Swift Reform after a move?

Moderator: Council of Elders

pivole
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Bretonnia, Wood Elves

Swift Reform after a move?

Post by pivole »

I've been reading the rulebook (still haven't managed to get a game in), and I find the rules for swift reforms to be quite vague. Am I only allowed to do the reform at the beginning of my move, or can I move forwards and then about-turn?
I wondered because I recall an article (with some wonderful diagrams) about just running around enemy units shooting at them while they try and get you into a charge arc for long enough. It's perfectly possible that it was, in fact, just a fast cavalry tactica, not generic, but any response is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Gerner
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Swift Reform after a move?

Post by Gerner »

The normal rules are you can only switftreform and then move.
BUT!
You can march forward and wheel, turning your front arc later.
And Fast Cavalry can reform as many times as they want during their movement. :)
Feel like helping me out? Look at my army list thread: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25040 :)
pivole
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by pivole »

Ah, blast. You can't fire on the march as ranked infantry, can you?
So the question is, what do I do once the distance to the enemy has been closed
RonRJW
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by RonRJW »

Don't forget you can move backwards and to the side (not both in one move) half a units movement characteristic rounded up. Moving three inches back can help keep you out of charge range or on the high end of an enemy units charge range while still being at s4 range with glade guard. I do it to Ogres all the time! Good luck and have fun. :D
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Also, don't be afraid to just march away and not shoot at all. Better that than dying :-)
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Marching away is how tournament WE players were successful and with no Armour or combat ability it isn't gamey.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Akaba
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Akaba »

Just to give a little more clarity to the OP, reforms happen at the start of a units move. The swift reform is an upgraded reform and is available to the unit if it has a musician. The check for a swift reform is a leadership test, and if you are successful you can still perform actions (move, shoot) after said swift reform. This does mean that you could if you wanted swift reform to about face and then move backwards/forwards as per your question.

As a separate issue that you touched on, rank and file units cannot march and shoot. Fast cavalry and skirmished units can however march and shoot. Both also have unlimited reforms to put you in the right location and orientation too.
pivole
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by pivole »

Thanks to all for the help and clarifications. I'll have a think about what to do then.