New to Warhammer, quick question.

Moderator: Council of Elders

CreepySeagulls
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves; Space Wolves

New to Warhammer, quick question.

Post by CreepySeagulls »

First off, if I've posted this in the wrong place,I apologise and could you please move it to the right place. :)

Hi, as the title states, I'm new to Warhammer and have chosen Wood Elves as my army.

Now, I've played a bit of 40k in my time, but had my first fantasy game last night. Just a quick little game against my girlfriend who is playing WoC.
My problem is this, my treekin were slaughtered. I have a feeling I'm getting something wrong as I was under the impression that my treekin would decimate a squad of chaos warriors, or at least survive a while.

I think the problem is that I forgot that tree spirits have magic attacks, but I can't seem to find magic attacks in the rule book and have forgotten how they work.

Could someone please help out? It would be greatly appreciated. :)
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: New to Warhammer, quick question.

Post by frogboy »

I hope I can help a little...

First of all magical attacks will have no extra effect on the Chaos Warriors as they are mortals, look on page 68 of the main rule book and read the Ethereal Section. Page 18 of the Wood Elf Army book explains what Forest Spirits do, they gain a 5+ Ward Save against troops without magical attacks, so unless your girlfriends Chaos Warriors are rocking a Magical Standard which effects close combat attacks they will benefit from that save, also they have a 4+ armour save before modifiers.
Treekin also have cause Fear, which is not to be underestimated in this edition of the game. Page 69 of the main rule book gives you a complete description of what this special rule dose. Remember to test every round of combat, this also could help keep your Treekin alive if the Chaos Warriors fail the test.

That being said I'm not sure your using the Treekin for the right job, remember Wood Elves need to be supported in all things weather it's extra units in combat or magic to buff them or replace wounds. Somebody else with better knowledge of these things could proberly help you out in that respect. There are a few threads on this site with Treekin tactics in them try to search some.

If all else fails it's not too bad loosing to your girlfriend, at least it should make her happy which isn't all bad :D

Good luck and have fun,
Frogboy
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

"If all else fails it's not too bad loosing to your girlfriend, at least it should make her happy which isn't all bad :D"

LMFAO true...

With you being so new I bet you missed out on some rules and such. No big deal we all still screw them up haha... Can you tell us what the WoC were using? if they had halberds which i believe is the strongest thing they can carry then you should have received a 6+ armor save due to a -2 modifier from their strength 5 and then the 5+ spirit ward save we get. If they were "chosen" warriors then yes they would be a problem from treekin but that's why we shoot them up first then charge in with the trees :) we all live and learn my friend! wood elves are a hard race to do well with but in time people just hate fighting us or underestimate our potential!
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
CreepySeagulls
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by CreepySeagulls »

Ah right. That's fair enough. I know all the warriors were immune to psychology. I think that was the mark of Khorne that does that. I didn't get much shooting in to be honest. They all had shields too, which made shooting them a bit tricky.

I'll have a look at some treekin tactics, just tactics in general in fact.

Thanks for the help guys. :)
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

Feel free to ask away on here we LOVE helping!
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
CreepySeagulls
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by CreepySeagulls »

Good to know. If I have any more questions, I'll let you know. :)
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Warriors are a bad matchup for Treekin in a straight fight. Warriors strike first with two attacks hitting on 3s and wounding on 4s (with Halberds). You get a 6+ armor save and 5++ ward save. Assuming a 6-wide block of 24, that's 18 attacks which translate to 12 hits, 6 wounds of which 2-3 save. In return, you do 18 attacks (assuming a unit of 6 in 2x3) hitting on 4s (9) wounding on 3s (6) of which 1 will save and 1 parry. Then you get 3 stomps which might get you another wound. If you've charged and done 2-3 more wounds than your opponent, YOU STILL LOSE COMBAT because she will have +3 for ranks and +1 for standard.

Warriors are best to shoot at with Glade Guard for 2-3 turns and then engage :-) actually that's just a good rule of thumb for more or less any combat unit!

Good luck. Wood elves are surprisingly good against Warriors.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
CreepySeagulls
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by CreepySeagulls »

Haha, I'll bear that in mind. Thank you. I'll look up some battle reports and stuff. See if I can grasp a better idea of how everything works, what's a good idea and what's bad. :)
Akaba
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Akaba »

Another general facet of WE as well, is that the team is more than just the sum of its parts. You have to understand this and incorporate it into how you play WE, and this is in essence what makes it harder to play than some other teams. While it is possible to look at that one fight and think that perhaps you are missing something (and you might be!), it is also possible that there are other things you could have done to help win that fight too. Examples include positioning, army comp etc.