Shooting into Combat

Moderator: Council of Elders

PointedDoom
Newcomer
Newcomer

Shooting into Combat

Post by PointedDoom »

Yes i know you can't generally do it...but what if you're playing with more than two people and it's a combat of entirely enemies...so there is no chance of hitting a friendly model? Thanks.
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: Shooting into Combat

Post by Shandrakor »

If you're playing a free for all maybe you could house rule it with everyone there, but otherwise, the rules are pretty explicit in the Shooting section of the BRB that you can't fire into combat unless the unit's rules say otherwise (i.e. Skaven Slaves).
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
The Shadow Sentinel
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Necrons, Dark Eldar

Post by The Shadow Sentinel »

My gaming friends and I often play games with 3-4 sides. Like Shadrakor suggested we use a house rule for this. The way we do it is this:

Firing into Combat

A player may elect to fire into a combat if there are 2 or more enemy units involved and no friendly units. Players may never fire into a challenge (the troops are too in awe of the two leaders fighting) be they enemy or otherwise.

Before any rolls to Hit, Wound, Armour, etc. The shooting player player nominates the unit he wishes shoot and rolls a D6.
On a 4+ the arrows fall into the target unit. (resolve shooting as normal).
On a 2 or 3 the shots fall on the other unit (resolve shooting on the other unit).
On a 1 the shooting unit is confused by the orders and fires half of the shots on one unit and half on the other. Models with multiple shots are assumed to fire all of their shots at the same target. If shots are uneven the extra goes to the nominated target (Resolve shots accordingly).

If there are 3 enemy units in CC its the same deal except the roll of 2 falls on one of the units not nominated and rolls of 3 fall on the other not nominated unit.
As for CC with more than 3 sides? It has never come up.

If a unit is shot at and recieves less than 25% casualties

Add the casualties onto the next round of combat for that CC.

If a unit is shot and suffers more than 25% casualties

Take a panic test as normal. If passed the casualties are added onto the next round of combat, the unit remains, however, and may fight normally in the next CC phase.

If the test is failed:

It doesn't work so well with the order of phases and turns etc. so you have a couple of options here for rules (We use the first one):
Allow the broken unit to flee and have the remaining unit immediately take appropriate rolls (Elect to pursue or not, etc.) just as through it were a regular round of combat.
Allow the broken unit to flee and have the remaining unit wait until the next CC phase that it would have attacked to take appropriate rolls (Elect to pursue or not, etc.).
Do something else.

If the unit that was fired upon is totally destroyed:

The remaining CC unit is treated as though it just won a combat against an enemy that did not flee.
Victory Points are divided up between the shooters and the remaining CC unit according to the number of kills made. Points for Characters are given to the unit that made the kill.
Any banners held by the destroyed unit may be claimed by the remaining CC unit.

Complicated? That is why I think it is not normally allowed.
Last edited by The Shadow Sentinel on 13 May 2011, 03:04, edited 4 times in total.
A single withered tree, if set aflame, causes a whole forest to burn.
sirkently
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Necrons

Post by sirkently »

That is a very reasonable house rule about shooting into combat. Personally, I would just split the shots evenly between the units, but either is fine. But why are you doing panic checks. Units in combat don't take panic checks.
The Shadow Sentinel
Newcomer
Newcomer

Ah, but units which are being shot at do. I accidentally posted before I was finished, I think it is more clear now. Unless there is some rule I am unaware of that specifically does not allow panic tests for units in CC; I am just getting familiar with eighth.
sirkently
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by sirkently »

The Shadow Sentinel wrote:Ah, but units which are being shot at do. I accidentally posted before I was finished, I think it is more clear now. Unless there is some rule I am unaware of that specifically does not allow panic tests for units in CC; I am just getting familiar with eighth.
Page 62 under the instances where you don't take panic tests. Being in combat is one of them.
The Shadow Sentinel
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hmm... In that case I have to come up with something new. Perhaps the unit is so focused on the combat they do not panic. Instead kills are added to next combat resolution. I guess this is one of the problems with house rules, they can often cause conflicts with regular rules.
sirkently
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by sirkently »

Why make up a rule. In a normal game you can be hit by shooting attacks, most notable template weapons that scatter. You just take the casualties and continue on.
The Shadow Sentinel
Newcomer
Newcomer

I suppose we could have used those rules but we never thought of it when we devised these rules. The reason we initially came up with the whole panic thing was we felt the shot unit should be treated similar to a unit being shot at normally.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by unicorn »

The Shadow Sentinel wrote:Hmm... In that case I have to come up with something new. Perhaps the unit is so focused on the combat they do not panic.
You can also threat it like a fear test - if failed, the unit will have WS1 in the next round of combat..?
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Slugg087
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves (ofc :D)

Post by Slugg087 »

If you read at page 39 in the BRB "shooting into combat" it says that you are not permitted to shoot at enemy models in combat
because of the danger of hitting your own. So you could interpret that you are allowed to shoot at two enemies engaged in
combat. Just so you know :wink:

As a suggestion to your house rules you could use the skaven slave rules as a guideline for shooting into combat with two enemies.
I personally would simplify shooting to not affect combat resolution and not cause panic tests. Just for simplicity :thumbsup: