Screaming Bell gives large target to a unit

Moderator: Council of Elders

Exarch
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Craftworld Alaitoc, Sisters of Sigmar, the Possessed

Screaming Bell gives large target to a unit

Post by Exarch »

Since I don't own the Skaven book I was kind of unable to make any decision whether to agree or disagree with these guys:
http://underempire.net/index.php?showtopic=30961

Is the Bell Large Target? If it is does it "give" that rule to the pushing unit? This is how those players at the underempire seem to interpret it. That would indeed shield weapon teams from shooters on a hill.

I want to think that the pushing unit isn't blocking LoS in any special, 'large', way. Please, give your opinions and facts.
Last edited by Exarch on 14 Jan 2010, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Athel Loren. Where deployment zones are never too crowded!
lune
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: woodies, building up gobbo and demon tzeentch

Re: Screaming Bell gives large target to a unit

Post by lune »

The bell itself is a large target. You can either shoot at it (and as far as I recall randomise between bell and unit) and gain the +1 to shoot or shoot the unit (which itself is no large target) and thus get no bonus. In 6th edition there was a similar unit - a slann that counted as lage target inside a unit of temple guards..
So all in all, the bell can block LoS from hills, the unit itself not.
The Golden Arrow
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Empire

Post by The Golden Arrow »

What part of the large target rules says that it blocks los to hills? Of course you can play it that way, but the only things that are in the rulebook is that large target can be seen/see over other units (except large targets) and you get +1 to hit.
We've all heard of ninja horses and wild rider horses are much better than normal horses so they must be super ninjas......right?

The Golden Ninja :ninja:
The Virgin Forest
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WoC, WE and VC and working on 40K DH

Post by The Virgin Forest »

The Golden Arrow wrote:What part of the large target rules says that it blocks los to hills? Of course you can play it that way, but the only things that are in the rulebook is that large target can be seen/see over other units (except large targets) and you get +1 to hit.
The rules for terrain are vague at best Golden Arrow, so expect quite a few differences between gaming environments :)
– it is said that the apples of Athel Loren gain their deep red hue from the blood of its enemies soaking the ground.
The Golden Arrow
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Empire

Post by The Golden Arrow »

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant. If people play it that way it's fine, but you shouldn't expect everyone to play like that.
We've all heard of ninja horses and wild rider horses are much better than normal horses so they must be super ninjas......right?

The Golden Ninja :ninja:
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

Indeed. People can play what they like, but if what they like is not what the rules say, it makes it difficult to offer advice because few of us play that way.

The best answer for this question may be 'play the rules as they are written'
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
ethsar46
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by ethsar46 »

The bell doesnt "give" the unit as a whole the +1 to hit as a large target, and hits DONT randomise between the unit and the bell at all.

Because its a Large Target and over US5 it can be picked out of the unit seperately by shooting which you would get the +1 to hit.

This really is more important for the Furnace as it has not AS or Ward on either the furnace itself or the rider (unless he takes magic items) which can actually make them quite easy to take out when you factor in the fact that redirectors will see that the furnace unit never sees combat all game.