Magic armor question

Moderator: Council of Elders

Ahsar
Newcomer
Newcomer

Magic armor question

Post by Ahsar »

I was reading the rulebook and noticed we can only take 1 magic item per category.
so my question is can we take a magic armor like say briarsheath and a magic shield.
I would assume that we can't but my second question is about helms. like getting helm of the hunt and an enchanted shield or say a dragon helm and a magic shield.
I ran across this problem because a friend had mentioned I could not take calingors stave and a dispel scroll because they are both arcane. It was a moot point in that game because my wizard died before I could dispel anything. (though I could have used the points to purchase something else).
I am guessing the answer to both questions is no, but if anybody knows of any way to get a magic shield and either a helm or magic armor I would like to know just to have that option open.
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: Magic armor question

Post by Shandrakor »

You already stated the rule yourself. Wishful thinking isn't going to change the fact that magic Helms, Armor, and Shields, are all from the same category of magic items.

So no... you cannot use more than one of said items on the same character.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Ahsar wrote:I am guessing the answer to both questions is no, but if anybody knows of any way to get a magic shield and either a helm or magic armor I would like to know just to have that option open.
Only way is to play with ravening hordes ABs; the Enchanted shield allows you to take one more piece of magical armor together with it back there.
Other that this - no way.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Huntarolo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Huntarolo »

hmmm actually - dispel scroll is a common item and cailingors is an actual item - so yes you could take both for 25pts ea. if im right
Salamander
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood elves, Imperial Guard

Post by Salamander »

Same category, so no, no dispell scroll + calingors
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Huntarolo wrote:hmmm actually - dispel scroll is a common item and cailingors is an actual item - so yes you could take both for 25pts ea. if im right
You can not. Why?
Salamander wrote:Same category, so no, no dispell scroll + calingors
Because of this.

Anyway, rulewise - there is nothing like "common magical item" and "actual magical item." There are only magical weapons, magical armors, enchanted items, talismans, arcane items and magical banners. Consult the BRB for more details, please.
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Salamander
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood elves, Imperial Guard

Post by Salamander »

Common magical items are called common becouse all armies have access to them (well, baring the Dwarfs who like runes more than items).
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Salamander wrote:Common magical items are called common becouse all armies have access to them (well, baring the Dwarfs who like runes more than items).
Dwarfs and Daemons.
But still - rule-wise, there is nothing like "common magic item." They exists, but there is nothing "special" about them in terms of rules :)

Hope it now makes more sense. Sorry my english, I suck in explaining some more complicated ideas :(
Painted
Finished
Ahsar
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ahsar »

Thanks for the answers guys.
I already knew the answer but was hoping maybe somebody knew of a loophole since some of the wording in the rulebook left it open saying certain "rare" characters could carry more than one magic item from a category.
In the end its not a loss at all. I have more points now to include a whopping extra model (maybe two) in my army lol.