Negating ranks

Moderator: Council of Elders

Negating ranks

Postby Dark Carrot9 » 01 May 2010, 14:41

can soomeone please explain how you negate rank bonus?
RaF is getting annoying in my tactics

Moved to the Pool of Enlightenment ~ Beithir
I don't have the money to play this game!
I will not yield to evil; unless she's cute.
Dark Carrot9
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Negating ranks

Postby LordTobiothan » 01 May 2010, 20:01

Flank/Rear charge with a US5+ non-skirmishing unit
LordTobiothan
Horsemaster
User avatar Horsemaster

Postby Strongbow » 07 May 2010, 21:58

So, let me pull out what was said above a little.

It's less likely that you will negate rank bonuses with a wood elf army, as most of our CC troops are going to be fast cav or skirmishers.

However, the way to negate rank bonuses to CR is to get a flank attack or a rear attack against the unit in question.

Now, negating rank bonus is different from getting a bunus to CR for a flank or a rear. You can get the +1 CR for flanking and/or +2 CR for rear attacks. Those bonuses will help to counterbalance the static CR from your oponent's ranks, but it will not negate them.

The wood elf army works best as a swarm army on the charge.
Strongbow
Bladesinger
User avatar Bladesinger

Postby ArchMagosAlchemys » 08 May 2010, 01:27

The 'best' rank negater is 1 x 5+ WR in the flank or rear. Other units, such as GR or even GG can do it, but are very squishy.. Dryads/WD in the front, WR in the flank/rear will see of an awful lot of units.
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
User avatar Former Council Elder (1)

Postby Mivari » 08 May 2010, 10:29

just a supplement question question does a combo charge in the flanks AND the rear, lest say WR in the rear and dryads in the flank give 3 CR and neglet ranks ?
-Mivari
Mivari
Newcomer
User avatar Newcomer

Postby Splintercell » 08 May 2010, 17:19

Mivari wrote:just a supplement question question does a combo charge in the flanks AND the rear, lest say WR in the rear and dryads in the flank give 3 CR and neglet ranks ?

Yes, 2 CR for rear charge, 1 CR for flank, and as long as you have a non-skirmishing unit (like cavalry) at US5+, then you negate rank bonus. Remember, flank and rear CR cannot stack (so two units rear charging only give 2 CR, not 4), and it only applies on the turn you charged.
Splintercell
Newcomer
User avatar Newcomer

Postby Mist Walker » 08 May 2010, 21:54

Splintercell wrote:
Mivari wrote:just a supplement question question does a combo charge in the flanks AND the rear, lest say WR in the rear and dryads in the flank give 3 CR and neglet ranks ?

Yes, 2 CR for rear charge, 1 CR for flank, and as long as you have a non-skirmishing unit (like cavalry) at US5+, then you negate rank bonus. Remember, flank and rear CR cannot stack (so two units rear charging only give 2 CR, not 4), and it only applies on the turn you charged.

Clarifications-flank and flank does not stack nor does rear and rear but flank and rear does.

Correction-it works in every round but gets complicated when you have multiple rear charges from both players

And on an earlier point: treekin in the flank are nasty if you can get them there.
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
User avatar Campaign Team (1) Former Council Elder (1)

Postby Splintercell » 09 May 2010, 03:42

Splintercell wrote:Remember, flank and rear CR cannot stack (so two units rear charging only give 2 CR, not 4)

Mist, thanks for clarifying, that was poorly worded.
Mist Walker wrote:Correction-it works in every round but gets complicated when you have multiple rear charges from both players

Touche, I guess I haven't played long enough to encounter a multiple flank assault that lasted more than one combat. Otherwise, if there was just a single rear or flank and neither unit broke, then the unit that got flanked/reared would turn to face the enemy to the front, therefore no more flank/rear bonus.

Oh man that could get messy indeed. Say Unit A gets charged into the left flank by B, and the right flank by C. If, in the next turn, A faces the front of B, then is C considered to be at the rear, and therefore get +2 combat res? That just seems weird to me.
Splintercell
Newcomer
User avatar Newcomer

Return to The Pool of Enlightenment (Old Army Book)