Negating ranks

Moderator: Council of Elders

Dark Carrot9
Newcomer
Newcomer

Negating ranks

Post by Dark Carrot9 »

can soomeone please explain how you negate rank bonus?
RaF is getting annoying in my tactics

Moved to the Pool of Enlightenment ~ Beithir
I don't have the money to play this game!
I will not yield to evil; unless she's cute.
LordTobiothan
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood elf

Re: Negating ranks

Post by LordTobiothan »

Flank/Rear charge with a US5+ non-skirmishing unit
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Strongbow »

So, let me pull out what was said above a little.

It's less likely that you will negate rank bonuses with a wood elf army, as most of our CC troops are going to be fast cav or skirmishers.

However, the way to negate rank bonuses to CR is to get a flank attack or a rear attack against the unit in question.

Now, negating rank bonus is different from getting a bunus to CR for a flank or a rear. You can get the +1 CR for flanking and/or +2 CR for rear attacks. Those bonuses will help to counterbalance the static CR from your oponent's ranks, but it will not negate them.

The wood elf army works best as a swarm army on the charge.
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

The 'best' rank negater is 1 x 5+ WR in the flank or rear. Other units, such as GR or even GG can do it, but are very squishy.. Dryads/WD in the front, WR in the flank/rear will see of an awful lot of units.
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Mivari
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Mivari »

just a supplement question question does a combo charge in the flanks AND the rear, lest say WR in the rear and dryads in the flank give 3 CR and neglet ranks ?
-Mivari
Splintercell
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Splintercell »

Mivari wrote:just a supplement question question does a combo charge in the flanks AND the rear, lest say WR in the rear and dryads in the flank give 3 CR and neglet ranks ?
Yes, 2 CR for rear charge, 1 CR for flank, and as long as you have a non-skirmishing unit (like cavalry) at US5+, then you negate rank bonus. Remember, flank and rear CR cannot stack (so two units rear charging only give 2 CR, not 4), and it only applies on the turn you charged.
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

Splintercell wrote:
Mivari wrote:just a supplement question question does a combo charge in the flanks AND the rear, lest say WR in the rear and dryads in the flank give 3 CR and neglet ranks ?
Yes, 2 CR for rear charge, 1 CR for flank, and as long as you have a non-skirmishing unit (like cavalry) at US5+, then you negate rank bonus. Remember, flank and rear CR cannot stack (so two units rear charging only give 2 CR, not 4), and it only applies on the turn you charged.
Clarifications-flank and flank does not stack nor does rear and rear but flank and rear does.

Correction-it works in every round but gets complicated when you have multiple rear charges from both players

And on an earlier point: treekin in the flank are nasty if you can get them there.
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
Splintercell
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Splintercell »

Splintercell wrote:Remember, flank and rear CR cannot stack (so two units rear charging only give 2 CR, not 4)
Mist, thanks for clarifying, that was poorly worded.
Mist Walker wrote:Correction-it works in every round but gets complicated when you have multiple rear charges from both players
Touche, I guess I haven't played long enough to encounter a multiple flank assault that lasted more than one combat. Otherwise, if there was just a single rear or flank and neither unit broke, then the unit that got flanked/reared would turn to face the enemy to the front, therefore no more flank/rear bonus.

Oh man that could get messy indeed. Say Unit A gets charged into the left flank by B, and the right flank by C. If, in the next turn, A faces the front of B, then is C considered to be at the rear, and therefore get +2 combat res? That just seems weird to me.