Handy hint vs cannon / war machines

Moderator: Council of Elders

godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Handy hint vs cannon / war machines

Post by godswearhats »

This came up in a game last night.

Cannon and other War Machines can pivot which doesn't count as moving. They do this so that they can take aim at better other targets, and it doesn't count as moving so they can still fire even if they pivot.

HOWEVER, this pivot *must* be done in the movement phase. Many players do the pivot in the shooting phase, but page 112 of the BRB (under firing a cannon) clearly states this must be done in the movement phase. I bring it up here because we have an army that is particularly susceptible to cannon fire, and allowing your opponent to pivot to get a better line of fire *after* the movement and magic phases is not only giving them an unfair advantage, it's just plain old breaking the rules :-)

Anyway, I knew I had read it somewhere and was glad to find it again so I thought I'd share it with everyone so you can make sure that your opponent pivots in the correct phase.

Hope this helps!
~gwh
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: Handy hint vs cannon / war machines

Post by frogboy »

Mmm personally I think if my opponent forgets to pivot in the movement phase it's not that much of a big deal, it doesn't really matter, won't give him any advantage etc and if I spend 10 minutes arguing and pointing out that the rules are written in that way it will only achieve a negative effect for both of us. This to me is exactly the kind of rules lawyering that ruins the game.

Remember young padawans, play in the spirit of the game :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

I think my point is that a lot of people think that the pivot comes in the shooting phase, so you can choose a target *after* you've had your magic phase. Which means they may have aimed the cannon at a Treeman but then a Searing Doom kills him, so they re-aim at your Treekin, which to me is just wrong. I can't pivot my units in the shooting phase.

If someone forgets, yeah sure, and for friendly games it's usually never an issue - beer usually gets in the way more than anything else :-)

But against those players who like to min/max everything in order to win at all costs (I'm looking at you, Warriors of Chaos) I think it's worth making them play by the rules.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Turns out it was FAQ'd to be in the shooting phase! Hahahah, there goes that!
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

You make some fair points there GWH, there are plenty of issues like this in the game, dispite this one being faq'ed now.

Rules bending, acedently (on purpose) forgetting the rules, rules lawyering and other shenanigans are all distasteful and get a big fat :thumbsdown: from me (not that that really means anything) :D

I used to feel the same way about the rule in blood bowl which allows your opponent to take a re-roll off you for not moving the turn counter, bugged the hell out of me until I stopped using re-rolls Nuffle be praised ! :lol:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: O&G, Ogres, WE's. Crons for 40k :)
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

Post by Sunshine coconut »

One thing to remember is that by rule lawyering ourselves, we'll never teach the more horrific players the error of their ways. We need to show them how to act, not how not to act (They already know how to do this).
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(