AoSS and mounted

Moderator: Council of Elders

mabelode
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

AoSS and mounted

Post by mabelode »

I know I'm clutching at straws here, and in reality it would make little difference, BUT the AoSS is 2+ and cannot be improved by any means, but a cavalry model gets +1.
Can I make an argument that being mounted does improve the AS to 1+ as it's not improving the "Armours" save but our noble mount improves the models save?
I know it reads very straightforward but I reckon my poor horsey would be a little miffed if it wasn't helping out like it should (might start considering itself an "ass" because it doesn't have an "o").
(Yes, that hurt me too!)
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Re: AoSS and mounted

Post by Drstrangelove »

sorry. 2+ only.
Hence why I prefer armour of destiny on my mounted characters
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

AoSS is good on infantry models likes your BSB (if you aren't taking a shooty one) as with the Luck stone you get a 2+ re-rollable. Fairly descent though not perfect. Also lacks a Parry save :(
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

popisdead wrote:AoSS is good on infantry models likes your BSB (if you aren't taking a shooty one) as with the Luck stone you get a 2+ re-rollable. Fairly descent though not perfect. Also lacks a Parry save :(

And not nearly as reliable as it should be if your dice-rolling is anything like mine :smirk:
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

For a noble on foot going into close combat i would always take stone of rebirth. The silvered steel is simply to unreliable without permanent rerolls when you consider strength modifiers and that the noble only has 2 wounds.
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Post by Blackcat »

Mollesvinet wrote:For a noble on foot going into close combat i would always take stone of rebirth. The silvered steel is simply to unreliable without permanent rerolls when you consider strength modifiers and that the noble only has 2 wounds.
This! AoSS is pretty rubbish with the amount of high strength available these days. It usually ends up only being a 4+ save versus other heroes as well.

Mounted characters dont really need it. You can get a 3+ save. light armour, mounted, shield and magical helm. The benefit of being wood elves is we have access to heaps of ward saves so try and use them instead.
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Shandrakor »

Blackcat wrote:This! AoSS is pretty rubbish with the amount of high strength available these days. It usually ends up only being a 4+ save versus other heroes as well.
4+ Armor Save is pretty good in my book. Same cost as the magic talisman that gives the same save as a Ward Save but you can still stack it with a Ward Save to boot!
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Post by Blackcat »

Shandrakor wrote:
Blackcat wrote:This! AoSS is pretty rubbish with the amount of high strength available these days. It usually ends up only being a 4+ save versus other heroes as well.
4+ Armor Save is pretty good in my book. Same cost as the magic talisman that gives the same save as a Ward Save but you can still stack it with a Ward Save to boot!
The problem with having AoSS and a ward save is the points factor. Personally I would just give my character stone of rebirth or Annoyance of Netlings (or both) and call it a day. You are still not going to be able to go toe to toe with other combat characters even with a 2+ 4++.

Personally I just dont feel like AoSS works with the wood elf playstyle.
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Shandrakor »

Blackcat wrote:The problem with having AoSS and a ward save is the points factor. Personally I would just give my character stone of rebirth or Annoyance of Netlings (or both) and call it a day. You are still not going to be able to go toe to toe with other combat characters even with a 2+ 4++.

Personally I just dont feel like AoSS works with the wood elf playstyle.
Why not just give the Highborn all 3 items? 2+ AS, 2++ WS on last wound, and 6's to be hit in a challenge, combined with a Great Weapon for offense works well. Typically I run my Highborn in Eternal Guard with the Dawnstone instead of Stone of Rebirth, but that last build works good in a variety of positions.

As for AoSS not working with the Wood Elf play-style... it sounds more like you just haven't found a niche for it, while others have.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620