Dwarves dispelling in pen magicphase.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Dwarves dispelling in pen magicphase.

Post by Baardah »

Question for you.... Does dwarves generate powerdice in their own magicphase so they can dispel RiP spells?
And who does the dispelling? Runesmiths? What if there arent any?
Can runesmiths get broken concentration for dispels?
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: Dwarves dispelling in pen magicphase.

Post by unicorn »

Baardah wrote:Question for you.... Does dwarves generate powerdice in their own magicphase so they can dispel RiP spells?
Yes, they do.
And who does the dispelling? Runesmiths? What if there arent any?
Noone. They dispell as "an army" - as any other army who have no wizzards. Only diffference dawis have +2 to all such rolls.
Can runesmiths get broken concentration for dispels?
No, because he is not dispelling at all. And even if yes, it will not affect anything at all, as he can not take any actions in magic phase at all ;)
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Sems very nice. Ogres shouldn't bother taking magic versus dwarves then....
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.

That item is a horse...
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Baardah wrote:Sems very nice. Ogres shouldn't bother taking magic versus dwarves then....
In fact, nearly noone should bother to take magic vs properly build Dawis and Empire.
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Post by Kulgan86 »

What do Dwarves and Empire have in the form of protection against magid / dispelling?

I know Vampire counts have an item with which they can save one powerdie for their next dipell pool and then one dispell die for the next powerdice pool etc. But what can Dwarves/Empire do?
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Kulgan86 wrote:What do Dwarves and Empire have in the form of protection against magid / dispelling?
Tons of dispel dices?
Painted
Finished
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Caitsidhe »

I used to sweat Dwarves (and Empire to a lesser degree) because of all the anti-magic ability. Then I came to understand and accept that magic in 8th Edition is really only about, at least as far as I'm concerned, the spell cast with IR. The issue is one of averages. Unless you have gone out of your way to get extra Power Dice (and there are only so many) you are going to average about 6-8 Power Dice per turn. These are the most common rolls on 2D6. Your opponent is going to have a Dispel Scroll and the larger of the two dice you rolled. This means he/she is going to have 3-5 Dispel Dice plus whatever he/she got from equipment. You are only likely, particularly as a WE player, to get one spell off a turn if you are lucky (assuming no IR).

With this grim fact held up to the light of day, one can really relax and quit wasting points on trying to build a reliable magical arsenal which is never going to happen no matter what you do. Our magic is best defined as having:

1. A Dispel Scroll. Duh. There will be a time when you need it.
2. 1-3 Spells which if cast with IR at the right time will make/break the game.
3. Do the normal Dispel as you can when you can, with focus on the other guys make/break spells that just miss IR.

That's it. That is what magic, at least for most factions, has been reduced to. When you see a guy who puts a ton of Wizards on the board you are seeing someone who hasn't gotten the unhappy truth that he/she won't have enough dice to go around anyway. What that person has purchased is options. Options are great. We, as Wood Elves, don't have them anyway so we don't have to worry about it. We get Athel Loren (mediocre except for two spells), LIfe (great if we take a Lord), and/or Beast (if we opt or took two Lords). In the short span of turns we get it is important to get certain spells off on the right target with IR or as high a number as possible. Thus, you throw six dice at such spells whenever the opportunity arises. That's it.
Kertilien
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kertilien »

Kulgan86 wrote:What do Dwarves and Empire have in the form of protection against magid / dispelling?

I know Vampire counts have an item with which they can save one powerdie for their next dipell pool and then one dispell die for the next powerdice pool etc. But what can Dwarves/Empire do?
Warrior Priests and Runesmiths generate dispel dice.

In previous editions, they were balanced against wizards that also generated a fixed number of dispel dice. Now, wizards only have a small chance of generating a single die in each phase, but the channeling rules don't apply to warrior priests and runesmiths. Unlike most armies with expensive wizards, Dwarves and Empire can purchase several extra dispel dice by fielding multiple characters and expect to have more dispel dice than their opponents have power dice almost every turn. Imagine if our Cluster of Radiants wasn't a unique spite and we could bring 3+ in every army...
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Kertilien wrote:Warrior Priests and Runesmiths generate dispel dice.
And the anvil generates a dispel die, and daws can have like unlimited No of dispel scorlls, and they can steal you one PD and change it into DD... And some more ;)
Painted
Finished
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Not to mention their rune that destroys spells on a 4+ after dispelling ;)

That item is a horse...