Maximising and charging

Moderator: Council of Elders

Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Maximising and charging

Post by Blackcat »

Hey guys Im struggling to understand how maximizing works.

So yesterday I was playing a game and a pheonix charged my unit of three treekin. The treekin were facing directly at the pheonix so he didnt need to close the door at all. He said that he only needed to be in base to base contact with two of them but I thought you needed to maximize so that he would need to be in base contact with all three. Because the pheonix was directly in front of the unit doesnt he just have to move straight into contact or can he move to the side of the unit?

Rules and pages would be appreciated.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Maximising and charging

Post by Mollesvinet »

Look at page 20 in the rulebook. The text could be intepreted like your opponent did i suppose, but the picture is very clear on this! You have to wheel during your charge if it can bring more models into combat.
mabelode
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by mabelode »

Not even the text;
"....maximising the number of models in base contact on both sides." As Mollesvinet said, right at the bottom of p.20.
WizzyWarlock
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by WizzyWarlock »

As said, they have to bring as many models into base contact as they can. Sometimes the angles and distances won't let you get the maximum amount, but usually you will. You can view it as both sides are trying to initiate combat, not just one choosing where it wants to be and diving in while the other stands rigid.
"I don't know the meaning of the word "surrender". I mean, I know it, I'm not dumb... just not in this context." - The Tick
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

My point was that in the text it says:

"it may make a single wheel of up to 90°. You are free to make this wheel in order to place your unit wherever you like against the facing of the enemy unit that is being charged, but remember that you must bring as many models into base contact with the enemy as possible, from both sides"

Note that the underline is mine. For a rule-lawyer i guess this could be read as you only have to maximize if you wheel. It is clearly not the intention though.
WizzyWarlock
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by WizzyWarlock »

Mollesvinet wrote:My point was that in the text it says:

"it may make a single wheel of up to 90°. You are free to make this wheel in order to place your unit wherever you like against the facing of the enemy unit that is being charged, but remember that you must bring as many models into base contact with the enemy as possible, from both sides"

Note that the underline is mine. For a rule-lawyer i guess this could be read as you only have to maximize if you wheel. It is clearly not the intention though.
"it may make a single wheel of up to 90°. You are free to make this wheel in order to place your unit wherever you like against the facing of the enemy unit that is being charged, but remember that you must bring as many models into base contact with the enemy as possible, from both sides".

That's the bit you should be looking at. You may make a single wheel is basically the same as saying you may not have to make a single wheel, because you're facing the unit straight on. Either way, you have to bring as many models into contact as possible. Where the 'may' really takes effect is where along the unit you want to be placed. Let's say your unit has a frontage of 5 and the enemy unit has a frontage of 10. The enemy wizard is in the far corner of the unit. You may want to wheel to be able to hit the wizard while still keeping all models in base contact.
"I don't know the meaning of the word "surrender". I mean, I know it, I'm not dumb... just not in this context." - The Tick
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Don't get me wrong wizzy, i know how to play it. Just guessing what his friend was basing his argument on.