Moderator: Council of Elders

Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

ASF

Post by Blackcat »

Hi guys,

Recently watching a game of fantasy and this happened: A unit of dark elf spearmen with a character who had a great weapon were charged by a frostheart pheonix. SO the pheonix gives always strikes last to the unit does the character with great weapon strike last or strike at initiative?

He already has always strikes last from the great weapon but his own always strikes first cancels that out so is striking at initiative. Does the pheonix then gives him another always strikes last or do you only get one special rule and it does not stack?
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: ASF

Post by frogboy »

I can't imagine why it would stack, if you had an Dark Elf with an always strike first blade (sword of swift slaying) it wouldn't be double quick would it ? Like if you charge a unit of skeletons with dryads neither of them take a fear test. I don't know why but I'm sure special rules don't stack.

IMO the Dark Elf in your scenario would strike in Initiative order. But I would be interested to hear if anyone disagrees and why.

:D

Cheers,
Frogboy
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
SquidBoy
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by SquidBoy »

I would say that he strikes last.
upon entering the battlefield his great weapon is canceling his ASF, thus he is fighting with his initiative. Then the phoenix comes around forcing him to ASL.

I would argue that these special rules stack and cancel out each outer if equal;
fear vs fear = cancel out each other and noone take panic test.
ASF vs ASF = cancel out each other and both sides fight normal with initiative.
character with ASF equipted with sword of swift slaying = double ASF = ASF against enemies with only a single ASF.
character with ASF equipted with great weapon = ASF - ASL = fight with his initiative.
character with ASF equipted with great weapon faceing a phoenix = ASF -ASL - ASL = ASL.

just my two cents... :)
kakwah
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Orcs & Goblins

Post by kakwah »

SquidBoy wrote:I would say that he strikes last.
upon entering the battlefield his great weapon is canceling his ASF, thus he is fighting with his initiative. Then the phoenix comes around forcing him to ASL.

I would argue that these special rules stack and cancel out each outer if equal;
fear vs fear = cancel out each other and noone take panic test.
ASF vs ASF = cancel out each other and both sides fight normal with initiative.
character with ASF equipted with sword of swift slaying = double ASF = ASF against enemies with only a single ASF.
character with ASF equipted with great weapon = ASF - ASL = fight with his initiative.
character with ASF equipted with great weapon faceing a phoenix = ASF -ASL - ASL = ASL.

just my two cents... :)
This in incorrect unfortunately.

While it is true that ASL and ASF "cancel each other out" the model still has both special rules. ASL+ASL is still ASL and ASF + ASF is still just ASF.

I`ll go over the corrections below

ASF vs ASF = Both parties strike simultaneously at the ASF initiative step
character with ASF equipted with sword of swift slaying = double ASF = Still just has regular ASF
character with ASF equipted with great weapon = ASF - ASL = fight with his initiative. (this is correct)
character with ASF equipted with great weapon faceing a phoenix = ASF -ASL - ASL = ASL. This character has both the ASF and ASL special rules, and therefore would strike in initiative order.

Hope this helps
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

I'd say because his ASF is already negated leading to him to strike at Intiative order, the addition of another ASL would mean that he strikes last.

If you had a weapon that gave you ASF, you already had ASF as a rule, and you were fighting someone with ASF, then you would strike simultaneously! I don't think that would stack. Also, once an ASF has been negated you wouldn't be able to still strike first due to stacking it.
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
danny1995
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by danny1995 »

He will strike in initiative order. As per the BRB rules do not stack unless specified.
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

OK that makes sense :D
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

I think people would role off because both sides would keep arguing and interpreting =P
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

hutobega wrote:I think people would role off because both sides would keep arguing and interpreting =P
Hear the Hutobega. The Hutobega is wise.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

danny1995 wrote:As per the BRB rules do not stack unless specified.
Just to make an important point on this, the rulebook itself says that rules do stack unless noted - the later FAQ makes it clear that this only applies to different special rules stacking, not multiples of the same rule (which don't stack unless stated outright).

In this case, there is no such note for ASF/ASL - multiples of the same rule will therefore have no effect. As kakwah says, ASF + ASL + ASL is just the same as plain ol' ASF + ASL = Initiative Order.

Provided you've got the FAQ to hand, there should be no arguments :smirk:
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
SquidBoy
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by SquidBoy »

kakwah wrote:This in incorrect unfortunately.
I stand corrected
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

kakwah + Beithir Seun = correct.

