8th Edition Woods

Moderator: Council of Elders

SneakyElf
Newcomer
Newcomer

8th Edition Woods

Post by SneakyElf »

Okay, so reading through the rulebook, I cannot find any rule that impedes movement in any way for regular- sized models on foot. Even cavalry only have to take a dangerous terrain test if charging, fleeing, or pursuing. If this is the case, then when exactly does the forest strider rule for Wood Elves? The only one I can think of is if Glade Riders or Wild riders attempt to move more than their regular movement of 8' through a wood. Has 8th edition really made Wood Elves less "woody"?
It's not the army that is overpowered, it is the player.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: 8th Edition Woods

Post by unicorn »

SneakyElf wrote:Okay, so reading through the rulebook, I cannot find any rule that impedes movement in any way for regular- sized models on foot. Even cavalry only have to take a dangerous terrain test if charging, fleeing, or pursuing.

Or marching
If this is the case,
It is the case :)
then when exactly does the forest strider rule for Wood Elves? The only one I can think of is if Glade Riders or Wild riders attempt to move more than their regular movement of 8' through a wood.
It is 9" actually ;) Plus, it also works in favor of great stag/unicorn. And for WhRs/mounted Eagles, when moving on foot.
Also, you can ignore the dangerous terrain tests in Venom thicket.
Has 8th edition really made Wood Elves less "woody"?
No. It makes other armies more "woody." :D
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
SneakyElf
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by SneakyElf »

No. It makes other armies more "woody." :D
:cry: This is very unfortunate for Wood Elf Players... In 7th, you had a large advantage with woods over other players, because they were reluctant to move through them. Now it seems that everyone has the same amount of experience with woods, even Dwarfs!
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

SneakyElf wrote: :cry: This is very unfortunate for Wood Elf Players... In 7th, you had a large advantage with woods over other players, because they were reluctant to move through them. Now it seems that everyone has the same amount of experience with woods, even Dwarfs!
Lol. This is very untrue :D
Remember the very simple and overlooked fact that wood remove steadfast from ranked units and provide it to the skirmish ones. It is SO HUGE advantage, but people tends to overlook this...
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
SneakyElf
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by SneakyElf »

unicorn wrote:
Lol. This is very untrue :D
Remember the very simple and overlooked fact that wood remove steadfast from ranked units and provide it to the skirmish ones. It is SO HUGE advantage, but people tends to overlook this...
Yes, this is definitely a very good advantage, but other armies can also claim this bonus, such as Beasts of Chaos, which have lots of skirmishers :(
Now, it's not arguable that Wood Elves have NO advantages with woods, such as using tree singing to plan a careful charge into a wood with dryads, and taking away enemy steadfast bonus, but its kindof a small advantage for an army called Wood Elves
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

SneakyElf wrote:Yes, this is definitely a very good advantage, but other armies can also claim this bonus, such as Beasts of Chaos, which have lots of skirmishers :(
Rly? ;) I think you forget they have new AB. WE are the most skirmishing and most skirmish-dependant army out there. And steadfast in the woods is something you can use to BIG advantage.

And arguing about woodies not be woody enough is pretty weird, as you are basically arguing that 6th ed AB is not adapted to 8th ed rules... It is the some as move 1 month back in time and start arguing how lame it is TKs are nearly unplayable in competitive scene in this edition ;)
Painted
Finished
SneakyElf
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by SneakyElf »

unicorn wrote:
And arguing about woodies not be woody enough is pretty weird, as you are basically arguing that 6th ed AB is not adapted to 8th ed rules... It is the some as move 1 month back in time and start arguing how lame it is TKs are nearly unplayable in competitive scene in this edition ;)
You have a good point, guess I was just ranting :lol:
Son of Thranduil
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Son of Thranduil »

Enemies going into the woods is a good thing for us! We must keep that in mind.
~Milliardo~
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: High Elves, Wood Elves

Post by ~Milliardo~ »

SneakyElf wrote:Yes, this is definitely a very good advantage, but other armies can also claim this bonus, such as Beasts of Chaos, which have lots of skirmishers :(
Beasts of Chaos should probably have just as much potential in Woods as Wood Elves though - they're masters of the corrupted, evil forests, like the Forest of Shadows in the Empire in all their fluff.

It's more difficult for us to take advantage of Woods, but it can still be done. I still (quietly) contend that Skirmishing troops aren't nearly as screwed as people think - I think a lot of it comes from the fact most people don't use as much terrain as the book suggests. Skirmishers excel at fighting through woods and buildings.

It's difficult, but with some terrainhammer and clever deployment, you can sometimes dictate a fight will take place in a forest with your Skirmishers against the enemies ranked troops. I prefer Life for its ability to bring back my Treekin and Treemen, but Athel Loren can help with this a lot... A Lv. 2 with Calaingor's Stave might be a bit of a luxury at 2k or below, but I've found a place for her in my 2.5k and above lists.