Moving on from 8th

For threads that relate to Non-Asrai Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmaster or any other wargame.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Moving on from 8th

Post by Slobber »

So with the death of the WFB tournament scene in my neck of the woods. I've moved on to Malifaux, and some of my club mates have moved on to Kings of war.
I've really enjoyed Malifaux so far it's got some very nice game mechanics, and a very low cost of entry. (A crew box runs $40-50 and you'll add another $20-$40 filling you your crew)
I'm looking forward to playing KOW as I would like to get some use out of the 3 armies I've got collecting dust.
Anyone have any experience with either of these games ? Or what are you fine fellows (and ladies) playing these days?
war without fire is as worthless as sausages without mustard
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Re: Moving on from 8th

Post by Etheneus »

I haven't tried those. I continue with 8th with one in my gaming group but have gone to 9th with the rest of the group. The one I play 8th with doesn't want to play 9th before it's finished.
I like the balance of 9th, feel like they did a good job but I don't see why they've made some of the changes. Some have certainly come out of whining, like our waywatchers losing the negate armor shot. Sure now they can shoot all types of magical arrows but I still miss the shot, and we have lost the waystalker, come on! Sniper wasn't that good!
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

When you are playing with waywatchers for a long time, year or two of Sniper rule on one guy isn't nothing more than some illusion. Thing is 9th Age simplified things, that's why some things got lost, and even more importantly emphasis is on balance. For example, imagine waystalker with magical arrows in addition to sniper rule.

I know everybody think Wood Elves became ridiculously weak, but there are three guys working hard to amend things up. If nothing else, don't say 9th Age is stupid or idiotic because people are trying their best to do something for the community, and none of those guys gets paid for the time they spend on straightening those things (I know you didn't say that, mr. Etheneus, this has nothing to do with you or your comment about waystalker; in fact, I miss kindreds also, which involves waystalker character as well).

Everything is still in... diapers. Maybe colleague of yours, mr. Etheneus, is right not to play 9th before it is finished. Beta is around the corner, stay tuned. Might turn out to be good.

I don't like Malifaux at all. Probably it's because we fool around with it, but the system which uses cards is unnatural and I can't incorporate it into tabletop wargaming. Also, the setting doesn't suits me at all, and I'm all about the fluff. This fluff doesn't interests me.

Kings of War I have never tried, so I can't judge that. But I tried Armies of Arcana. It's somewhat more realistic system than Warhammer, but it lacks the spirit, or fluff which is, as I said, crucial for me.

I also have Warmahordes' Circle Orboros army. It's okay, but at local club you have no one to play against. I like the rules for it and I like the fluff, but collecting it is very pricey.

Have you tried Mordheim? I know it is totally different format than warhammer, but if you like roleplaying games, this might be interesting thing to try.
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Still playing 8th.

Tournaments still going strong in England.
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

In our meta the most of fantasy guys tried Malifaux, and they seem to really enjoy it. One or two guys continued to play 8th and I and a few others started to play KOW.

I can comment about KOW as i am one of the very few people playing it in my country (And our meta is only a few hundreds total player). KOW is a really enjoyable game, really easy to learn. The rules are simple but the strategy part of the game is very rich. You do not have to memorize lots of special rules (which is the downside of 40K and fantasy in my opinion), but without sound movement tactics you will not probably win. The magic is only for supporting. You will not win any game with pure luck on dice.

When the 9th is accepted by ETC, nearly all of the active fantasy players turned to 9th and they are started to play it. I liked the direction of the 9th, but it still has a few things to be fixed. I myself did not understand why they brought new special, character and weapon rules as the existing ones was not broken in the first place. (If it ain't broken then don't fix it attitude)

This year I personaly am concentrating on 40K as i applied to the 40K team, but i will definetly play KOW and 9th in the future.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

razorfate wrote:I myself did not understand why they brought new special, character and weapon rules as the existing ones was not broken in the first place. (If it ain't broken then don't fix it attitude)
I feel that a lot of ETC players were never happy with 8th out of the box (or even lightly comped).
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

I hope the community behind 9th age can make a strong product. You guys make it sound like the designers have fallen into some of the same problems as GW. Hopefully the rules and restrictions aren't too arbitrary. Maybe Way-Watchers don't need to ignore armor... but I really like shooting into combat. I guess I'll wait until beta and see where they are at then?
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Slobber »

Phil Rossiter wrote:Still playing 8th.

Tournaments still going strong in England.
That's good, we've sadly seen a dramatic drop off here. No point in practicing for an 8 man tourney.
war without fire is as worthless as sausages without mustard
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

We've always been a bit spoiled for choice. Uncomped tourney? Yep. Light comp? Yep. ETC? Yep. There's a bit of a North/South distance split but nothing like the US and plenty of events in the Midlands. 8th and AoS are well supported, KoW is growing and 9th Age just starting up.

I feel 9th Age should be great, if you like an ETC style of play.
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Post by Etheneus »

Yuri wrote:When you are playing with waywatchers
I know everybody think Wood Elves became ridiculously weak, but there are three guys working hard to amend things up. If nothing else, don't say 9th Age is stupid or idiotic because people are trying their best to do something for the community, and none of those guys gets paid for the time they spend on straightening those things (I know you didn't say that, mr. Etheneus, this has nothing to do with you or your comment about waystalker; in fact, I miss kindreds also, which involves waystalker character as well).

Everything is still in... diapers. Maybe colleague of yours, mr. Etheneus, is right not to play 9th before it is finished. Beta is around the corner, stay tuned. Might turn out to be good..
No worries, I don't take offence easily. I know the 9th age people are doing a hell of a work and I really enjoy it so far. I just think that not allowing two steam tanks or terror gheist seems to be a little too harsh.
And yes my friend does have a good point not playing yet but if you don't you won't learn or test it for the guys at 9th.
It is really enjoyable so far and I like the simplicity. Still miss the sniper though, just for the gimmick.