By end of May we will all be ASF experts ;-)
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Blackcat »

ok so to be clear they dont stack and a character with a great weapon and ASF will still strike at initiative even if a frostheart pheonix charged him
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarfs, and Salamanders

Post by FriedTaterExplosion »

Blackcat wrote:ok so to be clear they dont stack and a character with a great weapon and ASF will still strike at initiative even if a frostheart pheonix charged him
Exactly.

As a side-note, I've been playing all my games lately under Crossroads Comp (part of which grants ASF to all elves in the army.) In my last game against high elves, a frostheart charged my glade guard, who because of ASF still were able to attack before the pheonix. GG did a wound on the pheonix, baby!

I think we'll all really like ASF when we get it.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

As someone who played High Elves under the old book, I can say that this makes a huge difference. Without re-rolls and auto-striking first WE badly need the strength boosts from Lore of Beasts if they want to kill things in combat. I can only dream now of the killing power my unit of 14 Swordmasters used to have. But if Saereth get +1S say, it would be game on.
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Friedtater!!!!! ASF I had a chariot ram my ten man unit of glae guard and i thought I was a goner...well he did 1 impact hit and i dealt 5 wounds back and he saved none lmao! next turn those 9 glade guard shot 7 gors!
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Blackcat »

FriedTaterExplosion wrote: Exactly.

As a side-note, I've been playing all my games lately under Crossroads Comp (part of which grants ASF to all elves in the army.) In my last game against high elves, a frostheart charged my glade guard, who because of ASF still were able to attack before the pheonix. GG did a wound on the pheonix, baby!

I think we'll all really like ASF when we get it.
Yea its sorely needed. I have been playing against high elves frequently and my elf units cannot handle his units in combat. For example I charged 8 wild riders into 10 archers and with stand and shoot and always strike first he killed all of them before I even got to strike. Its the same problem with dark elves. The only reason I have been winning is because of treekin, eternal guard with rhymers harp and lots of shooting.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

The other thing of course is that ASF would negate the re-rolls other elves are currently getting vs WE, a huge boon defensively. Dryads are I6 but Wild Riders and Eternal Guard aren't.

That does sound extremely unlucky with the WR's though. On average S&S should only kill one and he should get one more (two if he's very lucky) before the Riders kill about four and force a break test.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

ASF doesn't give any defense against rerolls, an enemy with ASF and equal/higher initiative still gets rerolls. That being said, I have been playing with ETC rules for the last many games and ASF is really nice! It's hardly gamechanging, definately not overpowered, but its a really nice boon.
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Shandrakor »

Mollesvinet wrote:ASF doesn't give any defense against rerolls, an enemy with ASF and equal/higher initiative still gets rerolls. That being said, I have been playing with ETC rules for the last many games and ASF is really nice! It's hardly gamechanging, definately not overpowered, but its a really nice boon.
Always Strikes First does not give re-rolls against other enemies with ASF regardless of Initiative. If both parties have ASF neither gets re-rolls. BRB page 66.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I stand corrected! My bad, i even looked up the rule before posting but somehow managed to miss the last sentence.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

The significant changes will be if Wardancers stay Init 6, Dryads have access to ASF and stay init 6 and our characters with great weapons. Giving up high init on an elf character hurts.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

For HE's, losing Speed of Asuryan really hurt the GW elites, White Lions and Swordmasters as well as characters. Suddenly, not only have they lost the re-rolls but they strike at Initiative, which is not faster than some very nasty combat opponents, so these do not die before killing elves. Of course they get Martial Prowess now, which lets them fight in a third rank.

EG don't use Great Weapons of course and already strike in a third rank most of the time. But they badly need a strength buff to make full use of ASF. Where this leaves WE GW characters I'm not sure. I feel it'll probably be worth taking a long hard look at the S buffing magic swords.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

HE didn't get "massively hurt" they got brought in line. They still strike before most Monsterous Cav. Or most units in general.

I would say the Gyrobomber hurts HE elites more than not having re-rolls.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

By the end of it's life the last HE book was one of the weaker books in the game. Yes it had re-rolling GW's but the new book, with Book of Hoeth, World Dragon, Martial Prowess and decent Core is clearly stronger. Trying to play the old book without re-rolling GW elites would have been a real battle. I know. I tried it.

Under the new book, with PG, World Dragon and Shield of Saphery it's a rare elite unit that's that vulnerable to shooting. What they've lost in raw killing power, they've gained in defence and this is one reason they've turned from a good match-up for WE's to a bad one. Most HE lists will have multiple RBT to keep flyers honest.