Got tired of Nagash killing my Forest.

For threads that relate to Non-Asrai Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmaster or any other wargame.

Moderator: Council of Elders

bozo69pd
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Nurgle CSM/Daemons

Got tired of Nagash killing my Forest.

Post by bozo69pd »

Nagash is clearly OP in AoS! I got a few revenge games in as payback the other night. I want to like AoS as I love skirmish and have a bunch of 8th edition models… but the simplicity of the rules is hard for me to resist abusing… such blatantly powerful combos…

For example my Eldar buddy D weapons my Daemons to death all the time. So when we play AoS and he plays Death faction (he brings Nagash to that jerk!) I simply smile…

I place Belakor, Fateweaver, LoC (my warlord) on the board like 24″ away from nagash or however close I can get them. I now go first. I also get a Sudden Death mission since my buddy has 100 wounds to my less than 40. I like assassinate, he often picks Nagash.

I curse Nagash with belakor just in case something goes wrong. I use LoC command ability for +1 to cast then begin to summon first Balewind Vortex for more +1 to cast then summon more LoC Then I can nuke for double range where it can’t be unbound so 36″. I generally like to summon 10-30 LoC because it’s really really hard to fail these casts… all while putting a vortex under all of them (I converted like 20 of them). After using their Infinite Gateway spell thing for each LoC that is usually like 40-80 mortal wounds on Nagash and I win the game before move phase.

One time when playing around I used Fateweavers Gift of Change on Nagash and changed the d6 result to 1 million. This is before we house ruled result changes have to be within possible parameters. I admit I was bitter because we were arguing whether his seer council runes of fate shenanigans got re rolls for my invisibility (he won this argument by saying re rolls aren’t modifiers).

Am I a bad person?
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Re: Got tired of Nagash killing my Forest.

Post by overtninja »

The question is - do either you or your friend actually have fun playing the way you are playing? There doesn't seem to be any on-board strategy happening, and I can't imagine reducing a tabletop game to a mental exercise where the outcome is inevitable before the first model is placed could be satisfying for either party. :s

I think you both are focusing too much on winning by any means, to be honest. The tactics that happen on the table and developing an army composition that allows for interesting play are far more interesting than figuring out first-turn kill strategies that remove the whole 'playing the game' aspect from the game.
bozo69pd
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by bozo69pd »

I totally agree Overtninja. The thing is I know that if I don’t do that then on his first turn he will summon 300 wounds worth of models, and Nagash beats everyone else at a summoning battle. He also owns far more models than me.

AoS feels to me like playing Magic the Gathering modern format except you have access to your whole library at all times. You start the game with the win condition in your hand. So does your opponent. You can either combo off right away or try to slow play for more of a game, then when you start to lose go ahead and combo off… but then that isn’t really a game either.

It will be nice when some WHF tourneys put together some tournament rules- then we will play by those. Everything else is just experimenting by mutually handicapping each other until we can have a fair game.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Could you design some sort of campaign with some smallish skirmishes followed by small battles and lead up to the big stuff.

Or if you regularly play games which only last a turn because of powerful characters suggest to play two or three games back to back but house rule that you can't use the same characters in different games.

But like overnight ninja has said, don't think the question is are you a bad person but should be are you guys having fun and getting the most use out of your toys?
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
bozo69pd
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by bozo69pd »

Yeah I am working on that at the moment (although this should be GW's job). I think we are going to rule that we have to use formations (since our armies have them) of x wounds and then we can use y additional wounds of models. I think we will have to remove the sudden death rules. Too abusable. I think we will add 40k tactical objective cards to our game as well since we enjoy them and that seems a balancing factor somewhat.

The problem is that summoning needs some sort of cap. I have no problem with him raising 100 zombies, that seems like something undead would do at the start of the battle. I simply warp in daemons, also fluffy. When there is no incentive to not have your army consist of 100% wizards that can then bring in 500 wounds and have a higher chance of then unbinding the opponent spells who starts second... well that is just over the top.