Wild Rider Kindred

Moderator: Council of Elders

Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Wild Rider Kindred

Post by Shandrakor »

So when searching for a debate I'm sure we had a while back, the search function decided that all my terms were too common and I couldn't search for Wild Rider Kindred in any variation.

Anyways, the question is this: What can Wild Rider kindred characters take as far as armor is concerned right now? Obviously they start with Light Armor, a Spear, and a Longbow and can swap those out for a magical version of the same, besides the Longbow.

Now, can they take a suit of magical Heavy Armor? If not, what class of armor is the Armor of Silvered Steel? And finally, can they take other magical helms aside from the Helm of the Hunt as stated in the Wood Elf FAQ? Also, when taking said Helm, does it count as substitution for the Light Armor, or is it in addition to the Light Armor they start with?

The relevant references:
Wood Elf Codex pg 68 - Wild Rider Kindreds heading wrote:The character carries a spear and wears light armor. They may not choose any additional weapons or armour, though they may choose a magic spear or a suit of magical light armour to replace the respective item if they wish.
Wood Elf FAQ wrote:Q. Can a character with the Wild Rider Kindred take the Helm of
the Hunt? (p63)
A. Yes.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Re: Wild Rider Kindred

Post by unicorn »

Shandrakor wrote:Now, can they take a suit of magical Heavy Armor?
They may not choose any additional weapons or armour, though they may choose a magic spear or a suit of magical light armour to replace the respective item if they wish.
If not, what class of armor is the Armor of Silvered Steel?
It is an armor. Not light nor heavy.

And finally, can they take other magical helms aside from the Helm of the Hunt as stated in the Wood Elf FAQ?
They can. Then only can not replace their light armor with magical armor which is not light

Also, when taking said Helm, does it count as substitution for the Light Armor, or is it in addition to the Light Armor they start with?
Helm is helm, not armor (in the sense of light/heavy/whatever armor). Any helm is addition to any armor/shield you have, and the ruels for helmes clearly say so (can be combined with other equipment normally).

Hope this helps
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Shandrakor »

So let me get this straight as your English is a bit fuzzy to me.

You're saying that they can not take magical Heavy Armor.
They can not take the Armor of Silvered Steel.
They can take other than the Helm of the Hunt in magical Helms.
When taking a magical Helm it does not replace the basic Light Armor that they start with.

Did I get that right?
For those who care:
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Shandrakor wrote:So let me get this straight as your English is a bit fuzzy to me.
Sorry, I know my english is not the best one :(
You're saying that they can not take magical Heavy Armor.
+1
They can not take the Armor of Silvered Steel.
+1
They can take other than the Helm of the Hunt in magical Helms.
+1
When taking a magical Helm it does not replace the basic Light Armor that they start with.
+1
Did I get that right?
Completely
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

Ok, so when shield has not "armor" title and is only a "shield", WR kindred can have Enchanted Shield (if it is only 1 piece of magical armor - meaning, of course, armor in general, not armor in the title of armor) :D :lol: :p ?
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Shandrakor »

Unicorn wrote:Sorry, I know my english is not the best one :(
Oh no problem at all. It's completely understandable for a second language. I just wanted to make sure I got your answer all right.

It's kind of limiting that one blurb about only being able to use magical Light Armor. Ah well, those are the breaks with an old book I guess.
Soltari wrote:Ok, so when shield has not "armor" title and is only a "shield", WR kindred can have Enchanted Shield (if it is only 1 piece of magical armor - meaning, of course, armor in general, not armor in the title of armor) :D :lol: :p ?
Shield is armor. Even in the magic item section it is listed under the Magical Armor section. The Wild Rider Kindred can't take basic Shields, let alone magical ones, and the FAQ didn't adjust that, just to be able to take magical Helms.
For those who care:
Soltari
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Soltari »

Just to be clear - my post was not to disregard anyone, I just had fun when I tried to express what I wanted to say using "armor" argumet and made it even more complicated. :wink: