line of sight for lone characters

Moderator: Council of Elders

zorrogorro
Newcomer
Newcomer

line of sight for lone characters

Post by zorrogorro »

ok so as far as it goes everything in this game has line of sight of on the 45's from what i understand even skirmish. but do lone characters also have this or are they still 360. i could not find anything in the book about it. if anyone could clear this up for me, or has a page refference illd be happy to see it.
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: line of sight for lone characters

Post by Shandrakor »

Unless otherwise stated somewhere in a rule for something, everything in Warhammer in 8th edition only has Line of Sight to the 90 degree frontal arc. This includes, but is not limited to, characters, units, monsters, skirmishers, fast cavalry, etc.

A couple obvious exceptions I can think of are Hex and Augment spells, which specifically state they don't require Line of Sight or frontal arc.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

It is a little more complicated now.

RAW? We have TLOS. And there is nothing about 90° LoS in BRB. As far as I am aware, it is not anywhere within.

BUT

Nearly everything requires front arc.

So, for most things you need TLOS and front arc. And usually, if you do not need TLOS, you do not need front arc as well. And yes, there are some complicated issues with older ABs, so general consensus states TLOS can be drawn in the front arc only.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
zorrogorro
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by zorrogorro »

ok so eveything is front arc lol i dont know why but the group i play with all said they had 360 for the lone modles. thanks
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Shandrakor »

unicorn wrote:RAW? We have TLOS. And there is nothing about 90° LoS in BRB. As far as I am aware, it is not anywhere within
Page 5 of the BRB talks about the 90 degree quadrants that make up the front, rear, and flank arcs of units. And yeah, the majority of things only take into account frontal arc, like shooting for example. Thus I just said 90 degree frontal arc as a quick reference to Line of Sight. Either way it's technicalities and we're mostly agreeing with each other.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Shandrakor wrote:Page 5 of the BRB talks about the 90 degree quadrants that make up the front, rear, and flank arcs of units. And yeah, the majority of things only take into account frontal arc, like shooting for example. Thus I just said 90 degree frontal arc as a quick reference to Line of Sight. Either way it's technicalities and we're mostly agreeing with each other.
Yes, indeed :)

I just wish to point out that p10 (LOS) rules do not work with arcs / 90° at all and that you may run into persons arguing with this to their advantage. Especially with some older ABs and their rules this can cause some issues, so I wish to point that out for people who may be catch off guard by such arguments.

The LOS rules now simply do not care about arcs and count on the specific rules to add (or not) the arc issue inside.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5