave

Post by valmir »

No, you'd still need to stop if you failed. It just lifts the rule that says you only cast a given spell once per turn.

In general, I think it's safe to assume that an item or special rule only affects the game mechanics it specifically invokes.
Perkele
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Orcs & Goblins, Vampire Counts, Bretonnia, Weed Elves, Imperial Guard (40k)

Post by Perkele »

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, there goes that then. Thanks for the quick response!

Now that I'm here I might ask another question about one of this old book's magic items. Does Divination Orb add the extra dispel dice in my dispel attempt even if the bearer of that item isn't the one who's dispelling the spell? So can I have it on a Spellsinger and still do the dispelling with the extra dice with my Spellweaver?
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Perkele wrote:That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, there goes that then. Thanks for the quick response!

Now that I'm here I might ask another question about one of this old book's magic items. Does Divination Orb add the extra dispel dice in my dispel attempt even if the bearer of that item isn't the one who's dispelling the spell? So can I have it on a Spellsinger and still do the dispelling with the extra dice with my Spellweaver?
Nope, it explicitly states that the extra dice goes to the bearer.

Also, if you want to one-dice spam Treesinging, take 2-3 Treemen, with one of them being an ancient. In my Triple Treeman list I can one-dice Treesinging 4 times, which is way more than I ever need.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Perkele
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Perkele »

Thanks for the quick response!