shooting through skirmishers.

Moderator: Council of Elders

bfeijter
Newcomer
Newcomer

shooting through skirmishers.

Post by bfeijter »

Hola!

I am under the impression that friendly fire trough a group of skirmishers does not give you -1 to hit. (because the target is behind soft cover)
i.e. a group of gladeguard with a dryad screen infront)
Is this correct? I cant seem to find it anymore.

If an enemy shoots your glade guard trough a group of dryad does he get -1 to hit?
untravel
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: shooting through skirmishers.

Post by untravel »

Shooting through skirmishers is actually -2 to hit, friendly or not. The rule is on BRB page 41 in the paragraph titled "Target Behind Hard Cover". (The second sentence, about 'intervening units'.)

The way I usually use my Dryads to screen my Glade Guard is like this: 1) Deploy Dryads in one long rank as far forward as you can (12" from the edge in the standard Battleline scenario). 2 units of 12 Dryads with one inch between them, for example, gives you a screen about 36" inches long. 2) Deploy your Glade Guard a few inches (3-4") behind this screen. A unit of Glade Guard with 10 in front is only about 8" wide, so there's lot of flexibility in deployment.

If your opponent gets the first turn, he's either -1 to hit your Dryads (skirmishers) -2 to hit shooting your Glade Guard etc (hard cover) . When it's your turn, just march/reform the Dryads out of the way and shoot. i usually try to avoid shooting through any unit, because I want to maximize the effectiveness of my shots. With Wood Elves' high movement, it's pretty easy to get things lined up right, at least at the beginning of the game (before things get all close combat messy). If you want to extend the effectiveness of the Dryad screen, move them toward your opponent's shooty units. That way, you have a wide selection of targets to chose from, and he's stuck shooting your cheap, T4, 5+Ward save unit.

Watch out for attacks that don't use ballistic skill, though. A Dryad screen won't block true line of sight. So magic missiles, most war machines, and special shooters that 'always hit on (something)+) will go right through.

Hope that helps. Long live the Dryad screen!
Tournaments: Dice Day 2011, 10th Conflict (2011), Grand Belgian Open (2011)
Results (W-L-D): 2-4-3
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: shooting through skirmishers.

Post by unicorn »

It is exactly as untravel stated; only if you play under ETC rules, then the skirmishers provides only soft cover instead of hard (ETC house rule)
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5