Charges and forward arc

Moderator: Council of Elders

Eru-Andon'Fang
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Charges and forward arc

Post by Eru-Andon'Fang »

If I am out of my opponents forward arc is there anyway for that unit to charge me? Even with a swift reform?

I generally use GR in an annoying run and shoot method that keeps me on the opponents flanks or rears hoping that the shooting will cause a break. Recently a situation came up where the opponent could complete a charge with just one 90 degree wheel bringing some of the models in base to base contact. But I was outside of forward arc. Was this charge able to be done or not? Are there any other circumstances where the charge could happen with me outside of forward arc?

Please refrain from commenting on the uselessness of GR. Thanks. :p
banzaj
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Re: Charges and forward arc

Post by banzaj »

I'm not the best expert concerning rules but I think it is not possible....there are some spells that can push a unit forward or towards the nearest visible enemy, but if you are out of the front arc you are safe...I think...;)
Zack
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zack »

The enemy your are charging must be in the forward arc when u declare the charge, then your allowed to wheel and complete the charge. But your are not allowed to wheel and then charge if the target are not in your forward arc from the beginning. You are only allowed to wheel up once and then you move the unit in a straight line and atleast one of your models must make contact with one of his models and then close the gap.

But only way to get around this afaik are to move again with magic spells that allow the units to move again in the magic phase. Like the Dance Macabre spell that a Vampire of VC can cast. Or our very own Call of the Hunt that are in the Lore of the Athel Loren
Eru-Andon'Fang
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Eru-Andon'Fang »

Zack wrote: But only way to get around this afaik are to move again with magic spells that allow the units to move again in the magic phase. Like the Dance Macabre spell that a Vampire of VC can cast. Or our very own Call of the Hunt that are in the Lore of the Athel Loren
Right, I would expect magic to be able to do it, but it can not be done in the move phase alone. Not even with swift reform correct? Sorry for reitterating, I just want to be absolutely sure during our next game.
Zack
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zack »

Eru-Andon'Fang wrote:
Zack wrote: But only way to get around this afaik are to move again with magic spells that allow the units to move again in the magic phase. Like the Dance Macabre spell that a Vampire of VC can cast. Or our very own Call of the Hunt that are in the Lore of the Athel Loren
Right, I would expect magic to be able to do it, but it can not be done in the move phase alone. Not even with swift reform correct? Sorry for reitterating, I just want to be absolutely sure during our next game.
No, the enemy must be in the forward arc when u declare the charge or you are not allowed to even declare the charge, that is step one of any charge.

Regarding swift reform and charges, first of all. All charges must be declared before any swift reforms of any type are made. Second of all, the only type of movement that are allowed after a swift reform are a normal move, no march etc. And you can never move closer to any enemy unit that 1 inch, unless u do charge.

Hopes this clarifies things abit atleast.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

Zack wrote:Regarding swift reform and charges, first of all. All charges must be declared before any swift reforms of any type are made. Second of all, the only type of movement that are allowed after a swift reform are a normal move, no march etc. And you can never move closer to any enemy unit that 1 inch, unless u do charge.
Exactly. Tough there may be some armies which will still be able to charge you. VCs with VanHels or Dawis with Anvil are the most notable ones - they will move normally in the movement phase and then use their magic/shooting phase to declare the charge legally.
Also, anything with random movement special rule can charge you even if you are not in their front arc, as their rules changes about to everything concerning charges.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5